Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
happy bday madoka

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Holy poo poo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Holy poo poo.
sounds like someone forgot

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Mood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaiP76-Vmzw

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA2Qhx40zJ4

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
be the mountain gorilla.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1312528559005548544?s=19

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda need a reminder here: Who holds the rights to Evangelion these days? I distinctly remember reading something either 1 or 2 years ago that Gainax did some illegal motherfuckery to try and keep the rights to Evangelion away from Anno.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

I wonder how that’s even gonna work with regards to the dub (old/new/both) and subtitle translation. Eva’s definitely the kind of series I’d like on Blu-Ray though at an okayish price.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Eva is owned fully by Anno and Khara nowadays I think. And it's likely going to be the Netflix dub and sub, since those translations were heavily overseen by Khara.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

id rather a home release not subbed by a pedophile racist

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
wait who's the pedophile racist

anyways gunbuster is better

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A longtime Eva translator that Twitter decided to demonize

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

There are no good mecha anime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
wasn't that not true at all or am I thinking of something else, can't say I paid that much attention to Eva drama when it was happening

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Furnaceface posted:

:chloe:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stairmaster posted:

when did the story evolve from the guy paying for strike witches doujins as rock solid proof that he's a pedophile to him also being racist

also that guy has been doing the official eva subs for years. the controversial parts of the netflix subs weren't even purely his choice

Furnaceface posted:

sir this is a wendy's

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 4, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://medium.com/@jefflight_12860/lost-intranslation-why-netflixs-neon-genesis-evangelion-is-so-problematic-fbac79113a8c

quote:

He also literally translated the iconic slogan of the series’ shadowy government organization, “God is in his Heaven, All is Right With the World” as “God is in heaven, all is very good” despite the original wording being in their logo and visualized all over the place

lmao

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Again that sounds like the typical bizarre thing you get from a Japanese company micromanaging English translations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Motto posted:

Again that sounds like the typical bizarre thing you get from a Japanese company micromanaging English translations.

ahn takawmakki

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

yes, the netflix translation was mandated by khara, many lines were awkwardly decided on by japanese suits who do not know how to correctly translate dialog into english, i don't know why we're blaming the guy who was working under corporate mandates here

this same translator, again, has been working on the series for years and their other tls do not have the same problems

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

If you want something to get mad about, last I heard viz still uses Dragon Ball translations by a guy who's in jail right now for CP

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Motto posted:

If you want something to get mad about, last I heard viz still uses Dragon Ball translations by a guy who's in jail right now for CP

Wait, what? That’d suck if true, Dragonball is pretty much one of my favorite official translations (not Z, that poo poo’s pretty fuckin dire) :(

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Maybe things have changed, but last I heard the manga TLs are still the ones gerard jones was involved with (though he wasn't a translator per se, he took the translated text and rewrote it)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Stair the translator for eva netflix is not a pedophile or a racist and 99% of the translations people were mas about were dictated by khara and anno.

For instance people accuse him of downplaying the kaworu/shinji thing out of homophobia but he also translated rebuild 3. Which up played the gayness with. Including in translation.

In short: stfu stair and log off of twitter instead of buying into accusations from the same types who send death threats to people who draw the wrong jojo ships

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

This is an extremely pointless thing to say since 'mecha' isnt actually a genre.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

This is an extremely pointless thing to say since 'mecha' isnt actually a genre.

"Genre" is a fuzzy concept. As per this Innuendo Studios video on Genre and Adventure games. Mecha is often used as if it were describing a genre and as long as it has usefulness in conveying what the speaker means then it has utility to continue to treat it as though it were a genre.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Endorph posted:

It's as much a genre as "isekai" is :colbert:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

teh shonen genre

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

When you think about it, mecha is just a subgenre of romance.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

Ok we clearly need to make our hands do the talking in a different way, homeboy.

Or you can always ask for a recommendation based on what you're specifically looking for in the recommendations thread. Just sayin'.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Ok we clearly need to make our hands do the talking in a different way, homeboy.

Or you can always ask for a recommendation based on what you're specifically looking for in the recommendations thread. Just sayin'.

I am glad you showed up on the field of battle that favours your opponent

One of the first recommendations I asked for in one of those threads was for anime with mecha, so its not like I havnt given various shows or movies a watch. I just havnt found one that I like. Yet. :v:

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Motto posted:

Maybe things have changed, but last I heard the manga TLs are still the ones gerard jones was involved with (though he wasn't a translator per se, he took the translated text and rewrote it)

I can confirm that he is credited in the 3-in-1 versions, at least.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/animesongbot_2/status/1312592896110059521?s=20

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Where are the beeps?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Stairmaster posted:

As others have already said, don't make serious accusations against people based on twitter slander and third hand gossip. All this does is muddle the water and make more peoples lives miserable. Please use die diligence to research these things in the future Stairmaster.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The Fall thread is pretty much done but did anyone stay with Misfit of Demon Academy. I enjoyed it as kind of a low-stakes thing with some ok twists and a decent ending -- definite BL vibes from the Great Hero and Demon Lord.

Was that framerate always so smooth??

Wing is, no joke, a series I would totally buy on blu/digital. I got caught up with high school poo poo and missed a good third of it in the middle and suddenly Zechs is throwing a colony at Earth as the leader of White Fang and poo poo's popping off while everyone gets v2.0 upgrades to their Gundamns.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

The Fall thread is pretty much done but did anyone stay with Misfit of Demon Academy. I enjoyed it as kind of a low-stakes thing with some ok twists and a decent ending -- definite BL vibes from the Great Hero and Demon Lord.

Was that framerate always so smooth??

Wing is, no joke, a series I would totally buy on blu/digital. I got caught up with high school poo poo and missed a good third of it in the middle and suddenly Zechs is throwing a colony at Earth as the leader of White Fang and poo poo's popping off while everyone gets v2.0 upgrades to their Gundamns.

It came out on BR a while back.