Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So in the Phasmophobia tutorial level, what do the keys that you can find do? I found one on a counter in the kitchen, and one on a workbench in the garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'll play with goons. Seems like a fun Coronaween month game.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My steam id is blcannad

I'll be on tonight. And also other nights. What with the pandemic and all.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played Phasmophobia tonight. Scared the poo poo out of me. Played first alone while friends watched, then they bought the game and joined. Oooh we were terrible at it, but looking forward to playing it again.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

God drat the school stage in Siren was rough, literally took me a third of the time I'd already put into the game to beat that one mission. Kept dying trying to find the little girl, thanks for also having two different locations she could be, one right back at the start lol

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I played Phasophobia with some randos tonight. No one in the first game had a mic, so they got to listen to me sing to ghosts. I also didn't realize they could see my movements in VR, so they also got to see me dance and point everything I thought was ghost-related. Then I got booted from four groups for being level 1. Then I found a chill group for a few games. Super fun and spooky stuff!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

My Steam ID is Xenomrph, I’m down for spooking it up with goons.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Silent Hill 4: The Room is on GOG. I wonder if this means the other Silent Hill games will get re-released on PC?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

al-azad posted:

Silent Hill 4: The Room is on GOG. I wonder if this means the other Silent Hill games will get re-released on PC?

I think that depends on if the old pc ports will even run on a modern system anymore without a ton of effort. Konami is all about the bare minimum amount of effort to resell their old games currently.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Apparently they fixed it so the cutscenes run at 30fps instead of 15 now

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I’m honestly tempted to pick it up even though I know I hate large amounts of that game.

The bits SH4 nails it really nails.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I think that depends on if the old pc ports will even run on a modern system anymore without a ton of effort. Konami is all about the bare minimum amount of effort to resell their old games currently.

I can confirm SH3 runs on Windows 7, or at least it did when I played it a few years back

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The real Forbidden Siren starts here

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
From the RE thread, I hear the SH4 port is absolutely godawful, so I recommend people be careful when buying it.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

So in the Phasmophobia tutorial level, what do the keys that you can find do? I found one on a counter in the kitchen, and one on a workbench in the garage.

They show up in your journal for what they are. I think they then let you open those doors, like a back or side door to go outside. The houses have a car in the garage that can have the alarm set off. Having the key lets you click it to turn off.

I don't believe they let you open the doors that the ghost locks when angry at you. Once in one of the farmhouses there was no door on the side so that made it rather helpful to run from the angry ghost.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

From the RE thread, I hear the SH4 port is absolutely godawful, so I recommend people be careful when buying it.

Par for the course with Konami's ports then.

What I watched of people playing it on twitch it seemed fine at least.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm sure a competent porting-studio like Night Dive would kill to bring back these old-rear end Konami titles.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm sure a competent porting-studio like Night Dive would kill to bring back these old-rear end Konami titles.

I would love that to happen but Konami don’t give a poo poo about giving the fans what they want, just the absolute bare minimum expenditure to turn a profit. And they’d never part with their licenses. Aggregates me so much that Silent Hill and Metal Gear are basically dead now.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The day has finally arrived. Spooky's Jumpscare Mansion is getting the long-awaited new DLC - The Doll House. The free version of Spooky will get this as paid DLC. If you have the HD Renovation version, it'll be a free download. In fact, you should already have an update pending.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Anyone else having a lot of trouble with the in-game chat? I was playing with two friends and we couldn’t get the in-game chat to cooperate so we spent an hour and a half starting, quitting, remaking the game room, rebooting, changing who was hosting, over and over and over and over until I just said “gently caress it, this is stupid”

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I've heard people have issues. It has something to do with windows, there's a thread on steam discussion talking about fixing it, so try that. Also I've heard that alt-tabbing out of the game can break the voice chat? Anecdotally. I dunno I played it after joining after some friends struggled with it for a bit and didn't have a single issue.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
I fixed up my Phasmophobia tips a touch, namely, fixing the section about talking to the ghost. You do not wanna say the name when asking questions, as that will overwrite the question asked and simply piss off the ghost more until it attacks quicker than it would otherwise. You want to actually provoke it into doing something spooky or getting someone possibly killed? Then yes, scream the name all you want. :v:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Not exactly a horror game at all but I know a lot of us liked Painscreek Killings and want games in that free form mystery solving mold so if that sounds like you go buy Paradise Killer.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Phasmophobia is legit some of the funniest poo poo. Was playing it with a friend who was on VR and we did the haunted farmhouse one and the objectives were to take a picture of a ghost and witness an event. It also said saying the name of the ghost pisses it off like crazy. So after we stuffed a cot with every teddybear we could find we located the room with the highest ghost presence by use of the thermostat and edm to then start shouting HIS NAME IS ROBERT WHITE. The ghost started flickering all the lights in the house, the radio was blaring murder, we were seeing our breaths and all of the doors to the outside were locked shut. The ghost then chased us down and sent me to the blindfold dimension. We also didn't get a photo of the drat thing even

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So as somebody without VR or much familiarity with the game, is it something that has voice recognition so you can “talk” to the ghosts, it sounds like?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just got the Kyoya Suda badass shibuito slayer ending in Forbidden Siren lol

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So as somebody without VR or much familiarity with the game, is it something that has voice recognition so you can “talk” to the ghosts, it sounds like?

Yes, you use your microphone and the ghosts have certain phrases they react to via Windows’ voice recognition software.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yes. Not only is there positional communication between the team but you can ask the ghost questions/taunt it

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah. Can't say exactly how good it is, but I found a ouija board, asked the spirit where it was, and the board spelled out GARAGE, so it's decent enough to recognize some phrases.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The final boss in Forbidden Siren may be the worst thing I've ever seen in a videogame

E: okay I have now finished Forbidden Siren what a bizarre, interesting, awful game I never want to touch again.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 4, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow Siren Blood Curse is not good lol

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It sure isn't. Sadly, Siren 2 is not much better, either.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I enjoyed Siren 2 when I played it but that was... 14 years ago or something. Definitely went in a more hokey direction at the end.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Honestly I think Forbidden Siren 2 is better in some ways because the ideas really needed a second pass, but they also added a bit too much with all the new sight jack mechanics. Also people complain about the guns but honestly I found the Japanese Saw to be far more powerful and horror reducing.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it just lacks the same overall charm as the first game. The enemies are more generically zombie-ish instead of the eerie, human-like and alien nature of the Shibito of Siren 1. The characters also did not really grab me as much. By the end of Siren 1, I think you've well started to care about Tamon, Kyoya and Yoriko. I can barely even recall what the Siren 2 characters were called, although I played through it two or three times as well.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

I think it just lacks the same overall charm as the first game. The enemies are more generically zombie-ish instead of the eerie, human-like and alien nature of the Shibito of Siren 1. The characters also did not really grab me as much. By the end of Siren 1, I think you've well started to care about Tamon, Kyoya and Yoriko. I can barely even recall what the Siren 2 characters were called, although I played through it two or three times as well.

That carries into the plot too, in Siren 1 everything is happening because a bunch of desperate starving villagers ate a dying alien god-thing which is trippy and awesome, whereas Siren 2 is a far more straightforward ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STOP THE GENERIC ANCIENT EVIL FROM REAWAKENING?

Which is a shame, because after chestface I thought things would go in a weirder direction. That said, what happens to that one soldier dude is actually pretty cool.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Big Mad Drongo posted:

That carries into the plot too, in Siren 1 everything is happening because a bunch of desperate starving villagers ate a dying alien god-thing which is trippy and awesome, whereas Siren 2 is a far more straightforward ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STOP THE GENERIC ANCIENT EVIL FROM REAWAKENING?
Absolutely. I loved how they tied the story of the game into the real myth of the Yaobikuni, the Eight-Hundred-Year Nun, as well. Hisako Yao, geddit? That sort of thing was part of a series of nice touches that everything about Siren 2 just lacked for me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm digging phasmophobia with my friends a bunch, although I'm way too much of a coward to play it in VR haha.

Definitely hope the dev doesn't burn himself out because he really does have something special on his hands but the game is still pretty rough around the edges in its current state. I think it could do a bit better explaining a few things as well. Like we did not know that using the ghost's name in our questions was bad and primarily why we barely had any hauntings past the first few events and mostly had nothing going on for extended periods of time since the ghost was constantly being agitated and attempting to enter hunt mode which was interrupting its other actions and was essentially just doing nothing.

Also this COULD be related to the first thing since we haven't gotten a chance to play since knowing this - but the ghost types definitely don't seem to be very different in practice so far. Obviously the evidence differs but I never felt like any of the haunt events made me go "oh poo poo guys, its a Jinn/Demon/whatever"

Edit: oh and a big thing I think should be changed is how the local voice chat works. I don't know poo poo about game dev so I dunno how hard this would be to accomplish but as it stands it goes through walls and stuff too clearly. On one of the two starter house maps my friend in the house could even clearly hear the 3 of us in the truck from one of the front rooms. Might be less of an issue on the larger ones, but the biggest map we have unlocked is the school and I could hear people below or above me there too.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 4, 2020

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Kinda bummed we aren't getting the horror game review per day this october, hope the guy is alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah, there's positional audio for player to play communication (and a radio, that will sometimes glitch out when the ghost is mad, making it so people lose contact with each other) and the ghosts respond to different phrases and their own names. Specifically, using their name is a great way to aggravate the ghost and make them more active, getting more obvious signs of their presence but also making them much more likely to try to kill you.