Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The trove is just a bunch of stuff ripped from the collections (also called troves) of the 4chan piracy crowd, who get really upset about it, which is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

Specifically towards The Trove, playing it off as an "archive" strikes me as trying to apply an intellectual sheen on really being a dumping-ground for PDFs to get stuff for free.
You're not wrong, but a big dumping ground of pirated poo poo can also become an archive of a sort, regardless of their sincerity.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Elendil004 posted:

You mentioned it, and the Lancer guys mentioned it but what was the offending bad copy on the site?

"
© 2015-2020 TheTrove.is. All rights reserved. Yar har fiddle-dee-dee.
"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dwarf74 posted:

You're not wrong, but a big dumping ground of pirated poo poo can also become an archive of a sort, regardless of their sincerity.

Well...no, not really. An archive is a specific thing, and as Hedningen says, it’s a lot more work. I’ve got an MLS and I’d love to see an actual archive for this stuff! I’d love to work in one!

The Trove is not one at all, it doesn’t even do the most basic work to be one even considering the limitations of file sharing sites.

E: basically the pretense of being an archive is a fig leaf, and a bad one. It’s a false argument. If you want to argue the Trove should exist, you have to argue for it knowing it’s a pirate file server. Maybe it should, maybe it shouldn’t - I’m personally not mad that it exists, myself. But it is not an archive, and pretending it is helps no one. If you want to argue we should have actual archives: yes, I agree. Those need funding and space and useful archival description and are more than simply “here, have files!” They take a lot of work and setting one up is a huge endeavor that is unrelated to this entire debate.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Sep 29, 2020

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

so it has to be re-explained and re-tackled, except in this iteration we do it through twitter threads and hour-long youtube videos instead of blogspot.com

I'd argue we've basically taken a step back. Twitter and hour-long YouTube videos are poorly suited to discovery and reference. Blogspot.com, for all its flaws, was fundamentally suited for the task of publishing essays on design and storing knowledge and good practices in general. The current Twitter/Discord environment is probably the least healthy the community has ever been, yet we're also seeing a boom of new ideas and interest in the indie scene in spite of that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The word "archive" has a particular meaning to researchers and librarians that is more specific and definite. It is also used colloquially and in the colloquial sense, any information repository intended to be a long-term store of content can reasonably be called an archive, and it's OK for people to use that word that way too.

LatwPIAT posted:

I'd argue we've basically taken a step back. Twitter and hour-long YouTube videos are poorly suited to discovery and reference. Blogspot.com, for all its flaws, was fundamentally suited for the task of publishing essays on design and storing knowledge and good practices in general. The current Twitter/Discord environment is probably the least healthy the community has ever been, yet we're also seeing a boom of new ideas and interest in the indie scene in spite of that.

Indexing and search are a huge problem when it comes to a/v content but it's slowly coming along, things like tagging and metadata can help and I suspect in the next 10 years, automation of metadata from video that contains text or language in it may get here. That's still probably not going to be as good as intentional archival by an archivist that includes standardized metadata and categorization etc. and I agree that RPGs as a cultural phenomenon are deserving of academic study and proper treatment and preservation.

I feel like that sort of respect happened for example to comic books starting around the 1990s or so, maybe slightly earlier, as the art world started taking them seriously as a medium worthy of respect etc., and I wonder if a similar timeline is going to unfold with RPGs... which would mean something like 50+ years have to pass since they became popular, before academics across the board accept them as worthy etc.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
My 2¢: While the Trove was obviously created for :filez: and not to be an archive, it's also the only place I've been able to reliably find PDFs of a fair bit of out-of-print stuff like WEG Ghostbusters that are still technically :filez: because somebody owns the rights but has zero interest in reprinting them, or things like Palladium TMNT that are literally impossible to get legally outside of used copies because of rights issues.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 29, 2020

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

My take on the matter is that if the Trove is dumb enough to publicly broadcast on Twitter and try passing the hat around for donations, they're going to get smacked down and I'm not going to feel bad about it.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

LatwPIAT posted:

I hate this trend in everything. You know the nice thing about a book or even a text essay? You can leave it open next to you as you're working. Instead now we have youtube tutorials that you have to keep going back thirty seconds to work out how something fits or where you're looking next or whatever and god help you if you missed it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

spectralent posted:

I hate this trend in everything. You know the nice thing about a book or even a text essay? You can leave it open next to you as you're working. Instead now we have youtube tutorials that you have to keep going back thirty seconds to work out how something fits or where you're looking next or whatever and god help you if you missed it.
Our school made videos on how to set up student accounts for remote learning and I wanted to throw something.

Like.... Give me text, please.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

dwarf74 posted:

Our school made videos on how to set up student accounts for remote learning and I wanted to throw something.

Like.... Give me text, please.

I'm 100% sure it's because videos are easier to half rear end. Turn on camera, talk for fifteen minutes, DONE.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

I hate the move to Discord for the same reason. I joined a trad games one when it looked like Lotax was going to take SA down with him and it's just exhausting to follow something like that without checking it constantly. I love that I can not get around to checking a forum for a few days and it's easy to catch up. Sure I risk some ability to join the discussion, but at least I don't have trouble catching up with it and reading what I missed out on and stuff.

I don't think chat apps and other ephemera are bad, but I hate that they seem to be increasingly all we have.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ultiville posted:

I hate the move to Discord for the same reason. I joined a trad games one when it looked like Lotax was going to take SA down with him and it's just exhausting to follow something like that without checking it constantly. I love that I can not get around to checking a forum for a few days and it's easy to catch up. Sure I risk some ability to join the discussion, but at least I don't have trouble catching up with it and reading what I missed out on and stuff.

I don't think chat apps and other ephemera are bad, but I hate that they seem to be increasingly all we have.

Discord users are especially bad since they were born without the ability to scroll up, so the only conversation happening is the only conversation that has ever happened. Once it scrolls off the page baby it's gone.

The only way to combat it with subdividing channels aggressively, but then you end up with 100 niche channels.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Discord is awful at everything except live chat.

God, imagine if SA had been some weird hacked-together thing powered by radium's finest IRC bots.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Discord users are especially bad since they were born without the ability to scroll up, so the only conversation happening is the only conversation that has ever happened. Once it scrolls off the page baby it's gone.

The only way to combat it with subdividing channels aggressively, but then you end up with 100 niche channels.

Discord itself seems to want to discourage scrolling up sometimes.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Tsilkani posted:

Discord itself seems to want to discourage scrolling up sometimes.

Unless I'm missing something, getting back to something older than a couple of days ago in any Discord channel is a nightmare. This seems to be a trend in modern web architecture, mirrored to one degree or another in places like Patreon, Twitter or Facebook. Using a date is forbidden, time can only be measured relative to right now. I hate it.

EverettLO fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 30, 2020

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm still waiting for the ability to automatically save local plaintext logs.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

EverettLO posted:

Unless I'm missing something, getting back to something older than a couple of days ago in any Discord channel is a nightmare.

The search feature on Discord can be helpful for finding past conversations topics. Not perfect but you can at least sort by time, or in a particular date range, or by a particular poster, etc. Doesn't really help if you just want to read stuff, though. (Although megathreads on forums aren't always great to search through either.)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Discord's search function is 1000% better than SA's.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Azran posted:

Yeah SA's is so bad I usually use google and just add site:forums.somethingawful.com to my query

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Azran posted:

I have rancid farts that are better then that, it is not any great achivement.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

You're not giving it enough credit. You can search by poster, by date, by whether or not therer was a linkr or an image attached. You have a lot of options to find something you half-remember someone mentioning at some point. Or even just a topic.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

paradoxGentleman posted:

You're not giving it enough credit. You can search by poster, by date, by whether or not therer was a linkr or an image attached. You have a lot of options to find something you half-remember someone mentioning at some point. Or even just a topic.

The display UI is also really good, since it shows you a bit of context and then you can very quickly jump to that point in the conversation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It also actually does exact search, unlike Discord's search.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Yeah you're not meant to 'catch up' on Discord any more than you're meant to 'catch up' on IRC or on a chatroom, it's designed for live communication and not drawn out discussions. It's not a replacement for forums, it's a complement to them.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah but even for stream-of-content sorts of things like discord, IRC, Twitter, FB feed, it's really nice to be able to say "I saw a thing about..." and find it again without reading tons of scrollback in every channel. Search for recall is different from search for discovery, which only browsers and some search engines seem to have realized.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

bewilderment posted:

Yeah you're not meant to 'catch up' on Discord any more than you're meant to 'catch up' on IRC or on a chatroom, it's designed for live communication and not drawn out discussions. It's not a replacement for forums, it's a complement to them.

Of course, but when it looked like everyone was jumping ship from SA, the only reasonable stuff I saw was Discords. I might have missed a good forum link but it seemed like there was like one and a lot of folks said it was run by also bad folks. Similarly all the stream communities I’ve encountered are on Discord, when I’d prefer forums.

Discord isn’t a forum replacement functionally but it seems like it’s still taking up a lot of the space. Not the program’s fault but I still don’t love it.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

That's pretty much due to a lack of alternative options, though. Forums are custom hosted software, after all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They don’t have to be. There are a few turnkey forum SaaS products out there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
It's trivially easier to set up a discord server versus a forum though and as long as a person is registered on discord there's no need to juggle an extra log in.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ultiville posted:

Of course, but when it looked like everyone was jumping ship from SA, the only reasonable stuff I saw was Discords. I might have missed a good forum link but it seemed like there was like one and a lot of folks said it was run by also bad folks.

There were like four different lifeboat forums (as in running actual forums software) that I'm aware of, and I wasn't following events particularly closely.

Discord is great as a general chat tool but, uh, not that great for things like megathreads, effortposts, reviews, LP's, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xelkelvos posted:

It's trivially easier to set up a discord server versus a forum though and as long as a person is registered on discord there's no need to juggle an extra log in.

I’m not saying otherwise, just that running a forum doesn’t necessarily involve hosting custom software. Discord can be used as a login for forums that support it too (Discourse is one such, I believe).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
https://twitter.com/BrainClouds/status/1313109953989816323?s=20

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

this is the guy who got booted off rpg.net for literally trying to cast a black magic spell on the moderators, isn’t it?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

I get why people share stuff like that but it seems like they're far more likely to introduce some shithead hate-following them to a fellow shithead than they are to "educate" any of their audience that, actually, this rando RPG writer that no one's heard of except other shitheads is a shithead.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
He's got his corner of the OSR now, with megadungeon kickstarters and lovely people getting upset when their promotion of him is criticised by those drat political sjws.

He can gently caress right off.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Venger As'Nas Satanis is not a real name

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Comrade Koba posted:

this is the guy who got booted off rpg.net for literally trying to cast a black magic spell on the moderators, isn’t it?

And that was like 20 years ago, I have no idea how anyone takes this dude remotely seriously.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The middle name is new. A while back he claimed to be going through a racial awakening but the race was like a Deep One or something.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

He's got his corner of the OSR now, with megadungeon kickstarters and lovely people getting upset when their promotion of him is criticised by those drat political sjws.

He can gently caress right off.

Don’t forget ‘hilarious’ and ‘sexy’ games like THOT Patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Also known to mortals as "Darrick Dishaw".

Comrade Koba posted:

The one and only. He once published a "Cult of Cthulhu Bible" that had passages plagiarized from Wikipedia. He publishes bad RPGs and complains about people talking him to task for his misogyny and being the kind of guy who really, really wants to be the leader of a sex cult.