Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
In my head the idea of "three Jokers" felt like it had the potential to be really uncanny and strange in an interesting way-- like have that hyper-realistic Jason Fabok look for Batman and Gotham and Barbara and whoever else, but like, a thick-lined, cartoony Mark Hamill Joker, that really pallid and mask-like classic Bob Kane Joker, big bright manic Silver Age Joker, etc.. Instead we have three interchangeable clowns drawn in the most boring and anodyne style possible doing indistinguishable murder poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

In my head the idea of "three Jokers" felt like it had the potential to be really uncanny and strange in an interesting way-- like have that hyper-realistic Jason Fabok look for Batman and Gotham and Barbara and whoever else, but like, a thick-lined, cartoony Mark Hamill Joker, that really pallid and mask-like classic Bob Kane Joker, big bright manic Silver Age Joker, etc.. Instead we have three interchangeable clowns drawn in the most boring and anodyne style possible doing indistinguishable murder poo poo.

That is legit such a better idea.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

nemesis_hub posted:

That is legit such a better idea.

I would read that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The 3 Jokers represent the main eras of the character:

• Golden age
  • Early 1988
  • Late 1988

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The 3 Jokers represent the main eras of the character:

• Golden age
  • Early 1988
  • Late 1988

LOL, yeah.

I wonder what it is about comics that the characters explode into so many different versions of themselves. Is it just the longevity of the characters? Like, it seems way more common in DC than Marvel--there's not 5 different distinct versions of Storm (other than costume changes), you know?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Crisis. Marvel doesn’t dump years of character history into an alternate universe, and start over.

I’ve been dying for an 80’s Marvel Universe though. Where Storm still has a mohawk, Rhodey is Iron Man, and Spider-Man is in his black costume.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Crisis. Marvel doesn’t dump years of character history into an alternate universe, and start over.

I’ve been dying for an 80’s Marvel Universe though. Where Storm still has a mohawk, Rhodey is Iron Man, and Spider-Man is in his black costume.

I bet Storm gets a mohawk again in the next couple years.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Speaking of old costumes, I wonder when they decided to default back to Rogue's original one. I know she's had it for ages at this point but it's never been really visually interesting.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Speaking of old costumes, I wonder when they decided to default back to Rogue's original one. I know she's had it for ages at this point but it's never been really visually interesting.

The green and white? Looking at Unlimited she was in the green and yellow with the bomber jacket when Milligan was writing Adjectiveless, then was in the green and white, no jacket when Mike Carey took over.

Edit:meant to put in dates, Carey's first issue is dated July 12 2006.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 4, 2020

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Rogue in the 80s has never been topped.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Was the whole Rogue as villain and stealing Ms Marvel's powers happen chronologically in the comics or was that in flashback?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kingtheninja posted:

Rogue in the 80s has never been topped.

id bet she lets storm top her

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

A Strange Aeon posted:

Was the whole Rogue as villain and stealing Ms Marvel's powers happen chronologically in the comics or was that in flashback?

I think that happened in an avengers annual?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I think that happened in an avengers annual?

Yeah, it was part of Claremont retconning that Avengers story.

She's not a villain for very long though. I believe she was introduced in that annual and joined the x-men within like 3 years. Overall Gambit has probably spent more time as an X-villain.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Open Marriage Night posted:

Reminds me of this blog where this guy came up with what was essentially a reversed version of the Sliding Timeline that Marvel uses; basically instead of how Sliding Time works where the starting point of "Modern" Marvel that is "Origin of The Fantastic Four" always gets dragged forward so that it's always in a nebulous "10 to 20 years ago" period, in this concept instead the timeline is anchored at the events of Fantastic Four #1 happening in late 1961, and the rest of the timeline that follows(he has a cutoff point sometime in the early 90's of what he considers the original Marvel Timeline) is compressed and altered to fit closer to that date, thus the comics that were published over an approximately 30 years period in the real world would cover in universe an approximately 15 year period, with the comics happening in the late 80's to early 90's that is his cutoff would be happening around 1975 to 1976 in his version of the Marvel universe

Of course this approach does have some minor issues of it's own, the main one being that much like how in a standard Sliding Timeline you have to adjust things in flashbacks to fit the present day(replace President Kennedy with Bush or Obama), in the Reverse version you have to adjust later comics to line up with their new place in the timeline(replace George HW Bush with Gerald Ford for example), which admittedly is a bit more work than the standard method

Astro City essentially uses this method but since they did that from the very beginning rather than as a retcon or fan concept it manages to avoid basically all of the mess I mentioned above

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh poo poo, it hadnt even occurred to me that by now Ben Grimm must've been in a test pilot in the War in Afghanistan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

oh poo poo, it hadnt even occurred to me that by now Ben Grimm must've been in a test pilot in the War in Afghanistan.

Mark Waid invented a fake forever war in a fake Asian country that's a stand-in for both WW2 and Vietnam for characters where that's relevant. It's now canon.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Skwirl posted:

Mark Waid invented a fake forever war in a fake Asian country that's a stand-in for both WW2 and Vietnam for characters where that's relevant. It's now canon.

That is absolute cowardice.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That is absolute cowardice.

Yeah, it's loving horrible.

Edit: I do like that Marvel did this poo poo in a miniseries no one needs to actually read instead of like an infinite crisis event that fucks up the publishing of every single book.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 4, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
DC been using Qurac as a middle east stand in since the late 80s.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 5, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
tbf since that was a heavily sourced ""canon"" history of the universe i dont think you can lay the blame for that solely at waids feet

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Also Siancong has existed for a long time as they had retconned Iron Man's origins out of Vietnam decades ago, they just decided to expand it to cover all the other Korean War and Vietnam War veterans(and some of the Silver Age WWII vets like Reed Richards and Ben Grimm) cause it makes that aspect of the sliding timeline way less of a headache

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

fuckin hell, why not just go ahead and call it "The Mysterious Orient"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Also Siancong has existed for a long time as they had retconned Iron Man's origins out of Vietnam decades ago, they just decided to expand it to cover all the other Korean War and Vietnam War veterans(and some of the Silver Age WWII vets like Reed Richards and Ben Grimm) cause it makes that aspect of the sliding timeline way less of a headache

Like 90% of the continuity it "fixed" didn't need any fixing. Just don't mention it beyond vague allusions to being in the military. There's not a Punisher (or Iron-Man, or Reed Richards) story that was brilliant when it mentioned the specific real life war they were originally part of, became impossible to tell because of the sliding timeline, and is now brilliant again because there's a concrete fictional country where they were trying to stop The Mandarin from using his ten magic rings where we can set that poo poo.

Also mashing together WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Both Iraq Wars and Afghanistan into one thing is insulting to veterans of all of those.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Like 90% of the continuity it "fixed" didn't need any fixing. Just don't mention it beyond vague allusions to being in the military. There's not a Punisher (or Iron-Man, or Reed Richards) story that was brilliant when it mentioned the specific real life war they were originally part of, became impossible to tell because of the sliding timeline, and is now brilliant again because there's a concrete fictional country where they were trying to stop The Mandarin from using his ten magic rings where we can set that poo poo.

Also mashing together WW2, Korea, Vietnam, Both Iraq Wars and Afghanistan into one thing is insulting to veterans of all of those.

I tbink we're standing on opposite sides here because I find "don't mention it beyond vague allusions" to be a way worse way of handling continuity issues than doing a retcon

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

I tbink we're standing on opposite sides here because I find "don't mention it beyond vague allusions" to be a way worse way of handling continuity issues than doing a retcon

Most stories involving the characters this directly affects don't reference their time fighting in whatever war and don't need to.

A story revolving around Reed Richards fighting in Siancong to stop The Mandarin is both a completely different story than what the Fantastic Four has been about for most of their history and a completely different story than about his very earliest incarnation where he was a WW2 vet.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

DVD been using Qurac as a middle east stand in since the late 80s.

And yet Iran was the one that made the Joker a UN ambassador.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
True. Qurac was used as a 'the terrorists come from there" country in a few Superman and Suicide Squad stories. I think Cheshire later blew up the entire country

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Bialya was DC's go-to for "sounds middle eastern" for a while there

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Better to use a fake country for that kind of thing than a real one most of the time

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
The one exception to all that is Magneto, who has to be a Holocaust survivor because that was a thankfully unique event in human history and he loses a fuckton of resonance without it, so if that means he's 100+ years old then gently caress you, that's how old he is, he got de-aged or something, shut up.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

She's not a villain for very long though. I believe she was introduced in that annual and joined the x-men within like 3 years. Overall Gambit has probably spent more time as an X-villain.
It depends on what sort of timeline you're using.

Rogue was introduced explicitly as an antagonist and part of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in Avengers Annual #11, released in August 1981. She appears a few more times as a Brotherhood member in various books, and quits the Brotherhood in X-Men #170 (March 1983) and joins the X-Men a month later (Uncanny X-Men #171, April 1983). So she's a villain for a little under two years, and maybe half a dozen appearances.

Gambit debuts in Uncanny X-Men #266 (June 1990) but is revealed years later (Uncanny X-Men #350, October 1997) to have been part of the Marauders/Mutant Massacre (Summer/Fall 1986) and banished from the team.

So technically (off-panel) Gambit was a bad guy for like four years. And he was banished from the X-Men when this was revealed, but he rejoined the team in UXM #361 (November 1998). So he was technically an X-Villain for either four years behind the scenes, or just under a year before they made amends.

Like a lot of "reformed" characters, they barely had a footprint in comics prior to their 'redemption', which is probably why some of them stick and others don't; Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, and Black Widow all had single digit number of appearances before they joined the Avengers, where someone like Sandman had several dozen before joining the Avengers. It's no wonder that inertia sent him (and countless others) back to Being Evil As Heck.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

CapnAndy posted:

The one exception to all that is Magneto, who has to be a Holocaust survivor because that was a thankfully unique event in human history and he
He can't be Rwandan? Or a Uighur?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

is that a serious real question

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

The one exception to all that is Magneto, who has to be a Holocaust survivor because that was a thankfully unique event in human history and he loses a fuckton of resonance without it, so if that means he's 100+ years old then gently caress you, that's how old he is, he got de-aged or something, shut up.

Not only has he been de aged at least once, but it probably wouldn't be hard to jam in somewhere in his history between Concentration Camp and meeting Charles Xavier something like him ending up in cryogenic slumber for a couple decades or something similar to take care of that awkward time gap

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Or he has a slowed aiging process as a secondary mutation.

Boom done little retconning required.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
His magnetic powers are pretty freaking magical anyway (why did they ever get rid of his ability to hypnotise people due to his magnetic personality anyway) so they could just say he was slowing down the process of aging by reversing the flow of the iron in his blood or some such bullshit. But sure, turn him into a baby or clone him or whatever.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Madkal posted:

His magnetic powers are pretty freaking magical anyway (why did they ever get rid of his ability to hypnotise people due to his magnetic personality anyway) so they could just say he was slowing down the process of aging by reversing the flow of the iron in his blood or some such bullshit. But sure, turn him into a baby or clone him or whatever.

All the X-Men are clones now.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

FilthyImp posted:

He can't be Rwandan? Or a Uighur?
Not really, no. He needs that out in the open, legalized, and above all industrial genocide. That's why he freaks out at on-the-surface benign stuff like the mutants just sequestering up apart from everyone else (because oh look it's a ghetto, I know where those lead) and even the X-Men themselves and their distinctive badging (very nice, Charles, I see this time we've saved them the trouble and just sewn the insignia on our chests ourselves), let alone the more obviously bad stuff like the Mutant Registration Act and Sentinels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Not really, no. He needs that out in the open, legalized, and above all industrial genocide. That's why he freaks out at on-the-surface benign stuff like the mutants just sequestering up apart from everyone else (because oh look it's a ghetto, I know where those lead) and even the X-Men themselves and their distinctive badging (very nice, Charles, I see this time we've saved them the trouble and just sewn the insignia on our chests ourselves), let alone the more obviously bad stuff like the Mutant Registration Act and Sentinels.

It also needs to be a genocide Americans fought a war to stop. (Yes I know that's not why we fought in WW2, but we still fought)