Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Currently, what's drawing me to is that one of the big raid bosses or whatever is Chaos from Final Fantasy 1. It's not a big thing, but I like throwback stuff like that, and I'm curious if there more of that kind of thing in the game. I've also recently read that one of the expansions is now included in the trial period.

There are a ton of throwback raid bosses, there's even Doom Train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I've been considering FF14 on-and-off for a while now. For reference, I've tried the trial version World of Warcraft a few times, but I've always bounced off it, maybe because it doesn't seem like there's a lot to do outside of combat (among other reasons). The impression I got was that FF14 was a bit more varied with its content.

Currently, what's drawing me to is that one of the big raid bosses or whatever is Chaos from Final Fantasy 1. It's not a big thing, but I like throwback stuff like that, and I'm curious if there more of that kind of thing in the game. I've also recently read that one of the expansions is now included in the trial period.

FFXIV is still pretty heavy combat focused. There's side content of course and you can spend 100 hours just collecting Triple Triad cards if you want but most of what you'll be doing involves combat.

That said the combat is very geared towards being big cool-feeling spectacles. There's harder/more challenging combat available as optional content but the bulk of what you'll encounter is big, shiny and cool. (Which is something they've gotten progressively better at as the game goes on, the 2.0 stuff is easily the least fancy.)

There are a ton of FF callbacks, both blunt and obvious. You'll fight pretty much the entire Final Fantasy III lineup, Magitek Armor, the Guard Scorpion, bosses from FFV and VI, the Warring Traid from VI, etc. Some of them are alternate takes on the concepts while others are pretty straight callbacks.

It has a very good story but stuffers from the fact that it takes a long while to get going and the initial part of the game is absolutely the weakest part. Almost everything it sets up pays off in wonderful fashion but that involves investing the time to get there.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

garfield hentai posted:

There are a ton of throwback raid bosses, there's even Doom Train

Ghost Train. Doom train is the undead skeleton train from FF8 and is actually cool.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

So there's a sale on Square Enix games on Steam, and I'm thinking about picking up some of the Final Fantasy games that are still on my wishlist. I was aiming to get FFXII Zodiac, though I was was looking at FFXV as well. I don't know why, but XV is cheaper ($17.49) compared to XII ($24.99). I thought I read somewhere that XV got patched not too long ago, so the performance issues it had got patched (or there are mods that help fix the game up).

I also have FFV on the wishlist, but I forgot that one has the weird, smoothed out sprites and interface, like the Steam version of FFVI (and I think Chrono Trigger), and that puts me off of it.

I'm also tentatively considering trying FF14, though I imagine there's a thread for it where I can field questions.

Outside of Final Fantasy, I also have Romancing Saga 2 on the wishlist, but the reviews for it are mixed. It sounds like it's a mobile port, like the Final Fantasy games. A couple of the reviews make it sound like it's been patched, and runs better now. Unlike Final Fantasy, I don't know that much about SaGa. I remember someone telling me recently that the game is built around discouraging min/maxing, where skill improvements are random. Also, small choices you make early on will affect the story hours later. Based on that, it sounds like the game is pretty hard.

Moving outside of Square Enix entirely, Gujian 3 is also on sale. I've seen it praised here and there, but I don't know much about it. I'm curious about checking it out, but I wanted to know more about it.

The Romancing SaGa 2 port is fine enough despite being a mobile port (It is thankfully nowhere near as ugly as the FF mobile ports) but if you're new to SaGa then Scarlet Grace is a better entry point instead. It's way more approachable and it has in-game documentation for a lot of game mechanics.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

So there's a sale on Square Enix games on Steam, and I'm thinking about picking up some of the Final Fantasy games that are still on my wishlist. I was aiming to get FFXII Zodiac, though I was was looking at FFXV as well. I don't know why, but XV is cheaper ($17.49) compared to XII ($24.99). I thought I read somewhere that XV got patched not too long ago, so the performance issues it had got patched (or there are mods that help fix the game up).

FFXV's performance depends on what setting you are willing to play it. I was playing with max settings and the performance is all over the place. I couldn't get it locked at 60fps. I tinkered a bit but still had issues, although another issue was I had installed the game on my hdd instead of SSD. I was using i7 8k and 2080ti.

That being said the game looks loving fantastic on PC, if they do a beefed up version for FF7R that's why I will rebuy it again. Driving on the regalia, listening to some old FF tracks and looking at the beautiful vistas is just a great experience if you are a FF fan. The rest of the game is pretty disappointing. It's basically FF monster hunter for the first half then it becomes more linear and there is a plot about political drama/unsolved family issues. But the plot is barely comprehensible and if you don't consume all the side FF15 content it is still confusing. The first half is fine to good, then it's a mess. The gameplay is a mess, nothing is explained at all and the mechanics seem to not work as they are intended. I honestly think it feels as good as 7R and in some ways better because you can actually dodge in 15 but in 7R it's almost impossible to evade without parry materia. But you can basically spam 1 button to the end and level up anything.

One day I will replay it to just understand the combat because I feel like there is lots of interesting things in 15 but the game makes it so hard to access them or learn them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Ghost Train. Doom train is the undead skeleton train from FF8 and is actually cool.

Phantom Train. :colbert:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
In Disgaea 2, are there some simple and quick ways to level up new characters that aren't like endgame powerleveling tricks? I've unlocked some interesting new classes but they start at level 1 while all my other guys are around 17.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

That sounds early enough that I think giving them some good equipment and soloing one of the early stages is probably fine, but you should have tower attacks as an option. Put them on top so they’re safe and kill a couple high level monsters. The exp gets divided among everyone in the tower

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

In Disgaea 2, are there some simple and quick ways to level up new characters that aren't like endgame powerleveling tricks? I've unlocked some interesting new classes but they start at level 1 while all my other guys are around 17.

Honestly if they’re only sixteen levels behind you can just slap some good equipment and an emblem (one of those equips that boost all the stats) along with some glasses to improve their hit rate and they can catch up fairly easily. That and tower attacks like someone else mentioned.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Srice posted:

The Romancing SaGa 2 port is fine enough despite being a mobile port (It is thankfully nowhere near as ugly as the FF mobile ports) but if you're new to SaGa then Scarlet Grace is a better entry point instead. It's way more approachable and it has in-game documentation for a lot of game mechanics.

I guess I'll take a look at Scarlet Grace.

It wasn't on my wishlist, but I remembered that I wanted to ask about World of Final Fantasy. Is it any good? I remember watching a few videos of cutscenes from the game featuring FF characters from others games, and it seemed like it was pretty fun and cutesy.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 2, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Erg posted:

That sounds early enough that I think giving them some good equipment and soloing one of the early stages is probably fine, but you should have tower attacks as an option. Put them on top so they’re safe and kill a couple high level monsters. The exp gets divided among everyone in the tower

I'm replaying Disgaea 5 and it turns out the ultimate unbeatable strategy (for story mode) is to have an Armor Knight on the bottom of a tower with all your people in it and buff their def/res so they take 0 damage. You can, like, Tower Release and have everyone do their moves before walking back on top of the tower, no one takes any damage, and if you're feeling lazy you can also just kill the enemies one at a time with a massive tower attack.

That is all.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 2, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Paperhouse posted:

Something that should work with certain monster-classes: Go to levels with color tiles making monsters stronger, kill all of them before they get too strong, throw the one you want with the level you want into your base.

Too "work", the characters combined in your base need to have enough HP/MP to eventually "beat" the newcomer. If you mess up, your base gets destroyed and a very angry monster is released to game over you. If it works, you can do the same thing again but thanks to your new friend, go up a couple dozen levels.

In Disgaea 1 I abused this to give myself some 70+ level catgirls I hadn't yet unlocked. Then I reincarnated them to an even higher class their levels had unlocked. Made the final battle a total cake walk. :v:

I remember Disgaea 2 added some restrictions (I think Disgaea 1 allowed humanoid classes to be captured too?), but with monster classes it should still work.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Clarste posted:

I'm replaying Disgaea 5 and it turns out the ultimate unbeatable strategy (for story mode) is to have an Armor Knight on the bottom of a tower with all your people in it and buff their def/res so they take 0 damage. You can, like, Tower Release and have everyone do their moves before walking back on top of the tower, no one takes any damage, and if you're feeling lazy you can also just kill the enemies one at a time with a massive tower attack.

That is all.

I’ve never thought of trying this, and it’s further proof that disgaea rules

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Max Wilco posted:

I guess I'll take a look at Scarlet Grace.

It wasn't on my wishlist, but I remembered that I wanted to ask about World of Final Fantasy. Is it any good? I remember watching a few videos of cutscenes from the game featuring FF characters from others games, and it seemed like it was pretty fun and cutesy.

World of Final Fantasy is a fun and cutesy game that is also saddled with three pretty awful protagonists (one dumbass, one person who spends most of her time being a jerk to the dumbass while not being much smarter, one cutesy mascot character with an obnoxious vocal tic) and a plot that swings sharply into Kingdom Hearts-tier nonsense by endgame. Gameplaywise, the stack mechanic is interesting, if perhaps a little underbaked (swapping between stacked and unstacked isn't something you'll do that often), and I like how catching most monsters isn't just weaken monster, throw ball.

e: also it's one of the games where you can tell the translators had a lot of fun. The Mirage Manual (pokedex) abounds with silly references, terrible puns, and fourth wall shattering.

Leraika fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 2, 2020

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Disgaea 5 has more variety in its tower-based cheese strats than some games have in all their systems combined.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Libluini posted:

Something that should work with certain monster-classes: Go to levels with color tiles making monsters stronger, kill all of them before they get too strong, throw the one you want with the level you want into your base.

Too "work", the characters combined in your base need to have enough HP/MP to eventually "beat" the newcomer. If you mess up, your base gets destroyed and a very angry monster is released to game over you. If it works, you can do the same thing again but thanks to your new friend, go up a couple dozen levels.

In Disgaea 1 I abused this to give myself some 70+ level catgirls I hadn't yet unlocked. Then I reincarnated them to an even higher class their levels had unlocked. Made the final battle a total cake walk. :v:

I remember Disgaea 2 added some restrictions (I think Disgaea 1 allowed humanoid classes to be captured too?), but with monster classes it should still work.

He’s probably playing Dark Hero Days, which basically patched that out because of how OP it was, you can only capture enemies that are the same level as Adell/Axel now.

It is still a good trick to keep in mind for, like, if you want a dragon and don’t wanna grind one up, and if you end up playing the later games that let you capture humanoid units again it’s extremely useful.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I can't remember if it was on here or on some ancient GFAQs board, but I recall a post that was like "I loaded up my D2 save after like a year and had to stop and think about why my unit list was full of nekomatas".

That stuck with me, for some reason.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
scarlet grace is really good. the battle system is great and it feels perfect for shorter sessions as well as longer ones.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Ulio posted:

FFXV's performance depends on what setting you are willing to play it. I was playing with max settings and the performance is all over the place. I couldn't get it locked at 60fps. I tinkered a bit but still had issues, although another issue was I had installed the game on my hdd instead of SSD. I was using i7 8k and 2080ti.

That being said the game looks loving fantastic on PC, if they do a beefed up version for FF7R that's why I will rebuy it again. Driving on the regalia, listening to some old FF tracks and looking at the beautiful vistas is just a great experience if you are a FF fan. The rest of the game is pretty disappointing. It's basically FF monster hunter for the first half then it becomes more linear and there is a plot about political drama/unsolved family issues. But the plot is barely comprehensible and if you don't consume all the side FF15 content it is still confusing. The first half is fine to good, then it's a mess. The gameplay is a mess, nothing is explained at all and the mechanics seem to not work as they are intended. I honestly think it feels as good as 7R and in some ways better because you can actually dodge in 15 but in 7R it's almost impossible to evade without parry materia. But you can basically spam 1 button to the end and level up anything.

One day I will replay it to just understand the combat because I feel like there is lots of interesting things in 15 but the game makes it so hard to access them or learn them.

That's right, I remember FF15 has Kingsglaive, or whatever that prequel film was, and the story DLC for it got cancelled.

Leraika posted:

World of Final Fantasy is a fun and cutesy game that is also saddled with three pretty awful protagonists (one dumbass, one person who spends most of her time being a jerk to the dumbass while not being much smarter, one cutesy mascot character with an obnoxious vocal tic) and a plot that swings sharply into Kingdom Hearts-tier nonsense by endgame. Gameplaywise, the stack mechanic is interesting, if perhaps a little underbaked (swapping between stacked and unstacked isn't something you'll do that often), and I like how catching most monsters isn't just weaken monster, throw ball.

e: also it's one of the games where you can tell the translators had a lot of fun. The Mirage Manual (pokedex) abounds with silly references, terrible puns, and fourth wall shattering.

Do you think it's worth $12.49. I remember hearing complaints about the protagonists before, but it doesn't sound like a deal breaker. The stack thing I'm not clear on, so I should probably watch some gameplay videos to see what it's like.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I can't remember if it was on here or on some ancient GFAQs board, but I recall a post that was like "I loaded up my D2 save after like a year and had to stop and think about why my unit list was full of nekomatas".

That stuck with me, for some reason.

In the Disgaea 2 strategy guide, there's a section of the guide that outlines how to get Level 9999 monsters by going to 4-3, a level full of Nekomatas and Level Up Geopanels. The trick is to wait for the Nekomata to get to a really high level (if not Level 9999), then throw it into the portal to capture it.

https://disgaea.fandom.com/wiki/Nekomata_Trick

I never pulled it off when I played it on PS2, and to my chagrin, it looks like it was patched out in the later ports. :sigh:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 2, 2020

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

yeah it's absolutely worth 12.49, especially if the Maxima add-on comes with. Stacking is set up to be this big strategic thing but it's mostly LOOK I PUT A BABY TONBERRY ON A TONBERRY and that's okay too

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Leraika posted:

yeah it's absolutely worth 12.49, especially if the Maxima add-on comes with. Stacking is set up to be this big strategic thing but it's mostly LOOK I PUT A BABY TONBERRY ON A TONBERRY and that's okay too

What does Maxima add? Looking at the Steam page, it's not really clear, though it sounds like people were unhappy with it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Max Wilco posted:

What does Maxima add? Looking at the Steam page, it's not really clear, though it sounds like people were unhappy with it.

More Champions (summons) and Mirages (pokemon), as well as the ability for the protags to fight as FF characters from previous games, a Noctis-centric fishing game, a reduction of difficulty of the most obnoxious quest in the base game, and a few general improvements (more post-game stuff, the ability to carry more Mirages and more of certain plot items, the ability to re-fight certain secret bosses). It was like ...20 bucks? when it first came out on steam so that might be why people were annoyed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Clarste posted:

That is all.

It’s story mode, grab desco from the disgaea 4 dlc fights and she can murder everyone I. 5 like she did in 4. :black101:

Story mode has really simple balance while the postgame (real game) doesn’t take off the gloves so much as set them on fire and punch you.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Evil Fluffy posted:

It’s story mode, grab desco from the disgaea 4 dlc fights and she can murder everyone I. 5 like she did in 4. :black101:

Story mode has really simple balance while the postgame (real game) doesn’t take off the gloves so much as set them on fire and punch you.

Personally, I find the story way more fun because it's actually balanced and therefore might require some strategy, while the post-game is simply a matter of figuring out how to grind most efficiently. Like, nothing can possibly be balanced to provide an interesting challenge because the numbers are way too high to provide anything but a curbstomp in one direction or the other. It's not even a strategy game at that point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

I found that Metallia was an absolute monster on her own.

Really, between her and towering everyone, you can get crazy far in the game having no idea what you're doing like me.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Thats generally the idea for the story. If you’re underleveled with bad gear it can get rough but otherwise it’s only average difficulty.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I guess I'm going to play a JRPG and I actually want to finish it. Which one is the most enjoyable between Tales of Beseria or DQ11? I've started both but I'll have to start over.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

I guess I'm going to play a JRPG and I actually want to finish it. Which one is the most enjoyable between Tales of Beseria or DQ11? I've started both but I'll have to start over.

They're...pretty different. I haven't really enjoyed a Tales game outside of Destiny and Eternia, so I'd go with DQ11 but uh...yeah, real different games.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Berseria is 40 hours long with a very character focused story (fun cast though) and very fast paced battle system.

DQ11 is 80-100 hours long and more focused on the overall adventure, but is charming as hell all the way through, though it has old school turn based combat.

So I'd say Berseria if you're afraid of burning out. DQ if you want something more laid back.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 4, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Berseria by a mile

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Berseria but I think dragon quest is kind of just bland. Especially 11

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you want a 100 hour rpg thatd be generic on the snes much less 2020, do dq11. That isnt a knock against it really some people find that, like, comforting

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah Berseria but I think dragon quest is kind of just bland. Especially 11

Dragon Quest as a whole is like sipping Spritewhen you’re sick. It’s inoffensive and makes you feel good without upsetting anything.

E: Super late to the party but I got Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling and oh my god I love it :3: It’s definitely a huge love letter to old Paper Marios and the writing is super charming.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragon Quest XI was something I expected to be inoffensive and surprised me with one of the most aggravating protagonists in years. I quit playing the game rather than let him continue the narrative.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't see how he was any worse than your standard silent rpg protagonist.

Granted, silent protagonists are lame but I don't think he was more lame than the usual.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he has awful fashion sense

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't see how he was any worse than your standard silent rpg protagonist.

Granted, silent protagonists are lame but I don't think he was more lame than the usual.

The Act 3 decision that kicks it off.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I found the Act 2 ending satisfying enough and never got back into the game for Act 3 so I guess I never realised he suddenly became really annoying.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Many RPGs (and video games in general) run into the situation where in order to make the protagonist an effective player cipher for anyone, they paradoxically become the least interesting and most passive character within the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Act 3 is good