Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I don't really disagree with any of the negative things people have to say about eternal I just think the combat mechanics are just that good that it doesn't even bother me. It feels so much better to just rip through than 2016 for sure imo
I found the combat way better than 2016

It can definitely get very hectic once you get to the later levels as far as the combat areas go. The basic strategy I found is to just keep moving as much as you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

LordOfThePants posted:

How are people buying the Brazil Xbox Live codes from CDKeys? I’ve tried twice now and it won’t complete the purchase. They send me an email saying there’s either an issue with the payment or I’m in the wrong region to purchase the items. I know the payment is working since I saw the pending charge (which came off), obviously I’m not in Brazil, but it seems like lots of people do this so I’m not sure what’s going on.

I bought via PayPal on my credit card. You tried the PayPal option?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What 360 games are there that aren't BC yet but people want? I know I used to have a list in my head but I can't recall any right now.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Akuma posted:

What 360 games are there that aren't BC yet but people want? I know I used to have a list in my head but I can't recall any right now.

Game of the generation 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, for one.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Akuma posted:

Excluding games whose licenses would make it impossible? Max Payne 3, Ace Combat 5/6, Freedom Fighters (for OG Xbox)?

e: Quake 4 and the bonus port of Quake 2 that came with it

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 4, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They never got around to Destroy All Humans 2.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

FEAR, riddick games are two for me

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Akuma posted:

A very rough list and a bunch of these are pretty much guaranteed to never be made backwards compatible.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
Beautiful Katamari
Dead or Alive 4
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
Eternal Sonata
Forza Motorsport 4
Lollipop Chainsaw
Max Payne 3
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
Mortal Kombat (2011)
NCAA Football 14
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game (I guess this one doesn't matter anymore)
Skate 2
Sonic the Hedgehog (2006)
Soulcalibur IV
Soulcalibur V
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online HD
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 4, 2020

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Excluding games whose licenses would make it impossible? Max Payne 3, Ace Combat 5/6, Freedom Fighters (for OG Xbox)?

Oh, if we are including Xbox games the list of worthwhile future BC games is much longer. More people should play Gunvalkyrie.

TrueAchievements has a list of games not yet BC. There's a lot of good stuff there: https://www.trueachievements.com/not-backwards-compatible/games

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zerot posted:

Game of the generation 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, for one.

Jeff Gerstmann would love this.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
When will Jet Set Radio Future ever get its BC support

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I specifically included Freedom Fighters because it had a 720p mode and never got a sequel or remaster, and the recent gog rerelease suggests it's feasible

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Adaptabullshit posted:

When will Jet Set Radio Future ever get its BC support

It will definitely happen when Microsoft definitely buys Sega.

The real answer is that I'm not sure. Some of the music might cause problems.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
This guy has posted a video of 20 back compat games on the Series X but is notable because it is HDR capture which we've really not seen much (if any) of. So first I've seen of the AutoHDR enabled in games.
https://youtu.be/eLW0MPj0f7g
Geometry Wars 2 pops like crazy. Well worth a watching if you have an HDR TV (or phone even) and want to see how that works.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

univbee posted:

A very rough list and a bunch of these are pretty much guaranteed to never be made backwards compatible.

50 Cent: Blood on the Sand
Beautiful Katamari
Dead or Alive 4
Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
Eternal Sonata
Forza Motorsport 4
Lollipop Chainsaw
Max Payne 3
Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
Mortal Kombat (2011)
NCAA Football 14
Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game (I guess this one doesn't matter anymore)
Skate 2
Soulcalibur IV
Soulcalibur V
Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online HD
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14

I'm curious on what would enable persona 4 arena to be bc, but the follow up ultimax to not. As far as I can tell it is the same game but with new characters and story without any guest ip or music licensing involved.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

univbee posted:

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
Eternal Sonata

the mere concept that there would ever exist anyone on this planet who would want any of these made backwards compatible bewilders me, might as well throw fuckin ride to hell on this list

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the mere concept that there would ever exist anyone on this planet who would want any of these made backwards compatible bewilders me, might as well throw fuckin ride to hell on this list

I'll defend Eternal Sonata because even though the game isn't very good the concept is incredibly stupid and I'm glad it exists.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Zerot posted:

The real answer is that I'm not sure. Some of the music might cause problems.

I've been wondering too that the music might cause licensing issues.

Most of the music in that game was licensed from Grand Royal Records, that was owned by the Beastie Boys. They went bankrupt in 2001, with the assets being spread apart.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zerot posted:

I'll defend Eternal Sonata because even though the game isn't very good the concept is incredibly stupid and I'm glad it exists.

eternal sonata might be a game that wraps around to 'so bad it's good'

i still cannot believe that game gave a character a death scene that was longer than the sum total time they were even in your fuckin party to begin with lmao, it's like the game is a parody of every terrible jrpg cliche but is not aware of that fact

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
It also might just be my brainworms talking, but I'm still hankering to play some ninety-nine nights and those games are some of the very few non music based konami games not to be bc.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I want Beautiful Katamari. :(

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

TheScott2K posted:

I specifically included Freedom Fighters because it had a 720p mode and never got a sequel or remaster, and the recent gog rerelease suggests it's feasible

My original Xbox copy arrived and I put it into my Xbox one - just in case. Can confirm it still definitely doesn’t work.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Here is my list of games in addition to ones posted, that I wish had BC, because they were good or so bad they were good in their own special way. (Just tried them on the XboneX and they didn't work.)

Ninety-Nine Knights
Stranglehold
Nier
SAW
SAW II: Flesh and Blood
Sneak King
Chronicles of Riddick
Game of Thrones

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

If your like Alpha Protocol to go BC but I doubt it won't happen due to Autograph - Turn up the radio.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sneak King HD Remaster when?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I really want the two towers and return of the king beat em ups to come over. Legit the best in a long time, still the best video games the franchise has done.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ryoga posted:

I'm curious on what would enable persona 4 arena to be bc, but the follow up ultimax to not. As far as I can tell it is the same game but with new characters and story without any guest ip or music licensing involved.

Just a guess, but they might have not found it worth it considering that Japan didn’t get Ultimax on Xbox. Why work on emulating the sequel with a smaller release rather than the original with a full worldwide release?

Edit: come to think of it it might actually be licensing. I think that’s what prevented Ultimax 2.0 getting a console port at all

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 4, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Max Payne 3 just needs a rerelease built for new loading times and I would, honestly, pay a surprising amount of money for that.

Edit: Make a Max Payne Trilogy collection, do it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MP3 still looks great tbh, they put in insanely high-res textures. It's shameful it never got a rerelease this gen.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

bushisms.txt posted:

I really want the two towers and return of the king beat em ups to come over. Legit the best in a long time, still the best video games the franchise has done.

Same, but LOTR games from that era are probably license hell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

MP3 still looks great tbh, they put in insanely high-res textures. It's shameful it never got a rerelease this gen.
I would also like a sequel but considering Rockstar is only capable of working on one game at a time I guess that’s not happening

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
https://twitter.com/cecianasta/status/1313109733432348672

Very interesting article. I don't think there's too much new here for people paying attention to what Xbox has been doing as of late, but I grabbed a few paragraphs that stuck out to me.

quote:

In interviews with WIRED, Xbox executives detailed a more holistic strategy going into their splashy November launches. As with the previous generation, Microsoft will offer a high-octane Xbox and a stripped-down alternative: the Xbox Series X and Series S. But Xbox’s two-console launch is just the superscript. “So much of my experience as a gamer 10, 20 years ago was dictated by what device I played on,” Xbox head Phil Spencer tells WIRED. Today, he says, he’s pushing for a reality in which “the device doesn’t dictate to me what I can do—I’m going to want to bring my experience to any device, whether it’s a PC, my phone, or a great console.”

quote:

Watching Xbox One, PC, and Game Pass players modulate their settings on 2019’s Gears 5 or the Halo: The Master Chief Collection, Spencer noticed that while some adjusted for the best possible fidelity (even if a 30-frames-per-second frame rate woodchipped their gameplay), a lot optimized for feel. They’d easily sacrifice a couple of luminescent sunbeams for more reactive shooter mechanics. The critical question for the Xbox team: Why was that compromise so attractive?

quote:

Sarah Bond, who heads up Xbox’s gaming ecosystem division, says the company has learned a lot from how players interacted with Game Pass on the Xbox One. “We see that people actually spend 20 percent more time playing games, try 30 percent more genres, and play 40 percent more total games, including outside the subscription,” she says. “We have seen the highest levels of engagement ever on our own games and growth in the playerbase.” After landing on Game Pass, she says, Grounded reached a million players in 48 hours. Microsoft-owned Minecraft’s user base has ballooned to 132 million.

quote:

Rather than “power” or “performance,” Xbox’s big word this time around is “choice.” Audiophiles and cinema geeks can enjoy music and film wherever they go; gaming is making that transition, too. Xbox head Spencer says that now more than ever the company sees customers on PC who they never see on Xbox. “We don’t look at them as lesser because they didn’t go buy one of our consoles,” he says. “At some point, we’re going to have Xbox customers who only know us on their phone, and that’s also fine.”

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Zerot posted:

Audiophiles and cinema geeks can enjoy music and film wherever they go

This is the ideal for gaming, although companies can still be weirdly stubborn about this in various ways. While it's gotten a bit better in the last few years, there still aren't anywhere near the amount of emulation titles available in the "all platforms" ways that there should be (especially since MAME went fully GPL specifically to make the ability to re-release back catalog stuff more accessible to publishers). And there's the whole bidirectional problem with cloud offerings that's a non-issue with music and film.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Right, they are pivoting to emphasize software over hardware. The only problem with that, IMO, is if you keep doing that you are probably going to depress your hardware sales

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right, they are pivoting to emphasize software over hardware. The only problem with that, IMO, is if you keep doing that you are probably going to depress your hardware sales

I'm not sure they care about hardware sales if their software ecosystem is charging dozens of millions of people $15 a month.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Microsoft has done pretty well as a Software and Services company.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

That's true. But I don't know how much that matters.

This isn't me saying that Microsoft doesn't care about consoles, because they do and people misinterpret that sentiment. Microsoft would prefer everyone buy the next Xbox consoles and buy every exclusive and multiplatform game on the Xbox Store. That's the optimal money-making path for them.

But what's the monetary difference in between someone who buys an Xbox just for the exclusive games versus a PC owner who gets the Xbox exclusives there? Consoles are generally going to be break-evenish over time, and they'll make more money from the game sales on console. But there are a ton of PC owners who want to play these games, too. Likely way, way, way, way more than folks who would buy the Xbox and exclusives.

That's how I think they see it. They're giving up 30ish% on each game sale on Steam but are probably selling way more than they would otherwise. It seems perfectly fine to trade some hardware sales for that. It helps that PC players are also buying Xbox controllers and Game Pass subscriptions.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also your hardware helps set standards for what is expected to stream over the cloud service so you have the right tech stacks unlike google.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Given that all consoles are rumored to be loss leaders, I don't think they care much. They do care about a healthy ecosystem of users and income, obviously, and having consoles with exclusives is part of that, just as part of Sony's ecosystem is that they make developers use their optical disc factories to manufacture the games. And it's important to them to sell enough consoles that multiplats are being ported and bought for their 30% cut instead of Sony getting their 30% cut.

But it's clear that Microsoft execs have taken to heart the whole business school fable of the railroad barons who thought they were in the train business, not the transportation business. They thought that last gen too and it was a disaster for them. Seems like they've learned a bit how to do it this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Zerot posted:

That's how I think they see it. They're giving up 30ish% on each game sale on Steam but are probably selling way more than they would otherwise. It seems perfectly fine to trade some hardware sales for that. It helps that PC players are also buying Xbox controllers and Game Pass subscriptions.

This is me - Series X is going to be my first console. Wouldn't have gotten it if Gamepass didn't exist. And if they really push 'Play Anywhere' then I will absolutely abandon Steam and just buy stuff through Microsoft so I can access them on both the console and PC and have everything seamlessly transfer over.