Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay, not going to the one in dayton today. I want to but I need to make progress on installing the flooring here so I have a place to put my drat toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Got in my McJoker, and honestly, it's pretty badass. Kinda bigger than I thought, but any figure that comes with a big mac and fries and a drink is awesome.

He has some extra hair pieces that I need to figure out how to attach though.

I'd honestly pay good money for a Burger King wearing a bat cowl to pop next to him.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

This interview with Super 7 head honcho Brian Flynn is great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBlTovm1eN4

I have not been shy here about my love for Thundercats and the fantastic toys Super 7 are making for them, and this interview made me feel even better about supporting this company and this cool guy that runs it. He seems 100% dedicated to making a Thundercats line that has the depth of MOTU Classics, with the next two years of figures already planned, which is very exciting. He said preorders have been consistently strong for the first four waves, and it seems like he's making the right moves to keep it going indefinitely. The made-to-order business model is smart, but he's also really up-front about the pros and cons and wise to the secondary market. This is a guy who's got his heart in the right place and his head on straight, who obviously cares a lot about the product he makes and the fans who buy it, and it's refreshing to see. A really nice change of pace compared to these mass market companies repeatedly shafting collectors with store exclusives and stuff.

I want to support this rad company, I encourage others to do so, and honestly I kinda want to have some beers with this dude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I love Super7’s Kenner style Alien stuff. Their Planet of The Apes line is pretty cool too, I bought a friend the Lawgiver statue last year and it’s fantastic looking.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well if Super7 was smart they would do a preorder for older figures every 6-12 months to kill that secondary market and to get the money that would otherwise go to scalpers.

Like I am not going to be able to get their New Japan figures and it kills me especially since I know I will end up spending 3x the cost to get them on the secondary market when I have the money to do so.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Djarum posted:

Well if Super7 was smart they would do a preorder for older figures every 6-12 months to kill that secondary market and to get the money that would otherwise go to scalpers.

This was actually something he talked about in some depth in that interview. To paraphrase:
The company is relatively new and relatively small, and there's been a bit of an issue so far where a few items have not really seen serious demand until after it gets released, and people suddenly realize it exists or it's something they want, and it kind of explodes on the secondary market. They don't really like to see that happen, because they want to be able to meet demand as precisely as possible, and if it's going for $400 on eBay it's not like they see any of that money, it's lose-lose. This was particularly bad with the first wave of their new TMNT line, with a lot of people wanting to jump on board with wave 2/3 that missed out on those first figures, so eBay prices skyrocketed day of release. They're ramping up production on the later waves to stock more for retail partners like BBTS (without an official second round of preorders), and also looking at how they can reissue wave 1 as soon as possible. The plan with reissues is it's different enough so people know they got the originals or not, but also not so different that people don't like the reissue, or that people feel the need to get both. As an example, he wants to do the weapon racks in darker brown for the TMNT reissue; it would be obvious to the eye but the average customer should be happy with one or the other.

He said if they sold something at $45 and it's going for $55 on eBay, that doesn't really warrant a reissue, but there are cases where the demand is clearly there to do it.

Personally I jumped on board really late with Thundercats, but I ordered through BBTS... Wave 1 is still fully in stock there at retail price, even though they're already on wave 4 now on the Super 7 website. You don't necessarily have to pay 3x if you miss the official preorder window, because retailers preorder in large numbers and might have them for a while.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

HISS Tank showed up!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I feel safe knowing they won't bring out a retro sky striker and thus is my wallet safe.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
I actually really like Super 7. The main guy is really cool in interviews and seems genuinely enthusiastic (unlike the Neca guy, who comes off as combative). Reaction figures aside, I have both their Toxies and their GITD Baxter Stockman. The builds are solid and the sculpts are great.

Also they really like their GITD, so that's a huge plus for me too.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

That is one big box.

https://twitter.com/super7store/status/1312441127157460992?s=21

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I hope Mattel offers that in some manner when they receive the mold.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Xenomrph posted:

Stay home and play with your unending mountain of toys, and revert back to a child-like state.

This is the way.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Over the past month or so I've found all but one of the Strong Guy BAF wave. The only one that I haven't seen on shelves is Pirate Deadpool. I seem to remember people whining about that one, that one one would want that garbage figure. Luckily Amazon had it in stock this morning when I checked, and I can complete Strong Guy next week.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Not to keep going on about this, but for those who don't want to watch it: In that interview he talked a bit about Snake Mountain. He said the main issue right now is it's so large that the entire factory is full after producing 25% of their order, which means they have to ship those out before they even have room to produce more, so it's going to be manufactured/shipped in 4 big waves over ~4 months, just due to the sheer physical limitations. He compared it to "a piece of furniture." It won't be possible to ship everyone's orders at once, which sucks, but for the most part it's going to go region by region.

They're not averse to doing more large-scale items in the future, but it's a pretty serious undertaking by the sound of it.

Fingers crossed for a Thundertank!

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Are they shipping these freight? I feel like UPS/FedEx are going to be like “oh hell no”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thundertank isn't going to be nearly that big.

Cats Lair though...

Edit: Heard about another dude with a setup in an antique mall and found three more 200X figures!

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 3, 2020

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

A Cats' Lair would rule, but I think it's more toy than I could even handle. The old LJN one was one of the largest playsets ever made!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

A Cats' Lair would rule, but I think it's more toy than I could even handle. The old LJN one was one of the largest playsets ever made!

Was it? It didn't seem all that big. Did anything really weigh in at FLAG or Eternia levels?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Was it? It didn't seem all that big. Did anything really weigh in at FLAG or Eternia levels?

It was behind those two, but certainly bigger than Grayskull.

If they made one properly to scale with the figures, it would be the size of a van... but the same is probably true of most of these locations, as seen on the TV shows.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It was behind those two, but certainly bigger than Grayskull.

If they made one properly to scale with the figures, it would be the size of a van... but the same is probably true of most of these locations, as seen on the TV shows.

I remember it being taller than Grayskull but the footprint was kind of small. The main thing that hurts them creating one for their new line is the idea that the Thundertank can carry like 6 of the team and fit under the paw of the fortress. So they'll likely go the Classics Grayskull route. The front will look accurate but be massively scaled down.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm really hoping for a Thundertank that's properly to scale, which would only need to be about 2 feet long, but it would be ridiculous to try to make a Lair to scale. If they do it at all, I'm sure it would not be much bigger than the old toy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I'm really hoping for a Thundertank that's properly to scale, which would only need to be about 2 feet long, but it would be ridiculous to try to make a Lair to scale. If they do it at all, I'm sure it would not be much bigger than the old toy.

The new Snake Mountain is loving HUGE. Like 3 or 4 times taller than the original. LION-O DERSEVES THE SAME TREATMENT

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Hey, I won't argue with that.

And if they want to make a Lair the size of a van, I won't stop them! I just don't know if I could ever find room for the thing...

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Djarum posted:

Like I am not going to be able to get their New Japan figures and it kills me especially since I know I will end up spending 3x the cost to get them on the secondary market when I have the money to do so.

Just BBTS that poo poo then you can pay when it arrives.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Has anyone successfully drilled through Snake Eyes' knife sheath in order to get the knife to fit? I'm scared of ruining it if I try, but it bugs me so much.

If anyone ended up with a Snake Eyes with a working knife sheath (that the knife fits in) but doesn't really care about it, I'd trade you the knife sheath from mine plus something like $5 for your trouble.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Has anyone successfully drilled through Snake Eyes' knife sheath in order to get the knife to fit? I'm scared of ruining it if I try, but it bugs me so much.

If anyone ended up with a Snake Eyes with a working knife sheath (that the knife fits in) but doesn't really care about it, I'd trade you the knife sheath from mine plus something like $5 for your trouble.

I did, it's not that tough if you have a Dremel Tool and one of those cutting wheels? To make a vertical cut through the bottom of the sheath, basically making it more like a holster where the knife can go through it?

LMK if you need pics or whatever. It didn't affect aesthetics at all.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Nanigans posted:

These both rule.

I got my Yamaguchi All Might today, and he does indeed rule. Haven't had time to take photos yet, but I am definitely satisfied with him. He can get a bit gappy depending on how you pose him, and I think maybe the Deku is better at that. But All Might definitely has better proportions,

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

I used a precision screwdriver and just soft-drilled to fit.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Joe Gillian posted:

I used a precision screwdriver and just soft-drilled to fit.

"Soft-drilled" -- so you just twisted it by hand, or connected the screwdriver to a drill? Sorry.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

"Soft-drilled" -- so you just twisted it by hand, or connected the screwdriver to a drill? Sorry.

Just twisted it by hand, then kinda scraped out the excess plastic.

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Has anyone here ever bought something from ohmyprimus?

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Dale-Taco posted:

Has anyone here ever bought something from ohmyprimus?

Oh yes, all the time. They're my go to for a lot of things, they can sometimes be a bit inconsistent about stocking certain lines but that aside I've never had a problem with them

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Welp the ML retro Black Cat figure is already sold out on Pulse.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Xenomrph posted:

Welp the ML retro Black Cat figure is already sold out on Pulse.

The gently caress?

When was that even announced? Man, this thread is failing hard lately.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I only just got the email from Pulse that it was up on the site, and it was already gone.

It doesn’t seem to be on Amazon (yet).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's on BBTS for $3 more:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/137332

Edit: And EE for only $1 more:
https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/HSF0864?rs_oid_rd=2640086332503691

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 5, 2020

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Pulse still hasn't shipped my snake eyes. Are they normally this slow?? Like shouldn't the manufacturer's website be the one that ships fastest?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Dale-Taco posted:

Pulse still hasn't shipped my snake eyes. Are they normally this slow?? Like shouldn't the manufacturer's website be the one that ships fastest?

They can be sorta behind the curve.

No it doesn’t make sense to me, either.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Man, the announcement that Hot Toys was doing Marvel Zombies trolled me pretty hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Dale-Taco posted:

They've shipped my snake eyes but my profit destro was expected to ship on the 1st and they still haven't sent that out.