Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Buried in the BBC article about the 16000 lost cases poo poo is a line about Kate Bingham, head of the governments corona task force saying that the vaccine is for over 50s, care workers and health workers and 'vulnerable'. So if you have no obvious comorbidities and you're 49 you just have to hope you don't die? I can't tell if this is a weird new stance or if there's just a lack of information because it's just one quote stuck in an article about the IT cockup.

180. Darts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

TBH this all feeds into my own personal umbrella conspiracy theory - that all of the weirder conspiracy theories are in fact disinformation intended to muddy the waters when people talk about actual conspiracies.

OwlFancier posted:

You would see the same effect from people seeing the elements of actual conspiracies and not having a good lens through which to parse them, though.
I think elements of both can be true, you have petri dishes like 8chan that shitpost the wildest conspiracy theories and see which ones take hold, and you have powerful actors that can signal boost the ones that work for them, like with Trump playing along with Q a bit, but also more secretive ones. And you can also have that there's some seriously bad/weird poo poo that happened in the past and was attempted to be covered up, and people get snippets of those that are currently happening.

But then there's all the hosed up stuff that's out in the open, like the hysterectomies at ICE camps and talk of camps on Ascension Island and that's not even attempted to be hidden, which to some people would indicate that there's worse behind the scenes (and less charitably to give the people who don't care about that an excuse to whatabout).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

I don't 100% agree with either of these examples, especially the latter, so it's not a hugely helpful distinction

The distinction is the nature of the power they wield. A DPP, or an MI5 officer if we want to use Peter Wright as our example, have hard power that is derived from the job they do - someone else in that same job would hold that same power. The Duke of Westminster has no official power, but he wields a massive amount of soft power because he went to the right schools, speaks with the right accent, and is a member of the right clubs.

If tomorrow you were made DPP you would have the power of that role - you could choose who did or did not get prosecuted (which of course has concomitant soft power to influence, but again that power comes from the role, not the person). If instead you were made Duke of Westminster you would *not* have the power Hugh Grosvener has because Daddy wouldn't have taken time to introduce you to all his pals. Of course you'd still have all that money, which tends to bend reality to your whims on its own, but you most definitely wouldn't have the massive amount of power that he wields.

This ultimately is the difference between the two. Of course until WW2 they were effectively the same thing, and the overlap between them is still huge, but they are not the same any more, which is the point of the distinction.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

Buried in the BBC article about the 16000 lost cases poo poo is a line about Kate Bingham, head of the governments corona task force saying that the vaccine is for over 50s, care workers and health workers and 'vulnerable'. So if you have no obvious comorbidities and you're 49 you just have to hope you don't die? I can't tell if this is a weird new stance or if there's just a lack of information because it's just one quote stuck in an article about the IT cockup.

180. Darts.

Aren't those the criteria for who gets the flu vaccine for free?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So we've gone full circle and government policy is officially 'it's just the flu bro'?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The distinction is the nature of the power they wield. A DPP, or an MI5 officer if we want to use Peter Wright as our example, have hard power that is derived from the job they do - someone else in that same job would hold that same power. The Duke of Westminster has no official power, but he wields a massive amount of soft power because he went to the right schools, speaks with the right accent, and is a member of the right clubs.

If tomorrow you were made DPP you would have the power of that role - you could choose who did or did not get prosecuted (which of course has concomitant soft power to influence, but again that power comes from the role, not the person). If instead you were made Duke of Westminster you would *not* have the power Hugh Grosvener has because Daddy wouldn't have taken time to introduce you to all his pals. Of course you'd still have all that money, which tends to bend reality to your whims on its own, but you most definitely wouldn't have the massive amount of power that he wields.

This ultimately is the difference between the two. Of course until WW2 they were effectively the same thing, and the overlap between them is still huge, but they are not the same any more, which is the point of the distinction.

I would suggest that the electoral system and its peripheral components such as the press, function to ensure that the wielders of hard power remain subordinate to the desires of the establishment, however.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

What the absolute gently caress

Our lockdown is a joke

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol even now it’s begging people to go to the cinema but not begging anyone to release any actual films

Boris just crying and wailing, unable to fathom why the entire UK population won’t follow his lead of blindly going through the motions as if everything is normal

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

radmonger posted:

You can posit the existence of a similar political faction in the UK, fighting behind the scene battles against the publicly visible ones like Tories, Labour and the Crown. But ultimately that is actually less plausible than vampires or Greys. Such supernatural creatures could have supernaturally-effective ways of concealing their existence; mundane conspiracies don’t. They can only kill someone and leave a suspicious death, not wipe all memory that a particular person ever existed.

you're saying that there are no deep lying political operators or groups in The UK that exert considerable influence over public facing politicians, while being beyond the scrutiny of the democratic process or judiciary, and that to suggest as much is the same as believing in...vampires and aliens? also wth is that last sentence all about.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Gort posted:

What the absolute gently caress

Our lockdown is a joke

Bloody Stupid Johnson (c) Pratchett

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

So we've gone full circle and government policy is officially 'it's just the flu bro'?

No, they're putting out the normal flu vaccine to more people because they don't need that on top of Covid.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Oct 5, 2020

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

you're saying that there are no deep lying political operators or groups in The UK that exert considerable influence over public facing politicians, while being beyond the scrutiny of the democratic process or judiciary, and that to suggest as much is the same as believing in...vampires and aliens? also wth is that last sentence all about.

The Crown exists as a known and visible institution; they have palaces you can visit. There absolutely are plenty of people in the UK state, including most of those with guns, who would, under the right circumstances, side with the monarchy over the PM.

The point is that all the major apparent political assassinations and suspicious deaths that have happened in the UK post WWII have been of right wing or apolitical figures (Airey Neave, the attempt on Thatcher, Diana, David Kelly). So to support the thesis ‘secretive right wing groups are controlling politics _by murdering politicians_’, you need to imagine a group that is doing something impossibly clever and indirect.

While ignoring the existence of the Tories, the Sun, and rich people.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

radmonger posted:

The point is that all the major apparent political assassinations and suspicious deaths that have happened in the UK post WWII have been of right wing or apolitical figures (Airey Neave, the attempt on Thatcher, Diana, David Kelly).

Did you somehow memory-hole Jo Cox or something?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://twitter.com/tef_ebooks/status/1313127849759514624?s=19

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Comrade Fakename posted:

No, they're putting out the normal flu vaccine to more people because they don't need that on top of Covid.

I don't know whether to get one or not.

My GP hasn't invited me (not sure if they're doing invitations but as I'm over 60 now I thought they might), but my sister who is not yet 60 is getting one as are all the neighbours I have spoken to (mostly over 80s) - for some reason they were all getting them yesterday (Sunday!)

I worked somewhere once where the company paid for private flu jabs for the entire staff and half the staff were off work for the next two weeks with flu something that looked very like flu but can't have been because "they" insist you can't get flu from a vaccine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I get mine every year because I work in a shop and they are plague ridden at the best of times.

My severely ill grandmother however avoided them because she said they made her unwell, which I don't know if it's possible that the mild immune response triggered by the vaccine was much worse because of her condition or whether it was just coincidence. Either way she stopped getting them and just avoided people.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

You just KNOW this came about because someone there only knows how to use Excel and don't see why they should learn some new-fangled technology.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Not quite. Diabetics get the flu vaccine free, but we're not considered vulnerable to COVID-19.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

And that is why when I was matching a list of national claims against a company to the national postcode database, it's in 5 or 6 CSV files to cover the UK postcodes and do several columns of vlookups....
And it doesn't help when whoever typed the darned addresses in the first place didn't know the difference between 0 and O or between "space" and "spacespace" all of which had to be error trapped.

And reminds me when I was working for a large, popular, national infrastructure company and the HR bods used to have the row of desks behind me and were doing the Working Time Directive calculations for shift workers, on Excel, and couldn't understand some of the figures they were getting because to them, the operative Peter Smith was the same as P. Smith, P Smith, Mr P Smith, Pete Smith etc whereas to Excel he was obviously 5 different people. I used to implore people in other departments that if they were going to collect data to do any sort of analysis, PLEASE talk to the analyst department first!

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

radmonger posted:

The point is that all the major apparent political assassinations and suspicious deaths that have happened in the UK post WWII have been of right wing or apolitical figures (Airey Neave, the attempt on Thatcher, Diana, David Kelly). So to support the thesis ‘secretive right wing groups are controlling politics _by murdering politicians_’, you need to imagine a group that is doing something impossibly clever and indirect.

well you're forgetting jo cox but beyond that, we aren't talking strictly about assassinations. that isn't the thesis. the thesis is, "there are groups of powerful individuals who operate beyond the legal and democratic processes and so cannot be voted in or out of power, but who nevertheless organize to exert influence over elected politicians and others to shape the country to their ideological/economic benefit."

put like that, it seems academic that of course these networks exist. and therefore so does the establishment or the deep state or whatever you wanna call it.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1313046638915706880

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The way I taught myself coding was to take two CSV files of over 1 million rows each, smash them together, and then output some specific results.

It took me about a week.

Can I get that contract?

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I get mine every year because I work in a shop and they are plague ridden at the best of times.

My severely ill grandmother however avoided them because she said they made her unwell, which I don't know if it's possible that the mild immune response triggered by the vaccine was much worse because of her condition or whether it was just coincidence. Either way she stopped getting them and just avoided people.

I suffer from Chronic fatigue that is brought on by immune response - be it allergies, colds, or the flu. My ma keeps saying to get the flu vaccine but I don't feel comfortable seeing as there are millions of people who need it much more urgently than I do. Doctor thinks that if I did get it it would almost certainly make me ill again. I'm not classed as High Risk but hearing all the "Long Covid" stories reminds me of my condition. I also work with the public and being locked down and now furloughed has meant I've actually been able to enjoy the summer instead of being housebound!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do they usually run out of flu jabs?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

The way I taught myself coding was to take two CSV files of over 1 million rows each, smash them together, and then output some specific results.

It took me about a week.

Can I get that contract?

Are you a donor to the Tory party?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1313115702182719489

Love the spluttering that of course Bin Laden is worse than Trump.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

gh0stpinballa posted:

well you're forgetting jo cox but beyond that, we aren't talking strictly about assassinations. that isn't the thesis. the thesis is, "there are groups of powerful individuals who operate beyond the legal and democratic processes and so cannot be voted in or out of power, but who nevertheless organize to exert influence over elected politicians and others to shape the country to their ideological/economic benefit."

put like that, it seems academic that of course these networks exist. and therefore so does the establishment or the deep state or whatever you wanna call it.
Using that definition, there's at least half a dozen groups like that in the British state alone, with office politics between them, each powerful enough to spend the majority of their time on stupid bullshit and still have enough power to exert influence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP7vFG4XfmU

Using the definition of "shadow government controlled by Hillary Clinton that harvests adrenochrome from children kept in tunnels" there are zero, and unfortunately the people who believe there is one are trying to get monopoly on the term.

Guavanaut posted:

Just make one master Excel file that crosslinks the totals from all the other Excel files. Nothing ever goes wrong with that.
https://twitter.com/MaxCRoser/status/1313048545549848582
:negative:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

EvilHawk posted:

It took me about a week.

Can I get that contract?

The harder part would be recreating all the features of Excel.

Idk, the specific gently caress-up is "were inattentive to the specific limitations of Excel" and risk-free data ingest is a big problem that's by no means simple. It's a gently caress up, for sure, but it's not really a trivial one.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Using the definition of "shadow government controlled by Hillary Clinton that harvests adrenochrome from children kept in tunnels" there are zero, and unfortunately the people who believe there is one are trying to get monopoly on the term.

they're satanic chuds. i am sprinkling more and more salt around the term, a salt circle of posts, to protect it from them. we have to reclaim it because if nothing else it sounds cool as hell. "deep state". cool.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

gh0stpinballa posted:

I did sadly forget Jo Cox, but I don’t think that case particularly helps in building a coherent theory about some group distinct from Murdoch and the Brexit Party.

Unless you are proposing one, all you are doing is jumping between the Turkish and Trumpoid definitions of Deep State. In America, the Supreme Court and other judiciary are absolutely limiting the actions of elected politicians, just like say the House of Lords (to a lesser extent) does here. And presumably if a PM out of nowhere said ‘fire all the missiles at Dublin’, some general would say ‘no, that is an illegal order’. Corporations, lobbyists, are all the same thing; people openly doing their job, within the discretion the effective constitution allows them.

That is what Trump’s true believers means by Deep State, and what they want to abolish. The claim that Hillary, Turkey-style, had 87 people killed is just the cover for that, Although, like all such stories, it does attracts its own true believers...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RJPartington/status/1313075013399064576?s=19

Dying of poverty so the rich can feel useful.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

josh04 posted:

The harder part would be recreating all the features of Excel.

Idk, the specific gently caress-up is "were inattentive to the specific limitations of Excel" and risk-free data ingest is a big problem that's by no means simple. It's a gently caress up, for sure, but it's not really a trivial one.

If you're a company that does some sort of data management, and you're unaware that Excel has those limitations, you should not be managing that amount of data imo.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I'm pretty sure the official position on Finuchan as of the mi5 inquiries is now "yeah that was clearly us who cares", so add that to "deep state" murdering people who are definitely not apolitical or RW in the UK. I'm not aware of any suggestions any elected official greenlighted the water tower, or the bloody sunday schedule changes either. That would make these all clear examples of spooks manipulating public opinion through mass violence to sway politicians, no?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

On the one hand, huge lols all around at this most low-effort solution, but on the other hand if this is the problem that tripped them up in the first place I don't think I'd trust them to suddenly learn how to use a proper database and migrate everything into it overnight

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1313144489666588672

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

radmonger posted:

Unless you are proposing one, all you are doing is jumping between the Turkish and Trumpoid definitions of Deep State. In America, the Supreme Court and other judiciary are absolutely limiting the actions of elected politicians, just like say the House of Lords (to a lesser extent) does here. And presumably if a PM out of nowhere said ‘fire all the missiles at Dublin’, some general would say ‘no, that is an illegal order’. Corporations, lobbyists, are all the same thing; people openly doing their job, within the discretion the effective constitution allows them.

the circle complex is chaired atm by nadhim zahawi, under secretary for industry. they are the british adjunct to gladio, and unlike in italy and elsewhere in europe, it was never formally abolished. they are a private intelligence outfit composed of an unknown number of british state security agents, military staff, journalists, business leaders and government ministers. they are absolutely influencing government decision making, and there is no way to know in what way or to what degree because they refuse to even divulge what they discuss at their yearly conferences either side of the atlantic or who attends. at least 2 members of zahawi's staff also work in an administrative capacity for the group. rory stewart, ex tory mp who refused to confirm or deny if he was an MI6 agent, also chaired the group at one point. all we really know for sure about le cercle is that a detachment called the shield helped put thatcher into power and enmeshed the british state in a bunch of shady middle east arms deals in the 80s. they're just one unaccountable gathering of state and private actors, there are many more. anywhere you have capitalism and a deeply embedded old boys network, you'll get this murky confluence of individuals with mutal ideologies and interests subverting the state.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

The conspiracy version of the Deep State referred to there is that they are a hypercompetent monolith that can only be stopped from trafficking children by Donald J. Trump.
Yes, the only thing that can stop a bad billionaire with an underage model is a good billionaire with an underage model.

Biggus Dickus posted:

You just KNOW this came about because someone there only knows how to use Excel and don't see why they should learn some new-fangled technology.
Pretty sure this is Cummings saying to a terrified intern "Everybody puts the headings along the top, that's boring. I want the headings down the side and the cases along the top. That's original thinking." And the intern just nods and does it because the whole time Cummings has been holding a gom jabbar to his throat.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Angepain posted:

I guess we should just be thankful they're using excel 2007 or later, columns in .xls max out at 256

that article in the tweet moostaffa posted posted:

PHE had set up an automatic process to pull this data together into Excel templates so that it could then be uploaded to a central system and made available to the NHS Test and Trace team as well as other government computer dashboards.

The problem is that the PHE developers picked an old file format to do this - known as XLS.

As a consequence, each template could handle only about 65,000 rows of data rather than the one million-plus rows that Excel is actually capable of.

And since each test result created several rows of data, in practice it meant that each template was limited to about 1,400 cases. When that total was reached, further cases were simply left off.

I stand corrected. mods change filename in thread title to Covid.xls, britain does not stand for this kind of modern xml nonsense

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Sorry no vaccines for those outside the core tory demographic. Hope you like long Covid.

https://www.ft.com/content/d2e00128-7889-4d5d-84a3-43e51355a751

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

I'll just assume that this data gently caress-uppery is somehow related to data-losing genius Dido Harding having taken over at Public Health England in the last couple of months