Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Quizzlefish posted:

Can't destroy my primary

Yes, if they are De Jure part of your empire title you can’t spin them off. I had to conquer a second empire to get that achievement. Don’t create the second empire title and all the Kingdoms below it can be made independent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

canada jezus posted:

I’ve got a genius third in line son, what are the good ways to get rid of the first two? Or should i just switch to playing the third one on succesion?

Unlike everyone else here, I'll advise you to just inherit as the objectively worse character, because it's much more gratifying.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Veryslightlymad posted:

Unlike everyone else here, I'll advise you to just inherit as the objectively worse character, because it's much more gratifying.

I think I agree. The current ease of breeding in and maintaining the good genetic traits makes playing as an endless run of near-flawless geniuses feel samey or even unfun. You may well have a better time working around the heir's inadequacies while playing "you may be a better king, but we'll never know, because I'm the king," especially if you lean into the roleplaying.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

:yeah:

As long as your heir is part of the dynasty, it is good.
My most exciting moments in ck3 have happened with ’bad’ heirs.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

you mean some people don't play "Top to Bottom on succession" every time?

(every time you die, swap to the weakest character on the map)

now THAT is gratifying.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Veryslightlymad posted:

Another option: after you die, switch characters to the genius son and try to claw your way back to the top

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Digital Osmosis posted:

This rules. I got one yesterday I hadn't seen - I was playing a sadist and an intrigue lifestyle event (I think?) fired that let me take part in a play. I passed the two checks and got some experience... and then there was a sadistic option to force the audience and actors to repeat the play over and over again until the professional actors, exhausted, performed worse than I did. The description of the audience trying to clap more and more enthusiastically the sixth time they saw the play that night was really funny.

That's awesome. I have yet to get a sadistic heir but it seems like fun. Lots of evil daughters though.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Veryslightlymad posted:

Saaame. It is easy enough to blob into a massive empire.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

A God drat Ghost posted:

That's awesome. I have yet to get a sadistic heir but it seems like fun. Lots of evil daughters though.

I have a Sadistic and Temperate Genius Heir and I'm not really sure how to handle being virtuous and also able to kill my own kids.

Also, I had a bishop who had far too much cash, so I wanted to fabricate a hook and banish him, but he was murdered before I got the hook. When my character died and the heir took over, I went to check secrets (as I always do, I hate becoming an heir who has lovers, I break up with them), and my heir had killed the Bishop. Good job, Son, but you hosed up your inheritance.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Is it just me or are there a lot of very young children with gambling issues in this game?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

SilkyP posted:

Is it just me or are there a lot of very young children with gambling issues in this game?

No one talks about the MOBA Lootbox craze of Medieval Europe.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

OctaMurk posted:

Another option: after you die, switch characters to the genius son and try to claw your way back to the top

I wish you could choose your player heir outside of land division, just limited to somewhere the line of succession and landed.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 5, 2020

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I am having a hard time understanding what titles pass on to your player on succession and how to keep your kingdom heir to heir.

I am starting in Ireland, conquered about 6 or 7 kingdoms but the domain limit hits, gave vassals, King dies and now I am down two vassals? Can anyone give me a better understanding of the mechanics?

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Judging by the CK subreddit, I'm in the minority here, but I wish they would not have random events where you end up having sex with your granddaughter and can't say no to it. That's gonna be a reload from save for me.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

Generally i’d agree, but this is the fourth time i missed the genius heir bloodline. Anyway it worked out and i’m rolling in money now. Does anyone have advice on how to breed in a second good trait?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Crusader Kings 3: Virtual Eugenics Planning Thread

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

A God drat Ghost posted:

Judging by the CK subreddit, I'm in the minority here, but I wish they would not have random events where you end up having sex with your granddaughter and can't say no to it. That's gonna be a reload from save for me.

I... do not think I have ever seen any events like that. For the romance and seduction events you can always say no (and with special text if they're relatives).

canada jezus posted:

Generally i’d agree, but this is the fourth time i missed the genius heir bloodline. Anyway it worked out and i’m rolling in money now. Does anyone have advice on how to breed in a second good trait?

Find a spouse with said trait, marry them to your genius ruler. Cross your fingers your heir is the kid that will get both, and won't be a quick boy surrounded by beautiful, genius sisters.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

canada jezus posted:

You can search potential spouses by specific traits. Just go into the detailed search where you can stuff a key word, either "Amazonian"/"Herculean" or "Beautiful" and go ham.

Poltroon
Dec 15, 2008

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am having a hard time understanding what titles pass on to your player on succession and how to keep your kingdom heir to heir.

I am starting in Ireland, conquered about 6 or 7 kingdoms but the domain limit hits, gave vassals, King dies and now I am down two vassals? Can anyone give me a better understanding of the mechanics?

What you're experiencing is likely confederate partition, one of the default types of inheritance for most feudal starts. Confederate partition spreads titles equally among your offspring after your ruler's death: Your primary heir gets the primary, highest-ranked title, with the rest spread evenly among your children who are allowed to inherit. One thing to note is that confederate partition will also create any uncreated titles — if your ruler dies and there's a duchy (in Ireland, a Petty Kingdom) available, the duchy will be created and given to another of your children. In this case, you would have lost those counties anyway, even if you controlled them directly. A big portion of the gameplay is ensuring your chosen heir inherits all your titles to keep the realm intact.

Another thing to note is that you're only able to inherit titles and vassals at a level below your highest title. Dukes can have counts as vassals, and may have dukes as vassals after a successful war, but they will cede control of any ducal titles following their death. You will need to establish a kingdom to have ducal vassals and an empire to have kingly vassals.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

I like CharlieFoxtrot's suggesting of making it tied to character traits, so ambitious / arrogant / stubborn or whatever women in equal inheritance situations are more likely to marry matrilineally. I mean there actually is an in-character reason why they'd want that: this is a game where coming from an especially storied family means you can live longer or hold onto more land. I was going to call that mechanic unrealistic, but then I remembered I'm an American with a master's of public health and yeah, that checks out, coming from a famous family really does save lives.

I'm gonna go even simpler and say that female rulers should always try to preserve their dynasty if at all possible, especially if they're marrying some lowborn anyway. I don't think the AI necessarily needs to go to the level of the player of spreading its dynasty around, but in CK2 this is largely how it worked (as I recall) and it worked fine. Changing it makes the gameplay feel wrong in some cases, no matter whether or not Paradox is "correct".

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Broken Cog posted:

I... do not think I have ever seen any events like that. For the romance and seduction events you can always say no (and with special text if they're relatives).

Was a feast event and my character is lustful, not sure if the trait factors in though. The only options were to make her my lover or move on.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm gonna go even simpler and say that female rulers should always try to preserve their dynasty if at all possible, especially if they're marrying some lowborn anyway. I don't think the AI necessarily needs to go to the level of the player of spreading its dynasty around, but in CK2 this is largely how it worked (as I recall) and it worked fine. Changing it makes the gameplay feel wrong in some cases, no matter whether or not Paradox is "correct".

This makes sense to me and is more consistent with how the rest of the game works.

I mean - if the NPCs don't really care about their dynasty then why is it so difficult to get male rulers and heirs to marry matrilineally?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I definitely remember encountering a feast event where you only get the decision after you've already slept with someone and the decision is whether to break it off or keep doing it.

That's how I was forced to contract Lover's Pox

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

A God drat Ghost posted:

Was a feast event and my character is lustful, not sure if the trait factors in though. The only options were to make her my lover or move on.

That's why I only play on Iron Man.
Plenty of regrets, no takebacks. :getin:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

A God drat Ghost posted:

Oh yeah, I guess Lustful might actually remove some options, a lot of traits do that. Ah well.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

A God drat Ghost posted:

now you know why :chast2b:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'm gonna start training my kids wrong, as a joke.

Weembles posted:

This makes sense to me and is more consistent with how the rest of the game works.

I mean - if the NPCs don't really care about their dynasty then why is it so difficult to get male rulers and heirs to marry matrilineally?

They really, really need to fix this. I haven't experimented with female-dominated religions but it makes zero sense that even on equal, men demand a dynastically-advantageous marriage and women give no shits.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Clanpot Shake posted:

I'm gonna start training my kids wrong, as a joke.

They really, really need to fix this. I haven't experimented with female-dominated religions but it makes zero sense that even on equal, men demand a dynastically-advantageous marriage and women give no shits.

My dude just tripped and landed into feminism

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

You know what I just realized is a super weird thing to be completely missing from the game? Investiture conflicts.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PittTheElder posted:

You know what I just realized is a super weird thing to be completely missing from the game? Investiture conflicts.

Yeah I'm hoping they bring back some of the finer points of Catholicism like investiture and the college of cardinals. I feel like the new religion system is overall better, but it also means that all the religions feel a little bit more "generic", since they're all built from the same base components rather than each thing being its own bespoke custom set of systems.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they are going to flesh out all the religions.

It just probably won’t be soon considering all the other things that need fleshing out

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For such a character-driven game I'd like there to be a lot more reasons for fighting than just "more land more titles" eventually. CK2 never really got that either.

Investiture would help drive conflicts but hopefully there'd be distinct benefits too. Currently Matilda of Tuscany has absolutely no reason to stick her neck out for the Pope when she could be a loyal HRE vassal and just gobble up loser covassals left and right until she unilaterally declares herself Queen of Italy.

(also, it'd be neat if titling yourself past duke as an organized religion required some shenanigans beyond taking land and money, especially in religions with separate religious heads)

e: actually, even compared to 2, in CK3 fabricating claims is so easy that even as a feudal catholic in the smack dab middle of feudal catholicism it feels way too easy and obvious to just attack and eat people instead of dealing with intrigue and diplomacy. Marriage is for breeding supermen now, and maybe occasionally inheriting a king claim.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 5, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

Controlling your internal investiture in CKII, was an option, but I don't remember bishopric appointments being particularly important, so it wasn't really worthwhile fighting the pope over.

If they were going to introduce something like this, it'd be important to ensure that churches and monasteries are actually important landowners in your realm, so being able to appoint a friendly Bishop would be something worth upsetting the Pope over.

Edit. Adjacent to Investiture, it'd be nice if long term factions could exist on a more long term and organised basis then they do right now. You can't really have the long term feuding between the Guelphs and Ghillbellines when factions only exist short-term with a single goal.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 5, 2020

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

If it means I can fight to not have a 5 learning patriarch when my empire is filled with 20 learning county bishops then I'm all in on this.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Found what I think is a bug. The pope called a crusade, my old king paid him to gently caress off, then died. Now I'm getting a warning that my new king hasn't contributed to the crusade. I go to pay him to gently caress off a second time and there is no option to do so. I can only join with my military, which I really don't want to do given I'm a new king with a half dozen new factions I need to deal with, and the crusade is 4 years in and there's literally no land in Jerusalem that isn't occupied by my team so I can't help even if I wanted to ship my army away on an 8 month sea voyage.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Weembles posted:

If it means I can fight to not have a 5 learning patriarch when my empire is filled with 20 learning county bishops then I'm all in on this.

Yeah, you appoint your son who you specifically gave a Learning education to.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, you appoint your son who you specifically gave a Learning education to.

it'd be sweet if eventually they came up with playable theocracies/military orders, but you wouldn't play them forever, you'd get someone in the seat and just play that character, then pop back over into yourself/your heir.

It could be really fun to walk the line between being a corrupt motherfucker enriching your main playthrough line, but not being too terrible that you get murdered or tank the credibility your family is relying on. Especially in a place like Italy when republics are back. You could make playthroughs that focus way more on knifing each other and seizing offices and religious holdings back and forth. Make bishops and bankers and such important enough and fun enough to interact with and you could have a whole game where you become rich and prestigious and half the world's monarchs dance to your tune even though your family only ever technically owned three counties and a particularly well-fortified palazzo.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is there a consensus best duchy building? Or at least, are there ones that should be avoided? Right now i figure i'll get a military academy and a leisure palace.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way to deliberately tank your faiths fervor was an unreformed religion? They can't declare holy wars, and I don't think they can get the "Sinful priest" events either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah it seemed like the recommendation was to get two duchy buildings that support whatever military unit you're specializing in, and turn them into murder machines