Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Unmature posted:

I’m watching the one with the temporal loop where the Enterprise keeps exploding. Does this count as a Crusher episode?

The enterprise is exploded, not crushed :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shinjobi posted:

I am watching another season 7 episode

Data's cat is pregnant. Worf is apparently going completely batshit insane. Is.....is this cat giving birth to psycho emotion aliens or something?

What the hell is happening

Edit: YO WHAT THE gently caress IS THAT VENOM SAC HOLY poo poo

Hahaha yeah, this one really goes places.

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Been watching through TNG S1, once you get past the first 4-6 episodes it hasn't been half bad. It's been a few years and I don't remember everything, always a good way to rewatch. The one with Damon Bok and the Stargazer is the first legit good episode, and there've been a few others, with the rest being usually decent. The cast have got a handle on their characters. It's not a standout show yet, but I think S1 gets a mostly-undeserved bad rap because of those first few episodes.

Totally agreed. It's those first few episodes that really tank it. After that it's actually pretty watchable. It doesn't rise to the level of "Darmok" or anything, but they're really just average TNG episodes where the uniforms are too tight and the music is weirder.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

As dumb as the episode is, I kind of wish "The Paradise Syndrome" had been a two-parter, so we could see what the Hell the crew of the Enterprise was doing for 2 months while the ship was driving backwards to get back to Kirk.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Unmature posted:

Do we know how flammable grapes are. Could be Very

If you bombard them with a microwave beam, the answer is "very."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I've been watching DS9 lately and recently got into early sixth season, and something about a scene on the starbase with Captain Sisko and Admiral Ross just struck me as how drab those First Contact uniforms are and how that tied in with where DS9 and the TNG movies went. Dreary, mostly colorless uniforms for war stories. I'm really glad Lower Decks ditched the gray-black scheme, and also didn't do the lazy all-blue direction.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Those are still my favorite uniforms

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The purple uniforms are a bit dreary but they look really good on the DS9 cast, so I’ll forgive them the monotone

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I like the late-DS9 uniforms because having a uniform made of two pieces makes it actually look like a uniform, and not a gymnastics unitard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

skasion posted:

The purple uniforms are a bit dreary but they look really good on the DS9 cast, so I’ll forgive them the monotone

Yeah, the uniform really fits late-DS9 well both literally and tonally. They just suck rear end on the TNG cast because they’re so boring in comparison to their tv uniforms.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Watching Insurrection. So Generations was all about Data getting the emotions chip, then in First Contact they’re like he can turn it off now whenever I guess, and in this Geordi’s like “uh he left it in his room.”

And I guess every movie after Generations has to be like “oh good, Worf was in the neighborhood.”

So does every Starfleet shuttle have a karaoke machine built in?

Hm at least this one remembers Troi and Riker are characters

Unmature fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 4, 2020

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Unmature posted:

Watching Insurrection. So Generations was all about Data getting the emotions chip, then in First Contact they’re like he can turn it off now whenever I guess, and in this Geordi’s like “uh he left it in his room.”

And I guess every movie after Generations has to be like “oh good, Worf was in the neighborhood.”

So does every Starfleet shuttle have a karaoke machine built in?

Hm at least this one remembers Troi and Riker are characters
To be fair, not being able to turn off or remove the emotion chip without Geordie was kind of a big deal in Generations. I know if I was Geordie and I'd just got back from being tortured aboard a Klingon ship because my android supersoldier best friend was too afraid to help, first thing I'd do is probably recommend we install a relay or a socketed connection or both for his flakey emotion chip he pried out of his emotionally unstable brother.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cat Hatter posted:

To be fair, not being able to turn off or remove the emotion chip without Geordie was kind of a big deal in Generations. I know if I was Geordie and I'd just got back from being tortured aboard a Klingon ship because my android supersoldier best friend was too afraid to help, first thing I'd do is probably recommend we install a relay or a socketed connection or both for his flakey emotion chip he pried out of his emotionally unstable brother.

Yeah it makes sense it’s just funny how the writers will just do whatever they want for convenience after introducing such a huge thing. It should’ve just shorted out or been removed at the end of Generations.

EDIT:
Jesus Christ this movie is boring as poo poo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Unmature posted:

Yeah it makes sense it’s just funny how the writers will just do whatever they want for convenience after introducing such a huge thing. It should’ve just shorted out or been removed at the end of Generations.

EDIT:
Jesus Christ this movie is boring as poo poo

Insurrection is probably the worst one, but it's close

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Insurrection has the best commentary track. Nemesis has no redeeming features.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
III and V are dogshit movies but at least have something going on. I feel like I’m just staring at a wall here.

Data’s being very emotional for someone who left their emotion chip at home. Maybe he put it back in off screen or when they put his memory drives back in.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 4, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's been said many times, but Insurrection was more of a TNG 2-parter than something that deserved a film.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
It would still probably be the worst two parter

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
So I am watching TNG for the first time in years and even as a kid I mostly watched in syndication so the exact order of episodes has always been kind of fuzzy to me. I just the finished the Royal, and it has bit where Data explains the rules of craps and it's written as if Riker doesn't understand the concept of gambling (because lol 20th century humans where primitive) which is weird because the first poker scene was about ten episodes earlier. A lot of ink has been spilt about the tension in TNG's first two season between of the show trying replicate the original series' formula and the more character driven drama that the show becomes and that really summed it up to me.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 4, 2020

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The worst part about Insurrection is how deeply, deeply unlikable the Baku are. And then the last minute twist about the Son'a being their children just makes them seem even more like total smug, selfish assholes.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

side_burned posted:

So I am watching TNG for the first time in years and even as a kid I mostly watched in syndication so the exact order of episodes has always been kind of fuzzy to me. I just the finished the Royal, and it has bit where Data explains the rules of craps and it's written as if Riker doesn't understand the concept of gambling, which is weird because the first poker scene was about ten episodes earlier. A lot of ink has been spilt about the tension in TNG's first two season between of the show trying replicate the original series' formula and the more character driven drama that the show becomes and that really summed it up to me.

TNG had dozens of writers over time, accepted numerous spec scripts, and Gene and his lawyer would in the early days actively gently caress up everything. So at least mild continuity errors are a given.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Enterprise S2:E22 - Congenitor - I don't care for that conclusion. Particularly Archer making a point to say "and a kid that won't be born"

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So all these blue panels when Picard fights F Murray Abraham were supposed to be special effects and they just ran out of budget to fill them in right?

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Insurrection and Nemesis have congealed into one movie that I can’t remember. I’m guessing I shouldn’t bother rewatching them? :haw:

I’m on Season 7 of my DS9 rewatch and I like Ezri a lot more now than I did the first time. But holy poo poo why would you stay on DS9, the whole “avoid reconnecting with people from your previous hosts’ lives” thing seems like really good advice, especially when your joining just happened. I know it was down to terry leaving and other behind the scenes stuff and I’m just yelling into the void but yikes the awkwardness would be unbearable :gonk: like why not just introduce a different character? Idk

Edit: i just saw that someone who posted earlier may be watching ds9 for the first time so spoilered just in case

HOLY FUCK fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Oct 4, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

HOLY gently caress posted:

Insurrection and Nemesis have congealed into one movie that I can’t remember. I’m guessing I shouldn’t bother rewatching them? :haw:

Please do and come back with a report on the experience.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Lol Pulaski literally brings a 40 to a dinner party, that rules.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

quote:

Both Star Trek: Deep Space Nine actors Armin Shimerman and Max Grodénchik's scenes were deleted. Grodénchik's appearance as a Trill can be seen in the deleted scenes on the DVD Special Edition. Armin Shimerman's appearance as Quark can be seen in the photo gallery of the DVD, however the scene itself has never been released. Quark would have been seen vacationing on the Ba'ku planet, having arrived there via the USS Ticonderoga.
How have I never heard about this before

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sir Lemming posted:

He directed the TNG episodes "In Theory", "Hero Worship", "A Fistful of Datas", "Phantasms", & "Preemptive Strike"

2 of those have some pretty nightmarish visuals!

I saw one of his RSC productions in London back in the day and this line also captures it.

I mean it was an...interesting take on Measure for Measure but neon zoot suits never needed to happen

e: welp double checking against my memory and it was actually directed by Nicholas Hytner

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 4, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Grand Fromage posted:

Insurrection has the best commentary track. Nemesis has no redeeming features.

Insurrection is the one where Frakes and Sirtis get drunk and just poo poo all over the movie, right?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Epicurius posted:

Insurrection is the one where Frakes and Sirtis get drunk and just poo poo all over the movie, right?

Gin-zadi

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Epicurius posted:

Yep. It's a pro watch.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

Enterprise S2:E22 - Congenitor - I don't care for that conclusion. Particularly Archer making a point to say "and a kid that won't be born"

I think Archer's speech could have been written better. I would have given him some sort of proto-Prime Directive speech...start by talking about how this is one of the few friendly species they met and then Tripp's actions just maybe ruined that. Then go on to say how, even though Tripp might have meant well, and that, yea, the Congenitors were being mistreated, Earth just didn't have any power to come from outside and try to fix it. All that does is make us hated. Heck, Trip, the Vulcans are our allies and helping Earth at Earth's request, and look how much some people resent them. It's up to them to fix their problems themselves....it's not very satisfying, but it's the only thing that'll stick....unless you want Earth to invade and force them to treat the Congenitors better at gunpoint.

Or something like that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Finally jumping into DS9 to clean Insurrection out of our heads. Man this is a better first episode than TNG

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Unmature posted:

Finally jumping into DS9 to clean Insurrection out of our heads. Man this is a better first episode than TNG

DS9 is pretty okay from jump, it never has the kind of lows that you got in TNG. DS9 season one is still the worst of the show though, as is tradition.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah it's worst episodes would be average episodes on TNG

Unmature
May 9, 2008
That’s good to know because season 5 of TNG has been kind of a slog and watching all the movies during it has not helped. Though we’re about to get to The Inner Light. Just need to make it through a Wesley and a Lwaxana Troi ep first...

How have the Greatest Generation episodes on DS9 been? I’ve been getting into that show a lot lately

Unmature fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 4, 2020

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Unmature posted:

That’s good to know because season 5 of TNG has been kind of a slog and watching all the movies during it has not helped. Though we’re about to get to The Inner Light. Just need to make it through a Wesley and a Lwaxana Troi ep first...

How have the Greatest Generation episodes on DS9 been? I’ve been getting into that show a lot lately

Greatest Gen has become a lot less fun since they basically turned the podcast from their hobby into a job. You can like kind of tell how much they just go through the motions now.

Also they seem to be sucking a lot of the CBS money laundering cock because holy poo poo do they love the hell out of all new Trek. I guess when it becomes your livilyhood you need to make sure to not piss off the wrong people to lose access or something (ie: anyone at CBS)

Case in point they think that stupid loving Tribble short trek abortion was like the best thing to happen to Trek since TNG

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've enjoyed the DS9 run, but it is clearly harder for them to have fun with the show once they get to season 5 and it's just consistently good. There's not much to drive jokes so it turns into a lot of nitpicking. I'm looking forward to the Voyager transition and getting back to turd city.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
red letter media on new star wars once; we can tell any story we want! just re tell old stories

DS9 allows star trek to do star trek things with non star trek characters

Quark, Rom, and Nog are fun to watch thru season 1-5 and their growth

I like most odo stories, he is the fish out of water, the non-human trying to be human becomes more human than a human

this time around I enjoy Kira more and all the Kai Winn stuff. Pretty funny how much Jake hates Kai Winn too

obviously Garak is always good and I always enjoy the face-turn Dukat does and then heel-turn to join the Dominion

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Epicurius posted:

I think Archer ... could have been written better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Unmature posted:

Goddammit, The Inner Light is further away than I thought. Though I will say for a Wesley ep, The First Duty AKA Who Ordered The Code Redshirt was pretty good! I always love a courtroom episode. Measure of a Man and The Drumhead are two of my faves. And I love seeing the inside of Starfleet even if it always looks like a rehab center.