Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sky Shadowing posted:

and while it's in there it tries to steal your poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPal4_l9WzU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

Cat Mattress posted:

Khajiit Gonna Steal Your poo poo

:dance:

I really wanna get wise to all the Morrowind memes and lore. I've started about 4 playthroughs but I never really got out of Balmora on any of them. Are there any mods (or walkthroughs) that give the game more direction so I can power through it without getting lost in the weeds?

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Getting lost in the weeds is half the fun though, but if you want more direction join up with a guild, they'll make you go all over the place as part of their quests.

If you're afraid of getting lost there's a google-maps style map available for the game, I would've linked it but I'm on the phone at the moment.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...

Sky Shadowing posted:

In ESO there are two cases I can think of of Elsweyr raised khajiits keeping housecats as pets.

There's also a quest where an Alfiq (one of the housecat like khajiit) disguises itself as a lost housecat so you put it into your bag to return it, and while it's in there it tries to steal your poo poo.

Oh yeah, I remember that one. I just did one where an alfiq is hung over because she got drunk and someone took her home thinking she was a stray and I had to take her home.

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 4, 2020

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ott_ posted:

I really wanna get wise to all the Morrowind memes and lore. I've started about 4 playthroughs but I never really got out of Balmora on any of them. Are there any mods (or walkthroughs) that give the game more direction so I can power through it without getting lost in the weeds?

Do every guild, look on the uesp if you want to know where they start or where to find additional guildhalls, join house telvanni and always play a mage.

That is my sage wisdom for always having a good time in morrowind

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

always play mage in every tes game

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

hawowanlawow posted:

always play mage in every tes game

Yeah, I can't disagree with this. And now that Daggerfall has more or less been updated to HD, even THAT game makes excellent use of mages.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
The first (I think only) skyrim character I ever finished the main quest with was an Argonian barbarian in hide armor with a 2h sword.

But I also usually always just play mages.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Mages in Skyrim kind of suck tbh. It really leaned into the stealth archer thing Oblivion started, but at least Oblivion's magic was customisable.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ott_ posted:

If you wanna get hip to the lore join the Tribunal Temple and read every book you can find.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I recall it was mainly Destruction magic people didn't like in Skyrim. I used Conjuration a lot and it owned, had my Atronachs wreck everybody.

GorfZaplen posted:

If you wanna get hip to the lore join the Tribunal Temple and read every book you can find.

Seriously, do this. My opinion of Morrowind is that it's the best video game I ever read. Nothing else about it was very good except the awesome main theme but I ha a ton of fun reading the lore

You're gonna learn about these Daedra that everybody online says ae some shady characters but the Dunmer love them, at least three of them, and two of the ones they love are regarded as two of the most evil Daedric Lords.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Skyrim magic is p good, if you use the Apocalypse mod (and SPERG to boost damage output/duration of your basic spells). The novice channeling spell stays fairly useful at higher levels, and you get access to a lot more interesting spells than in vanilla.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

NikkolasKing posted:

As I recall it was mainly Destruction magic people didn't like in Skyrim. I used Conjuration a lot and it owned, had my Atronachs wreck everybody.

Yeah my first Skyrim guy was a mage and I really disliked how he never did as much damage as he should, especially as I got more levels. Later on I had a p satisfying destruction mage guy, but I had to mainline Destruction at the cost of basically everything else. I put almost every level up into Magicka, and I had to take every Destruction perk as soon as it was available (I think I still wound up with some in Restoration and some in Speech though) and I was pretty effective in combat up to like level 30.

Also had a couple other mages that went full Illusion, and they were fun at first, but they get pretty samey once you get the higher level spells and don't have to fight anything anymore ever. Maybe a random death here and there from a ninja sabercat that sneaks up behind you and one-shots you.

I forget who posted it, it was in the other Skyrim thread I believe, somebody had a screenshot of them about to jump into the portal to Sovngard and they had their combat stats up and they had 0 kills. I always thought that was rad as hell.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

If I wanted to get all the achievements in Skyrim SE, would I be able to do that on a single character? Specifically, I'm wondering how I would go about skill building/perk allotment to do all of the guild quests without them being real struggles.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ofecks posted:

If I wanted to get all the achievements in Skyrim SE, would I be able to do that on a single character? Specifically, I'm wondering how I would go about skill building/perk allotment to do all of the guild quests without them being real struggles.

Skills don't actually matter to guild advancement. The game will be easy no matter what you do basically.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ofecks posted:

You can get all the achievements on one character in skyrim, all it takes is patience.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Space out the Companions and Dawnguard(and go Volkihar) so you can do the "max werewolf/vampire" tree cheevos I guess?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm making my mage playthrough fun by playing as Egonus Spenglarn. He hunts daedra/vampires, reads ALL of his books, loves sweetrolls, and when he gets enough of this skill perks, he'll have a trusty staff that shoots sparks or lightning bolts (haven't decided yet) and also casts soul trap when used.

He is prepared for bustin' to make him feel good.

Edit: I was trying to find an old post of mine ITT and while I completely forgot why I was looking for it, I happened across a wonderful exchange which starts here that I don't remember at all, despite participating in it. Honestly lol'd. Excellent work, all.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 4, 2020

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Say I lost my mind and decided I wanted to play Skyrim again, what would the recommended perk overhaul mod be these days? Ordinator?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Smol posted:

Say I lost my mind and decided I wanted to play Skyrim again, what would the recommended perk overhaul mod be these days? Ordinator?

yeah

basically all of enaisiaions mods

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Smol posted:

Ordinator is my favorite as well. It makes every perk tree useful and worth focusing on, improves basically every play style in vanilla Skyrim while opening up a few extra ones and adds a lot of mechanics and gimmicks that are honestly fun to use and combine. It also should get some kind of award for making Pickpocketing, Lockpicking and Speechcraft trees look actually cool and enticing. Also its super script-light, so you can run resource intensive mods like Legacy of Dragonborn alongside it without any issues.

To be fair, they are some complaints about it, which mostly are:
1) Its not faithful to vanilla perk tree (true, but vanilla perk trees suck, so whatever)
2) A lot of its perk combinations break the game (true, but same goes for vanilla Skyrim and pretty much any other perk overhaul as well. IMHO Skyrim is a game that is fundamentally impossible to balance and the best you can do it is make sure its broken in a way you personally enjoy, and Ordinator is pretty good for that)
3) It adds a lot of extra mechanics and abilities to use, which makes it a bit finicky and over-complicated (I didn't find it that bad, but its entirely fair complaint)

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

No need to sell Ordinator for me, I've used it before. I was just wondering if something better had been released during the past few years.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Ah right. Some more minimalistic and vanilla-faithful perk overhauls were released in meantime, but if you liked the general design philosophy behind Ordinator, there is still nothing else that comes even close.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

TresTristesTigres posted:

Yeah my first Skyrim guy was a mage and I really disliked how he never did as much damage as he should, especially as I got more levels. Later on I had a p satisfying destruction mage guy, but I had to mainline Destruction at the cost of basically everything else. I put almost every level up into Magicka, and I had to take every Destruction perk as soon as it was available (I think I still wound up with some in Restoration and some in Speech though) and I was pretty effective in combat up to like level 30.

Also had a couple other mages that went full Illusion, and they were fun at first, but they get pretty samey once you get the higher level spells and don't have to fight anything anymore ever. Maybe a random death here and there from a ninja sabercat that sneaks up behind you and one-shots you.

I forget who posted it, it was in the other Skyrim thread I believe, somebody had a screenshot of them about to jump into the portal to Sovngard and they had their combat stats up and they had 0 kills. I always thought that was rad as hell.

lol my old roommate did that in Oblivion, he had one assault from punching a bandit but managed to do every quest line but fighters and assassin. We got stuck at the gatekeeper in shivering isles, reverse pickpocketing the high powered arrows into the npc totally failed to work.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

yeah

basically all of enaisiaions mods

I’m at the point where I consider Enaisions poo poo as official DLC and install all of it, except for any combat overhauls.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I still really like SPERG better than Ordinator. Never really liked most of the Ordinator perks.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Ordinator perks seemed to be quite hit or miss. There were some really cool ones, but others were just baffling.

Anyhow, I was thinking the same thing last night. I think I liked SPERG more, but the last time I played, it hadn't been ported to SE.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sperg is good if you're the kind of person who wants to get everything, ordinator has so many perks that it forces you to specialize in *something*. It also invents new mechanics entirely which are pretty rad, read through some of the perks theres some interesting stuff

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Smol posted:

Ordinator perks seemed to be quite hit or miss. There were some really cool ones, but others were just baffling.

Anyhow, I was thinking the same thing last night. I think I liked SPERG more, but the last time I played, it hadn't been ported to SE.

It's been ported to SE now.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Sperg is good if you're the kind of person who wants to get everything, ordinator has so many perks that it forces you to specialize in *something*. It also invents new mechanics entirely which are pretty rad, read through some of the perks theres some interesting stuff

I think my problem was I didn't like any of it's new mechanics.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

SPERG had some cool stuff in it (punchcat spec!), but I hated only getting a point every other level.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

You know you can change that by editing a text file? I usually did.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I never got the skill uncapper to work so I got a SPERG point every level anyways.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I just discovered Young Scrolls and I’m hooked. Also, are there any super must have mods for Oblivion at this time? I’m using:

OCO 2
Maskars
UI
Advanced Window Lighting
Unique Landscapes

It’s pretty basic because I like “closer to vanilla” these days and also easier to tweak.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Galerion Natural Leveling. Makes it so you don't have to minmax leveling.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Agents are GO! posted:

Galerion Natural Leveling. Makes it so you don't have to minmax leveling.

That’s what I’m using Maskars for, to sort of flatten the leveling curve. Will these work together?

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

So I just discovered Young Scrolls and I’m hooked. Also, are there any super must have mods for Oblivion at this time? I’m using:

OCO 2
Maskars
UI
Advanced Window Lighting
Unique Landscapes

It’s pretty basic because I like “closer to vanilla” these days and also easier to tweak.

Loot Menu saves tons of time. If I list any more, it'll be like 20+ so I'll leave that as my sole recommendation.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

FutonForensic posted:

Loot Menu saves tons of time. If I list any more, it'll be like 20+ so I'll leave that as my sole recommendation.

drat, no idea that existed! Thank you!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

That’s what I’m using Maskars for, to sort of flatten the leveling curve. Will these work together?

MOO doesn't touch the player levelling mechanics themselves, just how your current level affects the world around you in regards to spawns and such.

Maskar has also made Ultimate Leveling:

Maskar posted:

This mod changes how the player character levels, removing the need for efficient leveling and making character development more diverse. Either pick an experience based leveling system (like Oblivion XP), or a skill usage leveling system (like Realistic Leveling). The experience based leveling system allows the player character to level by gaining experience, which is done by performing actions like killing enemies, completing quests and discovering new locations. The skill usage leveling system allows the player character to level by using skills, much like vanilla, but includes an optional skill cap to encourage character diversity.

Being made by the same guy, it's completely compatible with MMO, as well as having inbuilt support for the major UI overhauls.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 6, 2020

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

OCO 2
Maskars
UI
Advanced Window Lighting
Unique Landscapes

Better Dungeons is one i consider close to essential. it's like a unique landscapes for caves and other lovely forgettable zones which makes them distinct from each other. there are a few geometry/spawn changes but otherwise it's mostly aesthetic; still, running into an ice cave near bruma and a jungle cave near leyawiin feels way better than going into the same cave over and over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Another alternative was released a few months ago, Ascension - Immersive Vanilla Overhaul, created by the guy behind the Fallout New Vegas mod "JSawyer Ultimate Edition" (not Josh Sawyer themselves) as well as about fifty or so nifty little mods for FNV and Oblivion combined.

PushTheWinButton posted:

This one has been a long time coming.

It may not appear so at first glance, but this is the culmination of about four years of work (on, but mostly off). This mod has been overhauled, renamed, and remade several times throughout these years, as I sought to create a definitive vanilla-inspired balance overhaul. Many mods have been released during this time span which do similar things, but I found none of them really gave me what I was looking for. I want the game to still look and feel like the Oblivion I know and love—the Oblivion I first played over ten yours ago with a sense of wonder. I don't want fancy new items or heavily scripted features which change how the game fundamentally plays. I want something I can build onto with other mods if I want to, or can just use on its own perfectly fine.

Ascension aims to create the definitive, well-crafted, immersive vanilla Oblivion experience. Loot has been thoroughly overhauled so that rare equipment is actually rare, dungeons feel rewarding, enemies and loot no longer stop spawning at higher levels, underused gameplay aspects are made more worthwhile, and difficulty has been subtly increased overall. The sense of progression you receive from levelling up and journeying through Cyrodiil should feel much greater now (Shivering Isles is also fully supported). Heavy inspiration was taken from Morrowind‘s game balance, but every change was made to conform to the following three criteria:

* Is it necessary?
* Does it fit with the vanilla look, feel, and game systems?
* And, most importantly, is it fun to play?

It's incompatible with Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul, but is also supposedly closer to vanilla, so it could be worth checking out.