Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

8 years of mocap and millions of dollars wasted and the death animations are still no better than the ones in Goldeneye 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

How long have you really waited? posted:

If you check my citizen dossier, it shows I enlisted in September 13th, 2012. So, based on that date, I've been waiting for eight years.

The reality is quite a bit different. I'm a bit like Chris, and probably many of you, in a way. When I was a kid I fell in love with sci-fi. I saw things like StarWars and dreamed of flying among the stars and living on a spaceship and having epic adventures. As I got older, along came computers and with them, video games. The possibilities seemed endless. I played every space flight game I could get my hands on. I spent countless hours playing and replaying things like X-wing vs TIE Fighter, Freespace2, Tachyon: the Fringe, the Wing Commander series and Freelancer and Starlancer. I watched FPS shooters become more and more popular and common, while space sims became less so. For years it was all but impossible to find a decent space flight game, and I kept going back to those old classics, hoping someday someone would make the game I wanted; that would let me live among the stars and be the captain of my own spaceship.

When I stumbles upon the RSI website right years ago, I was f'ing elated. Finally, finally, someone was trying to make what I'd wanted for so long. And not just any someone, but Chris freakin' Roberts! The same guy whose Wing Commander games had been so awesome back in the day. I couldn't pledge fast enough (I'd have a four digit ID if I hadn't had to wait for payday to make my pledge, lol).

So, anytime I start to get salty about the delays or disappointed about features being removed from patches I just remind myself that I haven't been waiting on this game for eight years, but more like thirty-five. The difference in the last eight is that I've actually had authentic hope that it might finally happen. And when I get annoyed with the lack of communication from CIG I try to remember that before they started working on this dream of mine, I had no hope at all that it would happen.

The point of all this isn't to excuse CIG's shortcomings, and I'm not a white knight for the project, but instead to offer some perspective that has helped me manage my impatience and temper my optimism with some realism.

I'm the end, this project could still not succeed. But, even if that happens, the last eight years have been better than the twenty-five plus that proceeded them, because at least there was a chance, where before there never really had been.

So, I encourage my fellow backers to keep the faith, even as we hold the devs accountable and make our demands and spew our salt all over Spectrum and debate ideas and speculate on what might be next.

Good luck to us and good luck to CIG. I hope to see us all in the 'verse someday.

quote:

All you kids get in line, I was 7 years old in 1977 when Star Wars came out, I've been waiting 43 years and I'm looking forward to being in this universe for the next 40-50 years with the friends I've made over the past 5 since I joined up. Good post!

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
Thread is depressing.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Thread is depressing.

Sounds like you need the luxurious surroundings of an Idris my friend

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
kinda makes sense that the people expecting to play star citizen for the next 20 years are the same people who haven't played a video game since wing commander 3.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Thread is depressing.

Do you feel hollow, like death?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/KOvWs7r.mp4

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Boom shakalaka!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

downout posted:

I get this really well. I'm not super interested in space sims, but I did love the hell out of LOTR2. Pretty basic medieval sim type game from the ~90s. I somehow randomly ran across Bannerlord 2, and omg that game triggered so much nostalgia. For me it was like LOTR2, but now I can manage a town and an army, and actually lead it! How the hell has no one done something this good with space sims?

Bannerlord's studio has it's own issues, but there is a game. It's deep and unique. It shreds anything CIG can squeeze out.

edit: I don't think if I played any real space sims mostly cuz I think we couldn't afford the card at the time. But I'm glad the sw squadrons release is good. Definitely makes me want to try it.

Don't worry about finding a good space sim. Even the way of them are only kind of good and fun. They get better the more arcade they get. But an actual sim can be boring unless it has some other magic to it. Like in Kerbal at least you can also build ships to blow up on the pad and make insane.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

such grace, skill, and power. an apex predator doing what it was born to do. reminds me of Chris roberts crafting the perfect space sim

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
love to see large catte having fun

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
just remember... if that cat could post on the internet, it'd probably say something racist.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Cyberpunk looking good

https://v.redd.it/nrgaidh88br51/DASH_480.mp4

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
bet you that bartender is floating a foot off the ground back there

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

trucutru posted:

Maybe the teleporting elevators teleport you into a regular elevator. Have you guys considered that possibility?

Maybe all elevators should have teleporters as emergency exits for when they go floating off into oblivion. Might be easier to do than the panel re-work.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

DigitalPenny posted:

Maybe all elevators should have teleporters as emergency exits for when they go floating off into oblivion. Might be easier to do than the panel re-work.

well that'd be awesome, semi-original and actually scifi so Crobbler will never do it.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

downout posted:

I get this really well. I'm not super interested in space sims, but I did love the hell out of LOTR2. Pretty basic medieval sim type game from the ~90s. I somehow randomly ran across Bannerlord 2, and omg that game triggered so much nostalgia. For me it was like LOTR2, but now I can manage a town and an army, and actually lead it! How the hell has no one done something this good with space sims?

Bannerlord's studio has it's own issues, but there is a game. It's deep and unique. It shreds anything CIG can squeeze out.

edit: I don't think if I played any real space sims mostly cuz I think we couldn't afford the card at the time. But I'm glad the sw squadrons release is good. Definitely makes me want to try it.

Star point Gemini 3 does an Arcady bannerlord in space ... It's much more approachable than somethingike X4. It was still being developed when I played it a while back and needed plenty of fixing so maybe do some research before diving on in.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Just got on the company charter jet to go to our project site for the first time, manged to spill coffee down my shirt. gently caress I can be useless.

It's the middle of nowhere in northern territory so maybe I can pass off that I wrestled a croc with my morning latte.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Starsector is the best M&B in space game.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm the players face snapping from 'mouth agape' mode to 'scripted mocap mode' and then back once the animation is finished

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mirificus posted:

And not just any someone, but Chris freakin' Roberts! The same guy whose Wing Commander games had been so awesome back in the day.

I really hate this auture theory bullshit where all credit gets ascribed to one man who's name was on the box, and all the other people who worked with him and made poo poo work get completely erased.

Roberts didn't even work on Wing Commander 2 right? Lmao. This is some Trump stuff right here.

Even ignoring the animations, that hair does not remotely fit that head. It looks so bad.

Seriously that looks exactly like Fallout 4. The AAAA MMO has graphics comparable to something from 5 years ago.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Dwesa posted:

Maybe procedural salads are next?
Well they did procedural fried eggs already, for that canteen scene they've worked on for 3 years

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Lol great stuff. Remember when all of those Citizens said hunger and thirst meters would be fun because the eating and drinking animation would be amazingly fidelitous?

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 5, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dwesa posted:

Apollo Space Program of game development, lmao

Apollo program started in 1961 and landed first man on the Moon in 8 years. What did SC achieve after 8 years?

Turbulent, some kind of aggressive marketing company, may be converted into a video game studio because they are far better at marketing the video game than the guys actually making the video game, and it looks like everybody thinks they should just do it themselves now.

That's kind of an achievement.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm so excited for Cyberpunk to set this game back another 15 years lol

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

UnknownTarget posted:

The "tools" he's referring to is Adobe Substance Designer, a definitely not CIG product and something that is very standard in the visual effects industry. CIG is using it to generate a heightmap, then they probably have a bit of custom code which lets them bring that in and apply it as a displacement map to the in-game terrain.

Look, here it is in Unreal Engine: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Landscape/Custom/index.html

Like holy poo poo how are these people so ignorant of the biggest goddamn thing in their lives? It's like a car enthusiast not knowing that you need gas to run a vehicle or at least that the engine works by burning gas in tiny explosions. What the gently caress is with this mindless consumerism that has infected these people's brains?

Didn't know substance could do that well. I figured it'd be something like World Machine.

Either way I hope Adobe doesn't crash the Substance ship into the rocks.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Well, now there's only 98 jobs left. You better move fast!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
SaltEMike: 3.11 is Boring (“I’ve never been less excited about Star Citizen than I am now”)

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, Twerk. It might have something to do with you playing a good dogfighting game, one produced for a modest budget by an evil publisher, and enjoying it more than you‘ve ever enjoyed playing The BDSSE...

Just a hunch.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Pixelate posted:

So citizens are dying constantly in the PTU

The deaths at Port Olisar are a known issue, trapping people there permanently.

https://i.imgur.com/vN0H9je.mp4
(unmute)

https://i.imgur.com/6taHicf.mp4

The rest are a mystery.

Some say it's the sin of running too fast.

They're all fairly dramatic.

https://i.imgur.com/nCRHuqR.mp4

This is obviously all the room gas tech that CR has spent installing and coding into the mod himself.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

G0RF posted:

SaltEMike: 3.11 is Boring (“I’ve never been less excited about Star Citizen than I am now”)

I’m gonna go out on a limb here, Twerk. It might have something to do with you playing a good dogfighting game, one produced for a modest budget by an evil publisher, and enjoying it more than you‘ve ever enjoyed playing The BDSSE...

Just a hunch.

Imagine the controversy all these people must have that they have to openly admit that something a big publisher has helped to make within a reasonable time frame at a reasonable price is.... gasp... good.

How can they have done this when they are so evil and stifle the developers need to make something perfect for infinity time and infinity money with poo poo-looking results at every release???

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

imagine this. you're halfway through your 39 minute qt jump to hurston in your idris. Suddenly you realize that you have to piss. You turn to your science officer and for a second you can't remember if he's an npc or you irl best friend you've known since elementary school. "scotty you have the conn" you say. you walk past marco, who your pretty sure is an npc, lining up a shot on the pool table. you don't interrupt him - he's been a bit grouchy since his pc wife left him and he's had to sleep on hand soljo's foldout sofa bed.

you arrive at the executive head. You line up to the space toilet and watch as your character seamlessly unzips his suit and perfectly aligns with the urinal. Your cock has more polygons than all of the models in skyrim put together. "red 5, going in!" You shout. a little bit splashes on the floor. a new player rushes forward to wipe it up. You smile as you tip him a few credits. maybe he'll have his own idris someday.

just another day in the verse

And this is where if your character was female and had to sit a lesser developer might say "we don't need to animate something you can't see because it's all obscured by a toilet" but no, not CR. He had several women motion capture this and the individual droplets are in 4K resolution and just knowing that they are there, affected by the gravity of your ship and yellowed perfectly to your hydration and oxygen intake levels... is why Star Citizen is the best ever and will never be finished.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello
  • recent "big ask" for another round of investments
  • this will include another round of monies for advertising
  • this ask also includes a large amount directly to Turbulent
  • Turbulent currently handles some networking, level design, gameplay design and more for SC
  • "We are not working on anything related to Squadron 42. That is all being handled by Wilmslow."
  • more and more of SC proper to be turned over to Turbulent
  • it has been a "rough transition" and still in process
  • starting this quarter, expect "a more detailed, polished and presentable roadmap" from Turbulent
  • unknown if this transition will be announced
  • "We don't know how are fans are going to react, but Chris is still heavily involved in the project."
  • Turbulent "only adding help" not "taking away development" from CI
  • "We are the same company, the same people, the same ones that have been working [on SC] this whole time."
  • some Turbulent employees feel sad about only being referred to as "the website guys"
  • "Loads of us play the game, love the game, fixed bugs, [and] have helped make gameplay decisions."
  • the stalled progress this year has made some management nervous about new deadlines
  • internally, SC is considered a live game and released [again, heard this years ago]
  • SQ42 "proper" is at least another 24 to 36 months out
  • as more and more new hires are brought in to replace devs, the code base gets more and more unstable.
  • "Almost no one is documenting. Almost no one talks to each other. We nod like bobbleheads, mute like carps."

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • starting this quarter, expect "a more detailed, polished and presentable roadmap" from Turbulent

Of course. Perfect.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Yus! :3:

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

I really hate this auture theory bullshit where all credit gets ascribed to one man who's name was on the box, and all the other people who worked with him and made poo poo work get completely erased.

Roberts didn't even work on Wing Commander 2 right? Lmao. This is some Trump stuff right here.

Sooo... what you're saying is.. pledge now for President Crobear? I'm ready for the most transparent government and fidelitious presidency of all time.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Orange Carlisle posted:

I'm so excited for Cyberpunk to set this game back another 15 years lol

I'm betting they've been crunching for months to get a fake Sq42 demo video together for CitizenCon-but-not-really-cos-COVID this weekend, to bullshit its development progress :pervert:

But then they played Star Wars Squadrons and realized it owned whatever they were faking :doh:

I hope this week is funny :suspense:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • Turbulent currently handles some networking, level design, gameplay design and more for SC
  • "We are not working on anything related to Squadron 42. That is all being handled by Wilmslow."
  • "We don't know how are fans are going to react, but Chris is still heavily involved in the project."
  • "We are the same company, the same people, the same ones that have been working [on SC] this whole time."
  • some Turbulent employees feel sad about only being referred to as "the website guys"
  • "Loads of us play the game, love the game, fixed bugs, [and] have helped make gameplay decisions."
  • the stalled progress this year has made some management nervous about new deadlines
  • internally, SC is considered a live game and released [again, heard this years ago]
  • as more and more new hires are brought in to replace devs, the code base gets more and more unstable.
  • "Almost no one is documenting. Almost no one talks to each other. We nod like bobbleheads, mute like carps."

I don't get how these programming guy leakers always have the scoop on what's going on up in the C-Suite with investors and stuff. I never know what my execs are up to unless they deign to tell me at a company meeting, and why would Chris be announcing this?

That said, if it is true- imagine what kind of control will have to be relinquished for further funding? Also, could this be the cause of Chris's mysterious recent re-appearance as a forums ghost?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

hello

:fap: :glomp:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TheAgent posted:

hello

The Aristocrats!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't get how these programming guy leakers always have the scoop on what's going on up in the C-Suite with investors and stuff. I never know what my execs are up to unless they deign to tell me at a company meeting, and why would Chris be announcing this?
Some of it could be coming from a secretary or assistant, who tend to know a shocking amount about what's really going on with a company. And the executives don't seem like the type to inspire a lot of loyalty from support staff that have to interact with them on a daily basis.