Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
was not aware Lost had a cultural monopoly on the concept of a mystery and forces some kind of ptsd response from people the second any other show dares to have any sort of ambiguity about what exactly is going on

If a show isnt a perfectly simple and logical set of questions and answers it has failed as art, clearly.

ANSWERS drat YOU
ANSWERS IS ALL I CRAAAAAAVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Why does the head crushing helmet allow the rapist to see? Like why not just leave them blind?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LibCrusher posted:

Why does the head crushing helmet allow the rapist to see? Like why not just leave them blind?

Please tell me this isn't an unsolved mystery.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

LibCrusher posted:

I guess somebody is going to have to stick around to season 2 to find out.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lol they almost had me but nope this show was straight trash

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
This show straight up owns.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I thought it was good. Could have been better, but whatever it’s a TV show

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
You know what other streaming sci fi series that just ended with giant synthetic AI space sneks....

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

Shaocaholica posted:

You know what other streaming sci fi series that just ended with giant synthetic AI space sneks....

No I do not

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 4, 2020

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

LibCrusher posted:

No I do not

The TV adaptation of Mass Effect Star Trek: Picard

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

AccountSupervisor posted:

was not aware Lost had a cultural monopoly on the concept of a mystery and forces some kind of ptsd response from people the second any other show dares to have any sort of ambiguity about what exactly is going on

If a show isnt a perfectly simple and logical set of questions and answers it has failed as art, clearly.

ANSWERS drat YOU
ANSWERS IS ALL I CRAAAAAAVE

one thing i did appreciate about this show is that it did a good job of portraying just how much of human activity is fumbling around in darkness. no one knows much of anything about the planet Kepler and all the discoveries on the show are made by accident, inference, or straight-up guesses

though i wish the snake revelation had been set up better, the sheer unexplained weirdness of the world was both appropriate and effective

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its not about having answers to questions or whatever. its about having a satisfying and compelling narrative, and this show just failed utterly at that, and on purpose

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Shoulda been an extended music video with father's jokes being the only audible dialog

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
this show is space stupid

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

scary ghost dog posted:

its not about having answers to questions or whatever. its about having a satisfying and compelling narrative, and this show just failed utterly at that, and on purpose

we’re not in disagreement

Rinkles posted:

Shoulda been an extended music video with father's jokes being the only audible dialog

my ideal version of the show would have been 10 hours of mother getting increasingly frustrated by father’s jokes

then, in episode 5, Carl shows up

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
This show is not good, but it is great.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's good that it exists

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
the score is great!

OH WORD SON
Apr 21, 2006
Show owns sorry some of your opinions suck

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Show doesn’t gotta be smart to be entertaining.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

General Battuta posted:

emptyquote

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Welp let’s lock this up for the next 2? 3? Years before season 2. Those kids are gonna look way different by then.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Shaocaholica posted:

ded posted:

this show is space stupid

General Battuta posted:

Before our Lord and Master Spess Snek showed up I was slightly annoyed. Mother and Father were amazing but the show made little sense. It was beautiful but felt lazy... then the Mother gave birth to milky snek. Father came and saw the baby snek drinking robo milk and they declared they had to sacrifice themselves by going to the core. If it had been ended there I would have said wtf and kept my opinion; instead they flew through the core to the other side of the plant, unharmed. Then the parents jumped out the back of the module Point Break style and we saw the tiny milky snek had become huge. The ship went kaboom and our serpentine Lord flew to the heavens majestically. That was when I realised I had not watched prestige serious sci-fi but something grander. The show is like Lexx or Cleopatra 2525: it’s silly and weird and full of milky fun but with Flying Spess Snek who is a devil or god and probably wishes somebody had named him Chauncey.

I am left with a few questions: what does his voice sound like? Is it deep or maybe sound like somebody uncle Maurie who retired and moved to South Beach? Does someone have a gif or shot of our new Lord? Does our new Lord like boops?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

Before our Lord and Master Spess Snek showed up I was slightly annoyed. Mother and Father were amazing but the show made little sense. It was beautiful but felt lazy... then the Mother gave birth to milky snek. Father came and saw the baby snek drinking robo milk and they declared they had to sacrifice themselves by going to the core. If it had been ended there I would have said wtf and kept my opinion; instead they flew through the core to the other side of the plant, unharmed. Then the parents jumped out the back of the module Point Break style and we saw the tiny milky snek had become huge. The ship went kaboom and our serpentine Lord flew to the heavens majestically. That was when I realised I had not watched prestige serious sci-fi but something grander. The show is like Lexx or Cleopatra 2525: it’s silly and weird and full of milky fun but with Flying Spess Snek who is a devil or god and probably wishes somebody had named him Chauncey.

I am left with a few questions: what does his voice sound like? Is it deep or maybe sound like somebody uncle Maurie who retired and loved to South Beach? Does someone have a gif or shot of our new Lord? Does our new Lord like boops?

disturbingly bad post

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Season 2 follows space lamprey on its journey to find love, where it discovers that loving oneself is the greatest love of all

Edit: wait, I just realized the lyrics of the song kinda fit the show, replaced video with actual song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYzlVDlE72w

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 4, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Season 2 follows space lamprey on its journey to find love, where it discovers that loving oneself is the greatest love of all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVlw58BrU6k

So an ouroboros?

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

scary ghost dog posted:

disturbingly bad post

C’mon... release all worry and learn to love the snek. You can name him Doctor Strangeboop.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If the higher ups at HBO do their job and listen to the advice from my letters, there's going to be a spin off show of androids just sucking on each others' milk.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

steinrokkan posted:

If the higher ups at HBO do their job and listen to the advice from my letters, there's going to be a spin off show of androids just sucking on each others' milk.

New cast members:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Loved this show till the last half of the last episode, so it's still the best Ridley Scott thing in my lifetime* and infinitely better than Prometheus and Covenant

*Guzikowski told Collider they have four or five more seasons planned, so I in no way expect that to continue, but hey, I'm more likely to watch season 2 than to re-watch Prometheus or Covenant, so still the best Ridley thing in a decade imo!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gonz posted:

New cast members:

Gibbs Haynes cameo: There’s a hand underneath that sock!

Looks nice but where are the reptilian overlords?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

Anonymous Zebra posted:

The finished product of Babylon 5 is certainly an impressive piece of continuous storytelling, but the story viewers saw was NOT the one planned out ahead of time. JMS definitely did have a story that he wrote the barebones of ahead of the show, but the final product did not resemble huge parts of that original plan. Part of this was because actors and actresses left the show for many different reasons, while other parts of his original show was untenable for cable television. Most of the first season (which was easily the worst one of the original four) sticks to his original plan, but after that things went off the rails and the writers had to scramble to make it all work. JMS is an excellent salesman, and he had to convince people that main characters (including the goddamn lead actor) leaving the show was all part of some big plan and was not a sign of a troubled production, so that's what he did.

Just to give you a preview of the original plot and how it diverged, let's talk about Babylon 4. Remember the two episodes seasons apart that feature Babylon 4? The ones that everyone points to as a sign of how cohesive the plot was? In the show Babylon 4 is travelling through time, appears briefly in season 1 where weird stuff is hinted at, and then reappears in season 3 where that weird stuff is explained and then the whole station travels backwards through time to the distant past to serve as a base to fight the Shadows. In the original plan for the show, Babylon 4 was traveling forwards through time (hence it disappearing and then reappearing in season 1), and was meant to serve as a base for humanity in the future in the war against the Minbari Warrior Caste. Wait, why is humanity fighting the Minbari? Because they are upset that Delenn and Sinclair's child is some kind of cross-species chosen one that will merge the two civilizations and have already blown up Babylon 5 at that point. This is why Sinclair appears a grey haired man in the season 1 episode and why Delenn (off screen due to her transformation) is acting like his lover.

There's a bunch of other stuff that's different:
-Sinclair is not Valen, just a dude destined to gently caress a Minbari,
-the Vorlons are a manipulative elder-race in the middle of a great decline who beat the Shadows 1,000 years ago, but whose decline allows the remaining Shadows to reappear
-there is no Order/Chaos fight, the Shadows and Vorlons are just two elder races that want to rule the galaxy and the Shadows kill all the Vorlons in one of the later portions of the original plot.
-Kosh copies Talia's memories so he can bring her back after her personality is erased by the Psi Corp programming
-Talia's entire psychic godhead plot line that got left on the cutting room floor when the actress got sexually harassed off the show.

And so on.

Yeah I tried to get through B5 and utterly failed. Whatever overall plan it had obviously went out the window by S2, and after that everything felt very rushed and unfocused. They kept wrapping up huge metaplot structures really cheap and quick, without having anything compelling to replace it with. The setting and cast weren't realized enough to really do decent stand-alone episodes ala star trek, so then they'd tack on some other silly galaxy threatening crisis - I gave up even half-watching it in S4.

I have also failed to get through Raised by Wolves - just a complete goddamn derivative mess on all fronts. I liked Mother's character a lot, but that's about it. Read the spoilers and not coming back.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
What does ‘derivative’ mean though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Like this show is a huge mess, but I can’t say it’s derivative of very much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

scary ghost dog posted:

disturbingly bad post

There’s one thing we can agree on.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The ~companion podcast~ to this show is quite good.

The show runner seems very aware of how callous the mithraics appear. His take is that if you put the batshit insane leadership of the people who destroyed their entire planet and doomed their species on a new virgin world, they are just gonna repeat the same mistakes and be in the same situation by lunch again. Basically, mithraic society is inherently self-destructive and incapable of survival and the show tries to portrait that.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i feel like that's a little undercut by paul being one of the better survivalists of the group

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ex post facho posted:

i feel like that's a little undercut by paul being one of the better survivalists of the group
Yes, we all know that shooting the only doctor, who is also the only adult, is one of the expert survivalist moves and that societies which take care to kill off all adults and all doctors are the ones that thrive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Paul just loves killing, remember how stoked he was about the murder trap he made