Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
Lol at SalteMike looking over the blatant jpeg shilling on twitter and being like:
"Wow, sometimes it's almost like these guys are paid by the company......."

EDIT: Also tane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
..there's sound too

https://i.imgur.com/mvYvxXY.gifv

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
everyone calm down. this is clearly a SPOOKY HALLOWEEN EVENT at HAUNTED PORT OLISAR instead of a gamebreaking bug.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

cmdrk posted:

everyone calm down. this is clearly a SPOOKY HALLOWEEN EVENT at HAUNTED PORT OLISAR instead of a gamebreaking bug.

Nice try buddy. How can this be a Halloween Event if there's no ship sale?

dejapes
Jan 4, 2020
SW Squadrons is pretty fun for what it offers. IMO, Star Wars is pure camp, and Squadrons lets you fly around as a space-themed WWII fighter pilot while voiced characters give stern, totally-serious lines about "Death Stars," "Star Destroyers" and "Starhawks."

Admittedly, having fond memories of a pixelated Admiral Thrawn in the old Tie Fighter makes me the target market for this game. Diverting power and shield facing is pure nostalgia, as is being able to shoot down concussion missiles and trying to avoid turning battles with A-Wings.

Ultimately, Squadrons is a good illustration of focused design. The click-through conversations and hangar segments exist as immersive vehicles of plot, and do what they need to to set up the context for the real game: zipping around space and watching the broken wings of destroyed enemy fighters tumble precariously past your cockpit. It's unabashedly fun Star Wars camp where you get to play a space fighter pilot.

For that, you don't need physicalized elevators or 'bartender AI' or simulated gas pipes.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

I call this piece, "Why everything seems to take so bloody long" posted:

quote:

Just to pre-empt the "Why do we need all this in a space sim?" question/criticism:

We don't - its simply the level of depth and complexity that the game is aiming for. If you want to dogfight in an arena, the new Star Wars Squadron game is good for that. There are indies like Infinity: Battlescape that have epic fleet battles. Dual Universe is going to overlap somewhat with SC too. Elite:Dangerous exists for more 'complete' exploration and progression, and is a fine game in it's own right. Even EVE has some thematic overlap.

But none of those games will ever have the fidelity and immersion that SC is already delivering. I've said this a lot, and I'll say it again - in the 8 years since the Kickstarter, there have been exactly zero competitor titles with the same level of ambition and fidelity as SC. I'd very happily consider alternatives if they existed, but they don't. CIG captured lightning in a bottle, and nobody else with the same of level of resources would do something as ridiculously ambitious as Star Citizen. It's a passion project for Roberts, and if you know anything about him you'll know that this is the game he has been trying to make since he was 16 years old, and he can finally do it without suits breathing down his neck. AAA studios like Activision sure aren't going to spend hundreds of millions on Bobby Kotick's childhood dream when they could just plop out the next Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Director's Cut: Game of the Year: Remastered Edition and make 10x what CIG does in annual revenue for 0.1% of the effort.

Of course we have the right to be pissed off and frustrated and critical about the lengthy development process, but for better or for worse, you can't get an experience like SC anywhere else and it's not looking like that will change in the future. Don't roped into the hype or the whales with their overpriced flying wedge of cheese. Only spend the amount you're comfortable with. Keep your criticism constructive. If you find yourself getting emotionally over-invested and frustrated, it's time to take a break from following SC. Just unsub, and check back a year or so later. The game will still be here.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Why isn't there an arrow between "Eat and Drink" and "Pooping?" :colbert:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

If I were CIG I would ask this guy to stop trying to recruit for them. What a weird thing to do for a company you don't work for.

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure we're the only people that are aware of his tweets. Maybe someone could show them to CIG or something.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Why would you not want some 50 year old creep with a second life avatar and the stupidest username on twitter pleading for people to work for your company?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Pixelate posted:

So citizens are dying constantly in the PTU

The deaths at Port Olisar are a known issue, trapping people there permanently.

https://i.imgur.com/vN0H9je.mp4
(unmute)

https://i.imgur.com/6taHicf.mp4

The rest are a mystery.

Some say it's the sin of running too fast.

They're all fairly dramatic.

https://i.imgur.com/nCRHuqR.mp4

oh no! CIG has COVID!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/listening2day/status/1312898224064090112

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

Mirificus posted:

Of course we have the right to be pissed off and frustrated and critical about the lengthy development process, but for better or for worse, you can't get an experience like SC anywhere else and it's not looking like that will change in the future... If you find yourself getting emotionally over-invested and frustrated, it's time to take a break from following SC. Just unsub, and check back a year or so later.
Even when they're trying to stay positive, citizens admit that this project is a sisyphean hell with no end in sight. Development has been such a shambling, spiralling sludge for so long that the idea of reasonable progress in a realistic timeframe isn't even considered a possibility anymore.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

The "tools" he's referring to is Adobe Substance Designer, a definitely not CIG product and something that is very standard in the visual effects industry. CIG is using it to generate a heightmap, then they probably have a bit of custom code which lets them bring that in and apply it as a displacement map to the in-game terrain.

Look, here it is in Unreal Engine: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Landscape/Custom/index.html

Like holy poo poo how are these people so ignorant of the biggest goddamn thing in their lives? It's like a car enthusiast not knowing that you need gas to run a vehicle or at least that the engine works by burning gas in tiny explosions. What the gently caress is with this mindless consumerism that has infected these people's brains?

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 5, 2020

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

UnknownTarget posted:

The "tools" he's referring to is Adobe Substance Designer, a definitely not CIG product and something that is very standard in the visual effects industry. CIG is using it to generate a heightmap, then they probably have a bit of custom code which lets them bring that in and apply it as a displacement map to the in-game terrain.

Look, here it is in Unreal Engine: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Landscape/Custom/index.html

Like holy poo poo how are these people so ignorant of the biggest goddamn thing in their lives? It's like a car enthusiast not knowing that you need gas to run a vehicle or at least that the engine works by burning gas in tiny explosions. What the gently caress is with this mindless consumerism that has infected these people's brains?

This is the most hilarious thing about Citizers.

They've legit haven't played a video game ever.

Some of them are "in awe" that character models feet are inclined when walking on a slope in 2020. Let that sink in.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
look next time you want complain about development time remember this:

when I make my spaceman pee every six hours or isn't just 'press a button and play a canned animation of pissing.' No. chris freaking roberts wouldn't put his name on that. that's why they're using pseudo-random number generation tech to procedurally generate every. Single. Drop.

no other game maker has this courage and this vision.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
imagine this. you're halfway through your 39 minute qt jump to hurston in your idris. Suddenly you realize that you have to piss. You turn to your science officer and for a second you can't remember if he's an npc or you irl best friend you've known since elementary school. "scotty you have the conn" you say. you walk past marco, who your pretty sure is an npc, lining up a shot on the pool table. you don't interrupt him - he's been a bit grouchy since his pc wife left him and he's had to sleep on hand soljo's foldout sofa bed.

you arrive at the executive head. You line up to the space toilet and watch as your character seamlessly unzips his suit and perfectly aligns with the urinal. Your cock has more polygons than all of the models in skyrim put together. "red 5, going in!" You shout. a little bit splashes on the floor. a new player rushes forward to wipe it up. You smile as you tip him a few credits. maybe he'll have his own idris someday.

just another day in the verse

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 5, 2020

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

UnknownTarget posted:

Like holy poo poo how are these people so ignorant of the biggest goddamn thing in their lives? It's like a car enthusiast not knowing that you need gas to run a vehicle or at least that the engine works by burning gas in tiny explosions.

I think it's more like someone who's driven a car once realizes they just really enjoy huffing gas.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

imagine this. you're halfway through your 39 minute qt jump to hurston in your idris. Suddenly you realize that you have to piss. You turn to your science officer and for a second you can't remember if he's an npc or you irl best friend you've known since elementary school. "scotty you have the conn" you say. you walk past marco, who your pretty sure is an npc, lining up a shot on the pool table. you don't interrupt him - he's been a bit grouchy since his pc wife left him and he's had to sleep on hand soljo's foldout sofa bed.

you arrive at the executive head. You line up to the space toilet and watch as your character seamlessly unzips his suit and perfectly aligns with the urinal. Your cock has more polygons than all of the models in skyrim put together. "red 5, going in!" You shout. a little bit splashes on the floor. a new player rushes forward to wipe it up. You smile as you tip him a few credits. maybe he'll have his own idris someday.

I can't tell if you're a real citizen now or just channeling one.

Chris Roberts is a genius - he created a mental illness, then stole from the people who manifested it. That's some next-level predation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UnknownTarget posted:

Most people have no idea how the sausage is made, much less how the technology in their lives works. Things like cars and computers are just black boxes to most people, just magical devices.

Their ignorance of every aspect of how video games actually work and are made is fundamental to this scam.

But yeah as a rule anything CIG does that looks cool is an off-the-shelf tool they purchased.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 5, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol. That’s basically the fantasy that pops into Citizen’s minds when you point to a real finished and competent space game, and they dribble out something about how Chris is creating a “living and breathing universe” and it’s “more ambitious”.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Back with another trip report / review of Squadrons.

The past weekend I played it extensively both in VR and out, here's why I think Squadrons is a good game.

- Its not Star Citizen.
- It doesn't try to reinvent the wheel.
- Its fun.

VR is insanely immersive.

There are problems like:
- Funny flight physics
- Funny wingman physics.
- Some jank during dogfights.

But once you get used to "drift" and what's that all about, everything will slowly click together and the game stands out on its own with its own personal flavor of "space combat". You will feel like Maverick / Luke Skywalker blowing poo poo up in space and feel very good about it. It's not Elite, nor Star Citizen, its just very very Star Wars and I love it.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
So after all that work making Wonka elevators, they also just teleport some of them because Wonka was a lunatic?

quote:

CIG Chad McKinney@CIG_ChadMcKinney

We've had physicalized elevators for a long time but we actually introduced teleporting variants to solve an issue about not always wanting to build out the areas to support them as they can get very far away from the destinations, with most of it being not very interesting or notable areas along the way (or would take art time to make them notable or interesting, but maybe not the best usage of that art time). As far as when to use the teleporting vs. physical variants? Ultimately that's up to the landing zone teams and I don't want to speak on their behalf for the reason for the current distribution or what it might look like in the future.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
wtf

About Cleaning in-game. (Dirt/Bacteria)

quote:

I was wondering what types of surfaces may be cleanable in-game when the 'cleaning system' is in the game(beta or post release). Specifically I wonder if the cleanable surfaces will have multiple layers of cleaning like visible soil and dirt vs invisible bacteria vs invisible residues or cleaning vs sterilization. Is this tech related to the medical system in many ways? Does that mean that cleaning may be tossed into the game sooner than later just because how integrated its systems are to many other critical things?

quote:

CIG Chad McKinney@CIG_ChadMcKinney

We have dirt and wear shaders that are used to make things look dingy, aged, and beat up which can then be dialed back when restoring areas, a part of a larger system having to do with environmental restoration. Now exactly when/how that will be implemented in a way a player has access to is a different question, at the moment we are more focused on the higher level system first.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I can't believe they're cheating like that, if I wanted fake elevators I might as well play a real game.

They better model bacterial evolution so some strains become resistant to certain cleaning solutions. This could really elevate the cleaning gameplay (which even in its current state is already way better than anything AAA games today have to offer).

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Oct 5, 2020

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Pixelate posted:

So after all that work making Wonka elevators, they also just teleport some of them because Wonka was a lunatic?

What is the loving point of physicalizing some and not all? I mean, if you are going to cheat with some might as well cheat with all of them and save you a ton of useless fidelicious work.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
That planet terrain looks like lettuce to me. Maybe procedural salads are next?

Edit: Now I wonder whether someone already made a map for Cities Skylines based on lettuce.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 5, 2020

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

You unzips his suit and perfectly aligns with the urinal. Your cock has more polygons than all of the models in skyrim put together. "red 5, going in!" You shout. a little bit splashes on the floor.

Stay on target red 5 !! Stay on target !

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

UnknownTarget posted:

There are plenty of people driving cars that have absolutely no clue what sort of magic goes on under the hood. They know you feed the engine gas and it goes vroom and it's a shiny red color. People have their careers, the things they need to pay for living, based entirely on the internet and no idea how it works beyond "I push the iphone button and it goes to the cloud".

While that would account for some of this, I suspect a much larger portion is simply people yelling "WOW MY MIND IS BLOWN" as loud as they can at even a flicker of competence. That faint shred of hope when they see that maybe someone is actually working on the BDSSE is all they have to sustain them. As long as technically the game is going forward then the rest of the coping mechanisms work - the secret working dev build, a sexy bear's ambition, real vs fake, I'm part of something big, etc.

DigitalPenny posted:

Stay on target red 5 !! Stay on target !

That would have inspired a lot more urinal success than when I named my dick Porkins.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 5, 2020

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I have done alot of terrain modelling in my time, this interview as a standalone is an insightful look into terrain molding its really well done, its informative and in-depth yet approachable.

Just because there is no game to play on the beautiful terrain dosent make his procedural lettece bad.

E: I don't mean to say this is super cutting edge stuff but as an artist I thought he knew his craft.

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 5, 2020

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

They better model bacterial evolution so some strains become resistant to certain cleaning solutions. This could really elevate the cleaning gameplay (which even in its current state is already way better than anything AAA games today have to offer).

Diarrhea based gameplay loops are clearly being worked on, seeing as they already have the rear end-attack death animation in the game, so we can naturally conclude that systems for dispersal of procedural diarrhea stains are coming. This will enable the most high stakes cleaning gameplay, as all diarrhea that isn't properly cleaned can infect more players and NPCs.

Here's how I imagine a typical gameplay scenario: In rough encounter with some Vanduul fighters, certain sub-systems in your ship go down from loss of power. After tending to your wounds you fix the cables, then go to grab a snack, but forget to consider that the fridge has been unpowered for a few hours. The delicious Baanu-made pudding you had been saving has gone bad, and you come down with heavy flows of diarrhea just as you are going through security at Teasa spaceport. You run to the nearest doctor's office, but the doctor is on his way out. You plead for him to treat you, but he refuses. His sister has been caught up in the mining strikes on Mars, and he needs to get there stat, lest she run out of her diabetes medication. poo poo is flowing out your pant legs, and you realize you will soon die from dehydration if you aren't treated immediately. You tell him as much, but he won't risk his sisters life to help a stranger, hippocratic oath be damned. You tell him "Sorry doc, but I'm out of options", and let diarrhea flow onto your hands, splashing it onto his face, rubbing your fingers on his gums. "We're in this together now, doc", you say, "you'll die from diarrhea before you ever reach Mars unless you treat yourself right now." The doctor convulses as the microbes start stirring his intestines. "Bastard! Now I'll never help you!" the doctor says, but you stay calm as your diarrhea mixes with his on the floor. You look him in the eye and say "By the time you've treated yourself, there's no time for you to reach Mars before your sister dies of diabetes." He collapses onto his knees, a pool of liquid brown growing around him. "No! What have you done!" he screams. You turn away from him, then look dramatically back over your shoulder. "Unless...". He looks up at you, desperation in his eyes. "Unless what!??". "Unless you help me. With my Drake Herald we can easily get to Mars in time to save your sister. All you have to do is cure my diarrhea along with your own, as you should have done from the beginning if you had any respect for that oath you took." A surge of shame and diarrhea rushes through the doctor. "... my oath ..." he croaks. Crestfallen, he realizes he is out of options. He holds the door to his office open, and as you pass through he looks back at the pool of diarhhea where he was kneeling, saying, "After that puddle is cleaned, I will paint the ground brown, as a monument and reminder of the time I broke my oath, and the time a spaceman in need taught me a lesson I will never forget." You see tears forming in the corner of his eyes, and realize this NPC will be your friend for the rest of his life - perhaps even join your crew - and all because of some spoiled Baanu pudding.

Show me any game other than Star Citizen where emergent gameplay like this is possible.

Greenplastic fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 5, 2020

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Greenplastic posted:

Diarrhea based gameplay loops are clearly being worked on, seeing as they already have the rear end-attack death animation in the game, so we can naturally conclude that systems for dispersal of procedural diarrhea stains are coming. This will enable the most high stakes cleaning gameplay, as all diarrhea that isn't properly cleaned can infect more players and NPCs.

Here's how I imagine a typical gameplay scenario: In rough encounter with some Vanduul fighters, certain sub-systems in your ship go down from loss of power. After tending to your wounds you fix the cables, then go to grab a snack, but forget to consider that the fridge has been unpowered for a few hours. The delicious Baanu-made pudding you had been saving has gone bad, and you come down with heavy flows of diarrhea just as you are going through security at Teasa spaceport. You run to the nearest doctor's office, but the doctor is on his way out. You plead for him to treat you, but he refuses. His sister has been caught up in the mining strikes on Mars, and he needs to get there stat, lest she run out of her diabetes medication. poo poo is flowing out your pant legs, and you realize you will soon die from dehydration if you aren't treated immediately. You tell him as much, but he won't risk his sisters life to help a stranger, hippocratic oath be damned. You tell him "Sorry doc, but I'm out of options", and let diarrhea flow onto your hands, splashing it onto his face, rubbing your fingers on his gums. "We're in this together now, doc", you say, "you'll die from diarrhea before you ever reach Mars unless you treat yourself right now." The doctor convulses as the microbes start stirring his intestines. "Bastard! Now I'll never help you!" the doctor says, but you stay calm as your diarrhea mixes with his on the floor. You look him in the eye and say "By the time you've treated yourself, there's no time for you to reach Mars before your sister dies of diabetes." He collapses onto his knees, a pool of liquid brown growing around him. "No! What have you done!" he screams. You turn away from him, then look dramatically back over your shoulder. "Unless...". He looks up at you, desperation in his eyes. "Unless what!??". "Unless you help me. With my Drake Herald we can easily get to Mars in time to save your sister. All you have to do is cure my diarrhea along with your own, as you should have done from the beginning if you had any respect for that oath you took." A surge of shame and diarrhea rushes through the doctor. "... my oath ..." he croaks. Crestfallen, he realizes he is out of options. He holds the door to his office open, and as you pass through he looks back at the pool of diarhhea where he was kneeling, saying, "After that puddle is cleaned, I will paint the ground brown, as a monument and reminder of the time I broke my oath, and the time a spaceman in need taught me a lesson I will never forget." You see tears forming in the corner of his eyes, and realize this NPC will be your friend for the rest of his life - perhaps even join your crew - and all because of some spoiled Baanu pudding.

Show me any game other than Star Citizen where emergent gameplay like this is possible.

That's a really touching (cloth) story, wow how cool is Star Citizen gonna be in the very near future when it's finished!!!

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Pixelate posted:

(unmute)

The rest are a mystery.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
If the citizenry isn't immediately up in arms about this teleporting elevator revelation we'll know it's all a sham.

Teleporting elevators are not fidelity and we know that Chris demands fidelity! Does he even know about this? I imagine him reading this after his morning cocaine breakfast and demanding an immediate refactor of all elevators.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Do the teleporting elevators have working panels?

Greenplastic posted:

Big, if true.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/OprCoda/status/1312941388481298432
https://twitter.com/OprCoda/status/1312941390154936320
https://twitter.com/OprCoda/status/1313061046156955648

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the teleporting elevators teleport you into a regular elevator. Have you guys considered that possibility?

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I love every Citizen post that contains the phrase, "if you knew anything about Chris Roberts..."

It's like they pulled it right out of the Star Citizen Shill Starter Kit (only $55!)

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Pixelate posted:

(unmute)

The rest are a mystery.

At least half of those look like they should have had flaming guitar in hands.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

A lot about squadrons treats you like a child. The forced "Hey, giving power to your engines makes you faster! Do it NOW and the game won't move on until you push this button" thing was real tiresome. I played X-WING as a 9 year old with no tutorial, thank you very much. Its not hard to grasp.

Squadrons by Electronic Arts is not a product aimed primarily at gen X dudes who remember a 30 year old computer game dummie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016