Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
The gold scorpitron fight was very funny - drove my truck into it on move 1, turn 1 and it died immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I feel like I put attributes in a bit of a mess on my characters but also can't be bothered making entirely new ones and wish I could just respec them lol

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I don't know if its been mentioned here but a source of reputation is finding the traders on the world map and using kiss-rear end to get +1 rep. Its obviously not a reliable source of points but its there. The added bonus is if you have a high enough rep with them they give you special poo poo. The 100 Families loved me so their guy gave me a lvl 10 explosive shotgun for free. That's kind of why I never tow back to Colorado Springs. I will admit its time consuming since they are rare and its boring driving from Aspen back home.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

I wish there was a way to like, auto-travel on the world map if nothing else. The ability to just click on a landmark you've discovered on the map and have the AI navigate there would be extremely nice.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Upmarket Mango posted:

About Denver and the oil... the Machine Commune loved me and my ending said they sold oil to everyone so would that meet the criteria to get the Ranger takeover ending too?

Selling oil to everyone means nobody ends up with quite enough.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Defiance Industries posted:

Selling oil to everyone means nobody ends up with quite enough.

:xcom:munism

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I was underwhelmed by the ending to Liberty`s mission. Vic and Val got the coolest missions by far.
She was the most interesting of the children tough, i would let her dominate the colorado of my heart if you know what i mean.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So should I get 1 first aid with everyone so everyone can use medic packs?

and should I generally be trying to keep 1 regular weapon and 1 energy weapon on people?

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 2, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jose posted:

So should I get 1 first aid with everyone so everyone can use medic packs?

and should I generally be trying to keep 1 regular weapon and 1 energy weapon on people?

Yes, it can be useful.

Nah. Regular weapons are fine. Robots / synths are rare and not that much harder.

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Very nice game, but the load times are killing it. Had to stop halfway because it got to annoying. Got my kindle out to read the forums while waiting, but then I kept that and couldn't concentrate on the game, and then CK3 got in the way. Finally finished.

I didn't use submachine guns, shotguns or explosive on my run, never really tried. Sniper and heavy weapon was my most deadly. Usually started each fight with rally, then demoralize from my charisma guy, then the heavy weapon skill "Suppressing Fire" on the biggest group.

Pistols can get insane - Lucia got the "Man Cannon", with a mod to reduce action points, and another mod for extended range. She was deadly with it. Kwon with an automatic rifle was okay. Brawling is insane in the endgame - power fist of plasma fist with 1 action point per attack, and AE damage/stun every four attacks.

I wouln't worry to much about starting stats - you'll get a lot of statpoints on level ups, so all my chars ended up similar stats at the end. Next run I think I'll start out everybody with max charisma, and try getting everybody the rally perk for lots of action points to go around.

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007
I think the game ended just we should've expected it: During the start of the epilogue slides the game threw a "Client has Disconnected" error on both me and my COOP partner, booting both of us into the main menu. I'll just pretend everything ended with sunshine.
There was a distinct lack of polish across the game I didn't expect out of a veteran studio like this:

Why did everyone in the Buchanan family except Valor have frontal camera introductions? Why did Fishlips and Scotchmo have it but not the other companions?
Why did the game ship with atrocious load times? We leveled into survival just to get a skip button on all the random encounters because the loading was so bad.
Why did the game stutter heavily each time I fired the vehicle particle cannon or when talking with the patriarch in the palace?
Why was each player party counted separately for barter, armor/weapon modding, and XP from leadership?
Why was there a distinct lack of ambient music or sounds during several (all?) climactic dialogue moments? On the last main quest the last talk with Liberty was silent except the barrage of noise out of the pets and robots we had brought. That was such a mood killer when the goddamn golden toaster kept doing the BOING BOING BOING sound..
At the end several of our companions left the party AND TOOK THEIR GEAR WITH THEM. That was a pretty big pace killer
We were also really confused by the fact that wiping out the Gippers meant we lost the "peaceful" ending according to the HQ Advisor. We simply assumed that the Machine intelligence would take over the area if asked nicely. Ooops?

I might be coming across as being negative, but overall it felt like a potentially solid game that due to a lack of dev time or other circumstances almost gets dragged into below-average. While we had several frustrating moments, we also had a good time. If anyone is on the fence I'd really recommend waiting until a Directors cut, or at the very least until the load times get patched. The sprint from the Patriarch palace back into Ranger HQ (3 load screens!) almost zapped our will to play.

Edit: I was really happy to see Quarex not only get a voiced return but also get a minor quest anda place in the ranger HQ giving a nice perk at the end. :shobon:

Lamquin fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 2, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Of course I bought all the guns and armour I needed in the bizarre before clearing out the warrens :v: Do shops improve their stock as you increase in level making it worth going back to at least?

I get it might break game balance or whatever but even on a first play through its tempting to just give myself unlimited money so i can always upgrade weapons at least

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
We just finished the warrens and haven't even entered the bizarre proper yet, hopefully those clown dudes that we killed were bad guys!

Agree with post above about lack of polish, really a bummer but not a deal breaker for my friend and I, at least so far.

I hope a lot of the rough stuff gets fixed through a patch or director's cut, and they add a freaking combat log, the lack of which continues to baffle us.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I do miss the skeuomorphic UI and random number stations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Jose posted:

Of course I bought all the guns and armour I needed in the bizarre before clearing out the warrens :v: Do shops improve their stock as you increase in level making it worth going back to at least?

I get it might break game balance or whatever but even on a first play through its tempting to just give myself unlimited money so i can always upgrade weapons at least

The shop in your armory gets new stuff from time to time. I think that's pretty much it.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Money is honestly only a constraint if you plunge ahead into overleveled areas or hit a random vendor on the map. Otherwise you won’t need to buy much; and if you hit a zone where a new tier of stuff is available be prepared to see it dropping immediately in chests (just not the one thing you want). Your main base vendor is tied to progress, so check after each kid

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ok cool. So I know the game was released fairly recently is a patch to fix the hideous loading times likely to happen soon because I'm tempted to push back on playing the rest until it does. Its not a deal breaker though

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Jose posted:

Ok cool. So I know the game was released fairly recently is a patch to fix the hideous loading times likely to happen soon because I'm tempted to push back on playing the rest until it does. Its not a deal breaker though

Yeah, the longish loading times serve as a disincentive to save scum at least.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

If you were like me and wondered if the Animal Whisperer lvl 10 perk showed the location of the random traders on the map it doesn't. It just reveals the whole map without exploring it and places markers at places you'll go to eventually. It doesn't allow you to actually enter those places though or the map is bugged and its showing me a place that doesn't exist. That perk is useless unless you want to see the whole map without exploring.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

limp_cheese posted:

If you were like me and wondered if the Animal Whisperer lvl 10 perk showed the location of the random traders on the map it doesn't. It just reveals the whole map without exploring it and places markers at places you'll go to eventually. It doesn't allow you to actually enter those places though or the map is bugged and its showing me a place that doesn't exist. That perk is useless unless you want to see the whole map without exploring.

That sucks. Is there a definitive perk description list someone found? Not sure if the OP has been updated yet.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I missed several things because I wasted the points on the survival level 10 feat tricking myself into thinking it would do what it said it did.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

That sucks. Is there a definitive perk description list someone found? Not sure if the OP has been updated yet.

Not yet - might get time next week - feel free to toss your experiences with perks too as... some I don’t try. Had a feeling the explorer perk would blow. Give me a bit - real life is busy in a good way

Edit: quick suggestions- don’t waste time with flame as it’s a bit shite no matter how hard you go. Never took survival over 6 and I’m fairly sure I missed little. Barter is still ok post nerf but money isn’t that important. SMGs outclass ARs in the game. Explosives are great and sneak + rocket is evil. Ramming with vehicle is the easiest key to victory. AW is great even at low level and same with FA. Best AW perk is the level 3 pet boost. My fingers are tired from tapping my iPhone

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Oct 4, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Major Tomcat died under mysterious circumstances in the big Warrens battle I think and we didn't have the heart to reload and fight through it again.

Am I right that any cat will give the crit chance bonus?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Jose posted:

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun had the same Unity engine problem, and they turned it around with a huge update. Only took 15 months soo..
Fingers crossed :ohdear:

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

Major Tomcat died under mysterious circumstances in the big Warrens battle I think and we didn't have the heart to reload and fight through it again.

Am I right that any cat will give the crit chance bonus?

Yes, but if you have Major Tomcat you can have him on one character and a cat on another to get the massive +12% crit chance on two characters instead of just one. You can only have 1 of each animal in the party otherwise.

Lucia makes Django look like a pussy if you get her crit high enough, so having a cat on both her and my sniper was really good.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

How was this game $60? I've crashed it two times now trying to fight the drools in the denver ruins, and now the game won't start. It hangs on the loading screen (not a save loading, the entire game loading) and plays snippets of sounds from that fight.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Nephthys posted:

Yes, but if you have Major Tomcat you can have him on one character and a cat on another to get the massive +12% crit chance on two characters instead of just one. You can only have 1 of each animal in the party otherwise.

Lucia makes Django look like a pussy if you get her crit high enough, so having a cat on both her and my sniper was really good.

gently caress, oh well. I even had the extra pet health perk, no idea what happened in that fight and no log to check anyway.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

That Animal Whisperer perk is even more worthless than I realized. I had to look up online where the Massacre Site was because it wasn't showing up on the map even after I had the perk. There are also some locations it does have markers for that I'm sure will be DLC. There are 2 in the southwest corner of the map. I assume 1 is DLC and not bugged because its in the middle of a natural circle on the map.

God that perk is just awful.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Melee pets run up to things... things explode when you kill them. Pretty sure that’s how I lost the parrot.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
that was how i lost polly, too.

game's pretty good otherwise. i haven't run into any bugs. aspen was a slog, though. i hope i'll get to see more of liberty, because that scene you get around denver is awesome. i wish the game had more of those close-up bits. but angela deth seems like some kind of idiot idealist and while i'm not down with the patriach, he's been pretty honest and forthright and deth's morality feels really out of place for a setting filled with robots, slavers, cyborg slavers, mutants, and the imminent threat of human societal collapse.

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 5, 2020

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I put about 20 hours in, lost all my cyber chickens, and thus all hope. My point allocation was also all over the map. I've shelved it until a few more patches drop.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
powered through to the end. i seem to have gotten pretty lucky that I didn't run into any bugs. on the other hand, everything after denver felt remarkably rushed. everything to do with angela deth just didn't work. i can see what they were going for what price freedom, the nature of revolutions and atrocity, idealism in a wasteland, powerless suffering the whims of the powerful, and so on and I think it's a neat twist on the formula that the patriarch is not cartoonishly evil or waiting to turn on you the moment he can it just doesn't work. the fact that the plan of the revolutionaries involves sending cyborg genghis khan to pillage kansas once he's done taking down the buchanan regime, and there's not really any moment to point that out to the supposed well-meaning idealists, just felt very weird. it's an interesting idea to build a RPG story around, but it needed more time in the oven and more depth and more opportunities to engage with the philosophy and perspective of the revolutionaries. as it is, they just kind of come across as idiots and it's hard to believe they could gain any kind of traction. that or they're an analogy for the coalition of the willing, who knows.

it's good, though. the soundtrack is just incredible. there's a lot of stuff i like about it but after a strong beginning it began to feel weaker and weaker as it went on.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I've hit some bugs but it makes me sad I can't modify companion's clothes, only my custom rangers. Fish lips would look great in an elf suit!

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

That Animal Whisperer perk is even more worthless than I realized. I had to look up online where the Massacre Site was because it wasn't showing up on the map even after I had the perk. There are also some locations it does have markers for that I'm sure will be DLC. There are 2 in the southwest corner of the map. I assume 1 is DLC and not bugged because its in the middle of a natural circle on the map.

God that perk is just awful.
I used your review of the Survival perk Explorer's Instinct. Made me laff. Thank you as I never would have tried it out myself.

I added a lot of perk info for you guys and hope it helps. I need to test out another game if the auto perk Stormer affects perks Spray and Pray or Puncturing Shot. I THINK it doesn't but a part of me can't remember one way or the other. I just remember shooting lots with my Ripper. Let me know if you guys have any input for perks and whatnot and I'll add it to the gigantic op. Same with gifs or pics.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Melee pets run up to things... things explode when you kill them. Pretty sure that's how I lost the parrot.

Horizon Burning posted:

that was how i lost polly, too.

game's pretty good otherwise. i haven't run into any bugs. aspen was a slog, though. i hope i'll get to see more of liberty, because that scene you get around denver is awesome. i wish the game had more of those close-up bits. but angela deth seems like some kind of idiot idealist and while i'm not down with the patriarch, he's been pretty honest and forthright and deth's morality feels really out of place for a setting filled with robots, slavers, cyborg slavers, mutants, and the imminent threat of human societal collapse.

How I lost Polly pre patch as well and all my saves that I make other games off of are post Polly.

Glad you enjoyed it! I think everyone had the same realization about Angie Deth One of those time's that reminds me of a movie quote I have no idea where it's from:
"Was that it? Was that your plan?"
"Yeah. Pretty much."
"Bad plan."
Still want to go back after DLC and some time. The CtD is really bad. I swear its worse post patch than before and considering they nerfed barter antique perk that is .... a dick move. Love the game though. It's a patch or two away and a few tweaks from being a great game. A DLC or two to flesh out things and add some more meat to the main plot and we are talking GOtY contender. They have to fix the crash to xbone desktop though as it's really bad and most people aren't going to reload the game every 20 minutes to an hour or so. I do it as I love what is there and used to buggy launches with great games.

One thing I was curious about is if you guys could tweak the game what would you tweak? Note: I do NOT work for inXile but I naturally kinda along the lines of "if I did work for X company and made this game I might do Y and Z". Like one thing is more perks. I can live with the perk points as they are but I miss some of the old W2 perks. I miss giving my brawler and melee attacks of opportunity.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Add a combat log, full stop. Trying to play a turn based tactical game without it is really annoying because things will happen on AI turns and stuff will explode, status effects will be placed, etc. and it's really difficult to understand what just happened.

I also don't like how after a fight, suddenly being on fire or poisoned is an emergency and you can't pause to figure out what you need to do to fix the situation before someone low on health drops completely unnecessarily.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Also, thanks for the perks write up in the OP, matches my feeling that they are for the most part very underwhelming. Definitely agree that a sweeping revision of the perks system would be awesome.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Add a combat log, full stop. Trying to play a turn based tactical game without it is really annoying because things will happen on AI turns and stuff will explode, status effects will be placed, etc. and it's really difficult to understand what just happened.

I also don't like how after a fight, suddenly being on fire or poisoned is an emergency and you can't pause to figure out what you need to do to fix the situation before someone low on health drops completely unnecessarily.

I'd like a radio message log, sometimes events or radiation interrupt them.

GrumpyGoesWest
Apr 9, 2015

Yeah combat log for sure. It could be like the info button up top. But throw it off to side click it when you want to view it.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I want it so when I make a save with an individual ranger selected and I reload that save that individual ranger stays selected instead of the whole team. I swear I screw up my pre-battle positioning every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

A Strange Aeon posted:

Also, thanks for the perks write up in the OP, matches my feeling that they are for the most part very underwhelming. Definitely agree that a sweeping revision of the perks system would be awesome.
Agreed on the combat log. Very, very agreed. Same with radio log. Another thing I would like is an easier way to tell if I'm going to start taking rad damage soon. I'd go into some green clouds and fine but a but later and no noticeable change and *boom* rad damage. Also never really saw much of mutations. Wouldn't mind that coming into play more.
There are some good perks there but lots of garbage. Loved the sync between taunt and supression fire and wish we had more of that. Also hated what they did for flamethrowers. First game I went all in. Every perk, quirk and stat built around a weapon that becomes nonexistant post Bizarre or right around. Loved the flame AR and wish we could have had more. They need more flamers and more perks for not just damage but debuffs. If someone is on fire they should have massive minuses. Not just one perk that lowers the to hit by 15%.

Main things i'd change: Bear in mind inXile made a great game.... just my thoughts to tweak it so it becomes the next New Vegas.
Fix the crash to XBox1 desktop. Before anything else. I want more people to play and love this game.
Combat Log
More tiers of weapons or increase stats to existing weapons if you keep using them (like weapons have a level).
Buff ARs - more damage, greater AP penetration and range. Leave SMgs how they are. A slight buff to ARs would make them worth it.
Slight buff to flamethrowers and more of them. Also increase the debuff aspect of them like I said above.
More perks in general both active and passive. Also tweak the perks that are there. Some trees are almost nonexistant. Example: move that armour perk for party + to armour for a lot lower. Like level 4 or 5. Leadership is great with the two active but a couple of other passive + ld range or party buff would be nice cheap perks perfect for low levels. Perks should never be based around something that never happens or is rare.
Love the bladed perks that greatly increase their effectiveness and wish blunt had the same. My chainsword at max is evil but still feels a bit ... missing.
Brawling -1AP perk should be far lower or other brawling perks need to bring brawling to something useful before that perk. Right now brawling sucks until you get that perk but still .... its fun and all but you are essentially still focused on taking down ONE guy. My melee guy can multiple charge and take out several low level guys or hit a big guy hard.
For both brawling and Melee add in attacks of opportunity and Samurai (+ armor when in melee combat)
For AW I'd add in a pet revive or make your pets able to be revived like PCs.
Ability to remove both weapon and armor mods like they had in before.
Fix the capacity mag mods to be a percentage. This hurts early shotguns but now they can work with other stuff.
Quirk overhaul - some of good - none are OP but some are just useless.
Make the Social + skill backgrounds even just +2. Still not that useful but + is something better than a +1
Antique Dealer - fine leave off the junk weapon parts viability but increase the percentage of money you can gain.
Make more speech checks with barter. Being able to negotiate sounds like a fun path.
Enemy vehicles should occasionally ram your guys. Only time I feared a vehicle was the Payosas because they kept popping out clowns.
Make the machine commune negotiate so we can give oil to Colorado City.
More late game content. Once you finish Aspen the game is wrapping up. I just want more Colorado.