Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What did they do to her that would make her never want to be in another game?

Creepy whizzard stuff?

As part of the game's development they did a high-res laser scan of her to make her character model.

They then decided it would be cool and good to edit it to be naked, and jerk off to it.

e: lol the wiki page mentions this:

quote:

Immediately after the game was released, nude images of Jodie (actress Ellen Page) surfaced on the Reddit online community. Jodie appears nude in a shower scene in the game, but is not fully visible. Industry analysts deduced that a person in possession of a developer PlayStation 3 that allowed quality assurance features such as "free camera" mode had created and uploaded the images. Sony immediately took steps to remove them, asking for the community's assistance. They explained that the images were of a digital model and not of Page, who had a "no nudity" policy. The images were removed from the website.[33]

But there was definitely talk that the actual devs were being Real loving Gross behind the scenes too and that's nowhere to be found, hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

ooh 10% of the profits, be still my heart!

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Serf posted:

What's your suggestion, everyone involved in the process be compensated equally, totalling 100% of the profits? What about shareholders? Reinvestment is actually borderline okay given the society companies exist in.

Serf
May 5, 2011

BonHair posted:

What's your suggestion, everyone involved in the process be compensated equally, totalling 100% of the profits? What about shareholders? Reinvestment is actually borderline okay given the society companies exist in.

marching up to the executive offices and putting them to the sword. wait until there's a shareholder meeting and get them too

necroid
May 14, 2009

Serf posted:

lol dunno what to say man, in an industry where crunch is normal and unpaid more often than not this comes as a pretty nice gesture

the witcher 3 sold 4 million copies in the first 2 weeks

how much does a game cost nowadays? $60? $70? let's say $60*4 millions equals 240 million dollars, that's 24 million dollars to compensate 1100+ employees for their crunch hours

that's about $22k per employee, it's certainly more than any other dev that I know of

they aren't smashing capitalism but at least they aren't being ghoulish developers like 90% of the big name studios out there?

e : also if that 10% is calculated on CDPR's total 2020 revenue and not just out of Cyberpunk 2077 sales the numbers would be much higher than that

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

necroid posted:

lol dunno what to say man, in an industry where crunch is normal and unpaid more often than not this comes as a pretty nice gesture

how much does a game cost nowadays? $60? $70? let's say $60*4 millions equals 240 million dollars, that's 24 million dollars to compensate 1100+ employees for their crunch hours

that's about $22k per employee, it's certainly more than any other dev that I know of

they aren't smashing capitalism but at least they aren't being ghoulish developers like 90% of the big name studios out there?

e : also if that 10% is calculated on CDPR's total 2020 revenue and not just out of Cyberpunk 2077 sales the numbers would be much higher than that

I assume by profit they meant net income, not gross.

Serf
May 5, 2011

necroid posted:

10% is an insult. the fact that its better than what others do should just make everyone even more pissed

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

profit is not revenue

necroid
May 14, 2009

Serf posted:

10% is an insult. the fact that its better than what others do should just make everyone even more pissed

lmao ok

also yeah sorry for using random terms interchangeably, CDPR dude said "10% of the annual profit our company generates in 2020"

e : if anyone wants to crunch hypothetical numbers here's their financial summary report

necroid has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Oct 5, 2020

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
The people who made the actualt thing should get 10% of the profits. This is very fair

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Although I know it can be normal for bonuses etc this is worse than paying commission b/c

the game has to sell above its costs, debts, etc. Even the overtime some employees may have gotten during the 60 hour/week crunch will now be counted against profits. If this game doesn't sell above cost in whatever accounting year they use, they will get nothing right?

but why? they did the work either way, if they deserve a bonus then pay it. Let their bonus be 20k, great, and make it a cost of forcing a grueling work schedule that keeps people from their families

edit: if you think cutting workers in on their own exploitation w/o giving them any power or say in the matter is good well, OK, but that's not left wing politics that's like libertarian solutions to criticism

of course I'm still in favor of paying more, but how many of these people got overtime at all for 20 extra hours a week? this is stealing 40k of labor per working and giving a conditional 2 or 3k back (depending on how profits are accounted)

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Oct 5, 2020

Serf
May 5, 2011

Antonymous posted:

Although I know it can be normal for bonuses etc this is worse than paying commission b/c

the game has to sell above its costs, debts, etc. Even the overtime some employees may have gotten during the 60 hour/week crunch will now be counted against profits. If this game doesn't sell above cost in whatever accounting year they use, they will get nothing right?

but why? they did the work either way, if they deserve a bonus then pay it. Let their bonus be 20k, great, and make it a cost of forcing a grueling work schedule that keeps people from their families

edit: if you think cutting workers in on their own exploitation w/o giving them any power or say in the matter is good well, OK

because they have no respect for the workers and know that they hold all the power. and they know that the brainless hordes of gamer chuds will defend their decisions because all that matters is getting their shiny new toy

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

that's what I see happening yah

necroid
May 14, 2009

Serf posted:

because they have no respect for the workers and know that they hold all the power. and they know that the brainless hordes of gamer chuds will defend their decisions because all that matters is getting their shiny new toy

lol I understand that you're speaking in broad terms, and since a developer like CDPR exists in a capitalist system it's pretty far fetched to think that they'd be the one to single-handedly overturn capitalist industry standards out of nowhere

as for the "they have no respect for the workers" I have a feeling that you're either generalizing or you're meaning it in a capital/labor dialectic

as far as I know (an ex co-worker works there) they are really good devs that don't starve their employees, as opposed to the great majority of the entertainment industry

isn't it a bit quixotic to rant and rave against them for doing something nicer compared to the rest of the industry? you're raging as if every developer was struggling to overthrow capitalism. they aren't. none of them are. not even trying.

when I see nicer practices like these I can't help but hope that more developers will follow the example. I've been working in the CG industry for ~10 years now as a freelancer and I've seen terrible behaviours from clients and colleagues alike.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

necroid posted:

I think I read just this morning the title of an article which reported that CDPR is going to give 10% of the sales revenue to everyone doing crunch, I don't know how many other developers would do such a thing

Fun idea: he mentioned it (completely unrelated to the crunch) so more people are going to buy it because that would grow the overall pot of the 10%.

That said, I know that 90% of videogame buyers are entirely ignorant towards the business side anyways.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
the Witcher Dems are notorius for being lovely so much so they puplically said they wouldn’t do crunch time for the publicity.

there is also evidence they lied and have been doing crunch time basically the whole time.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

wouldn't 10% of net profit split between 1100 people be like $20

edit: nvm dumb

boar guy has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Oct 5, 2020

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

necroid posted:

I just checked

https://twitter.com/AdamBadowski/status/1311245204356304896/photo/1

with a reported number of 1100+ employees 10% of the annual profit doesn't sound too bad

generally speaking CDPR is one of the least lovely big name devs, but yeah it's always fun when gamers are quick to ignore/forgive/forget bad practices as long as they get to play their games

If by "well compensated" they mean "get overtime pay" then it's crunch but at least different from grinding a 30k/year salary exempt person to dust

Serf
May 5, 2011

necroid posted:

lol I understand that you're speaking in broad terms, and since a developer like CDPR exists in a capitalist system it's pretty far fetched to think that they'd be the one to single-handedly overturn capitalist industry standards out of nowhere
i'm saying that their workers should realize that they're being hosed over and this should be a radicalizing moment for lots more people. instead, people are sucking cdpr's cock while they work their people to the bone

necroid posted:

as for the "they have no respect for the workers" I have a feeling that you're either generalizing or you're meaning it in a capital/labor dialectic
no employer can have any respect for their workers while they continue to steal their labor

necroid posted:

as far as I know (an ex co-worker works there) they are really good devs that don't starve their employees, as opposed to the great majority of the entertainment industry
sorry i don't believe your uncle that works for nintendo lol

necroid posted:

isn't it a bit quixotic to rant and rave against them for doing something nicer compared to the rest of the industry? you're raging as if every developer was struggling to overthrow capitalism. they aren't. none of them are. not even trying.
i think i'm expressing a righteous anger, but if you see it as ranting and raving, then i guess we know which side you're on

necroid posted:

when I see nicer practices like these I can't help but hope that more developers will follow the example. I've been working in the CG industry for ~10 years now as a freelancer and I've seen terrible behaviours from clients and colleagues alike.
10% is an insult. it should serve to highlight just how uneven the distribution of power is in this economic arrangement. and the people who aren't getting 10% should realize they're being even more hosed

necroid
May 14, 2009

ok

(btw my ex co-worker really works there, believe it or not)

e :

Serf posted:

and the people who aren't getting 10% should realize they're being even more hosed

we're all getting hosed constantly in this industry and we all know it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

the Witcher Dems are notorius for being lovely so much so they puplically said they wouldn’t do crunch time for the publicity.

there is also evidence they lied and have been doing crunch time basically the whole time.

goddammit, first we had Harry Potter liberals and now we have to deal with Witcher Dems? Pop culture was a mistake

Serf
May 5, 2011

necroid posted:

ok

(btw my ex co-worker really works there, believe it or not)
cool argument

also lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-e46xdcUo

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

goddammit, first we had Harry Potter liberals and now we have to deal with Witcher Dems? Pop culture was a mistake

watch it Jack, i'm the butcher of bluh, uh...

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I put Devs.

Dems isn’t a word why would it autocorrect to that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
toss a coin to your Witcher devs....

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Generous owners doing the right thing by only keeping 90% of the net profit.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

necroid posted:

I think I read just this morning the title of an article which reported that CDPR is going to give 10% of the sales revenue to everyone doing crunch, I don't know how many other developers would do such a thing

Poland has actual labour laws so CDPR legally can't have their employees work more than 8 hours of overtime per week or more than 150 hours of overtime per year. Of course, the situation is probably that the programmers are forced to work more than that amount of overtime and they get fired if they complain.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
lol 10% of the profit. Reminder that David Prowse (the guy in the actual darth vader suit in the original movies) never got a loving penny because "Star Wars hasn't made a profit yet"

necroid
May 14, 2009

Chamale posted:

Poland has actual labour laws so CDPR legally can't have their employees work more than 8 hours of overtime per week or more than 150 hours of overtime per year. Of course, the situation is probably that the programmers are forced to work more than that amount of overtime and they get fired if they complain.

absolutely and my point wasn't to defend the honourable dev's reputation at all costs. it might be a publicity stunt, it might be meant to garner sympathy, but in my experience as a freelancer something like this wouldn't make me want to blow my brains out every night morning when I go home.

crunch is everywhere in the entertainment industry. it might be the studio trying to cut costs while increasing profits, it might be the incompetent project manager's fault, it might even be due to an accident that has hosed up the production schedule. I've seen and done all kinds of crunch in this field and it's so deeply rooted that when I see someone actually paying overtime and (maybe) rewarding crunch I can't help but feel a little bit better for whoever's working.

I can't see the entertainment industry changing this way of working anytime soon, and it feels a bit idealistic to call for the profits to go straight to the workers in this state, without sweeping revolutionary changes to the economic and social structure containing this and other, more vital industries.

I understand the righteous anger, like I understand it for other industries outside of my personal experience.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
you don't have to stan for CDPR but you don't need to make up horror stories. Just say "crunch time is an industry cancer, nothing make its right other then full ownership by the labor" and leave it. 10% of profits is nice when compared to nothing but if you've been waterboarded for several weeks getting to stay in a luxury hotel for a while isn't going to make up for the horrible experience.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Imagine trying to defend your videogames gulag in cspam lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

pentyne posted:

nothing make its right other then full ownership by the labor

I don't think that malkes it right either tbh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Chamale posted:

So moving to 6 day schedules means that they're hitting that 8 hours of overtime/week. Theres no exempt scam here that companies like EA/Activision/Rockstar use to not pay for crunch.

The "10% annual profit" line is alluding to an existing bonus plan. Unless we can find what the previous payouts were or what the actual contracts say then its not worth much to speculate. An additional barrier to all this is that I'd assume all their accounting and legal is in Polish so most sources are going to be through at least one translation and then bungled by reporters.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
uhhh I don't see anything that says that the 10% profit-sharing is a special reward for crunch time

the statement implies that it's a normal thing that the company has been doing for several years

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Main Paineframe posted:

uhhh I don't see anything that says that the 10% profit-sharing is a special reward for crunch time

the statement implies that it's a normal thing that the company has been doing for several years

Yes. Also not implied, but clearly written.

It's entirely unrelated, but he achieved his goal, people are distracted by that 10% and wether it's really good or not.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

it would seem that if you gave a friend that works there that would have come up

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What did they do to her that would make her never want to be in another game?

Creepy whizzard stuff?

It's goon invention, don't believe everything you read on the forums.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The 10% number is far, far less meaningful then the actual amount per employe each yeah.

10% just means of whatever value they denote as the "profit" and if anything that number could be reported as 0 or less then 0 despite actual reality via Hollywood accounting.

If every crunch time employee was getting 1/2 their annual salary as a bonus that is good, also assuming their annual salary is a fair wage.

Cdpr doesn't have to say any of that poo poo because all the competition in that space is universally "crunch time or you're fired this is the way it works bitch" and regularly inflicts PTSD on employees and threatens them with ndas.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Fame Douglas posted:

It's goon invention, don't believe everything you read on the forums.

what it’s not a goon invention them being really creepy to her did happen.

why are all these weirdos jumping out of the woodwork to defend game companies honor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

what it’s not a goon invention them being really creepy to her did happen.

why are all these weirdos jumping out of the woodwork to defend game companies honor

Did it really happen? Doesn't seem to be true, either.