Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

STAC Goat posted:

Saying "ban intergender wrestling" or "ban underage training" are "solutions" to "a ton of the people in wrestling are predators and its an open secret that no one does anything about" feels like saying "the army is filled with rapists so lets stop making women soldiers" or "the cops are racist so lets give them a wide berth" or something.

Its not a solution. Its not an address to what's wrong. Its at best an attempt to work around the problem by putting the onus on the would be victims to make sacrifices and compromises.
Exactly. Should wrestling schools stop taking minors in, anyway? Yeah, pretty much. Does the drinking culture need to change on UK indies? Sure, seems that way. Would making any of these changes make a major dent in the degree to which women in wrestling are preyed upon? Absolutely loving not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/BigTaffMan/status/1312206797919285250?s=19

britwres. britwres never changes.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is it really any surprise that not everybody is devoted to straightening out and flying right in the wake of all this? If your moral compass is broken there's nothing in the world better than being able to treat people the way you want to treat them. Being told you can't do that anymore? Horrifying.

"I don't want to cure cancer. I want to make dinosaurs marginalize and abuse women."

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

davidbix posted:

Exactly. Should wrestling schools stop taking minors in, anyway? Yeah, pretty much. Does the drinking culture need to change on UK indies? Sure, seems that way. Would making any of these changes make a major dent in the degree to which women in wrestling are preyed upon? Absolutely loving not.

Martial Arts schools train children and no one bats an eyelid. Gymnastic schools (which had and still has its own issues) still train children. Dance schools train children. Rugby teams, football teams cricket teams etc have multiple age groups. Wrestling schools shouldn't be any different but if they do train children then they need to be subject to the same rules around safeguarding the vulnerable as every one else.

The issue is that like a lot of places, *cough* gymnastics *cough*, the lack of oversight and protections has allowed predators to do their thing under cover. Hell a lot of the low key misogyny problems with BritWres are nearly identical to places like sales departments because people in power have turned a blind eye because of money.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Wrestling is dismissed as carny bullshit. Nobody wants to bother overseeing it.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

Wait, are we saying they can’t be friends with their friend? He’s lost his career, do we want him to lose everything?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

superLINUS posted:

Wait, are we saying they can’t be friends with their friend? He’s lost his career, do we want him to lose everything?

Yeah

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

superLINUS posted:

If my friend fucks a 17 year old, I’m probably not going to be friends with them any more.

But also, like, social media is a public thing and these folks are public figures. Even if they’re still friends with Banks, they need to be aware of the consequences of being seen as publicly supporting him.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

superLINUS posted:

Yes.

And we're also saying that if your friend "dated" a 17-year-old and emotionally abused her on top of that, and you remain friends with him, you are a piece of poo poo and should probably also lose everything.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

superLINUS posted:

If you still have empathy for monsters in 2020 I don't know what to even tell you except something might be wrong with you. Unless you're not an American then I still get it I guess.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

Vince MechMahon posted:

If you still have empathy for monsters in 2020 I don't know what to even tell you except something might be wrong with you. Unless you're not an American then I still get it I guess.

I've got no dog in this fight, they all shat the bed when they went to work for WWE. If you take money from a monster - or give money to one by watching it - then you're as good as dead.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Martial Arts schools train children and no one bats an eyelid. Gymnastic schools (which had and still has its own issues) still train children. Dance schools train children. Rugby teams, football teams cricket teams etc have multiple age groups. Wrestling schools shouldn't be any different but if they do train children then they need to be subject to the same rules around safeguarding the vulnerable as every one else.

The issue is that like a lot of places, *cough* gymnastics *cough*, the lack of oversight and protections has allowed predators to do their thing under cover. Hell a lot of the low key misogyny problems with BritWres are nearly identical to places like sales departments because people in power have turned a blind eye because of money.

Like 75% of those should be banned for children.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

cricket should be banned for everyone tbh

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Foxtrot_13 posted:

"A lot of places are poo poo, so there's no point trying to clean up any of it" is an interesting take I haven't heard from this forum before.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I read Foxtrot as saying it needs more regulations on how minors are trained and enforcement that isn't tossed out for profit.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

Aphrodite posted:

Like 75% of those should be banned for children.

Why?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Because people can’t stop touching them, I guess.

It’s loving ridiculous that nobody apparently has any solutions other than basically rehashing “maybe she shouldn’t have been dressed like that” for any given scenario because suggesting that people should stop loving abusing kids/men/women/vulnerable people/whoever and be dissuaded from doing so with appropriate punishments is some kind of impossible ask.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/MrCaptJack/status/1312836051526770688?s=20

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Senerio posted:

"A lot of places are poo poo, so there's no point trying to clean up any of it" is an interesting take I haven't heard from this forum before.

I said that wrestling training should be subject to the same policies, procedures and laws (Safeguarding in British legal terminology) that any other persons or organisations that work with children and vulnerable adults have to. Just because training is done in peoples garages and other back of the way places doesn't make it any different from say martial arts, dance, aerobics or other physical tasks.

These are rules that everyone, including myself with the job I do, has to follow with the likes of background checks (Disclosure and Baring Service done on an annual or bi-annual ), reporting guidelines and education on what you have to do. If I suspect some one at work might be abusing a vulnerable person I have to report it not just to management but to the police and social services. If I don't and a person was abused it will be recorded by the DBS and I would not be able to work with children or vulnerable people again.

I was using the gymnastics community as a recent example of the system not working as it should and people suffering from physical and mental abuse. This is a wider problem with society with predators not being challenged and looking for places that fall between the cracks. We need to make sure that we improve these procedures every year to protect more people when the cracks are found.

Millie McKenzie is a very good example of why the Sexual Offenses Act of 2000 introduced the offense of "Abuse of Trust". Even when a person is above the age of consent (like Millie was when the "relationship" was started as the AoC is 16) it is still an offense for a person in a position of authority to have even a consensual relationship with them. While this was written with the intention of applying to teachers, social workers and care home workers it also applies to "trainers" as well and Banks could very well be guilty of this with a loose interpretation of the law. Abuse of Trust is much easier to prosecute as it isn't a matter of he said she said like coercion making the relationship non-consensual, it is a matter of fact that she was under 18 and he was in a position of trust.

If McKenzie is telling the truth, and I do believe her, then Banks should be brought to trial to see if sports trainers are covered and if they are not then the law needs to be changed. I am personally in that grey area of maybe I am a "Trusted Person" but I am treating myself as if I am because I am not a loving predator.

McKenzie did nothing wrong, neither did any one else who was abused. The blame should fall exclusively on the shoulders of the abusers and those who enabled the abusers and the fact that there is any doubt about it shows how rotten our society is.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Foxtrot_13 posted:

A key difference is that youth sports are strictly segregrated by gender and age group. You don't see 16-year-old girls playing soccer with 35-year-old dudes, and then expected to share a locker room with them afterwards, and then pressured to go drinking at the after party, etc. etc.

Again, this all ties back into the utter lack of regulation that lets bad actors run rampant.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Benne posted:

A key difference is that youth sports are strictly segregrated by gender and age group. You don't see 16-year-old girls playing soccer with 35-year-old dudes, and then expected to share a locker room with them afterwards, and then pressured to go drinking at the after party, etc. etc.

Again, this all ties back into the utter lack of regulation that lets bad actors run rampant.

I mean, that's still something that should be addressed by better regulation and culture shifts, not by doing a blanket ban on underaged training or whatever. Even with segregation you have bad actors, like with gymnastics.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All of them cause lifelong injury in a significant number of their participants.

Most should be banned for adults too.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
you do realise you're posting in the sports forum, right

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

I think this goes pretty far aside from the intention of this thread, but I definitely think this forum exemplifies not dismisses the fact people should have far greater education about sports and athletics re: CTE / other long term injuries in their youth. If anything this thread further extends the point, though.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

e: I'm staying out of this

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm a land of contrasts.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spiderdrake posted:

I think this goes pretty far aside from the intention of this thread, but I definitely think this forum exemplifies not dismisses the fact people should have far greater education about sports and athletics re: CTE / other long term injuries in their youth. If anything this thread further extends the point, though.

education about CTE is a good thing, but claiming that all sports cause serious CTE in significant numbers of people is not education

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tennis, as dangerous as American football apparently

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
In other Joey Ryan news, he's now uploading all sorts of poo poo he doesn't own to his monetized YouTube channel along with the stuff he DOES own:
https://twitter.com/WrestlePrestige/status/1312847981524049920
https://twitter.com/WrestlePrestige/status/1312852907809619968
https://twitter.com/WrestlePrestige/status/1312873130080133121

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rarity posted:

Tennis, as dangerous as American football apparently

don't forget all the serious brain damage suffered by *checks notes* gymnasts

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 4, 2020

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

All of them cause lifelong injury in a significant number of their participants.

Most should be banned for adults too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkN8V2Xogsw

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Last I checked Cheerleading was still a massive insurance scam too

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If yall are still taking about 90% of Aphro's posts seriously then that's on you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Julio Cruz posted:

don't forget all the serious brain damage suffered by *checks notes* gymnasts

I mean, it fucks up articulations all around the body. But that's all sports, really.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gymnasts do get a lot of concussions.

Want to know what sport is believed to have the highest rate of concussions? It's synchronized swimming.

Stop putting children in contact and high impact sports.

Anyway Joey Ryan sucks rear end.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Everyone knows exercise is bad for you, that's why I sit on my rear end all day. Putting children in physical activities is tantamount to child abuse.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Everyone knows exercise is bad for you, that's why I sit on my rear end all day. Putting children in physical activities is tantamount to child abuse.
That's not what people are saying but there's both extremes on display ITT. Don't punish people/kids because adults can't bother to control themselves. Some sports are extremely exploitative and unsafe for children, yeah that can be true but if a kid really wants to do gymnastics it should be made safer for them to do it (Both physically and protection from parents forcing kids/predators) rather than just outright banning sports.

Paige is a cautionary tale that the right person in the wrong environment can totally gently caress you professionally, physically, and personally. Paige grew up in a rough environment, and while she got catapulted into the WWE spotlight, was still manipulated and became miserable because of the company she was signed to and people around her through her early 20's. Her career was basically over before she was in her mid 20's for a bunch of different reasons, stemming from the WWE schedule, working unsafe matches, being around toxic people, et all.

Meanwhile, Riho was trained by Emi Sakura and spent most of her childhood and teenage years doing light-gymnastic style matches in fairly safe environments and I don't think she's really had any significant injuries to date or been exposed to awful work conditions.

These are two extremes in the scale of women's wrestlers who started at young ages, but Riho's success should show that good training and a safe environment in any sport is completely possible, and it usually isn't the children/teens that are loving things; it's adults. Don't punish people because Adults can't loving control themselves, punish the adults that are letting/forcing this kind of thing to happen.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it is a privileged stance not to recognize all of the reasons that youth sports (and particularly martial arts which are much safer than things like football) are helpful along with the reasons why they are harmful. i will edit this to explain the statement. take playing basketball for free or going to taekwondo lessons, a positive experience among a bunch of other kids and a certified adult who is helping them improve physically and mentally; the alternative to these things is not the same for every child. the discussion should be focused on adults doing horrible things in my opinion. or at least stick to pro wrestling about it. bless you

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 5, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The discussion of kids in other sports isn't the purpose of this thread, which should stay on topic around the issues of sexual abuse, exploitation, cover-ups etc in pro-wrestling. Particularly with a piece of poo poo like Joey Ryan actively trying to push his way back into the wrestling scene and silence or intimidate his accusers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

hunnert car pileup posted:

cricket should be banned for everyone tbh

How dare you!

Pro Wrestling would be infinitely better if every match had tea breaks.