Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I think it was Getaway yeah
Thanks all!

Nuclear Throne has such a good good ost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

haveblue posted:

They actually put in that line specifically to head off questions as to why you can't pet all 3 heads individually (because the real answer is that it would have been a lot of work).

Similarly, Zagreus has no "sitting" animation, so any time you add a chair to the hub area he'll comment on how he'll never sit on it anyway.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Finally getting back into playing Final Fantasy VIII for the first time after getting distracted by other games.

Anyone who thinks games need voice acting to be good at storytelling just needs to see how FFVIII can use only dialog boxes and PS1-era stock animations to sell painfully awkward silences.

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

darkwasthenight posted:

Far Cry Primal was well ahead of the trend allowing you to pet all the tamed animals (or be affectionately mauled by the Honey Badger).

All animals rated by ability to pet them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-YQrbn-JQ

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Quantitatively better in terms of cats and bears, but still an unfortunate lack of airdrops

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A thematic thing that I liked in Dragon Quest Builders' final chapter (the first game): Something I liked was is that it completely reversed the formula of the game - before you took what you needed from the land and mined for minerals, and built up a town which gave you more opportunities to get stronger. The final area is totally dead though, so you have to use your resources to bring it back to life with holy water, the minerals have mostly been ripped out of the ground and sealed in floating orbs by the Dragon Lord so you have to find ways up to them instead of down, and the banner to secure the town is in a fortress, so you have to get stronger on your own and THEN you can sanctify the town and start building.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

verbal enema posted:

My buddy just mentioned this

What was that one GTA Clone were you could heal by leaning against a wall?

The getaway for ps2.

Content: In Hitman(2016)during the paris level i started on the top floor,immediately killed one of my targets (chandelier accident) and made my way downstairs.

As i get to the second target he’s on the phone receiving news that she just died and he’s already telling them to cover it up and not get the police involved.

Brazilianpeanutwar has a new favorite as of 12:09 on Oct 5, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima, and really like the duels, they are a lot of fun. I also like how the sidequests run the gamut from down to earth war drama, to epic supernatural swordplay. The Yasuhiro Koga fight was awesome

My favorite duel was the one against the fake samurai

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, that was great.

quote:

A Cowardly Man
He lied to Impress women
A foolish gambit

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

In Monster Hunter World, there are Low, High, and Master rank quests. If you're in Master rank, and you help out a Low or High rank hunter with their quest, the game gives you an item that sells for a good amount of extra money. Just a neat touch, the game acknowledging that the other rewards from that quest are probably of little use to you.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Better than just that, it also gives a item that can be turned in for the rare gems and plates you need to advance weapons along the tree, saving you having to farm over and over for them. Shame that doesn't solve some other drops like vaal fangs or xeno horns but its still really good.

I just played through Quern: undying thoughts and man, having a built in screenshot button and a dedicated button to quickly pull the screenshot up really helps with making puzzle solving not tedious.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

In the early stages of Hades, there are traps that can be set off by stepping on pressure plates. There are also columns you can attack that will drop chunks of debris, and the debris will crush enemies if it lands on them.

The little thing? If a column is close to a pressure plate and you make a piece of debris fall on the plate, the trap will go off! I wasn't able to check if the pressure plate stays depressed, though, since the chunk of debris got destroyed in the chaos.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Dreadwroth2 posted:

In Squadrons, yes you can totally get a Gonk bobblehead. GONK

There's a gonk droid in the rebel hanger from time to time, at least in the story mode

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Been trying Hades for a bit these past couple of evenings, what sold me on it was God Mode: starting off with a 20% reduction in damage taken, that goes up by a bit each time you die. Feels like it gives me a good chance to enjoy a genre that I want to like but rarely get to due to difficulty often being an inherent assumption.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've beaten Ghost of Tsushima and really like the narrative throughline of how war affects people, especially in the contrast in the sidequests (heavy sidequest spoilers incoming):

Masoko gets her revenge for her dead family, but over the course of her story she kind of calms down from RAGE MODE to a more subdued, focused kind of attitude (while some of the later characters in her quest like the family man have the dynamic swap completely with her being calm about the situation and JIn being the rage boi which was interesting), leading to a bitter ending where she has her justice, but she has also lost everything in the meantime and has to figure out where she's going to go next now that her revenge is complete - she feels hollow and empty and just kind of lost without her revenge driving her.

Norio starts off generally upbeat compared to the others, trying to live up to his brothers legacy and keep his oaths as a monk while he fights for his home, but after seeing what becomes of his brother towards the end he just snaps and has a major psychotic break, terrifying friend and foe alike, and has to deal with what he just did and how much he kind of enjoyed it, almost quitting being a monk altogether through self-loathing.

Yuna, due to how young she was when the crimes against her were committed, tries to get her justice, but is held back by fear of even going near the worst sources of her trauma due to serious PTSD, but pushes through that to confront her ultimate oppressor, looking him in the eye as she kills him like a samurai would after the whole game fighting in a guerilla way.

Ishikawa starts his quest in a very samurai mindset, unflinching and inflexible, prepared to execute his student for her crimes, constantly getting at Jin for not killing her when he has the chances to, but after talking with her during his final mission and hearing her reasons for her actions, resolves to forgo vengeance and allow Tomoe to escape so she can escape the toxic environment she grew up in and start a better life for herself of the mainland.

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm not sure it's a "little thing" but I just discovered in Hades that there's a toggle button on the left of the buffs in the Mirror ui that lets you swap them for entirely different buffs with their own upgrades. For someone that's beat down my dad twice now after a dozen or two hours, it was a huge shock.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Chumpy posted:

I'm not sure it's a "little thing" but I just discovered in Hades that there's a toggle button on the left of the buffs in the Mirror ui that lets you swap them for entirely different buffs with their own upgrades. For someone that's beat down my dad twice now after a dozen or two hours, it was a huge shock.

Yeah, the game is really bad at telling you about it. I only figured it out because of the associated prophecy/quest.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chumpy posted:

:tipshat::hf::aaa:

I was just about to pay 500 gembux for a moderate heal on resurrection when I could go on another try it two and pay 600 for a stronger heal.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm playing Bayonetta 2, and like the Devil May Cry references during the chapters where you go to hell, like enemies start dropping red, blue and green orbs instead of halos and flowers. It's very cute.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

AC Odyssey: I paid off a huge bounty on myself, and I assumed paying it just reset your guilty-meter to innocent, and like a minute later I run past a mercenary who comments on what a loving rear end in a top hat I am and that it will be a while before people trust even though I am apparently rich. I thought that was pretty neat, that even though I paid off the bounty I was still a huge prick going around killing and robbing.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
https://youtu.be/MHQoQd5UMe0

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've decided to try again with Rogue Galaxy, and got past the first boss. The boss fights seem interesting so far although the mechanics don't work that well on their own - the platform gun is an idea I like, shoot it at the boss and it makes platforms to it's weakpoint, and they exist for long enough that you have multiple attempts to climb it, it's just aiming for them is a bit awkward. Another thing I like is the license-board style progression system because instead of points it's based on items, so you don't need to grind for points for hours, you are encouraged to explore the world seeking out the items instead, with the random encounters filling the exp bar decently quickly so the base level doesn't feel like it's being dragged along.

Also I always like when story aspects don't quite match up with menus, because I find it funny to come up with explanations, like with the Desert Claw's battle recorder - as far as the universe is concerned, you ARE him because the real guy gave you his weapon and recorder, and he's meant to be legendary, but you start off at the bottom of the rankings, only going to 94/100 because of the points from the boss, so it's like "did the Desert Claw beat a boss and just go 'oh, poo poo, I forgot to turn on the battle recorder.... darn...'?" I like to think that's how that happened, unless he's just in the TOP 100 hunters and there are others who didn't make the ranking at all.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'd forgotten how silly the Nevan boss in Devil May Cry 3 was. A slutty vampire that turns into a guitar which Dante rocks out on is so dumb and cool.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

I'd forgotten how silly the Nevan boss in Devil May Cry 3 was. A slutty vampire that turns into a guitar which Dante rocks out on is so dumb and cool.

DMC3 remains my favourite game of the series for how consistently it hits that perfect intersection of incredibly silly and totally awesome.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

DMC3 got me to read Inferno because 11th grade me went "man I wish I got these references better"

Game still kicked rear end though

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

small ghost posted:

DMC3 remains my favourite game of the series for how consistently it hits that perfect intersection of incredibly silly and totally awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlHY6xRpktk

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
DMC4 did a lot wrong, but some of its cutscenes can top even the best of DMC3

For i am here! To RECLAIM! What is rightfully.. mine.

(Also it's a blast to see the actors having fun acting like that)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I’d love a remastered DMC3 in 5s engine yeah

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
DMC3 also has one of my favourite ending credits in any game, ever.

Dante gets a little emotional because he just send his brother to hell, his companion tries to comfort him and we see a single tear. Then the camera zooms out, we see they are surrounded by demons and the credits play over a kick rear end rock song while you get to slaughter them all.

It's corny and awesome, the perfect capstone to a game like that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Biplane posted:

AC Odyssey: I paid off a huge bounty on myself, and I assumed paying it just reset your guilty-meter to innocent, and like a minute later I run past a mercenary who comments on what a loving rear end in a top hat I am and that it will be a while before people trust even though I am apparently rich. I thought that was pretty neat, that even though I paid off the bounty I was still a huge prick going around killing and robbing.
I also like that npcs will get angry if they can't find you. Like, one cult member where cursing and threatening while she looked for me.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Moonbase Alpha uses the Microsoft Sam voice for text to speech, which means it accepts voice modulation commands, and that means singing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNPKXfb3rws

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Necrothatcher posted:

A literal demonic electric guitar that shoots purple lightning and bats has actually been scientifically proven to be the coolest thing that has ever, and will ever, exist.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Doesn't mean it's not also dumb

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
It's also a shame that the Nevan moveset is unwieldy and feels relatively underpowered compared to, eg, Beowulf

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Nevan has one thing she really excels at, which is dealing with archers on Dante Must Die difficulty. Otherwise she's mostly for styling on your opponents, yeah. Not useless but usually there's easier options to use.

Comparing her to Beowulf is unfair though, as that's probably the best weapon in the game.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Literally the exact cutscene I was thinking of when I wrote that comment lmao

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Finally picked up Control myself the other week, got to AWE today.

I got a huge guffaw from the meandering "conversation" Langston has with you over the intercom after you use the elevator from the first Hartman encounter. Fun characterization moment.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

graybook posted:

Finally picked up Control myself the other week, got to AWE today.

I got a huge guffaw from the meandering "conversation" Langston has with you over the intercom after you use the elevator from the first Hartman encounter. Fun characterization moment.

It also provides some really sneaky world building. If you listen close to what he's actually talking about during his rambles, you can piece together that he's the one who wrote the dreaded Tennyson Report that Trench flipped his lid about. At one point he brings up his cat at home being taken care of by the neighbor, which he mentions offhand in the main game a few times. In the DLC Langston says that he named his cat, Alfred, after his favorite poet. The poet being referred to is Alfred Tennyson, whose poem "Tears, Idle Tears" is quoted at the top of the Report.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

TheMostFrench posted:

Moonbase Alpha uses the Microsoft Sam voice for text to speech, which means it accepts voice modulation commands, and that means singing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNPKXfb3rws

Shame about the slurs in the chat on occasion in that video. Bloody gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just started up another playthrough of Breath of the Wild, and I very much enjoyed that essentially the first thing you can do after leaving the opening room is hop around in pain after kicking the very first chest open with your bare foot. What a way to start your legendary heroic quest after sleeping for a century.