Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bust Rodd posted:

You can’t sue a show because an evil person said your name.

I work in tv/film, and my life is frequently made difficult by the fact they will do anything to mitigate any threat of legal action/repercussions from anyone, from font designers to makers of products in and nearby a scene, and the context he was being used in was definitely the kind of contentious they wouldn't want to deal with, unless they concluded he had no recourse or they'd cleared it beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

echoplex posted:

I work in tv/film, and my life is frequently made difficult by the fact they will do anything to mitigate any threat of legal action/repercussions from anyone, from font designers to makers of products in and nearby a scene, and the context he was being used in was definitely the kind of contentious they wouldn't want to deal with, unless they concluded he had no recourse or they'd cleared it beforehand.

Here’s kinda how this plays out, in my mind, but this is your world so I would love to hear if this rings true:

Pewdiepie sees the episode (his fans watch it)

He sues for libel or whatever

People dig up all the racist poo poo he kept saying or the time he paid poor Indian people to say “KILL ALL JEWS” on the internet or the multiple times he screamed the “n” word at his channel for children and got “cancelled”

He decides this is probably not worth it and backs off?

He really doesn’t want to be part of this conversation because his track record is actual rear end

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
An Ant-man analogue actually doing 'fly up Thanos' rear end' thing would be perfect, and this show has proven to be extremely online.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bust Rodd posted:

Here’s kinda how this plays out, in my mind, but this is your world so I would love to hear if this rings true:

People dig up all the racist poo poo he kept saying or the time he paid poor Indian people to say “KILL ALL JEWS” on the internet or the multiple times he screamed the “n” word at his channel for children and got “cancelled”

He really doesn’t want to be part of this conversation because his track record is actual rear end

I think the thought process you have there is the same that the creators would have (and is generally the 'right' way to think about it), but I've never worked for any production company that wouldn't go 'lol no' before the second script draft was out. One of the reasons is that most shows don't want any possible grief is that they mostly don't exist by the time that they come out, in that all of the crew are on other jobs / not on the payroll so it's a nightmare for the studio to be on the back foot in that regard.

Maybe they decided to go with it because they have Bezos money, and it's a going concern for now, I dunno. For some reason I find myself quite vested in wanting this to not be a toothless gesture.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean if Amazon doesn’t have the best lawyers on earth then what are they even doing

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The only thing we actually know about the Stormfront-Edgar relationship right now is that they were working together on the Adult-V programme, and that Edgar made the decision (or made a sham of a decision) to put Stormfront onto the Seven.

Edgar knows the unsanitized history of Vought, the secret buried so deep that even Homelander hasn't come across it (and remember, Homelander plays dumb a lot but he's been the best investigator on the show when he's motivated). He's not a random MBA brought on to CEO Vought for the sake of aimless capitalism, there's a really strong inference that's he's been around since possibly the beginning, knows exactly who Stormfront is and what her agenda is, and they've had a decades long partnership.

He gave Homelander the 'official' version of what Vought is at the start of the season, but I'm not sure that's evidence he has an agenda that differs from Stormfront's or whether he was info dumping on the audience while putting Homelander in his place because by spreading Compound V around he was inadvertedly loving up the secret plan.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bust Rodd posted:

It's not like they mentioned him in a slanderous way, Stormfront just asked Ryan if he liked "regular kids' stuff" like pewdiepie.

All the real meme and internet culture stuff they write in is better and more true to life than anything I've seen in shows or movies before, yet it still makes me cringe a little.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

What would Pewdiepie's case even be? That he was tarnished by a racist character using him as an example of things kids are into? She also mentioned NBA 2K in the same breath, would he try and say the show was implying that was also enjoyed by racists? Or would he try and say a non-racist character wouldn't have used him as an example, because he isn't actually popular with kids?

Any objection would be a complete self-own because they only reason his name had significance and Stormfront's other example didn't is his history of racism.

davidspackage posted:

All the real meme and internet culture stuff they write in is better and more true to life than anything I've seen in shows or movies before, yet it still makes me cringe a little.

It's extremely unsubtle but also very cleverly written. The giant American flag at the Homelander/Stormfront rally. The almost word-for-word quoting of Bush and Trump. Even the supportive slogan "Red, White & Super".

jabby fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 5, 2020

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I could see a small mom and pop artisanal show being concerned about this but big daddy amazon definitely has more lawyers than anyone else

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

jabby posted:

What would Pewdiepie's case even be?

The issue here is that you, a normal person, asks this question from a place of good faith, informed by common sense, and I, a person who has to deal with this stuff, has worked on jobs for Very Large Studios where I have had to submit 100 background car registration plates for a lengthy approval process with a team of clearance lawyers to make sure no brand (or other) allusions were accidentally suggested in the random combinations of numbers and letters in case of any chance of punative legal action as a result

The question might seem absurd but it's definitely a thing. FWIW, these problems almost never *actually* become a thing, but shows are run around the premise of not letting it happen in the first place to the point where there's a micro-economy within production dedicated to it.

spacetoaster posted:

I teach elementary school. No, he is still massively popular.

This is an unwelcome telegram to receive

echoplex fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 5, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

echoplex posted:

The issue here is that you, a normal person, asks this question from a place of good faith, informed by common sense, and I, a person who has to deal with this stuff, has worked on jobs for Very Large Studios where I have had to submit 100 background car registration plates for a lengthy approval process with a team of clearance lawyers to make sure no brand (or other) allusions were accidentally suggested in the random combinations of numbers and letters in case of any chance of punative legal action as a result

The question might seem absurd but it's definitely a thing

Oh yeah I'm sure this sort of rear end-covering is practically ubiquitous in the industry. Even if a lawsuit has 0.01% chance of succeeding most companies will want to avoid the negative press and hassle even if it means never taking any risks.

It's a testament to the balls of the show and the creative freedom they've been given that they went ahead with something that (to a lot of people) is absolutely akin to openly calling Pewdiepie racist, even if it's very hard for him to prove.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Does PooPee living in Not-America matter at all in this kind of thing? I could see that as a way for them to not care as much. Of course, he does "work" for youtube so maybe it's a twitch/youtube rivalry thing

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Ghost Leviathan posted:

An Ant-man analogue actually doing 'fly up Thanos' rear end' thing would be perfect, and this show has proven to be extremely online.

Plus, it'd make sense.

Unless he's Lady Godiva'ing around on that fly, he can shrink/expand his gear. And that means he could sneak into your sinus then expand a small charge before buggering off.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Accretionist posted:

Plus, it'd make sense.

Unless he's Lady Godiva'ing around on that fly, he can shrink/expand his gear. And that means he could sneak into your sinus then expand a small charge before buggering off.

Please credit my non-Supe poop theory if you're going to reference.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Accretionist posted:

Plus, it'd make sense.

That's what I was thinking on a practical level. A brick of c4 shrunk and then grown to cigarette size might burst a blood vessel as it expanded and then you set off the remote and splat. Scanners style is also a good guess as the classic nosebleed to exploding head is a bit iconic and very much a meme. The creators of the Boys know their memes well. As far as who the scanner is? I would say Cindy but she's not exactly pro Vought. Captured and forced? Dunno why they even filmed her getting away then. Giancarlo/ Edgar? Good guess or one of his guys. Edgar using low level telekinesis to its full potential would be a good thing but CEO's usually don't get their hands dirty often. They like layers upon layers of distance between them and their sins. Boys L Ron? Why didn't he just quietly give Eagle the splat? Eagle is fighting someone and his brain explodes and everyone is like "well that's just superhero poo poo going wrong" or "must've been a super villain" and that last one would have made great headlines. So ... after some thought my hunch is Edgar hiring out some secret assassin super to build up the super villain threat. Second place is Edgar himself pulling a Hank Pym and making most of his money being super spy before retiring to CEO and only now decides to have a bit of fun.

I'm assuming everyone got the ep by now so spoilers ahead. Random thoughts:

The opening scene was chilling. One sec I'm going "Young Neil" and the next I'm doing an "oh gently caress". The way the Supes twist it into advancing their own cause is infuriating as it's so 2020. Still love the little A-Train moments with the Deep. Darn you show for making me enjoy those two guys as they are fairly scummy. The Scientology analogue is spot on and.... still think it has potential. Giving the Boys some faith. They already showed most religion has no problem being in bed with Supers so wondering if this leads to a religious aspect for the near finale with Homelander. After this talk of Saviour for the master race it wouldn't be that far off for HL to buy into him being god. Either way I'm betting they handle it well. Hoping no romance comes about with Miko and Serge. I like their friendship and hope it stays that way as otherwise might get creepy again sharpish. Despite the terrible accent, I liked the Butcher Boys meeting. loving dads eh? Tied in nicely with Vogelbaum later and jesus .... that whole scene with Butcher. The way he drank from the cup and his eyes seemed to get darker yet twinkle. A bit later when he is with his mom then goes back to being human. The Charge of the cuck brigade was hilarious. Surprised Lamplighter is already gone. Not that he was super powerful but gently caress... just figured he would last a tiny bit longer. Starlight's mom is so out of her depth and a very realistic portrayal of several friend's parents. Noir was great in his two short scenes but the payoff for almond joy was hilarious. Second best joke of the episode as "Maeve's meatless lasagna" made me effin die laughing. Hughie and Starlight are way too cute. I loved the tiny smile Star did when she realized Hughie came to rescue her. So bloody saccharine but it works somehow. The court scene was great. Butcher was interesting as it looked like he was relieved to not have to become a monster to take Homelander down only to see it all go tits up.loving goog ending.

One last bit: Becca is cool and very human. She is so doomed and yeah, she is overly protective and subjecting her kids to the worst movies, but she is legitimately trying to fight the tide with a toothpick. She's written well enough and I feel bad for her.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

One last bit: Becca is cool and very human. She is so doomed and yeah, she is overly protective and subjecting her kids to the worst movies, but she is legitimately trying to fight the tide with a toothpick. She's written well enough and I feel bad for her.

I think the thing I like best about the show is that you can understand the motivations of every character, even if they're terrible. Homelander has his mother issues, Deep has his body issues, A-Train has his crushing fear of being a nobody. Even the truly evil characters like Stormfront are relatable in the sense that plenty of people with views like her exist in real life. In a comic book world they've managed to not have comic book villians.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

But we can all agree, no matter what, Ryan is just all around hosed, right? Like, no amount of therapy is going to fix all of that poo poo.

Agreed. Her role isn't flashy, so she'll never get as much notice, but the actress is killing it for what she's being asked to do.

I really like her character. Shes a completely soulless corporate husk, but you still feel for her because goddamn, poor lady is WAY in over her head

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oKcO5syoI

Absolutely wild to see Kumiko so chatty and cheerful. What range.

Edit: It goes over the Whale Scene and shows her getting thrown into a Real Car lol

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 5, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

jabby posted:

I think the thing I like best about the show is that you can understand the motivations of every character, even if they're terrible. Homelander has his mother issues, Deep has his body issues, A-Train has his crushing fear of being a nobody. Even the truly evil characters like Stormfront are relatable in the sense that plenty of people with views like her exist in real life. In a comic book world they've managed to not have comic book villians.

Yeah the casting was great especially the effective pick of Usher as A train .

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
If that Vanity Fair article is true, he wouldn't sue. He's learned that keeping his head down is the best way to keep his livelihood. He really does seem like a 20something edge lord dumbass who caught lightning in a bottle but realized way too late trolling has consequences. The last thing he would want to do is re litigate his "ironic" racism.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I mean, comic Homelander still ends up there. That scene with the family and the car from a couple pages ago is one of the rare highlights from the comic that isn't about shocking gore or putting a boner in an eye socket.

The thing i like about the BN twist is that it bounces ultimate responsibility back at Vought. BN does these things not because he's a bizarro Superman who does opposite things because they're opposite, but because he's been programmed from birth by Vought to only have one goal: kill Homelander if he goes nuts. He's compelled to want to do this, but can't unless Homelander does something to make Vought give the order. So he tries to get them to do it because he knows it's the ONLY REASON HE EXISTS and he has a desperate, profound need to fulfill it.

That is prob the only thing the comic has on the show so far, the wider indictment of Vought and corporate fecklessness and immorality.

Having Homelander spread the V to other countries, would have totally been the corporation in the comics.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8oKcO5syoI

Absolutely wild to see Kumiko so chatty and cheerful. What range.

Edit: It goes over the Whale Scene and shows her getting thrown into a Real Car lol

hah, i don't think i've ever seen her in any other show so i didn't even know what her voice sounds like.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Gynovore posted:

Important detail: Black Noir rapes, kills, and eats a baby, then anonymously sends photographs of him doing it to Homelander. Because Noir is a clone of Homelander, he has the same face, so Homelander assumes it was him doing it during a drug blackout (presumably this was before Photoshop). So, Homelander becomes a psychopath because he believes he already is.

this plot point sucks so much and I dont understand why people like it so much. No one would ever assume they are actually doing those things, much less in a world filled with literal magic. Im glad the show is clearly staying far away from it

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

One feature I liked right away about the show is that Hughie is shown to be a fan of superheroes. It eliminates the plot hole of why he didn't know who Starlight was in the comics. It always bothered me that he was part of The Boys and didn't even know all the members of The Seven.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So, did anyone talk about how HL junior's movies all seemed to be white people benevolently lording over people of color? Weird to think butcher's wife is also a low key racist and is raising her son to be that way. I'd say he's been well prepped for further training by stormfront.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

mrbotus posted:

So, did anyone talk about how HL junior's movies all seemed to be white people benevolently lording over people of color? Weird to think butcher's wife is also a low key racist and is raising her son to be that way. I'd say he's been well prepped for further training by stormfront.

Yeah, a few people mentioned it. Given the attention to detail in the writing it's unlikely to be accidental.

I can think of two explanations: either Becca wants to raise Ryan to be kind and gentle and didn't realise those movies all have problematic narratives thanks to her own unconscious bias, or those were the only movies Vought made available precisely because they have white saviour plots.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

mrbotus posted:

Before her kidnapping she was a high-ranking corporate executive. Even if her personal politics ran on the liberal side, she'd loving love white savior movies

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

babypolis posted:

this plot point sucks so much and I dont understand why people like it so much. No one would ever assume they are actually doing those things, much less in a world filled with literal magic. Im glad the show is clearly staying far away from it

I thought it worked ok, the comic HL was still a narcissistic dimwit whose childhood consisted of nervous looking men in lab coats and a large nuclear bomb. It made sense to him and everyone else that he'd turn into a monster. I think the show HL is a much, much better written character, though.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

GD_American posted:

Before her kidnapping she was a high-ranking corporate executive. Even if her personal politics ran on the liberal side, she'd loving love white savior movies

This is exactly it, plus she’s intentionally trying to make Homelander Jr. nice in the way an upper-class white lady imagines that to be.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

babypolis posted:

Yeah. I mean, personally I don't feel that the comic is 'edgelord bullshit'... but that particular bit definitely is.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
The reasoning made enough sense, to me. Homelander probably did a fair bit of drugs, and probably assumed he did those during a few blackouts, or some such.

The real sin, IMO, is that it turns the finale into a complete anti-climax. It's like Ennis couldn't think of a convincing way to of kill Homelander, so he had Black Noir come out and do it at the last minute... In a 3-panel fight that gets resolved off-screen. Butcher comes out completely unscathed, as a result.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Accretionist posted:

Plus, it'd make sense.

the headpopper is obviously the ghost of popclaw's thighs.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

splifyphus posted:

Fascists aestheticize everything. The helmets the nazis were making for their soldiers were like, artisanal, handcrafted, triple-layered works of art for their 'warrior' caste. The allies went for highly automated production and maximum output. Ideology matters, kids. Fascism's mythical reifications and aesthetic fetishisms make it remarkably shite at comprehending and navigating modern conditions.

The way it's treated in this show is super heavy-handed. Having Stormfront be a literal like, era specific German Nazi is cheap ahistorical bullshit, like fascism was just a bunch of bad apples that sort of appeared in Europe mid-century out of nowhere and would have vanished except for magical immortality/supe serum. It never died and never will, as long as classed societies stratified along racial lines exist so will fascism. poo poo's built in baby.

The Stahlhelm was introduced during World War 1 and remained mostly unchanged in the Second World War. It was a very good design for the era, but it too was mass produced stamped steel i.e. nothing exciting. In the effort to expound and expose the mythology of fascism, it may help to not fall for it in the first place. Fascist do-dads were no better by dint of ideology and their cultural and artistic production is best characterized as "poo poo"; so too a considerable proportion of their weapons systems that were, by and large, mass produced at a reasonable clip.

Fascism has an aesthetic that quickly degenerates into kitsch because a popularized aesthetic is the only coherent aspect of fascist regimes. Fascism has no meaningful ideology whatsoever--unless one counts opportunism as ideology--which is largely why so much hot air has been blown trying to define it in digestible terms. Perhaps the defining traits of national socialism and fascism is absolute power and a sort of pathetic nostalgia; national socialism too had its weird racial ideology that didn't make sense even within its own context (not to mention it not differing materially from that of the German Empire). The proponents of the "ideology" were intellectually lazy opportunists and/or brutes installed by the rich as the best alternative to communism in dying liberal democracies. In the end, that is what fascism is/was: the not communism, counter-revolution to save capital's bacon after they tank yet another democracy.

This show serves as a better commentary on contemporary capitalism and imperialism than anything else. The Nazi thing falls flat: the Nazi's were not super anything and they got their asses handed to them by untermensch. I fear that the name "Stormfront" betrays that the writers have fallen for Nazi mythology, but whatever it's a tv show.

Yudo fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 6, 2020

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

boo_radley posted:

We're through the looking glass here people

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

boo_radley posted:

:psyboom:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Stormfront is the name from the comics and specifically a reference to the hard right message board, as well as being an analogue to Marvel's Thor likely as in universe appropriation of Norse mythology.

(Also fitting as comics Stormfront specifically was portrayed as a Superman analogue as well, and Marvel Thor was originally conceived as their own Superman counterpart)

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 6, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

boo_radley posted:

Does this show get points for featuring a great landlord death scene?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Yudo posted:

This show serves as a better commentary on contemporary capitalism and imperialism than anything else. The Nazi thing falls flat: the Nazi's were not super anything and they got their asses handed to them by untermensch. I fear that the name "Stormfront" betrays that the writers have fallen for Nazi mythology, but whatever it's a tv show.

I’m confused here, you think the show thinks Nazis are cool because one of the (bad guy) characters on the show is an ancient Nazi who spreads propaganda?

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m confused here, you think the show thinks Nazis are cool because one of the (bad guy) characters on the show is an ancient Nazi who spreads propaganda?

The show definitely does not think Nazis were "cool," but it is feeding at least a little bit into the myth of Nazis as technologically-advanced super-baddies who were only narrowly defeated by pluck and grit, which is very much A Thing in a lot of media, even media that clearly depicts the Nazis as unqualified villains. It's also a thing a lot of people still believe, despite the fact that the vast majority of "wunderwaffen" never actually worked, their medical "experimentation" had no scientific value, most of their military commanders were methed-out idiots, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Eh, I think it's fine because the underlying point is that only Nazis would actually put so much effort into trying to make supes (Eugenics programmes in the rest of the West conveniently forgotten).

Also I've posted this before, but the show is very clearly doing a 'be careful what you wish for' take on Nazi ideology. Stormfront's ideology is that supes get to run the world as the master race (presumably through a Vought that has transformed from Corporation to government) but it's very clear that every supe on the show is emotionally hosed up in some way or another and that they are very clearly not capable of being in charge of anything without it all rapidly falling apart.

e; it's also a straight riff off the post-war race to get Nazi rocket scientists to the West/East, a thing that actually happened. Vought is Von Braun. The difference is that while Rocketry is ultimately a neutral science, creating genetic supermen is something that's inherently tied to Nazi ideology.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 6, 2020