Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I ran a ttrpg campaign my spouse helped me with, ate some fried pickles and hosed around all day. Being married rules, I don't know what the gently caress boomers go on about hating their spouses and poo poo all the time for, why did you marry someone you hate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

DicktheCat posted:

why did you marry someone you hate?

Sex drive is a huge factor, I imagine. Not that my grandfather hated my grandmother but the guy is 93 and still trying to get laid. My grandma passed and he's been alone for a few years but he's still horny. I asked my dad how he was the other day and he mentioned one of his in-home nurses quitting because he was trying to sleep with her. The one that takes care of him now just puts him in his place when he flirts or whatever. 93 though, that just blows my mind, meanwhile young dudes can't even get it up.

colas has a new favorite as of 16:43 on Sep 1, 2020

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Today my father found a very friendly but collarless dog on the street and brought him home because he was just very obviously someones beloved pup who managed to get out. I posted his picture in our town's facebook group, and within 30 seconds someone posted the name they thought was probably the owner. I looked them up and they'd posted a lost dog notice within 2 minutes of mine, and it was obviously the same dog. So I messaged her, we organised a handy meeting place and that good pup got reunited with his family within half an hour.

It was just insane how fast it all worked - that group is like Poirot on steroids when it comes to lost pets. Obviously I had to post an update to let everyone know he was home safe or they'd all have been really worried :unsmith:

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Pookah posted:

Today my father found a very friendly but collarless dog on the street and brought him home because he was just very obviously someones beloved pup who managed to get out. I posted his picture in our town's facebook group, and within 30 seconds someone posted the name they thought was probably the owner. I looked them up and they'd posted a lost dog notice within 2 minutes of mine, and it was obviously the same dog. So I messaged her, we organised a handy meeting place and that good pup got reunited with his family within half an hour.

It was just insane how fast it all worked - that group is like Poirot on steroids when it comes to lost pets. Obviously I had to post an update to let everyone know he was home safe or they'd all have been really worried :unsmith:
That is awesome
crosspost it in the happy new thread imo :3

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Ayin posted:

That is awesome
crosspost it in the happy new thread imo :3

I will do!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

DicktheCat posted:

I ran a ttrpg campaign my spouse helped me with, ate some fried pickles and hosed around all day. Being married rules, I don't know what the gently caress boomers go on about hating their spouses and poo poo all the time for, why did you marry someone you hate?

You don't hate them when you marry them, it's something you nurture over time. HTH

Pookah posted:

Thank you for this! :3:

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
One area of my mount was killing me for weeks and it got to the point where I couldn’t eat anything solid on that side of my mouth. I knew I had a chipped tooth and had an appointment for November to get it fixed, but I called in on Wednesday because it hurt so much and they had a cancellation for Thursday so I went in to see if that what was causing so much pain. Turns out it was because food basically would just jam itself into the tooth and brushing/rinsing wasn’t effective and it would just inflame my gums as well.

Took 45 minutes to fix but they got it, and today my mouth feels fine and I can eat normally again and it only cost my 50$ with my works insurance paying for the bulk of it (at least my crummy retail job has amazing insurance. Also in Canada so I’m assuming that helps too). I feel so much better.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The Black Stones posted:

One area of my mount was killing me for weeks and it got to the point where I couldn’t eat anything solid on that side of my mouth. I knew I had a chipped tooth and had an appointment for November to get it fixed, but I called in on Wednesday because it hurt so much and they had a cancellation for Thursday so I went in to see if that what was causing so much pain. Turns out it was because food basically would just jam itself into the tooth and brushing/rinsing wasn’t effective and it would just inflame my gums as well.

Took 45 minutes to fix but they got it, and today my mouth feels fine and I can eat normally again and it only cost my 50$ with my works insurance paying for the bulk of it (at least my crummy retail job has amazing insurance. Also in Canada so I’m assuming that helps too). I feel so much better.

I hesitate to suggest this, since you say brushing/rinsing don't help ,but I got a cheapy lidl water pick type thing and its been amazing for keeping my weird wisdom teeth clean. They are only half out and obviously right at the back, so they are really fuckin awkward to keep clean, and this water blaster thing is just amazing at keeping anything from getting stuck. I got mine in Ireland for like 20 quid, but there must be a similar sort of thing where you are. It's like those videos where people blast clean tiles with powerwashers except its your teeth and it honestly own bones.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Black Stones posted:

Dental stuff is awful, I’m glad you got it sorted out. Seconding the water-pick advice from above. You can get one from Shoppers for $30 I think and your mouth will feel permanently fabulous. I have a few crowns that snuggle up against adjacent teeth in floss-hostile ways and it was a game changer.

My day was awesome because my depression treatments are working so I got to spend my day off taking a pile of crap to the electronics recycler and general donation places, and the basement is much nicer to be in now. Much better than a month ago when every hour not spent at work was in bed feeling like the universe’s rear end in a top hat.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Got confirmation I'm getting the full $2000 essential worker bonus for being a hospital janitor during covid :toot: Tax man took a fat slice to the tune of like 700 bucks, but I'm poor enough that I'll likely get most of it refunded in february

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Danaru posted:

Got confirmation I'm getting the full $2000 essential worker bonus for being a hospital janitor during covid :toot: Tax man took a fat slice to the tune of like 700 bucks, but I'm poor enough that I'll likely get most of it refunded in february

If you're in the USA Trump is putting through a thing so they take out a whole bunch less income tax till Dec and then double the normal amount after that. So maybe expect a bit less of that back than you would hope for.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm in Canada so no worries there

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I was hanging out with my older son on his telescope. We can see both Jupiter's moons and Saturn's rings. It's pretty incredible right now.

We caught the Galilean Moons the other day, but we hadn't realized that other bright spot was Saturn until tonight. It was a really remarkable moment. I've never seen them with my own eyes before.

And now we need to get him an even better telescope :)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

We got approved for some nice apartments not too far from my work. That takes a lot of stress out of "Landlord's selling the house, gotta go!" It's a nice place, with a nature trail and fishing lake, so the dog'll love it too.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I had a sit-down with myself and did some writing about fears and anxieties, and ultimately came to the conclusion that I’m doing okay. Mental health is a lifelong journey but each little success is worth celebrating.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I discovered two super awesome ARGs to join in on, and scheduled a second interview for a job I really want.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I submitted my paperwork to renew my contract at work a while ago and heard nothing back. Figured this meant it wasn't going to get renewed which happens but was a bit of a dick move not to mention it. Contract ends in a couple of weeks so asked my manager how he wants to deal with handover as contract renewal hasn't happened.

He lost his poo poo and it turns out HR was just being lazy. Still employed and can safely stay bunkered at home and continue to eat.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Inceltown posted:

I submitted my paperwork to renew my contract at work a while ago and heard nothing back. Figured this meant it wasn't going to get renewed which happens but was a bit of a dick move not to mention it. Contract ends in a couple of weeks so asked my manager how he wants to deal with handover as contract renewal hasn't happened.

He lost his poo poo and it turns out HR was just being lazy. Still employed and can safely stay bunkered at home and continue to eat.

Props on stepping up to ask! Good day indeed.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
Woke up to the sound of something fluttering against the bedroom window - turned out to be a rather limp Peacock butterfly. When I opened the window the breeze just blew him straight onto the floor. I tried to nudge him to the sill and he just fell over. It was obviously very tired, so I looked up how to feed butterflies, mixed up a bottlecap of sugar-water, gently lifted him up by the (folded) wings and put the front feet in the water (today I learnt butterflies taste with their feet...). Immediately it put its proboscis in the water and was drinking for five minutes, visibly vibrating with effort/pleasure. When it had finished it flopped onto the sill and lay there. It was there for an hour or more, not moving and I wondered if it was too exhausted or injured...then the sun came up enough to hit the sill. As soon as it was in the sun it unfolded its wings and a couple of minutes later it flew off into the garden.

In the midst of a lot of lovely stuff happening in the world helping a tired butterfly really gave me a mood-boost the rest of the day.

Definitely an improvement on the last time I helped an insect - I scooped a struggling half-drowned bumblebee out of a paddling pool, put it on the garden wall to dry out in the sun and when I came back 15 mins or so later it had blundered into a web and was being eaten by a big garden spider!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's been an extremely long few days.

Captain Invictus posted:

Mom's got a fever, dunno what's wrong with her but I hope it's nothing serious.

edit: fever's continuing, she has aches as fevers are wont to do, but she has none of the other common symptoms of covid so it's hopefully not that. we've been taking every possible precaution to prevent it so I'm really hoping it's just a cold since her doctor said her comorbidities make it like 95% likely she'll die if she gets it. We're going to see if we can both get tested in the morning, just to make sure. Not sure what to do if she comes up positive though.

Captain Invictus posted:

I just took mom to the hospital. she's been tested, waiting on the results, but she has pneumonia in both lungs and a blood oxygen level of 80ish, which is horrific. it's probably covid. She's been admitted. I'm not allowed to see her.

I don't know what to do.

I don't know what to do.

I don't know what to do.

I probably got it from one of the covid-deniers at work despite doing everything I could to avoid them, with a mask and face shield to boot. And then she probably got it from me, though I'm still waiting on a test appointment to find out if I actually have it or not. The nurse told me I wouldn't be able to visit my mom until either she is cleared of having covid or she's on her deathbed. My little sister was murdered in a really horrific way. I don't want to lose my mom at my age, and only have my dad left. I don't know what I'll do, I care about her more than anyone I have left, and despite everything I did to prevent it, I might have gotten her sick with something that will kill her. I just hope her getting in the hospital soon enough helps her survive it. I hope, I hope, I hope.

I want every single covid-denying mask-scoffer to drop dead.

Captain Invictus posted:

THE TEST WAS NEGATIVE. it's NOT covid, it's just severe, covid-like pneumonia with over half of the covid symptoms. I'm so loving happy right now, and of course she is too.

They're keeping her for now to make sure the pneumonia goes away and to do a second test to make sure it's not a false negative, but I am so goddamn happy you don't even know. Still going to get tested myself if they let me just to make sure anyways.

I just kinda melted back into bed just now with relief. Her symptoms were basically a tick down list of covid, but it's not in her system, so it just looks and feels like it.

Captain Invictus posted:

I never would have thought I would be so ecstatic to hear my mom simply has severe pneumonia.

We are so happy.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Invictus posted:

We are so happy.

That must have been terrifying, I'm so so glad it's working out ok for you both. Very best wishes to your mom for a full recovery, and for you to be less stressed :unsmith:

fake edit: gently caress covid right in its weird prickly.. sphere thingy. I know neither of you have it, but the fear of it is making everything so much worse.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Captain Invictus posted:

We are so happy.

It's very on brand for 2020 to have "severe pneumonia" being the good news. Glad to hear it's not the roni and wishing her a safe and speedy recovery.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've been repapering my bedroom, and because I know nothing whatsoever about hanging wallpaper, my mother (who hasn't hung paper in 20 years) has been leading the project. Yesterday, we faced our biggest challenge - one strip needed to go around two corners (an innie and an outie) because of a chimney breast - so a 10 foot 6 strip of damp paper needed to be delicately maneuvered into a very complex position to match the pattern - and we did it! It's a completely smooth, aligned piece. Which is even more of a miracle when you take into account that this is a 170 year old building so nothing is square anywhere.

We've literally seen the pattern slowly creep up, and then down again on a single wall. It's honestly bizarre, but I've learned so much from her about papering in old houses - she learned all this stuff from my grandmother, who was apparently a loving master of getting paper to look like it's straight on walls that definitely aren't.

edit: in preparation for doing this, I watched a few youtube videos; one of them said to cut several strips and get them pasted so's you can work more efficiently. I mentioned this to my ma and she laughed and said I'm not cutting any strips until I've seen them against the wall. I thought she was exaggerating but holy god, these walls are just insanely irregular. The pattern could go up or down by an inch between two adjoining strips. It's a goddamn funhouse in here.

Pookah has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Sep 29, 2020

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's been an insanely long 6 days, but mom is finally back home. I guess once the hospital stabilizes you they boot you out to recover at home, probably need the room due to covid. Now mom's rolling around with an oxygen tank like a proper old person. :v:

Hopefully that thing won't be needed much longer.

Edit: also, got a water pick and used it for the first time. Boy, these things sure are neat! I'd love to never have to use threaded floss again if this thing works as well as I've heard.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 05:05 on Oct 1, 2020

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Glad your mom's doing better & back home, CV! I hate that we all have to be so paranoid because of a few idiots that refuse to wear a mask or take precautions. I do whatever I can to protect myself, mainly because I visit my parents a couple times a month & both are in their mid 60s, mom has complications from decades of smoking & dad is going through cancer treatment on top of having type 2 diabetes. I ain't taking any chances, any time I even feel a bit sniffly I wait a week & stay away from them to avoid passing it on.

In other news - today, I am officially debt free :woop: car is paid off, CC is paid off, now it's just the basic expenses (rent, utilities, food, gas, etc). Considering I'm making almost double now what I was a year ago, it feels really strange (but good) seeing how much I have leftover each month. At first I got a little paranoid & had to keep checking to make sure I paid all my bills & wasn't missing anything... lol

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

20k of trail running through this.

Einarr Saltyman
Oct 4, 2020

I finally able to defeat the sloth within me to register in this forum and to post my first post.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Einarr Saltyman posted:

I finally able to defeat the sloth within me to register in this forum and to post my first post.

Allow me to be the first to tell you to lurk more then ;)

Einarr Saltyman
Oct 4, 2020

Inceltown posted:

Allow me to be the first to tell you to lurk more then ;)

And I intend to do so.

Oh wait....., why am I replying instead of lurking ?
My apology.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013
I went on a mountain bike ride and saw an owl.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hokkaido Anxiety posted:

I went on a mountain bike ride and saw an owl.

So cool!

I saw a jay today and even though they live around here all the time, they are so shy that I've never seen one before, even though I look out for birds and stuff all the time.

edit: for some reason I've been singing a lot lately and it's been really fun - unfortunately my song choices have veered between Tom Wait's Rain Dogs, for which I very much do not have the right kind of voice ( I love Big Black Mariah but I have no roar whatsoever :( ), and more fortunately Annie Lennox , whose contralto is much more my speed, but obv. I do not have her range and astonishing ability.

Doing my feeble best though :)

Pookah has a new favorite as of 18:11 on Oct 9, 2020

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Lowtax finally sold the site, so I feel comfortable posting here again.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm glad that Lowtax is dead

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my hamster decided it was time to dislodge their wheel and bang it against the wall of their cage while I was sleeping this morning.

I slipped with a brand new xacto knife and sliced a pretty good gouge out of my hand, I glued it shut right after cleaning it but it's still a pretty ugly looking cut right now.

my ancient dog was walking around pooping on the floor as she went, making a hell of a mess. least it wasn't diarrhea.

but all that's fine, because my mom's mostly all better now and they just removed the home IV from her arm today, and lowtax sold the site.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Danaru posted:

I'm glad that Lowtax is dead

Latest Killer Mike track is fire.

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
I finished a project I'd been working on for several months. Then I went out to eat at a socially distanced location where the bartender remembered my drink from the last I was there like 6 months ago. It was really nice.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Had my first really good date in a long time.

Was with big tiddy goth lady.

I may be very close to living the dream.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Finished shooting, developing and scanning my first project and am now onto fine editing and proofing. It's awesome seeing it all in one place as I soft it out and make adjustments.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Have been struggling to find work for a while and was very worried about my career and future and my anxiety was spinning out of control, but I pushed through and revamped my portfolio and now I'm getting a ton of interviews and I'm breathing for the first time in weeks. Wish I could celebrate by hanging out with a friend while finally in a decent mood, but that'll have to wait til Wednesday.

I think I'll take the night to work on my personal project I haven't been able to touch during that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I just found out that a friend whom I thought I lost to Corona half a year ago is alive and well! (dumb fucker just forgot to reply to my regular attempts to communicate because he was so busy with work in the elder care and social services sector).