Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Charles posted:

I didn't know they're doing Ford Utes and I don't know enough to say. It's not on their website.
However, the Pontiacs and Chevrolet SS / Caprice PPV are just rebadged Holdens.
You need a United States VIN no matter what. I don't know enough about the kit car laws to say if it's truly legal or not. Just that you have to destroy 2 cars to make one. By some of the stuff they wrote on their website it seemed like they were just VIN swapping in some cases which is murky.

Their posts on their Facebook page does say they do convert Falcon Utes (the most recent mention was last year) though I noticed that a lot of their posts are about Holdens. I really only just scanned through the page and don't know if that's indicative of recent legal trouble they're having getting them titled, if it's just not as popular, or whoever is running the Facebook page prefers posting about Holdens.

Their site does mention that they replace the firewall as part of the conversion process though I don't know if that adequately captures the VIN and could still be construed as VIN swapping. This is certainly leading down a legal rabbit hole that's difficult to navigate especially since it borderlines fraud. I suppose the most foolproof legal way to get a Levorg would be to graft the rear end onto a WRX but that is far from preferable since you're making very drastic changes to the body and potentially compromising its structural integrity. I don't know how receptive Left Hand Utes would be to providing legal advice but they could be more open to converting Levorgs assuming their process can be applied to them. Only downside to that is how much they'll charge for it and, seeing how they're selling utes from $38k to $100k+, it's not going to be cheap and probably in the realm of new premium luxury cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

large hands posted:

the birth of our second kid means its time to retire my passed-down 2001 prelude for a 4 door so the wife doesn't have the only baby hauler in the family. im picking up my 2020 wrx sport-tech in a week :cool: i'm in the vancouver/seattle climate area so i'm guessing some all seasons will be going on pretty quick, any suggestions? i usually get tires at costco.

best fuel around here is usually 91, chevron has 94 but its pricey. is 91 going to be ok?

test drove a used 2018 wrx and the clutch was pretty... different than my nicely worn in prelude's. felt like i was learning to drive manual again for the first time

I don't know what the wrx calls for but you shouldn't go lower than whatever the spec is. If your Costco gas prices are like the Portland area just get gas there, and a membership if you don't already have one.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Recommended is 93, 91 is minimum, but 91 should be fine, given that there are many WRXs in California where 91 is max available. The power ratings seem to be the same as the ones there.
Also yeah if the clutch is like my 03 was, you might get tired of traffic pretty quickly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

large hands posted:

the birth of our second kid means its time to retire my passed-down 2001 prelude for a 4 door so the wife doesn't have the only baby hauler in the family. im picking up my 2020 wrx sport-tech in a week :cool: i'm in the vancouver/seattle climate area so i'm guessing some all seasons will be going on pretty quick, any suggestions? i usually get tires at costco.

best fuel around here is usually 91, chevron has 94 but its pricey. is 91 going to be ok?

test drove a used 2018 wrx and the clutch was pretty... different than my nicely worn in prelude's. felt like i was learning to drive manual again for the first time

I can't comment specifically on a newish WRX (the only one I've driven was an 02 or 03, and it was a basketcase of a car), but I can say for sure that every car's clutch will feel very different, even if they're the same model car (for example, I've owned two 1988 Honda Accords... both felt completely different with clutch pedal feel). Just depends how they got broken in and driven, what parts have been replaced, etc.

I've driven an '01 Prelude 5 speed before, the H22 and low 1st gear combo are extremely forgiving (you can pretty much just drop the clutch at idle in 1st, it'll buck once then take off). There's also nothing like a clutch delay valve on those. The cars I've driven that do have a clutch delay are.... interesting. It was really like learning to drive manual all over again, like what you experienced with the 2018.

91 will be the best you can usually find (easily) at higher elevations. It'll do; the knock sensor will figure it out for you. In my home town, 85, 88, and 91 are the common grades, you have to really search for 93 where I grew up.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll just have to get used to the clutch, I think it would take some getting used to no matter what car I was switching to. I read that they significantly reduced the rev hang in the 2020 model so hopefully that helps.

Where I live (Vancouver Island) is basically rain all winter with maybe a couple of weeks of snow on the ground and a couple months at most where the temps are near freezing. Would something like this:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE980AS

Or

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=44YR8PSAS4XL

be suitable for commuting and a few days driving up to Whistler a year? I'm guessing actual winter/snow tires probably aren't necessary and would make the already noisy wrx experience a lot worse. If the all seasons aren't great for snow we'll stick to taking the RAV4 with blizzaks to the ski hill. Asking about those specifically because Costco Canada stocks them and they're reasonably priced.

large hands fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 29, 2020

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

I don't know what the wrx calls for but you shouldn't go lower than whatever the spec is. If your Costco gas prices are like the Portland area just get gas there, and a membership if you don't already have one.

you can go lower if it's not available. the engine will just have to relearn it's rhythm. since these things require a minimum octane to run reliably on the mechanical level. lack of oxygen at higher elevation really makes a huge difference in how 93 performs vs 91 vs 89. as long as you aren't trying to slum lord your engine with 85 on a pro map from the best cobb tuners ever in the galaxy. you don't have to worry about over combustion that will most definitely wear your mechanical compononents. over combustion being the one that is worse for the life of your components unless can possibly introduce more oxygen into the bpv that will allow the increased octane of fuel to burn without over combustion and slamming your pistons pistons into your rods into your crank into your bearings. looking for my sixxer but i can't make up anything more if i don't actually find an SVX that actually runs.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Charles posted:

Also yeah if the clutch is like my 03 was, you might get tired of traffic pretty quickly.
I think the problem is the opposite, there's now a helper spring that makes it very easy to push down but removes most of the feedback when releasing, and the actual grab point is pretty high in the travel. The spring can be removed or changed though, and there is an adjustment to the pedal position so the feel can be improved.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Munkeylord posted:

you can go lower if it's not available.

Yeah I really just meant don't buy the cheaper lower octane fuel if the most suitable/correct octane level for your car is available.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

tangy yet delightful posted:

Yeah I really just meant don't buy the cheaper lower octane fuel if the most suitable/correct octane level for your car is available.

at the end of the day. car runs on gasoline. until it doesn't

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Does the octane booster in the red bottles do anything? A friend was running it at our last track day.

Also: recommendations for some sway bars for an 05 LGT wagon? Would like something stiffer for the track. Adjustable would be good. Running Pilot Super Sports.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

large hands posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, looks like I'll just have to get used to the clutch, I think it would take some getting used to no matter what car I was switching to. I read that they significantly reduced the rev hang in the 2020 model so hopefully that helps.

Where I live (Vancouver Island) is basically rain all winter with maybe a couple of weeks of snow on the ground and a couple months at most where the temps are near freezing. Would something like this:

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE980AS

Or

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....um=44YR8PSAS4XL

be suitable for commuting and a few days driving up to Whistler a year? I'm guessing actual winter/snow tires probably aren't necessary and would make the already noisy wrx experience a lot worse. If the all seasons aren't great for snow we'll stick to taking the RAV4 with blizzaks to the ski hill. Asking about those specifically because Costco Canada stocks them and they're reasonably priced.

Are you going to be running these year round, just during winter, or just when it's going to snow/ski trips? To get the best driving experience from your WRX you should be on summer tires as much as possible, but if you don't want to deal with swapping tires for winter or having a 2nd set of wheels/tires, something like the 980AS are probably a decent year round + ski trip tire (I've used an older version of these before). They should "get by" for ski trips, but they won't inspire confidence on the snow and you still may slip-n-slide a bit in some situations if you aren't careful. Continental ExtremeContact DWS might be a bit better in snow compared to the 980AS as far as "ultra high performance all seasons" go (not sure what else is out there in this category these days).

If you're only planning on running all seasons during the winter though (as opposed to winter tires due to it being above freezing / not snowing most of the time where you live), there are all seasons that are more "snow biased" than what you linked that would be better. There's been a relatively new category of all seasons that receive the "3 peak mountain snowflake" (3PMSF, sometimes also called "severe snow service rated") certification which previously was only seen on winter tires and Nokian all seasons (the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady is one, but I believe tirerack even has a filter for this now, so put in your tire size and see what they have). 3PMSF is only earned via a snow acceleration test (as opposed to braking/turning), but still, the all seasons that earn it are generally a better choice than your typical m/s all-season in snow.

The ideal setup is summers on your main wheels and actual winter tires like Blizzaks on a 2nd set that you swap on before snow/cold systems and/or ski trips, but that requires extra storage space/time/money so it's not for everyone.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

quote:

If you're only planning on running all seasons during the winter though (as opposed to winter tires due to it being above freezing / not snowing most of the time where you live), there are all seasons that are more "snow biased" than what you linked that would be better. There's been a relatively new category of all seasons that receive the "3 peak mountain snowflake" (3PMSF, sometimes also called "severe snow service rated") certification which previously was only seen on winter tires and Nokian all seasons (the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady is one, but I believe tirerack even has a filter for this now, so put in your tire size and see what they have). 3PMSF is only earned via a snow acceleration test (as opposed to braking/turning), but still, the all seasons that earn it are generally a better choice than your typical m/s all-season in snow.

I've been a true winter tire user for a while, but they do sometimes feel like overkill for the PNW. I'm definitely interested in these new 3+ season tires (on a utility vehicle, not a sporty car), but I've read that some of them lose their "snow" rating after only a few miles -- like the Conti DWS. Do some of the other new tires not have that problem? I want to see some tire tests of new vs 15k miles and if they are still worth a drat.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Thanks, I'll be running the stock summer tires most of the year with all seasons November through march-ish.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ModClar=Premium

These were the only 3pmsf tires shown for my model, I'd have to see if there's a local place here that can get them in as shipping is crazy. If not it'll be whatever all season Costco carries that has the highest rating on tiretrack. And I'll probably stick to the Rav with winter tires for any trips to the mountains.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you go slightly different than stock sizing you might have more options (assuming you're using the same stock wheels), e.g. Michelin CrossClimate+ (a 3PMSF all season) has a 225/45R18 which is 1.2% taller and 0.7" narrower than the stock 245/40R18 size, and a 235/45R18 which is 2.3% taller and 0.3" narrower than stock. You'll need to check around to see if those sizes work fitment wise (both on the wheel and wheel well rubbing).

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've have 215/55R17 and that's about the limit stock on 2015+

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

i own every Bionicle posted:

Does the octane booster in the red bottles do anything? A friend was running it at our last track day.

Also: recommendations for some sway bars for an 05 LGT wagon? Would like something stiffer for the track. Adjustable would be good. Running Pilot Super Sports.

I don't think so? Putting in a few gallons of the 100 unleaded or whatever they have at the pumps at the track will provide some knock protection though.

As far as I know the Whiteline is the only place that makes a rear swaybar for your car and it only comes in one size (20mm adjustable). Oh, maybe avo if those are still available anywhere. There are a couple fronts because it's the same bar as the 08-10 wrx.

Up front there's a 22mm and a 24. The 22/20 combo will provide better balance, but the 24mm front will at least give more roll stiffness and keep the car flatter and the suspension and tires in a happier place. What suspension/spring rates?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Not sure of spring rates off the top of my head, but spec B Bilsteins and Spec B front springs. (Rear springs are the same spec B vs regular).

I think I saw that Cusco has a bar front and rear as well, but non-adjustable. 23 front/21 rear.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Putting a bigger sway bar on the front of a car that already has an understeer issue? No, you'll be going backwards in your car setup.

TBH Id ignore the sway bars and look at your spring rates. The Liberty chassis is on the soft side even with the Spec B springs - there a Tuned by STI spring set I cant find the rates for (they make the car 16mm lower) that doesnt destroy the ride but makes a noticable improvement, thats a good place to start.

quote:

Yes it does to some degree.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
I have the STI springs in mine and while I don't know the rates I can confirm they are firm as and the car turns pretty flat and sharp. It'll still push the front end a little on the limit though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Shop pulled my FB25 out of the outback yesterday, started pulling it apart today. Cam timing sprockets are toast. They stopped there and called me. It's bound to be worse inside. Whoever owned it prior ran it a hot minute low as hell on oil. A couple valves have absolutely no clearance either, so cam bearings are probably lightly toasted too.

So that engine is out, because it's gonna be cheaper swapping in one pulled from a wreck than fixing this one. Well gently caress.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'd appreciate any general car wash tips for a white Subaru! The paint's in great shape, as I snagged it immediately upon delivery. It'll be parked outdoors until sometime next year.

My current get-up is just 2 bucket Meguiar's Gold Class soap and NXT wax, dried w/ microfiber rug, washed at least once a month. Was thinking of upgrading to solely Meguiar's Ultimate product line, as I wasn't aware there's synergy to be had there.

Are foam cannons recommended these days? Or, is there nothing wrong with what I'm doing? I feel like having a blanket of suds on the car would really speed things up, at the very least. Springing for Meguiar's products and introducing a second bucket was as in-depth as I ever got into really pampering the paint.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Nah, you're doing good. The suds canons are more for you than the car, it's great for Instagram likes and a satisfying experience but in terms of cleaning it's not really much better than a normal soapy spray or soapy mitt and 2 bucket.

It is much quicker though as you can lay down a good layer and get to work.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I clean my car one panel at a time. I rise it off (if needed), soap it up, power wash it of, and move to the next panel. Dry with a leaf blower then by hand. Detail door jams, windows, mirrors, behind the gas cap. Then I clean tires, then wheels. Then I wax one panel at a time. Then I RainX the windshield, then vacuum the interior, then detail all of the interior panels one by one. Then clean off the floor mats.

My car washes typically take 6 hours or so. I generally break it down into two days. Exterior the first day, interior the second. Pop in some headphones and try not to rush good results.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So the squeaky sound from my clutch came back. Took it to a different dealer this time and they said it was the throw out bearing which they will replace under warranty. I'm so relieved they are, I wasn't looking forward to paying a lot for a replacement and install.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

um excuse me posted:

I clean my car one panel at a time. I rise it off (if needed), soap it up, power wash it of, and move to the next panel. Dry with a leaf blower then by hand. Detail door jams, windows, mirrors, behind the gas cap. Then I clean tires, then wheels. Then I wax one panel at a time. Then I RainX the windshield, then vacuum the interior, then detail all of the interior panels one by one. Then clean off the floor mats.

My car washes typically take 6 hours or so. I generally break it down into two days. Exterior the first day, interior the second. Pop in some headphones and try not to rush good results.

Thanks! Sounds similar to my routine, except having so much door jamb & sill to cover is taking some getting used to. I'm pretty lazy about other crevices, too, like the gas cap and trunk/license plate area. Didn't even take the plate off for the first wax... Oh god I have to start all over.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

um excuse me posted:

RainX the windshield

Does anybody have opinions on the RainX wipers?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They're on sale a lot so I get them. Indifferent about them. They work for about 8 months or so, but it's entirely up to how often you use them. I generally use wipers less than everyone else since I treat the windshield.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I was just hoping I could rely on them instead of having to treat the windshield. :v:

Which reminds me, that's something I need to do plus the headlights.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of detailing. I think my front bumper cover is done on my WRX. It's 6 years old and is full of rock chips, scratches, cracked paint, and even part of the grill is damaged from what looks like some sort of impact I don't remember. What are the aftermarket options out there? I'd like to explore what's available. Also, do the refreshed bumpers fit on the original 2015 car?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I'm going to check out a (JDM) 3rd gen. STI hatchback tomorrow. I've been lusting after them for quite a while now but I have yet to actually get inside one and fully check it out. Unfortunately I'm probably not gonna buy it yet but it's one step closer to getting away from my rapidly disintegrating BMW and getting back to good old Subaru problems.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

I'm going to check out a (JDM) 3rd gen. STI hatchback tomorrow. I've been lusting after them for quite a while now but I have yet to actually get inside one and fully check it out. Unfortunately I'm probably not gonna buy it yet but it's one step closer to getting away from my rapidly disintegrating BMW and getting back to good old Subaru problems.

I didn't have a lot of faith in this car before I went to see it because it had a dubious carbon fibre hood on it, but it turned out it was a single owner car with a full history of dealer services and otherwise super clean. It was completely stock apart from the hood and a dealer option STI tower bar. I think I could probably search the whole of Japan and struggle to find another STI that's been given that much care and attention, so I probably am gonna buy it if the finances come together.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Anybody have the backseat cover thing for doggy in an Impreza / Crosstrek? Did you install it yourself? Is it difficult at all? Dealer markup was $100 for install hehe

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Charles posted:

Anybody have the backseat cover thing for doggy in an Impreza / Crosstrek? Did you install it yourself? Is it difficult at all? Dealer markup was $100 for install hehe

Nah my wife has the cheap knockoff pet seat cover that essentially turns the backseat into a hammock by clipping to the front and back headrests, but can be installed backwards over the cargo area just as effectively, and folds up when not needed.

It's like $20-50 online, and I'm not spending much more than that on something intentionally keeping dog fluids off our seats.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Wasabi the J posted:

Nah my wife has the cheap knockoff pet seat cover that essentially turns the backseat into a hammock by clipping to the front and back headrests, but can be installed backwards over the cargo area just as effectively, and folds up when not needed.

It's like $20-50 online, and I'm not spending much more than that on something intentionally keeping dog fluids off our seats.

Yeah I think they sell those at Costco sometimes. I do transport a lot of foster animals so I thought it might be worth checking out.

Munkeylord
Jun 21, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I didn't have a lot of faith in this car before I went to see it because it had a dubious carbon fibre hood on it, but it turned out it was a single owner car with a full history of dealer services and otherwise super clean. It was completely stock apart from the hood and a dealer option STI tower bar. I think I could probably search the whole of Japan and struggle to find another STI that's been given that much care and attention, so I probably am gonna buy it if the finances come together.

completely stock you say? you should buy that. I will say it took me 3 years to find an 05 stock STI. which has the engine completely apart by the way. but you will never find another gemstone like that if that's what you really want to invest in.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Charles posted:

Yeah I think they sell those at Costco sometimes. I do transport a lot of foster animals so I thought it might be worth checking out.

Oh it is! I just like to remind people a dog can have a loose diarrhea poo poo in it so don't go too fancy.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

If anyone needs 4 pot STI front calipers, Rockauto has rebuilt, unpainted, Powerstop for $180 each. Part # L3698 & L3699.

picked up a set and rotors for my leggy

marumaru
May 20, 2013

any advice on possibly getting a 2011 hatchback WRX with 78,000km on it?
there's a few aesthetic things to fix but the price makes up for that part at least.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I’ve got about 15,000 miles on my tires and had a small accident where insurance is replacing one of my tires. Dealership says I should replace the other three. They are the OEM bridgestones or whatever. How important is this? I’m kinda strapped for a bit, cash wise.

EDIT: sorry, it’s a 2016 Sti

Wonderllama fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's important enough to do all at once. Tires are cheaper than diffs, after all. You can drive on slightly off sized tires for a bit, but you should still treat it like you're driving on a donut.

Maybe call some used tire shops and ask what they have. You don't necessarily need to buy OEM spec tires, either, if there's something close that would fit. Within 10mm of width and 5% of aspect ratio should be fine, but your speedo might be a little off after. (This is more like, if you plan to replace the full set and Kumhos or whatever are cheaper but closely sized).

Call the insurance company and explain why you need all 4 replaced, in order to prevent future damages and possible claims or some poo poo. If it's the other persons' insurance, raise hell until they replace all 4.

Oh, STI, yeah. Those are not cheap tires.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 6, 2020