Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Bishy barnabee is a norforlk term for ladybirds, fledermaus is the german word for bat so it makes sense there's an english surviving equivalent in the manner of the word "kenning" and its derivatives, or the word "unbeknownst" which is almost exactly "unbekanntes" and hodmadod or hoddy doddy man or similar is definitely a word for snail.
Also sometimes a hedgehog, for some reason.

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, they managed to achieve sufficient velocity to smash through giant siege catapults and come out OK, which I don't think happened in Prince of Thieves.
Being thrown out of a siege engine would definitely do a number on your long bones, internal organs, and probably some of the blood vessels in places you really don't want.

David Purley survived worse, but he wasn't exactly up fighting straight after.

The terrible physics difference is one of quantity more than severity. This is the superior Robin Hood movie for movie physics no stop reminding me how badly the movie as a whole aged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-QkFrylJbQ

e: 175G is over 1,700 m·s-2 and will gently caress you up pretty badly.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the fact that part of the transphobia movement came out of rationalist new atheism is always quite surprising to me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

bump_fn posted:

the fact that part of the transphobia movement came out of rationalist new atheism is always quite surprising to me

It isn't to me, new atheism was garbo, pivoted right into islamphobia antifeminism and basically every other kind of reactionary horseshit imaginable at the drop of a hat. Because it's not rational, it's 100% about feeling like you're the biggest brain in the room regardless of mitigating evidence, combined with people who think atheism is a personality.

A whole subculture of people who aspire to be toby young.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 4, 2020

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

stev posted:

I did enjoy the first two the first time I saw them. They have the ingredients of a really good adaptation, and if they'd chopped out 50% of the runtime and put them together they'd probably have worked quite well. The visuals are pretty bad though, especially compared to the LOTR trilogy which still looks fantastic despite its age. At no point do you believe that the characters are actually on a mountainside or in a mine.

The third one is the absolute pits though. There's nothing redeeming about it at all.

e: And as always I have to recommend Lindsay Ellis' fantastic trilogy of Hobbit video essays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs
Disagree, number three has Thranduil being a badass, and sassing everyone.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Camrath, you and your fudge are awesome, and it genuinely made me well up when I saw your solidarity fudge post. This thread and the people in it are just the best.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

bump_fn posted:

They didn't much like feminism, gender studies, or anything that's a social construct, so it's an either or on whether they latched onto the interesting medical stuff and became allies but a bit transmed, or went full "buh buh trans is a mental delusion, also I am definitely certain I'm a man and don't need to explain why."

That was all very new science at that point though, so it basically split the new atheists between the ones who cared more about not being a poo poo person (who weren't really that deep anyway) and the ones who cared more about "IFL science there's only two genders and they're binary and the same as sex read a biology book for children written before 1990!"

OwlFancier posted:

A whole subculture of people who aspire to be toby young.
The real mental delusion.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

The Perfect Element posted:

Camrath, you and your fudge are awesome, and it genuinely made me well up when I saw your solidarity fudge post. This thread and the people in it are just the best.

This. Y'all are good eggs.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Oh my!
George Takei started this thing on Twitter

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/1311791729767526400?s=20

And people have responded positively: the #proudboys has been reclaimed

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 4, 2020

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

OwlFancier posted:

It isn't to me, new atheism was garbo, pivoted right into islamphobia antifeminism and basically every other kind of reactionary horseshit imaginable at the drop of a hat. Because it's not rational, it's 100% about feeling like you're the biggest brain in the room regardless of mitigating evidence, combined with people who think atheism is a personality.

Or in a word/name 'Thunderf00t'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A couple of days ago I was watching a youtube video about solvated electrons, because they're cool as hell and in some forms a useful but dangerous reagent.

It turned out it was him, and he's actually been doing some useful science and contributing to the sum total of human knowledge rather than trying to subtract from it by misunderstanding feminism and reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXpLAB5219A

Didn't bother checking any of his other stuff though so maybe that's all still trash.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh my!
George Takei started this thing on Twitter

https://twitter.com/GeorgeTakei/status/1311791729767526400?s=20

And people have responded positively: the #proudboys has been reclaimed

I did initially think that the proud boys were a gay thing, I knew they were a right wing thing but I thought it was supposed to be like a milo fanclub? Like right wing gay dudes or something.

But no apparently they're just regular nazis lol.

SpicePro posted:

Or in a word/name 'Thunderf00t'.

Isn't he actually one of the less stupid ones now? Like still a wanker but not on the level of carlgon.

E:

Guavanaut posted:

A couple of days ago I was watching a youtube video about solvated electrons, because they're cool as hell and in some forms a useful but dangerous reagent.

It turned out it was him, and he's actually been doing some useful science and contributing to the sum total of human knowledge rather than trying to subtract from it by misunderstanding feminism and reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXpLAB5219A

Didn't bother checking any of his other stuff though so maybe that's all still trash.

Yeah that was my understanding too, like he actually has been doing a couple of actually useful informational videos in between his deranged right wing poo poo which is a low bar but still one that most of that lot can't clear.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Yeah that's how I heard of Thunderf00t originally a few years ago because he does have some really interesting and good videos but then I found out he enjoys abusing women online because they are feminists and also explaining how racism in Hollywood 'doesn't exist' or something and then the turbo-I'm-really-smart Athiesm.

I guess you can get really good at a science and then you extrapolate from that you're correct about everything else and in what you do? :shrug:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I did initially think that the proud boys were a gay thing, I knew they were a right wing thing but I thought it was supposed to be like a milo fanclub? Like right wing gay dudes or something.

But no apparently they're just regular nazis lol.
A friend of mine who's gay reckons that a good proportion of them are deeply repressed with their own sexuality and it comes out in unhealthy ways such as sending bizarre unsolicited sexually explicit messages to out gay men.

It fits in with their leader shoving a dildo up his rear end live on air to own the LGBTs.

SpicePro posted:

Yeah that's how I heard of Thunderf00t originally a few years ago because he does have some really interesting and good videos but then I found out he enjoys abusing women online because they are feminists and also explaining how racism in Hollywood 'doesn't exist' or something and then the turbo-I'm-really-smart Athiesm.

I guess you can get really good at a science and then you extrapolate from that you're correct about everything else and in what you do? :shrug:
Keep doubling down, I guess.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

Eh? I wasn't suggesting there aren't worse people though was I? Lol.

Edit: Apologies Guavanaut, I took that completely the wrong way :)

TRIXNET fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 4, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
No, I'm saying that Watson is also a person who is lovely about women and race but is also really good at a particular science, and that's what he does whenever he's confronted with his lovely opinions.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

A friend of mine who's gay reckons that a good proportion of them are deeply repressed with their own sexuality and it comes out in unhealthy ways such as sending bizarre unsolicited sexually explicit messages to out gay men.

It fits in with their leader shoving a dildo up his rear end live on air to own the LGBTs.

Look they're just a club, one that has initiations involving lots of straight guys tickling each other, and that forbids talking to women, and only allows masturbation once a month, I've no idea where the idea it's full of people with incredibly hosed up repressed sexuality comes from.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look they're just a club, one that has initiations involving lots of straight guys tickling each other, and that forbids talking to women, and only allows masturbation once a month, I've no idea where the idea it's full of people with incredibly hosed up repressed sexuality comes from.

If you can think of a better way to charge the massive JO Crystal that powers their secret clubhouse I'd like to hear it

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahMFIbf32Xo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8wiuYTdCzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPABaFF1pD0

Tickling? You mean manly punching. Because they are men. Who shout breakfast cereals while being punched. Like men.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahMFIbf32Xo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8wiuYTdCzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPABaFF1pD0

Tickling? You mean manly punching. Because they are men. Who shout breakfast cereals while being punched. Like men.

The punching came in later as a replacement for the tickling. Apparently the "naming cereals while being tickled" thing comes from the fraternity that McInnes was in at college, college fraternities also being famous for not being seething hotbeds of repressed sexuality.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

just naming cereals with the boys

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

OwlFancier posted:

Yes I did notice a marked step back in the CGI but I figured that was in part the transition to more total CGI and less real sets with like, CGI matte paintings.

The Mandalorian has this amazing Making of set of documentaries on Disney Plus. They talk about how they made it with this new technology they call the View.

Basically they built this giant domed set which is made up of TV screens. They use the screens to broadcast the backgrounds (like space or an alien planet.) instead of using Green Screens.

It not only looks amazing in the show, it looks amazing even in the behind the scenes footage. It’s real Holodeck type stuff. It also means they can reconfigure sets really quickly and it improves the light that shines on actors.

That stuff is going to be the future of film making because they point out in the show, it’s not proprietary technology. Anyone can build one of these things and the software it runs on is just Unreal Engine.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

just naming cereals with the boys

I thought they were anti-Meuslim?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I get a little uneasy when I think about how close I came to falling into the alt-right weirdo scene, being a recovering edgelord 16 year old libertarian new atheist who thought maddox was the funniest guy on the planet. I used to say some pretty awful things 'ironically' and thank god I went far left instead. At the time I genuinely did have my tongue firmly in my cheek but looking back the gimmick wasn't even very funny, and a lot of the people doing it weren't trying to be. Scary stuff honestly.

I do feel like there was an early period where new atheism did have a genuinely liberatory, iconoclastic quality, and flawed as books like the god delusion are they do seem to express genuine solidarity to those living under religious oppression, and are easily as critical of Christianity as they are Islam etc. However weird he went down the line, I don't remember Dawkins' early stuff having the same racist dog whistles as later new atheist writing.

I agree that the whole new athiesm scene was defined by a reductionist rationalism that wasn't particularly great, and I think one of the reasons I ended up distancing myself was this creeping realisation that it was a mostly a lot of weirdos cosplaying smart guys despite being almost wilfully dumb. You can see how that morphed into alt-right gender essentialism and race realism, and I am forever relieved that I wised up and jumped ship before all that poo poo became way more explicit.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Am I too early for War Christmas?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Saw my neighbour wearing a poppy yesterday so it's officially open as far as I'm concerned.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

ThomasPaine posted:

I get a little uneasy when I think about how close I came to falling into the alt-right weirdo scene, being a recovering edgelord 16 year old libertarian new atheist who thought maddox was the funniest guy on the planet. I used to say some pretty awful things 'ironically' and thank god I went far left instead. At the time I genuinely did have my tongue firmly in my cheek but looking back the gimmick wasn't even very funny, and a lot of the people doing it weren't trying to be. Scary stuff honestly.

I do feel like there was an early period where new atheism did have a genuinely liberatory, iconoclastic quality, and flawed as books like the god delusion are they do seem to express genuine solidarity to those living under religious oppression, and are easily as critical of Christianity as they are Islam etc. However weird he went down the line, I don't remember Dawkins' early stuff having the same racist dog whistles as later new atheist writing.

I agree that the whole new athiesm scene was defined by a reductionist rationalism that wasn't particularly great, and I think one of the reasons I ended up distancing myself was this creeping realisation that it was a mostly a lot of weirdos cosplaying smart guys despite being almost wilfully dumb. You can see how that morphed into alt-right gender essentialism and race realism, and I am forever relieved that I wised up and jumped ship before all that poo poo became way more explicit.

I think about this now and then, if I'd been born a decade later would I have ended up getting coaxed into being some alt-right dweeb. I remember taking some online quiz when I was 13 to see what political background I was and it came up as 'libertarian', but after researching what that was and imagining a country run in that way, it didn't sit right with me.

A lot of my early days on the internet was spent trolling, though looking back, other trolls were definitely very right wing - all the racism and ableism and misogyny, Nazi imagery, anti-Middle East sentiment especially post-2001. I never really thought that was funny and struck me as being more offensive than just making fun of someone because they posted an actual photo of themselves on the internet back in the day.

I don't know, I think we maybe do ourselves an injustice really - I never really went along with transphobia or racism as a child, so why would I if I was born at a different time? I've not always had the correct perspective on things, and still have a way to go, but being a fascist poo poo head never struck me as something I was into. The main thing I struggled with as a teenage virgin was understanding women, but there was an Ask/Tell thread on these forums about what it was like being a woman that changed my perspective massively and helped me a bunch.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I hope all are well. Our president is not.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lmao did trump really get a snake oil salesman to treat him for Covid? That rules pure mad emperor rubbing arsenic into his sores levels of late stage empire boy.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Today's Covid figures are going to be massive again today, but the mess has been confirmed to be really significant and is likely to blow up into a big political issue.

https://twitter.com/susiechinchilla/status/1312792630657458177

These cases they are finding are all the testing sites in England that aren't run by the NHS. Seems the data for them has been going in to a blackhole since the the 24th and hasn't been feeding into any of the systems. Its likely to be the big story for the next few days.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
bum the pooppy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

crispix posted:

bum the pooppy

what’s :420: but for heroin

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

crispix posted:

bum the pooppy

it's polite to shower first :mad:

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
Do you think Peston is aware that his wallet is constantly being checked over by the Wallet Inspector and he's happy to play along, or is he actually that dim?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pencils R Cool posted:

Do you think Peston is aware that his wallet is constantly being checked over by the Wallet Inspector and he's happy to play along, or is he actually that dim?

he's PR for the office of wallet inspectors. to him, wallet inspecting is good

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Does Robert Peston know that David Tennant done up as a nonce for that ITV serial killer drama looks identical to him

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

bump_fn posted:

The biggest red flag imo was that they were >95% male. There was some rumbling islamaphobia I put down to post-911 craziness, but things didn't go to poo poo until Skepchick released a video saying that you shouldn't proposition people you don't know after trapping them in an elevator alone with you. The shitstorm from protoChuds insisting that that was fine, actually, permanently birthed the modern split of Skeptics :science: and "Skeptics" :smuggo:

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
This seems cool and good

https://twitter.com/bencsmoke/status/1312720494546870272?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

that is mad

you'd be certain kier would want to whip for that

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Could someone more knowledgeable about parliamentary procedure than me PLEASE explain the logic of 'abstaining' rather than 'voting against'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Could someone more knowledgeable about parliamentary procedure than me PLEASE explain the logic of 'abstaining' rather than 'voting against'?

The logic is either "we must show good faith by not voting against it because that would be rude" or "we actually want it to pass but are too cowardly to vote for it" depending on how cynical you want to be.

There is no material benefit to doing it whatsoever.