Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
let them eat fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
  • recent "big ask" for another round of investments
  • this will include another round of monies for advertising
:lol:, meaning the last $60+ million for advertising went anywhere but into advertising...Just a pittance, really, for a game of this importance.
  • "We are not working on anything related to Squadron 42. That is all being handled by Wilmslow."
Jeez as if that’s produced anything but delays and garbage.
  • it has been a "rough transition" and still in process
We see it on Lando’s face, and in Chris and Erin’s absence.
  • "We don't know how are fans are going to react, but Chris is still heavily involved in the project."
The dummies will squeeeee as usual, so long as The Code Whisperer is still “in charge”.
  • the stalled progress this year has made some management nervous about new deadlines
We know. Chris is tired of being made to look the fool by having his own dates thrown back in his face. He can’t get them anymore, even though he still finds opportunities to complain about “the cynics” misconstruing his words. You big baby!
  • internally, SC is considered a live game and released [again, heard this years ago]
“I’ve never been more bored by Star Citizen than now.” — So sayeth the loyalists.
  • SQ42 "proper" is at least another 24 to 36 months out
Strange, seems like that’s been true for five years running.
  • "Almost no one is documenting. Almost no one talks to each other. We nod like bobbleheads, mute like carps."
Should make it easier to diffuse the blame when the final judgments are rendered.

Quavers posted:

I'm betting they've been crunching for months to get a fake Sq42 demo video together for CitizenCon-but-not-really-cos-COVID this weekend, to bullshit its development progress :pervert:

But then they played Star Wars Squadrons and realized it owned whatever they were faking :doh:
It’s 2016 all over again. Back to the drawing board!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Danknificent posted:

let them eat fake

:five:!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Zaphod42 posted:

I really hate this auture theory bullshit where all credit gets ascribed to one man who's name was on the box, and all the other people who worked with him and made poo poo work get completely erased.

Roberts didn't even work on Wing Commander 2 right? Lmao. This is some Trump stuff right here.

Wing Commander 1, Strike Commander, the fmv for 3+4, and unknown contribution to Freelancer until he got booted. He did contribute, in his younger days, to the art and design on WC1 that would largely get re-used for WC2. By Privateer his connection to the actual video game was in spirit only. Basically if your draw was "I like the cutscenes and the Kilrathi" then yeah Crobberts was your dude.

As far as ascribing all achievements to some mega auteur... that's entertainment but it's more hilarious here. All the things that citizens remember and want (namely, Privateer and Freelancer) have nothing to do with their messiah. His name wasn't even on the box of Privateer and he had zero involvement. In the case of Freelancer his contribution was actually negative. At least if they were Ben levels of hardcore about the mainline WC games it'd have a direct link to the glorious leader.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zaphod42 posted:

I really hate this auture theory bullshit where all credit gets ascribed to one man who's name was on the box, and all the other people who worked with him and made poo poo work get completely erased.

Roberts didn't even work on Wing Commander 2 right? Lmao. This is some Trump stuff right here.

My usual copypasta in terms of what his actual game credits look like in the various “Chris Roberts” games:

Wizadore (1985): Written by
Strykers Run (1986): Game design & original ideas, Coding, Graphics
Ultima V (1988): Design
Times of Lore (1988): Project lead, Lead design, Writing/dialogue/story, Playtesting
Bad Blood (1990): Design, Director, Additional Programming
Wing Commander (1990): Design, Director, Graphics/3D Programming, Lead design, Programming, Producer, Software Engineer, Space System
Secret Missions I: Director, Producer, Programming
Secret Missions II: Producer, Programming
Wing Commander II (1991): Producer
Special Operations I: Creative Director
Special Operations II: Creative Director
Wing Commander: Privateer (1993): Executive Producer, Original Concept
Righteous Fire: None
Strike Commander (1993): Cameras, Cockpit, Director, Graphics, Library Code, Mission Design, Original Outline, Producer, RealSpace System Programming
Tactical Operations: Producer
Super Wing Commander (1994): None
Wing Commander III (1994): Cast, Director, Executive Producer & Director for movies, Producer, Story
Wing Commander: Armada (1994): Producer
Wing Commander IV (1996): Executive Producer, Director
Privateer 2 (1996): None
Wing Commander: Prophecy (1997): Special thanks
Starlancer (2000): Executive Producer
Freelancer (2003): Original concept, Special thanks

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah so as we've been saying, the guy hasn't really written code since 1990. Maybe a little bit of actual code in '93 (how many of those titles are inflated though lol) and otherwise just a bunch of "Producer" taking credit for other people's work.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Oh, and the related copypasta for “familiar names” that have been part of his production posse through the years, many of which are — or have been — around for SC as well:

Strykers Run (1986)
• Erin Roberts: General inspiration
• Nick Elms: Graphics
• Simon Elms: General dogsbody

Times of Lore (1988)
• Paul Isaac: Programming, Writing/dialogue/story
• N. Elms: Special thanks

Bad Blood (1990)
• Warren Spector: Producer
• Isaac: Terrain Editor
• Steve Muchow: Programming

Wing Commander (1990)
• E. Roberts: Design, QA, dogfight choreography (Amiga, SEGA CD),
• Spector: Producer, documentation & reference editing
• Steve Cantrell: Writing, dialogue, story, QA, gameplay documentation & reference, documentation & reference editing, additional writing (Amiga, SEGA CD)
• Isaac: Programming
• Muchow: Programming
↳ Secret Missions I
   • Spector: Documentation, producer
   • Cantrell: Design, writing, implementation, QA, documentation
↳ Secret Missions II
   • Spector: Documentation
   • Cantrell: Documentation, special thanks

Wing Commander II (1991)
• Spector: Documentation, documentation design & graphics
• David Ladyman: Documentation design & graphics
• Stephen Beeman: Director, story, software engineer
• Ellen Beeman: Assistant director, script, story
• Muchow: Software Engineer
↳ Special Operations I
   • Ladyman: Packaging design & graphics
   • E. Beeman: Story, script, documentation, cons. director
   • Muchow: Muchowvision System
↳ Special Operations II
   • Ladyman: Packaging design & graphics
   • E. Beeman: Story, script, documentation, cons. director
   • Muchow: Muchowvision System
↳ CD ROM Edition
   • Roberts: Design, QA
   • Ladyman: Documentation Design & graphics, packaging design & graphics
   • Cantrell: Additional Documentation, QA, design, writing, implementation, special thanks
   • S. Beeman: Programming, design, software engineer, story, director
   • E. Beeman: Writing, implementation, QA, documentation, story, script, assistant director, voice direction, cons. director

Wing Commander: Privateer (1993)
• Roberts: Assistant producer
• Joel Manners: Original concept, lead design
• Ladyman: Document editing
↳ Righteous Fire
   • Spector: Producer

Strike Commander (1993)
• Roberts: Assistant producer
• Ladyman: Editing
• Paul Steed: RealSpace buildings, RealSpace planes and vehicles, documentation graphics
• Bill Baldwin: Cockpit, HUD, MFDs, audio system, RealSpace terrain editor, option scenes, library code
• Isaac: RealSpace system programming, graphics primitives, cockpit, HUD, MFDs, mission system, RealSpace object editor, library code
• Eric Hyman: Additional programming
↳ Tactical Operations
   — No familiar names

Super Wing Commander (1994)
• Hyman: Producer
• Isaac: Programmer
• Muchow: Programmer

Wing Commander III (1994)
• Steed: Assistant art director, Realspace objects, mission briefing & animations
• Isaac: High-res 3D object editor

Wing Commander: Armada (1994)
• Steed: Graphics/artwork
• Ladyman: Editor

Wing Commander IV (1996)
• Steed: Graphics/3D programming
• Ladyman: Documentation
• Eric Peterson: (historical note)

Privateer 2 (1996)
• Roberts: Producer
• Ladyman: Documentation
• S. Elms: Initial main plot design
• N. Elms: 3D artist/object design
• Peterson: (historical note)

Wing Commander: Prophecy (1997)
• Syd Mead: Concept art
• David Swofford: Director of communications
• Ladyman: Documentation editor
• Isaac: Additional programming

Starlancer (2000)
• Roberts: Producer, original concept, game design,
• N. Elms: Original concept, game design, art direction, mission design
• S. Elms: Assistant project coordinator
• Peterson: Game design, assistant producer

Freelancer (2003)
• Isaac: Lead programmer

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Danknificent posted:

let them eat fake

Magnificent

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Real good sign that the basic IK bug on the cup holding is still not fixed. Just add it to the lore that it's how people drink in the future.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Flannelette posted:

Real good sign that the basic IK bug on the cup holding is still not fixed. Just add it to the lore that it's how people drink in the future.

I don't think that's IK, I think the animation is playing on entirely the wrong bones

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • this ask also includes a large amount directly to Turbulent
  • Turbulent currently handles some networking, level design, gameplay design and more for SC
  • "We are not working on anything related to Squadron 42. That is all being handled by Wilmslow."
  • more and more of SC proper to be turned over to Turbulent
  • starting this quarter, expect "a more detailed, polished and presentable roadmap" from Turbulent
  • unknown if this transition will be announced
  • "We don't know how are fans are going to react, but Chris is still heavily involved in the project."
  • Turbulent "only adding help" not "taking away development" from CI
  • "We are the same company, the same people, the same ones that have been working [on SC] this whole time."
  • some Turbulent employees feel sad about only being referred to as "the website guys"
  • "Loads of us play the game, love the game, fixed bugs, [and] have helped make gameplay decisions."
  • the stalled progress this year has made some management nervous about new deadlines
  • internally, SC is considered a live game and released [again, heard this years ago]
  • as more and more new hires are brought in to replace devs, the code base gets more and more unstable.
  • "Almost no one is documenting. Almost no one talks to each other. We nod like bobbleheads, mute like carps."

yikes. good lord...

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't think that's IK, I think the animation is playing on entirely the wrong bones

Could be or could be the IK where they've set the drink point to be on the wrong side and the hand animation just goes "well if you insist".

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Star Citizer: We nod like bobbleheads, mute like carps.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • Turbulent currently handles some networking, level design, gameplay design and more for SC
  • starting this quarter, expect "a more detailed, polished and presentable roadmap" from Turbulent
  • "We are the same company, the same people, the same ones that have been working [on SC] this whole time."
  • some Turbulent employees feel sad about only being referred to as "the website guys"
  • "Loads of us play the game, love the game, fixed bugs, [and] have helped make gameplay decisions."
  • as more and more new hires are brought in to replace devs, the code base gets more and more unstable.

I'd love to see how we need another 36 months goes down with fan base.

I love the story of it being all given to turbulent as they are the only ones in the room that produce what they say they will, even if they are just the website guys

Makes it easy when CI can't even produce a roadmap.

The rest boils down to nervous management about progress, needs more money, more money and more hires makes code more unstable. Unstable code slows progress. It's comic cycle.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Flannelette posted:

Someone once told me to drink water like that to get rid of hiccups and it actually worked.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Tippis posted:

My usual copypasta in terms of what his actual game credits look like in the various “Chris Roberts” games:

Times of Lore (1988): Project lead, Lead design, Writing/dialogue/story, Playtesting
Wing Commander (1990): Design, Director, Graphics/3D Programming, Lead design, Programming, Producer, Software Engineer, Space System
Strike Commander (1993): Cameras, Cockpit, Director, Graphics, Library Code, Mission Design, Original Outline, Producer, RealSpace System Programming
Wing Commander III (1994): Cast, Director, Executive Producer & Director for movies, Producer, Story

I would have thought to call yourself a software engineer you would have had to finish a university degree in computer science or something.. or can I call my self a software engineer if I code anything?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

DigitalPenny posted:

I would have thought to call yourself a software engineer you would have had to finish a university degree in computer science or something.. or can I call my self a software engineer if I code anything?

Yes that's how it usually works, people care about how good the things you make are not your useless degree.

https://i.imgur.com/5mJGz28.gifv

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 6, 2020

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

What are the titles that denote he was actually the head of the project, Executive Producer? Director?

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

DigitalPenny posted:

Probably, it depends. Afaik John Carmack never did a CS degree back in the day and probably "just" holds some honorary doctorate. But since his work stands for itself and engine code up to Doom 3 is readily available on Github, I would certainly call him a software engineer. On the other hand, I saw people with CS degree where this term is the last coming to mind.

Anyway, I'm surprised this is still going. Who in his right mind throws money at a project that screams "development hell" and, depending on where you stand, "scam" after 8 years? Do they still believe Chris' lie that every dollar goes into development? I would argue that maybe 5% of every dollar pledged end up in actual development. The rest is lost due to mismanagement or ends up in overblown salaries for Chris and family. For this reason alone I wouldn't be fond of throwing my money into the grinder.

But well, I guess it takes a special kind of person to be so obsessed with a specific genre of video game to throw in thousands of dollars and waste so much time on it while there is basically nothing to show for except Garrys Mod-style "gameplay". Better space games (and, games in general) come and go, while SC is still chugging along, achieving nothing. Why still bother?

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This is a good time to revisit the Citcon roadmap:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Starsector is the best M&B in space game.

This goon gets it

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

CeeJee posted:

Someone once told me to drink water like that to get rid of hiccups and it actually worked.

Drinking water from the opposite side of the cup totally works to solve hiccups ..... Sometimes.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

MedicineHut posted:

What are the titles that denote he was actually the head of the project, Executive Producer? Director?

Usually lead design or sometimes director. It depends on the company how involved the job title is.

It's also very different in East vs West terms.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Pixelate posted:

This is a good time to revisit the Citcon roadmap:

funnily idris still remains 80% complete. And isnt flyable still.
that one torpedo room and all that jazz :allears:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
But they got drinking in!

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Quavers posted:

Star Citizen's Alex Jones rants about :reddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_myAO6STE

Yikes, this dude is going to mail out some pipe bombs over how not mad he is

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

hello
:lol:
Another 2-3 years out for SQ42 proper? A proper studio could knock out a better single player space game from scratch in that time

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

Pixelate posted:

ROFL this overlay data... 15 FPS... 1.1MBit/s incomming Data, 18GB RAM Committed :dance:

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Bofast posted:

Another 2-3 years out for SQ42 proper? A proper studio could knock out a better single player space game from scratch in that time
True. Developers of Everspace released Everspace in 2017 after starting its development in 2015 or 2014. They will release its sequel before SQ42 even gets gameplay trailer (I mean real gameplay). And they have or had how many employees? 15? 25? Maybe it's more now.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 6, 2020

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

DigitalPenny posted:

No one outside of academic software engineering gives a drat about what your schooling was. It's helpful for your first job but you can get hired with no relevant education at all if you've got publicly available projects of at least reasonable complexity on Github or wherever.
I've gone through a couple hiring cycles on the interviewer side and if you're at least a mid-level software person you could honestly leave your education off the resume, I wouldn't even care. The HR people wouldn't like it though.

But yes, it's not like civil engineering in North America or something where you get your Engineer's/Iron Ring in some pompous ceremony.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

MedicineHut posted:

Depends on what you mean by being the head of a project, because there are lots of chiefs involved. The usual (but far from universal) division is: "executive" = decides whether the project gets any funding, gives a yay/nay on large decisions; "producer" = coordinates work and presents large decisions for the executives to give a yay/nay on; "director" = implements the yays, gumbles about not being allowed to do the nays. For Chris, of course, "director" has connotations of being a movie director, which is his dream role (see WC3 and WC4 where he's specifically director of movies). In those cases, the title tends to imply being the guy with a vision (although the cinematographers and writers often dispute that idea).

Project leads and lead [whatever]s are usually the ones that actually do the hard work of... well... leading the project, but even they have a chain of reporting levels above them that have to be satisfied and who can change the direction of the whole thing.

Fidelitious posted:

No one outside of academic software engineering gives a drat about what your schooling was. It's helpful for your first job but you can get hired with no relevant education at all if you've got publicly available projects of at least reasonable complexity on Github or wherever.
I've gone through a couple hiring cycles on the interviewer side and if you're at least a mid-level software person you could honestly leave your education off the resume, I wouldn't even care. The HR people wouldn't like it though.
The only real exception to this that I've seen in the wild is when they're looking for a couple of very specific competences and they know that certain courses tend to filter out people who don't have that. If for some reason they're looking for more esoteric functional programming, for instance, there are courses where that is actually being used (or at least taught) in a way that a regular accumulation of project experience might not. But even then, those are often more a matter of snobbery on the hiring end.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 6, 2020

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
I remember a Freelancer preview in an issue of Gamestar where Roberts said you wouldn't control your ship directly but tell your ship's computer which maneuvers to do and better computers would be better and have better maneuvers. Kid me read that and thought "well this poo poo doesn't sound fun".

I suppose that's what ended up becoming the docking and follow buttons at the top of the screen when actual game devs made an actual Freelancer game out of it. Those were pretty cool.

The bear knows nothing about games.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

TheAgent posted:

A part of me would love to see samples of their code but then, in the deep recesses of my heart, a great fear grips me and says, "don't."

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Tippis posted:

Depends on what you mean by being the head of a project, because there are lots of chiefs involved. The usual (but far from universal) division is: "executive" = decides whether the project gets any funding, gives a yay/nay on large decisions; "producer" = coordinates work and presents large decisions for the executives to give a yay/nay on; "director" = implements the yays, gumbles about not being allowed to do the nays. For Chris, of course, "director" has connotations of being a movie director, which is his dream role (see WC3 and WC4 where he's specifically director of movies). In those cases, the title tends to imply being the guy with a vision (although the cinematographers and writers often dispute that idea).

Project leads and lead [whatever]s are usually the ones that actually do the hard work of... well... leading the project, but even they have a chain of reporting levels above them that have to be satisfied and who can change the direction of the whole thing.

The only real exception to this that I've seen in the wild is when they're looking for a couple of very specific competences and they know that certain courses tend to filter out people who don't have that. If for some reason they're looking for more esoteric functional programming, for instance, there are courses where that is actually being used (or at least taught) in a way that a regular accumulation of project experience might not. But even then, those are often more a matter of snobbery on the hiring end.

Thanks for that. I meant ultimate decision maker, i.e. where the buck stops. Many backers assign that ultimate responsibility to Crobbers in most, if not all, of those games you listed. So, according to what you say that ultimate responsibility will only be for those cases where he is Executive Producer.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

RandomGuy12 posted:

ROFL this overlay data... 15 FPS... 1.1MBit/s incomming Data, 18GB RAM Committed :dance:

star citizen is the only game that's used 30/32GB of my ram.
just goes to show that the reason it runs like poo poo is that it's 10 years ahead! the world isn't ready for this fidelity yet

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Most people have no idea how the sausage is made, much less how the technology in their lives works. Things like cars and computers are just black boxes to most people, just magical devices.

Their ignorance of every aspect of how video games actually work and are made is fundamental to this scam.

But yeah as a rule anything CIG does that looks cool is an off-the-shelf tool they purchased.

Mailer posted:

There are plenty of people driving cars that have absolutely no clue what sort of magic goes on under the hood. They know you feed the engine gas and it goes vroom and it's a shiny red color. People have their careers, the things they need to pay for living, based entirely on the internet and no idea how it works beyond "I push the iphone button and it goes to the cloud".

Right but those people don't call themselves "car enthusiasts". They just drive the car. These people devote their entire online lives to video games, talking about them, reviewing them, sharing them. But they have no idea how any of them work? Like, yea, I don't know a lot about how my home plumbing works - but I'm not a plumbing enthusiast. I don't have a room in my house dedicated to plumbing fixtures or a sound proof room where I can stream unboxing of PVC pipes. These people do have that for video games but they're ignorant of everything about them. It's weird.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Bofast posted:

Yeah, Infinity Ward and Motive already have. One with a touch of VR, the other a whole game of it. Chris can’t hope to create the equal of either, but it 2-3 years, the bar will be higher still.

Squadron 42 feels so dead and forgotten at this point. I doubt there’s anywhere on the net it’s talked about more than here, and we, only in derision. Even CIG seems loathe to mention it — they’re hoping backers forget what they were formerly told. Forget that they were promised an update video months ago. Forget it’s supposed to be in Beta. Forget the 2020 release date VentureBeat teased two years back. Forget the “we just need investor money to market it.”

You gotta wonder if this upcoming virtual celebration event that isn’t CitizenCon is even going to mention it. I mean, it’d be shameless to cruise through their big annual birthday celebration just pretending Squadron doesnt exist but given the way this year has gone, they might really be that shameless.

:sandance::sandance::sandance:That’s this Friday, isn’t it?:sandance::sandance::sandance:

CIG posted:

This Week In Star Citizen

We’ve been seeing some speculation in the community about a virtual CitizenCon and we just want to give you a friendly reminder that we postponed the event back in May. It’s important to us to set appropriate expectations and make sure nobody wakes up expecting a gameplay demo or a full day of activities. We’re just as anxious to bring back the CitizenCon fun as you are, but we’re committed to waiting until it’s safe for everyone to do so in person.

Brace yourselves for an extended Lando video where he splices together random unused talking head clips. Leftovers he’s carried since his last visit overseas.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

We wanted to give you a heads up that we'll be updating our minimum system requirements with the update coming to the RSI Launcher tomorrow. Specifically, AVX (Advanced Vector Extensions) CPU technology will be a requirement going forward. It's important to note that only older CPUs don't utilize this technology, and we expect very few of you to be impacted by this change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Pixelate posted:

What? You don't slam the glass into the back of your sinus cavities?