Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

YggiDee posted:

I don't remember the precise numbers, but monsters far enough below your level stop giving vocation experience, so slime grinding won't do the job forever.

This is true but the tablet dungeons lift this restriction in case you wanted to totally and mindlessly grind at some point like I did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it was nice to have the option to grind classes but not levels in the remake. and since i cheated at lucky panel, i didn't need to grind for money either.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I feel the last few posts encapsulate my feelings with classes really well. It works out to extra grinding and optimizing on your part for what? To get access to run of the mill things such as "multi target healing spells." Riveting.

Bonus points for letting you play dress up but I didn'tt enjoy classes in 3, 6, or 9 so I somehow doubt 7 will change my mind once I get around to playing it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I like classes in theory but really it just makes me want to grind everyone to everything and then I burn out. It's a personal failing

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

YggiDee posted:

I don't remember the precise numbers, but monsters far enough below your level stop giving vocation experience, so slime grinding won't do the job forever.

I grinded out mastery of every non-monster class (and a ton of character levels simultaneously) using the slime island on PS1. For some reason the stops-giving-vocation-experience flag wasn't set there, even though most battles had a lot of low-level cannon fodder like normal babbles etc. Is it the same on 3DS?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know what 'slime island' is, but on the 3DS version you can infinitely grind in the tablet dungeons, I deliberately didn't mention those because nobody else should follow me down that dark path.

e: grinding out the normal classes, sure, but once you're charting out the most efficient ways to max out the monster classes it's a Problem.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

YggiDee posted:

Not sure about the remake but in the original it was pretty generous for the level difference. I grinded out battle master on mobs outside of Dharma on the PSX version but that was after my memory card's active folder (or w/e its called on the multi-layer ones) died and made me lose ~10 hours of gameplay and had me go back to a just-unlocked-classes backup on another card.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

YggiDee posted:

I don't know what 'slime island' is, but on the 3DS version you can infinitely grind in the tablet dungeons, I deliberately didn't mention those because nobody else should follow me down that dark path.

e: grinding out the normal classes, sure, but once you're charting out the most efficient ways to max out the monster classes it's a Problem.

The place with the World Tree. It's Krage on PS1, I don't know about the remake. This is on disc 2 and it's one of the later areas available before the final boss so having an artificial cap for grinding be lifted around there kinda makes sense.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

YggiDee posted:

It's actually based on where you are, IIRC. Each Tablet has a level cap where you stop gaining vocation exp once you hit it. The most annoying thing about it is that the game doesn't tell you this and there's no way to check if you're getting exp aside from trekking all the way back to Alltrades to talk to the diviner. Surprisingly, the remake did nothing to fix that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

God i swear the success rate on Zing is like 20% in VII

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, Zing kinda sucks. I really wish they'd abandon the success rate thing and just make it "Zing heals to half and Kazing heals to full". I normally try to keep a stock of Yggdrasil Leaves on hand on the tankiest character to get around Zing's failure rate.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I'm almost done with FFT for the millionth time and I want to play a DQ I haven't played before. Everyone says 3 is great so I think I want to try that one. Is there a version of 3 that has been determined to have the definitive translation? I love old NES games but for an RPG with a story I prefer remakes. I also do not want to play on my phone because I hate touch controls. Is there like a GBA or DS version I could get?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I'm almost done with FFT for the millionth time and I want to play a DQ I haven't played before. Everyone says 3 is great so I think I want to try that one. Is there a version of 3 that has been determined to have the definitive translation? I love old NES games but for an RPG with a story I prefer remakes. I also do not want to play on my phone because I hate touch controls. Is there like a GBA or DS version I could get?

3 had a Game Boy Color version that is perfectly serviceable. Forums poster Doug Dinsdale was Enix's translator at the time so if you have problems it's his fault :v:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
There's a Switch port of the mobile version, which probably has the translation most in line with the modern titles.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The fan-translated SFC remake is probably overall the best, IMO.

GBC is a demake of SFC but very impressive for the hardware, an official product, and has a bonus-bonus dungeon (with an insane collect-a-thon attached) that SFC lacks. If, when you mentioned having GBA access, you meant an actual GBA and not a DS, this version will work on a real GBA unless it's a Micro.

Mobile/Switch I guess is ok, but they removed all monster animations and Pachisi/TNT (a wonderful minigame).

To get the full effect of DQ3, I'd recommend playing the first 3 games in order. There's also a GBC port of 1 & 2 (both games, one cart), so that might be the way to go.

4-6 all have DS remakes and are all very good. But I've heard if you want real carts, prepare to :retrogames:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Get a fan-patched version of the SNES rom. The mobile version is the SNES version but with a couple things (pachisi boards and w/e) removed for some reason.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks everyone. I already played DQ1 and 2. I played 1 a lot actually.

I'll check out the GBC version first and if that doesn't grab me I'll look for an SNES version with updated translation.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i was just thinking about this: is IX seriously the *only* DQ game without any kinds of ports or remakes?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Amppelix posted:

i was just thinking about this: is IX seriously the *only* DQ game without any kinds of ports or remakes?

Yep. I'm saving myself for a Switch remake or something before playing it. Upscaled in a DS emulator it looks great though.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Amppelix posted:

I think Enix were teasing a possible future remake of IX that better takes advantage of online capabilities a month or so ago but yeah, so far it's just DS only.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think Enix were teasing a possible future remake of IX that better takes advantage of online capabilities a month or so ago but yeah, so far it's just DS only.

I hope they do this because I loved 9 to death and my wife and I played it together all the time and it was amazing.

Also I hope they don't do it because that's another several hundred hours of my life I will be forced to re-experience.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't think they were teasing anything. Just the Producer and Director spitballing what they'd like to do during a livestream if they did remake it.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So I've been playing through XI on the Switch and I was wondering if there was any decent guide or map that shows all the treasure locations on them? Pretty much any guide or map I tried using doesn't show the locations of the extra treasures added to the switch version and it's annoying to have Nose for Treasure tell you there's one item left when you've opened every chest and smashed every pot and barrel you can see. I'm in Act 3/postgame and the one that's bugging me now is Cobblestone Rebuilt where Nose for Treasure said there were 13 items to collect and I got 12 and I tried looking up maps but they only have 11 items marked on them.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The first episode of the dragon quest anime is up on hulu btw

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The first episode of the dragon quest anime is up on hulu btw

And Crunchyroll.

Seeing extremely 80s character designs in a modern anime with some cgi stuff is weird but the designs are good. Like when Dai called all the monsters on the island they looked to be computer animated while he wasn’t and that was jarring. I think Kingdom does the same thing and it’s very noticeable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any difference between the crunchyroll and Hulu ones? Also are they going to dub it at some point? My kid could follow along for the most part but only just, subs a little fast for a 7 year old

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's hard to say. Seems like most anime don't even bother with a dub these days unless it's something mega popular or is gonna air on Toonami/Adult Swim. Persona 5 finally got a dub but it was a year or two after the show came out. I kinda don't think it'll get a dub any time soon.

There probably won't be a difference between what platform you're watching it on.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
I've always been a Final Fantasy guy growing up and want to get into Dragon Quest. I played DQ9 ages ago when it came out but otherwise have no experience with the series. I want to wait for the special edition of DQ11 to come out for PC. What's a good DQ to start out with. I've heard DQ8 is one of the best ones but the 3ds version looks kinda janky?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

VIII is a great entry point to the series and works as a sort of prototype for DQXI. The PS2 and 3DS versions are both solid. 3DS port doesn't look as good as the PS2 and doesn't have the orchestrated music, but otherwise it's really solid, has some QOL improvements and an extra party member.

The phone port is really bad. Avoid that one entirely.

However, the phone ports of 1-6 are really good! I say that as someone who despises mobile gaming. The phone port of IV even has the cut party chat from the US DS version. The DS games are also skyrocketing in price so unless you wanna go with the :files: route, mobile is the way to go for cheap.

My personal pick is DQV. It's a generational take where your character start out as a child and eventually grows up and has a family of his own. When I first played it I beat it in a weekend. I just couldn't put the game down.

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
Ah ok, I remember hearing really good things about 5. Also I'be heard alot that the storytelling is not as good in Dragon Quest as compared to Final Fantasy, what do they mean by that? I get that it's much more light hearted series.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dragon Quest is more of a fairy tale than Final Fantasy. It's also more conservative in presentation. It's not that it doesn't do storytelling better than Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy is just more experimental, more about radically changing things up each game. DQ is more of a comfort food for JRPGs. That isn't to say DQ doesn't change things up. Each one does something different. But you know that when you start one up, you'll pretty much fight a slime within a minute or two. (well, DQ7 it takes like 3 hours.)

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

If it's an option you were thinking of, the phone port of 8 is actually totally fine.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Really, though, the 3DS version is the best port of 8, and you should be playing that one if you have a 3DS. The cutscenes look a little worse than they did on PS2, but the game mechanics are vastly improved and you have the option to get two more party members.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

ToxicAcne posted:

I've always been a Final Fantasy guy growing up and want to get into Dragon Quest. I played DQ9 ages ago when it came out but otherwise have no experience with the series. I want to wait for the special edition of DQ11 to come out for PC. What's a good DQ to start out with. I've heard DQ8 is one of the best ones but the 3ds version looks kinda janky?

DQ8 3DS is great, more features equals more fun!

Also look into the DS and Mobile ports for the older games.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I played DQ1 on the Switch which I think was just the mobile port but it was a pretty good game.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

DQ1 is short and sweet and not too complicated, it's honestly a good and cute lil starting point to the series. I played it on the Switch too.

Might wanna keep a walkthrough handy just in case you get stuck (which miiight happen) but it's short enough that it's a fun lil playthrough. DQ3 is good too, though it's longer.

DQ 7 and 8 on 3DS are both really good, 7 being kind of extremely long and segmented to be like little individual stories while 8 is more modern JRPG in style.

I also recommend the DS or Mobile versions of 4/5/6 because they're just... really good. They're more like 16 bit era style stuff but they're fantastic

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m playing through DQ1 right now on mobile. Pretty fun. Is the green dragon fight intended to be a huge bottleneck or is there something else I’m supposed to do? I’ve been leveling up on the area at the other side of the cave.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

From what I remember that fight can be a bit of a brick wall yeah.
I think sleep works on him?

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 6, 2020

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

It's kind of a level grind check yeah. DQ1's main game mechanics are risk/reward, gaining xp and gold while losing health in battles until you push your luck too hard and die or retreat to heal. its kind of about learning to optimize that

different from later DQ games which are more about story, but, it was the first one so. i personally find it fun since its focused so hard on that balancing act

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I’m not losing out on the ~experience~ by using the quick save feature? Starting back at the castle on each death really sucks.