Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Have him be Redcloak. He could pull it off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If Oots ever got an tv animated adaption he could voice anyone!

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Vaarsuvius

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well we can't have Bowie do it anymore

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

THE BAR posted:

Maybe it's because I'm binging through the entire thing again, but doesn't Xykon look a bit different? Like he's got a brow thing going?

Oh wow, he's been looking like that since 2016.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1039.html

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

THE BAR posted:

Oh wow, he's been looking like that since 2016.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1039.html

because I cannot resist reading some whenever a link is posted, I noticed this a few strips later:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1041.html

When then MITD paints the X on the doors, it does not leave footprints.

Well, any prints at all,rather.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's also holding the umbrella, bucket and paintbrush in a way that requires at least three prehensile limbs or some other way to hold them up. Since it's also standing on the non-snowed section in every panel we see it, and can reach doors that are much higher than the umbrella's shadow, my guess is that it's psionic and didn't need to step on the snow to paint any doors.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's also holding the umbrella, bucket and paintbrush in a way that requires at least three prehensile limbs or some other way to hold them up. Since it's also standing on the non-snowed section in every panel we see it, and can reach doors that are much higher than the umbrella's shadow, my guess is that it's psionic and didn't need to step on the snow to paint any doors.

MITD is also able to place Go tokens from inside a box, though I imagine O'Chul could have just been placing them for him.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1099.html

This page is dated a year too early! I have you now, Rich!

E:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1105.html

And again? Huh.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Oct 3, 2020

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
:siren: #1216 - Run to Ground

This may look like good news, but I think it is also gonna be bad news for a certain reason.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

That's a nice reminder that for as powerful as Xykon is, it's Redcloak who's really dangerous.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I get what you're saying. This is gonna be an unexplored door.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 5, 2020

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

This is gonna totally be the door the gate is behind, isn't it?

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
At the very least it will be one team evil hadn't actually explored yet.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Colander Crotch posted:

Can Xykon take the MitD?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

VanSandman posted:

Can Xykon take the MitD?

Almost certainly. We've at least seen that he can't pass a will throw from Xykon's spells when the story doesn't want him to.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Colander Crotch posted:

The monsters magically regenerate, right? So even if they go in and it's not cleared will they realize it's a fake mark?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's the payoff of this scene if it doesn't lead to team evil realizing that they've been betrayed by their door-painter?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

ultrafilter posted:

What's the payoff of this scene if it doesn't lead to team evil realizing that they've been betrayed by their door-painter?

You're right, but I think there has to be some other way they find out, given the monster regeneration thing.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
How long's it take for the monsters to repopulate though? Didn't Oona imply it's months at least, because she said her tribe rotates between harvesting doors like they're fields?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, that was my thought too. The odds are basically 100%.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
All we have is this

quote:

Monster Hollow important to bugbear clan. Hunt a little, tame a little. Wait, then monsters come back, start all over.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I’m still of a mind that the doors are just a glorified shell game with no right answer, but there’s going to be something else important in this one.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
What if the doors are a glorified switch puzzle and it's this combination of open and closed doors that makes the gate accessible

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I’m annoyed that these doors quite, but not entirely, resemble the one entrance we’ve actually seen Team Evil clear. Greenish-grey double doors on the bottom row, but with different handles and two crosses rather than one. It should either clearly be that door or clearly a different one. :argh:

Also mad props to Team Dwarf for actually getting away with it, assuming we’re not due for yet another turn.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

IMJack posted:

What if the doors are a glorified switch puzzle and it's this combination of open and closed doors that makes the gate accessible

Okay. What if. How does the story change?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Even if it is the right gate, team evil would not know that from the getgo and they would not want to waste time killing monsters when the good guys are right outside the door.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm increasingly coming around to the entire door network being a shell game because the shell game concept just keeps coming up in OotS. The dwarfs just shell-gamed Team Evil after all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Pretty sure this door will have monsters and the timeframe won't allow for the possibility that they had just respawned, putting some doubts into Team Evil's heads.

The question for me is what has been going on with the Order of Stick. Their position gives a good view of the gates and they'd have been looking for the Dwarfs by now, which makes me think something more urgent came up, probably the invisible beings that captured the Paladins.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ZearothK posted:

Pretty sure this door will have monsters and the timeframe won't allow for the possibility that they had just respawned, putting some doubts into Team Evil's heads.

The question for me is what has been going on with the Order of Stick. Their position gives a good view of the gates and they'd have been looking for the Dwarfs by now, which makes me think something more urgent came up, probably the invisible beings that captured the Paladins.

They're going to try to meet up with the rest of the party and find that they've all just disappeared.

Just in time for another 6 month long hiatus :v:

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

This being the door the gate is behind doesn't seem to fit with the pattern Rich has of subverting expectations. It's too obvious for him to go that route, I think.

This being where they find out that the MitD has been loving around to slow them down absolutely can and will happen here.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Robviously posted:

This being the door the gate is behind doesn't seem to fit with the pattern Rich has of subverting expectations. It's too obvious for him to go that route, I think.

This being where they find out that the MitD has been loving around to slow them down absolutely can and will happen here.

Even more interesting if this presents an opportunity to get Xykon in a pincer movement. If this is a unexplored dungeon then they might have a chance that while they get stuck fighting some big monsters they can ambush him from behind.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It being a shell game again feels weird since already went through that with girard's gate.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Team evil might think the dwarves quickly slapped paint on the door. What's more likely, the pair of dwarves who just pulled another misdirection trick on them or the loyal (as far as they know) but mostly incompetent monster who's been with them for years? They could just think it did it out of stupidity rather than betrayal even if they realize it was behind it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Poil posted:

Team evil might think the dwarves quickly slapped paint on the door. What's more likely, the pair of dwarves who just pulled another misdirection trick on them or the loyal (as far as they know) but mostly incompetent monster who's been with them for years? They could just think it did it out of stupidity rather than betrayal even if they realize it was behind it.

I see what you did there.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be

Raenir Salazar posted:

Even more interesting if this presents an opportunity to get Xykon in a pincer movement. If this is a unexplored dungeon then they might have a chance that while they get stuck fighting some big monsters they can ambush him from behind.

I'd love to see the Order get an ambush on a weakened Team Evil. I imagine they manage to escape, but a defeat at this point might really kick Xykon into high gear and ensure a serious final battle.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Half of Dracula posted:

I'd love to see the Order get an ambush on a weakened Team Evil. I imagine they manage to escape, but a defeat at this point might really kick Xykon into high gear and ensure a serious final battle.

Huh, Order of the Stick defeating a weakened Team Evil, but without managing to finish them off, which leads to Redcloak reconsidering Durkon's proposal and Xykon just dropping all pretenses and getting dead serious about killing that Bluepommel guy and his party, would be actually pretty neat and unexpected development.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Brainamp posted:

It being a shell game again feels weird since already went through that with girard's gate.

The gatekeeper was a rogue though. Sure it was built in honor of a STR lord but it makes perfect sense for it all to be a front and the real actual tomb (Where the biggest nastiest poo poo is) is probably hidden away.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Poil posted:

Redcloak might already be suspicious of the MitD after the sand pit incident, though. He gave at least a couple of skeptical looks back then, and the same dorf cleric that was supposedly a "second stringer" showing up again now probably isn't helping his case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Ooh, what if the biggest nastiest poo poo is the MitD's family? That'd be a twist!