Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You can make more rice because rice freezes beautifully

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Are you single? If so, is there a chance you will ever have a romantic partner with whom to share your life? Because any time you are cooking for more than 9ne you will want to make more rice. Honestly I have a 5 cup Zojirushi and 4 people in my family and wish I'd bought at least a 10 cup model.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
You can make confit in a rice cooker.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Stringent posted:

You can make confit in a rice cooker.

You can make congee in a rice cooker too.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Anyone have a recommendation for a dehydrator?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I live alone and my rice cooker is small, but it's not 3 cups small. Like, makes 3 cups of raw rice, or holds 3 cups period? The former is probably fine, the latter is too small if you want leftovers for the week (I did it for work lunches a ton).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My 3 cup zone is perfect for two people

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a dehydrator?

The Excalibur and their rebranded ones are great, I had the "Omega" branded one for a few years. They show up on Woot for sale pretty often, they've got the 9 tray with no timer for 170 right now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What’s the rebranded one called

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anne Whateley posted:

I live alone and my rice cooker is small, but it's not 3 cups small. Like, makes 3 cups of raw rice, or holds 3 cups period? The former is probably fine, the latter is too small if you want leftovers for the week (I did it for work lunches a ton).

I have a 3 cup zojirushi, you can make up to 3 cups of raw rice at a time with it. It's great and that's a lot of rice for 2-3 people.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

A quarter of a cup (uncooked) is one serving so three cups is a lot of rice.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

A quarter of a cup (uncooked) is one serving so three cups is a lot of rice.

This is America we don't eat 1/4 cup of anything

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think we're all saying the same thing. If it makes 3 cups of raw rice (total capacity 5-9 cups), that's plenty. If it has a total capacity of 3 cups (makes ~1-1.5 cups of raw rice), that will be too small if you want leftovers for the week, or making it to bring to a party, or if you want space to steam something else over the rice, etc.

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

What’s the rebranded one called

Mine was an Omega, exactly the same as the Excalibur as far as I could tell but white instead of black. It doesn't look like its available anymore, I bought mine back around 2013. I think I've seen another brand in the past as well but don't recall what it was.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

You can always get a 5 cup rice cooker and make just 1 cup. If you have someone over or couple up at some point you can't make 5 cups in a 3 cup pot. Plus you can use the rice cooker for steaming vegetables and stuff. I basically never cook for just one meal though so if you want to cook new rice for every meal I guess 3 cups is enough.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
All of you eat a lot of rice

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

xtal posted:

I'm fat and we lived in Japan for 2 years and have kids so yeah a lot of rice consumption in this house.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

xtal posted:

That was what I was thinking to be honest. A cup of rice is a lot of rice.

Also cups are dumb.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

1 rice cup is 2 adult servings and you'll never convince me otherwise. Unless I'm hungry then I will require my own measuring cup of rice.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

xtal posted:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

You guys are crazy. I'll cook a cup of rice and then spread it out over four meals.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
A "rice cup" is 3/4 of a standard American cup. So you eat 1/4 cup of dry rice and he eats 3/8 cup of dry rice. That monster gorging himself on two tablespoons.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

You guys are crazy. I'll cook a cup of rice and then spread it out over four meals.

Your daily calorie intake is 150 calories? Seems unlikely.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Rice is a component in a meal, not a meal in and of itself. A lunch or dinner for me is generally around 400-500 calories and the rice makes up about 1/3 of it if it's part of it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It was probably a joke.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
I could crush two cups of rice in one sitting easy

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Is this a good place to ask about espresso machines? I don’t think they do rice.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

pseudanonymous posted:

Is this a good place to ask about espresso machines? I don’t think they do rice.

There’s also the coffee thread, depending on how much of a coffee person you are

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nitrousoxide posted:

Rice is a component in a meal, not a meal in and of itself. A lunch or dinner for me is generally around 400-500 calories and the rice makes up about 1/3 of it if it's part of it.

Right, so your statement that people are crazy for eating more than 1/4 cup of rice at a time was made without having a clue on if the rice in their meal is 25%, 50% or 75% of their meal?

Just making sure you are aware of how judgmental, myopic and biased your attempt to make yourself smug and superior actually was.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Nobody is mentioning if it's a cup of raw or cooked rice, or whether it's a 250 ml cup or a "rice cup" whatever that is. 1/4 cup (63ml) of uncooked rice is reasonable, 1/4 of cooked rice is paltry. The measurements for a 5 cup rice cooker are based on cooked rice.

mystes
May 31, 2006

xtal posted:

Nobody is mentioning if it's a cup of raw or cooked rice, or whether it's a 250 ml cup or a "rice cup" whatever that is. 1/4 cup (63ml) of uncooked rice is reasonable, 1/4 of cooked rice is paltry. The measurements for a 5 cup rice cooker are based on cooked rice.
A "rice cup" is 180ml (one gō if you really want to know which you don't).

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

therobit posted:

Are you single? If so, is there a chance you will ever have a romantic partner with whom to share your life? Because any time you are cooking for more than 9ne you will want to make more rice. Honestly I have a 5 cup Zojirushi and 4 people in my family and wish I'd bought at least a 10 cup model.

I've got a girlfriend and a roommate that occasionally eats with us. I usually make like 2 cups of (raw) rice and that's enough for all three of us plus some leftover.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
My toaster is giving up the ghost and I think I'd like to replace it with a toaster oven. Does anyone have recommendations? I'd like to be able to fit a standard size frozen pizza in it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

FordCQC posted:

My toaster is giving up the ghost and I think I'd like to replace it with a toaster oven. Does anyone have recommendations? I'd like to be able to fit a standard size frozen pizza in it.

Breville Smart Ovens are pricey but really good at what they do, and can largely replace your full-size oven.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Breville Smart Ovens are pricey but really good at what they do, and can largely replace your full-size oven.

I definitely don't need to replace my oven, but sometimes the kids want pizza now and toaster ovens are way faster. Is there something more mid-price that's worth it?

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
get a black and decker for $30

unless you used yr toaster to toast bread/bread-adjacents regularly, in which case get another toaster bc unless a “standard size frozen pizza” is totinos even a $300 breville is gna disappoint you

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I have this one and can confirm that it fits a standard grocery store bought frozen pizza. If you get one that has the same internal dimensions you'll be fine.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5UPTZS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_Ac2FFbC114A10

By no means do you have to spend $300 on a toaster oven. Just get one that fits what you want to cook.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003
Anyone thinking about grabbing the Anova Precision Oven: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/?

What are everyone's thoughts on a standard oven + toaster oven vs a double oven? Does anyone not have a microwave and ever miss it?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I have never used a steam oven. I am trying to get a combination convection-microwave speed oven which does convection baking, convection roasting, microwave, or microwave and either convection roast or convection bake at the same time. I'm excited about getting my microwave into a cabinet and off of the counter top.

I guess the question you should be asking yourself is how much you use your microwave and how much you see yourself using a steam oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ethereal posted:

Anyone thinking about grabbing the Anova Precision Oven: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-oven/?

Mine arrived today. It has heated up Thanksgiving leftovers, and tomorrow it will make bread I think.