Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well there goes the one thing I was looking to this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

thread cannot survive this news at current level of hype

this is a test

we must be prepared for the typhoon struggle

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
well, that'll give me plenty of time to put these sandworms all over myself

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
Paul going up on stage on The Spice Is Right and spinning the big wheel but all the options just say "Jihad"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
just put it up On Demand you cowards. bah!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This probably means they don't have to rush the editing/sfx and can do the reshoots they wanted to do, also maybe work on pre-production of part 2

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Just a much larger chance that an actor dies before filming part 2

At least this movie isn't filled with olds

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

This probably means they don't have to rush the editing/sfx and can do the reshoots they wanted to do, also maybe work on pre-production of part 2

They aren't going to sink more money into the movie they deemed to unceremoniusly push beck.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

They aren't going to sink more money into the movie they deemed to unceremoniusly push beck.

I mean...they probably are.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I mean...they probably are.

They are going to spend more on marketing, which they wasted this year. That's it.

They're definitely not going to start shooting the next movie before the first one is seen by anybody.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Mask discipline has consequences. We are all siona now

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
in through the mouth, out through the nose.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

They are going to spend more on marketing, which they wasted this year. That's it.

They're definitely not going to start shooting the next movie before the first one is seen by anybody.

Who said start shooting?

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Mask discipline has consequences. We are all siona now

:negative:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yadoppsi posted:

Anybody listen to any Dune podcasts? Its criminal the two most popular (Dune Saga and Dune Cast) are pro-@duneauthor.

Jesus how could you go to the effort of making a Dune podcast and accept that drivel. Twice.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 6, 2020

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

steinrokkan posted:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I guess Money Plane is the only new release I see this year

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RedSnapper posted:

https://collider.com/dune-movie-new-release-date-delayed-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2lWHhuM7bOTbQ42en0Q2D1HiYNfi3rO9FBJV5Y004CowrwWdlSCvPUxcY

I dunno. If it makes too much money they'll eventually get to adapting the failson's books. Maybe we're better off with it being a flop?

I don't think Herbert's additions to Dune were any better than what anyone else added later, I will always prefer Dune to standalone.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

You would have to have a Jackson LOTR level hit to get to the failson material

But we're going to get a Bakshi LOTR level hit that gets through half the story in one movie and ends forever

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I don't know if my opinion would shift had Frank managed to write Dune 7 before dying but I think Dune + Messiah + Children + God Emperor + Encyclopedia is pretty much perfect, and Chapterhouse/Heretics are....interesting, but not on the same level as any of the material that preceded them. They are also way, way too horny.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Uhh, guys?

The new tentative release date is October 1st. The same (tentative) release date as The Batman.
They're loving burying Dune, y'all. Which is going to be the source for many sand-based puns for article titles when the media outlets pick up on this fact.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

They're burying The Batman

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's a year away

One or both will move

Chill

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

euphronius posted:

Link?? I’d love that

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846107&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=551#post508623016 onward

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

this thread is a perpetual :five: but i'm a bit forlorn about the news among other world events and gotta check out for a while

keep the balls blue, my goons

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Later.

Khanstant posted:

I don't think Herbert's additions to Dune were any better than what anyone else added later, I will always prefer Dune to standalone.

You take that back. I will not stand by and let you implicitly criticize the Tiger Assassin plot. Or the "Bene Tleilaxu's millenia of planning is undone when they just take a really obvious Bene Gesserit lie at face value for no real reason" plot.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

There it is

quote:

The Batman, which stars Robert Pattinson as the caped crusader, is on the move again. After a series of production delays, the superhero pic’s release date in theaters is being pushed from Oct. 1, 2021 to March 4, 2022, Warner Bros. announced Monday evening.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man

RedSnapper posted:

https://collider.com/dune-movie-new-release-date-delayed-2021/?fbclid=IwAR2lWHhuM7bOTbQ42en0Q2D1HiYNfi3rO9FBJV5Y004CowrwWdlSCvPUxcY

I dunno. If it makes too much money they'll eventually get to adapting the failson's books. Maybe we're better off with it being a flop?

There should be a science of discontent. People need hard times to develop psychic muscles.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Yeah, I wouldn't pay attention to any future dates more specific than year and quarter. Specific dates will only start to matter when theaters actually start coming back

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I wonder if pattinson could have played feyd if they made it say a dozen years ago

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
dune delayed to late 2021!?!

gently caress

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It's a good thing if we want a second one

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
movies are over

much like america

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

steinrokkan posted:

Don't worry there's still a chance his condition gets worse

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Ingmar terdman posted:

I wonder if pattinson could have played feyd if they made it say a dozen years ago

I...don't think this would be bad. The thing is Pattinson grew as an actor after Twilight, iirc Cosmopolis was his first movie made him "Huh, that frizzly hair boy from HP and Twilight can act, whaddaya know"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Could I be Rick from Nude'Web?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Weren't there murmurs about all the post-processing (cutting, editing, and everything else but shooting) being impacted by COVID-19? If so, I would think that a delay would give them more time to work on a better movie, which seems like a good thing to me.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Xaintrailles posted:

On the plus side the Simpsons Meme thread is doing Dune now and it's spectacular.
e: VVV phone posting, it's in GBS, last few pages.

I want to get to the recent stuff in that thread, but it moves so fast and I'm like 10K posts behind and I don't wanna miss out on anything and it's all so terrible and wonderful at the same time! :ohdear:

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.

steinrokkan posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I guess I can go read the last two books now