Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I'm really hoping that The Green Knight gets a release sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Harnser and puddock I can believe. Hedge betty isn't that weird as a bird name, bandy I guess is about the right sound and size for an animal word. Jumping jacob is daft but is the right kind of daft, so guess they're all plausible.

Which itself is an indictment of the english language I guess.
The pre-drainage Fens sounds like an utterly bizarre place. Like "it's all flooded and there's a year round malaria epidemic, so the largest industries are opium growing to relieve the symptoms and making strange devices to hunt ducks, most people travel in flat bottomed punts or walking on stilts, there's a Christian cathedral on an island but many of the locals are pagans, they have rich local legends about a pig" sounds more like what some explorer would make up about some mysterious waypoint in Africa or the Orient rather than Norfolk and Lincolnshire, so it's no surprise that it formed a natural boundary for dialect terms.

I guess that's why the actual make-poo poo-up explorers had to go with "they have no heads and eyes on their chests and eat people and there's dragons."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gort posted:

Wait, you liked Hobbit 2?

Yes :v:

I haven't seen the third one but I did like the second one. And the first one. I get why people don't like them and I think they skirt the line in a lot of places but I did quite like the big stupid overdone action sequences. And the full, like, half hour of everyone running away from the collapsing CGI sets and CGI dragon was ridiculous to the point it wrapped right around to being funny again.

It feels almost like the movie is a thing that exists and then andrei tarkovsky came along and decided to just film it way too loving long so that your brain goes crack ping and starts reacting to the incredibly long shots of the same thing, except instead of being slow, intimate shots it's like, endless screaming and explosions and mugging at the camera, but somehow that all mushes together into one continuous visual homogenate that you just stare at until your brain makes you feel something because it doesn't know what else to do.

I grant you I might have had a different experience of the film than most :v:

Guavanaut posted:

The pre-drainage Fens sounds like an utterly bizarre place. Like "it's all flooded and there's a year round malaria epidemic, so the largest industries are opium growing to relieve the symptoms and making strange devices to hunt ducks, most people travel in flat bottomed punts or walking on stilts, there's a Christian cathedral on an island but many of the locals are pagans, they have rich local legends about a pig" sounds more like what some explorer would make up about some mysterious waypoint in Africa or the Orient rather than Norfolk and Lincolnshire, so it's no surprise that it formed a natural boundary for dialect terms.

I guess that's why the actual make-poo poo-up explorers had to go with "they have no heads and eyes on their chests and eat people and there's dragons."

One thing I really enjoyed about the His Dark Materials trilogy is the alt-history you can piece together from passing references. Things like science being called "experimental theology" and the "photon mill" being a miraculous curio that shows the power of the god, rather than being a crookes radiometer (also mirroring the initial lack of understanding on how the crookes radiometer worked) and stuff like how Scoresby comes from Texas which is apparently an independent country which split from New Spain. There's mention of Skraelings visiting the colleges (suggesting that the Americas might have been known to europeans from the early Danish trips there rather than columbus) and the fens are apparently never drained, and are home to a big traveller community living on narrowboats. Took me a while to figure out where the gently caress they were supposedly hiding out in the UK that had hundreds of miles of trackless marsh with minimal central government authority, but as I got older a lot more of the history made sense. A good series IMO if you like semi-obscure history and want to have fun getting the references.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 4, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've been reading about PCB superfund (i.e. toxic hazard) sites in the US, and LMBO US regulations:

Wikipedia posted:

Japan
In 1972 the Japanese government banned the production, use, and import of PCBs.

United Kingdom
In 1981, the UK banned closed uses of PCBs in new equipment, and nearly all UK PCB synthesis ceased; closed uses in existing equipment containing in excess of 5 litres of PCBs were not stopped until December 2000.

United States
In 1976, concern over the toxicity and persistence (chemical stability) of PCBs in the environment led the United States Congress to ban their domestic production, effective January 1, 1978, pursuant to the Toxic Substances Control Act. To implement the law, EPA banned new manufacturing of PCBs, but issued regulations that allowed for their continued use in electrical equipment for economic reasons. EPA began issuing regulations for PCB usage and disposal in 1979. The agency has issued guidance publications for safe removal and disposal of PCBs from existing equipment.

EPA defined the "maximum contaminant level goal" for public water systems as zero, but because of the limitations of water treatment technologies, a level of 0.5 parts per billion is the actual regulated level (maximum contaminant level).

Feeling great about the upcoming trade deal (if it's coming at all, anyway, what with the Ireland issue).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 4, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Printed... circuit boards?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If you lie down on your back and put your laptop on your chest then you can get an imax experience at home on a 15" screen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't seen the third one but I did like the second one. And the first one. I get why people don't like them and I think they skirt the line in a lot of places but I did quite like the big stupid overdone action sequences. And the full, like, half hour of everyone running away from the collapsing CGI sets and CGI dragon was ridiculous to the point it wrapped right around to being funny again.

It feels almost like the movie is a thing that exists and then andrei tarkovsky came along and decided to just film it way too loving long so that your brain goes crack ping and starts reacting to the incredibly long shots of the same thing, except instead of being slow, intimate shots it's like, endless screaming and explosions and mugging at the camera, but somehow that all mushes together into one continuous visual homogenate that you just stare at until your brain makes you feel something because it doesn't know what else to do.

I did enjoy the first two the first time I saw them. They have the ingredients of a really good adaptation, and if they'd chopped out 50% of the runtime and put them together they'd probably have worked quite well. The visuals are pretty bad though, especially compared to the LOTR trilogy which still looks fantastic despite its age. At no point do you believe that the characters are actually on a mountainside or in a mine.

The third one is the absolute pits though. There's nothing redeeming about it at all.

e: And as always I have to recommend Lindsay Ellis' fantastic trilogy of Hobbit video essays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Jose posted:

the person in the original tweet is LGBT-Labour Co-Chair

https://twitter.com/RosieDuffield1/status/1312689188618342400?s=20

transphobia is the "new" fashionable allowed open form of bigotry

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stev posted:

I did enjoy the first two the first time I saw them. They have the ingredients of a really good adaptation, and if they'd chopped out 50% of the runtime and put them together they'd probably have worked quite well. The visuals are pretty bad though, especially compared to the LOTR trilogy which still looks fantastic despite its age. At no point do you believe that the characters are actually on a mountainside or in a mine.

The third one is the absolute pits though. There's nothing redeeming about it at all.

Yes I did notice a marked step back in the CGI but I figured that was in part the transition to more total CGI and less real sets with like, CGI matte paintings.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

OwlFancier posted:

Polychlorinated biphenyl

It's been (and/or being) used as a coolant and insulator in large (as in, large) electrical equipment.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I saw Tenet in the cinema at like 3pm on a Friday afternoon the week it came out. There were 7 of us in the auditorium, I didn't catch the 'rona and the film was poo poo.

Welp, that's my pandemic cinema story.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Is it that time again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM7byUTrSZA

OwlFancier posted:

One thing I really enjoyed about the His Dark Materials trilogy is the alt-history you can piece together from passing references. Things like science being called "experimental theology" and the "photon mill" being a miraculous curio that shows the power of the god, rather than being a crookes radiometer (also mirroring the initial lack of understanding on how the crookes radiometer worked) and stuff like how Scoresby comes from Texas which is apparently an independent country which split from New Spain. There's mention of Skraelings visiting the colleges (suggesting that the Americas might have been known to europeans from the early Danish trips there rather than columbus) and the fens are apparently never drained, and are home to a big traveller community living on narrowboats. Took me a while to figure out where the gently caress they were supposedly hiding out in the UK that had hundreds of miles of trackless marsh with minimal central government authority, but as I got older a lot more of the history made sense. A good series IMO if you like semi-obscure history and want to have fun getting the references.
I've not read it but it sounds like I should. I've noticed more and more mosquito larvae in stagnant water recently, which is a worry, but fenchat has made me wonder what bizarre name fenmen would have given them, because there were obviously a ton there. Did they know they were related to mosquitoes or did they think they spontaneously generated in water. Snorkly biteybee?

OwlFancier posted:

Polychlorinated biphenyls. They used to use them for transformer and capacitor oils because they're very good at insulating and not catching fire, but it turned out they're very bad at everything else.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

Yes I did notice a marked step back in the CGI but I figured that was in part the transition to more total CGI and less real sets with like, CGI matte paintings.

Yeah this is something that's actually gotten a lot better in the decade since the Hobbit trilogy. Still no substitute for all the crazy perception techniques and tricked out sets though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

gently caress yes just the smash cuts from lord of the rings to shrek 2 and back again. Art.

Like bad CGI aside I do think that's basically the kind of sequence that a lot of the 50's-70's swashbuckler movies would have had if they'd had the technology and hadn't had to hire ray harryhausen to do it all with putty.

Or like, if you compare it with stuff from one of my favourite movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZBkTm19fmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPPiHCkDNNI

You can see where the idea comes from. It even has brendan fraser beating up invisible skeletons at the end too, but you get to look at some good fun acting and some nice actual sets and crowd scenes.

Guavanaut posted:

I've not read it but it sounds like I should. I've noticed more and more mosquito larvae in stagnant water recently, which is a worry, but fenchat has made me wonder what bizarre name fenmen would have given them, because there were obviously a ton there. Did they know they were related to mosquitoes or did they think they spontaneously generated in water. Snorkly biteybee?

It's mostly in the first book so you don't have to commit, and the first one also works quite well standalone even with the plot hook at the end.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Oct 4, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

Polychlorinated biphenyls. They used to use them for transformer and capacitor oils because they're very good at insulating and not catching fire, but it turned out they're very bad at everything else.

They're still used in the US, though the equipment has to carry a warning label about it (which hasn't changed since the 80s) and they can't make any more (but can apply to import it, in classic US fashion).

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I saw Jurassic Park (the original one) at the cinema a few weeks ago, it was pretty cool.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebzilla posted:

I saw Jurassic Park (the original one) at the cinema a few weeks ago, it was pretty cool.

I'd love to see it at the cinema but I think I'd resent paying to see a film that ITV shows every week, that I already own on DVD and Blu Ray and is also on Netflix.

Like last year we went to see Dirty Dancing at Backyard Cinema, which cost like £17 each. It was a fun experience but when we got home we put the TV on and Dirty Dancing was on. Takes the wind out of the sails a bit.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Yeah true but it was a fiver.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also like with Alien it seems like a movie that would actually benefit from the environment.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

There's probably some fancy cinematography term for this, but why is the camera always moving in the opposite direction to the action? Every time the dwarves are going down the waterfall the camera shoots up, if they're being washed away right the camera lazily bobs left. It feels half-drunk.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I do like going to the cinema, it's nice to sit in a room whose only purpose is watching a movie and have it shown real big in front of you. that said I did usually go to an independent cinema in whatever city I was in at the time, the sort that shows mostly independent/foreign films and one or two bigger films at a time. I do hope those kinds of places manage to hang on through the pandemic.

I almost saw Portrait of a Lady On Fire as my last pre-covid movie but I was tired that day and decided to put it off until the next weekend. Seeing it streaming months later I can confirm it would have blown me away even more on a big screen in a dark room. Still, last one I actually saw was Parasite, so still a high note imo.

My main gripes in all cinemas is holding one's bladder in longer movies, can we bring back intervals for long movies please. Also,

BizarroAzrael posted:

there's a new Cats and Dogs which may have been done largely under lockdown.

wow, there are not one but two sequels to that weird movie I almost forgot from 2001, and each sequel is like 10 years after the one before. this is not the cats and dogs economy i was expecting. the main thing I remember from the first movie is that there was a joke about farting. this is the entirety of the movie that has stuck in my memory.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

We have unlimited cards and our mates all have them too. It was a great way to get out of the house and go see our friends, especially as a lot of them don't drink so we'd generally go to the cinema every week and go for a meal somewhere.

That's never coming back as honestly if we can get the latest films at home we have a huge TV and a surround sound system and can cook better anyway so we'll just invite people over and split the ticket cost.

I feel a little sad as it was a way of life thing that we'd just gotten into in the last few years. (mostly because in the Netherlands we'd go see every terrible movie and get pissed on cheap beer then stagger home via a Syrian kebab place and it was awesome) but hey that's that.

Now if only I could convince cineworld to stop loving charging me for their unlimited cards... Bastards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Angepain posted:

My main gripes in all cinemas is holding one's bladder in longer movies, can we bring back intervals for long movies please.

I went to a 70mm screening of Hateful Eight and it had an interval. It was great and makes it feel like more of a night out. Getting a drink, having a chat about the film so far. They should bring it back for another longer than 150 minutes.

Mebh posted:

Now if only I could convince cineworld to stop loving charging me for their unlimited cards... Bastards.

I emailed them to stop it and they confirmed my subscription had ended, but "forgot" to stop charging me. I ended up just cancelling the direct debit.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's probably some fancy cinematography term for this, but why is the camera always moving in the opposite direction to the action? Every time the dwarves are going down the waterfall the camera shoots up, if they're being washed away right the camera lazily bobs left. It feels half-drunk.

Probably something that looked good in 3D

Unlike the entire movie

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Special Solidarity Fudge!

Time are tough, a lot of us are struggling and the world is a gently caress. In order to try and spread a little happiness an anonymous benefactor and myself have hatched a plan to bring a little cheer and sweetness to goons who are in the poo poo at the moment.

It’s very simple really- I have twelve gift packs of assorted fudge, each with 200g of product. We want to provide this to people who need a bit of a lift, absolutely free- no cost, no postage, nothing. All I need is an address, and fudge will be mailed on Thursday of this week (08/10).

We’re not about means testing or any shite like that- you know your own story, and it’s yours to keep or share as you chose. All I will ask is that people not abuse this; if you’re having a rough time of it then drop me a pm and I’ll add you to the list. Our stocks are limited, so if demand is heavy not all requests will be able to be filled.

We hope this will help bring some pleasure into those who are struggling at the moment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress yes just the smash cuts from lord of the rings to shrek 2 and back again. Art.

Like bad CGI aside I do think that's basically the kind of sequence that a lot of the 50's-70's swashbuckler movies would have had if they'd had the technology and hadn't had to hire ray harryhausen to do it all with putty.

Or like, if you compare it with stuff from one of my favourite movies:
The 1999 Mummy is an excellent movie and the logical conclusion of the Indiana Jones type movie without being fully ridiculous.

Of course, sometimes it's fun to just do that instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iToRAfA-V0s

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Of course, sometimes it's fun to just do that instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iToRAfA-V0s

Somewhere, Vauban is screaming about the necessity of keeping a perimeter around the fortifications clear of trees or other obstructions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The best part is that it's not any more terrible movie physics than flinging people from siege engines in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was, it's just "what if this but on the scale of classical Indian battles?"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I feel bad for the team at 0:50 which doesn't clear the outer wall.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Laurence Fox is currently screaming on Twitter that he isn't going to shop in Sainbury's anymore because they don't want racists shopping in their shops, excellent. (I'm not linking his hateful shite here)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

stev posted:

e: And as always I have to recommend Lindsay Ellis' fantastic trilogy of Hobbit video essays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

As with every time it comes up, The Hobbit movies are basically a microcosm of the awfulness of capitalism and how it pervades and ruins everything.

They were always supposed to be 2 movies but studio interference made them pad it out to three which essentially hosed up the entire story by needing to fit three full movies' worth of arcs into a story book you can read in a couple of hours which barely has one.

If you're interested in really digging into it, Lindsay Ellis did an excellent series on youtube about how hosed up it all was.

It's a crying shame because so much passion and artistry went into it and what we wound up with was a bunch of b-roll of people running around in front of green screens because they didn't have enough actual content to fill out the nine hours of runtime (in which you could read the original story two to three times), and because they needed to 'save' some key scenes to make nerds buy the blu ray the way they did for LOTR (but for LOTR they geninely didn't have time in the runtime of the movies to fit in all the plot they could have, because LOTR is like 5 or 6 times longer than The Hobbit).

It's one of the biggest 'what if' moments for me in recent film history because JUST IMAGINE if we'd had the Del Toro-directed duology, There, and Back Again...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

One for OwlFancier.

Some solid avatar material right there

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013
So those are real names? I thought it was just this joke with animals.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

The best part is that it's not any more terrible movie physics than flinging people from siege engines in Robin Hood Prince of Thieves was, it's just "what if this but on the scale of classical Indian battles?"

There is the slight issue that the guys falling off the wall appear to hit terminal velocity and their rate of descent suggests the wall is about 700 feet tall. Or about the same size as the cheesegrater.

escapegoat posted:

So those are real names? I thought it was just this joke with animals.

Bishy barnabee is a norforlk term for ladybirds, fledermaus is the german word for bat so it makes sense there's an english surviving equivalent in the manner of the word "kenning" and its derivatives, or the word "unbeknownst" which is almost exactly "unbekanntes" and hodmadod or hoddy doddy man or similar is definitely a word for snail.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Oct 4, 2020

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Camrath posted:

I don't have PMs but I've been wanting to buy some of your fudge for my mum for ages. I'm long term unemployed though and just barely scraping through life by the skin of my teeth, so it's not been possible. Could I take advantage of this generous offer to get you to send my mum one of these please?

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Voyeur posted:

I don't have PMs but I've been wanting to buy some of your fudge for my mum for ages. I'm long term unemployed though and just barely scraping through life by the skin of my teeth, so it's not been possible. Could I take advantage of this generous offer to get you to send my mum one of these please?

Absolutely! Email me the name and address to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com and make sure to reference your username so I can match it up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I mean, they managed to achieve sufficient velocity to smash through giant siege catapults and come out OK, which I don't think happened in Prince of Thieves.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Guavanaut posted:

One for OwlFancier.

Flitter mouse is close to the German word for bat- Fledermaus.

Camrath posted:

This is a really cool thing to do.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

OwlFancier posted:

Also like with Alien it seems like a movie that would actually benefit from the environment.
I may have mentioned this before, but I saw the Director's Cut re-release of Alien when it came out in 2003.

The only cinema remotely close to me that was showing it was the Odeon on New Street in Birmingham.

There were four of us in the auditorium, and for reasons that I still don't really understand all of the walls inside the auditorium were painted white.

Every tiny flash of light on the screen (of which there are quite a few in Alien!) lit up the whole room like a Christmas tree, and totally ruined the movie for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyeur
Dec 5, 2000
I like to watch.

Camrath posted:

Absolutely! Email me the name and address to Fudjit.orders@gmail.com and make sure to reference your username so I can match it up.

Done. Much appreciated.