Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

DogsInSpace! posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! I think everyone had the same realization about Angie Deth One of those time's that reminds me of a movie quote I have no idea where it's from:
"Was that it? Was that your plan?"
"Yeah. Pretty much."
"Bad plan."

yeah, it's weird. because i think the ideas they're going for are neat, they just dropped the ball in making it interesting to interact with. for example, i love how the patriarch is reasonable, honest, forthright, and so on. i also love how he's a tyrant - with good intentions, perhaps, but still a dictator. not quite a benevolent dictator but, like i said, he's pretty much on the level. there's no trope of him betraying you or being a secret monster or whatever. even the revelation deth wants to sell you on (he gives away people to the wasteland gangs) is, sure, terrible... but ultimately pretty much the least worst outcome. yes, it sucks, but this is the post-apocalypse

so, i also appreciate that his opposition is angie deth and her bunch of well-meaning idealists. 'even a pleasant tyrant is still a tyrant, he must fall.' the problem is, i find it very weird that angie deth's plan is basically 'use cyborg genghis khan to take out the league of evil, then unleash him on kansas' when she's so upset about the patriarch's lesser list of crimes. like, do the people of kansas just not matter to her? i could understand that if she was a colorado native, but she's not. she's just a ranger who decided that she had to bring down the patriarch. which is fine! like i said, i kind of see the 'coalition of the willing' analogy going on here, and i like that angela is just like 'rangers oppose tyranny no matter what, he MUST fall.' but i don't think you ever get the chance to press her on kansas or anything like that, so, it just feels a bit weird.

it's a very cool idea for a conflict. but i feel like it just doesn't develop well. 'hey, i'm angie deth, i need you to go break this guy out of the patriarch's black site - oh, didn't i mention he's cyborg genghis khan?' but it's a very fine line to walk to make a conflict between 'well-meaning and reasonable dictator' and 'idealistic but not-in-my-backyard guerilla.' i really do like it but i'm also not sure at all how you could make it work better without making it less interesting. like, it would've sucked had buchanan had a black site filled with innocents he was torturing because he's just so crazy, y'know? both of the options suck, and that's the point. like the hoons say, when the powerful fight it's really the powerless who suffer most. and once angie has power, well... hammers and nails. but angie, what price freedom? what does freedom even mean? is freedom worth anything in a world like wasteland 3? i feel like angie deth would get along with rorsharch: never compromise, even in the face of armageddon. which is really cool, but...

anyway, i aligned with the one honest person in the wasteland, of course, and pledged myself to warlord-queen liberty buchanan as her personal kill-team, long may she reign. talk about presence and go-get-em attitude!

Horizon Burning fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

A Strange Aeon posted:

Add a combat log, full stop. Trying to play a turn based tactical game without it is really annoying because things will happen on AI turns and stuff will explode, status effects will be placed, etc. and it's really difficult to understand what just happened.

I also don't like how after a fight, suddenly being on fire or poisoned is an emergency and you can't pause to figure out what you need to do to fix the situation before someone low on health drops completely unnecessarily.

Inventory menu not pausing the game, hell, the friggin' Escape menu not even pausing the game is the dumbest thing in this game.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
That's obviously something they did for the coop, but it's silly to keep it always running in SP.

But I take solace in knowing that InXile is one of those devs that actively listen to the community. The differences from W2 at launch and a year after with the Director's Cut are pretty drat massive.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

yeah, it's weird. because i think the ideas they're going for are neat, they just dropped the ball in making it interesting to interact with. for example, i love how the patriarch is reasonable, honest, forthright, and so on. i also love how he's a tyrant - with good intentions, perhaps, but still a dictator. not quite a benevolent dictator but, like i said, he's pretty much on the level. there's no trope of him betraying you or being a secret monster or whatever. even the revelation deth wants to sell you on (he gives away people to the wasteland gangs) is, sure, terrible... but ultimately pretty much the least worst outcome. yes, it sucks, but this is the post-apocalypse

so, i also appreciate that his opposition is angie deth and her bunch of well-meaning idealists. 'even a pleasant tyrant is still a tyrant, he must fall.' the problem is, i find it very weird that angie deth's plan is basically 'use cyborg genghis khan to take out the league of evil, then unleash him on kansas' when she's so upset about the patriarch's lesser list of crimes. like, do the people of kansas just not matter to her? i could understand that if she was a colorado native, but she's not. she's just a ranger who decided that she had to bring down the patriarch. which is fine! like i said, i kind of see the 'coalition of the willing' analogy going on here, and i like that angela is just like 'rangers oppose tyranny no matter what, he MUST fall.' but i don't think you ever get the chance to press her on kansas or anything like that, so, it just feels a bit weird.

it's a very cool idea for a conflict. but i feel like it just doesn't develop well. 'hey, i'm angie deth, i need you to go break this guy out of the patriarch's black site - oh, didn't i mention he's cyborg genghis khan?' but it's a very fine line to walk to make a conflict between 'well-meaning and reasonable dictator' and 'idealistic but not-in-my-backyard guerilla.' i really do like it but i'm also not sure at all how you could make it work better without making it less interesting. like, it would've sucked had buchanan had a black site filled with innocents he was torturing because he's just so crazy, y'know? both of the options suck, and that's the point. like the hoons say, when the powerful fight it's really the powerless who suffer most. and once angie has power, well... hammers and nails. but angie, what price freedom? what does freedom even mean? is freedom worth anything in a world like wasteland 3? i feel like angie deth would get along with rorsharch: never compromise, even in the face of armageddon. which is really cool, but...

anyway, i aligned with the one honest person in the wasteland, of course, and pledged myself to warlord-queen liberty buchanan as her personal kill-team, long may she reign. talk about presence and go-get-em attitude!

The crazy thing that causes the most cognitive dissonance is that she's totally willing to let Arizona and Kansas die just to give Colorado a nebulous chance of getting her definition of free. Which is exactly what the Patriarch did. Her huge problem with him is that he paid off the eastern gangs by sending sacrificial prisoners and loot to them. But her own plan us to support Cordite in taking over the gangs and helping him take them east to conquer Kansas in order to 'get them out of our hair for a while' because she doesn't give a poo poo about Kansas. Cordite even admits hes just going to conquer Kansas and turn around to subjugate Colorado too which just makes it and even worse plan!

And she 100% intends to allow Arizona to starve without sending them supplies, which is simply monstrous. In the November Reigns ending you can pull off the coup and still send supplies and she'll just act like thats a neat bonus. In fact, even her plan for Colorado is just ridiculous. She wants to gut the power structure of Colorado and just hope things turn out better without things falling to pieces. She won't even commit to helping them figure out what 'better' looks like, her plan is to just kill anyone who starts getting power that she thinks is bad until only the good people are left in charge. Which is barely any different from being a tyrant herself and means a lot more people die.

So she is FAR more evil than Buchanon. If her plan goes off like she wants it to thats two states completely hosed over by her decisions and another one thrown into anarchy. I wouldn't call her an idealist, she's just a loving terrorist who decided to take down the Patriarch and doesn't give a poo poo who gets hurt in her pursuit of that. The only thing I regret about killing her is that you have to kill Pistol Pete and Brother Thomas too. The November Reigns ending is obviously the perfect ending but its way too clean and boring for my tastes.

If they do a Directers Cut of the game I'd really like them to make her and Liberty's endings a bit more justifiable to choose compared to the others.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 6, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
That's encouraging if W2's update was substantial; I must have only played the Director's Cut and was really happy with the level of polish. Seems like there's good reason to think they'll shine up 3 as well, given time.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

blizzardvizard posted:

Inventory menu not pausing the game, hell, the friggin' Escape menu not even pausing the game is the dumbest thing in this game.

YES! I forgot that completely but yes. Pause the game inside the inventory. I actually wonder if that might clear up some of the CtD as it is still running the game while windowing the inventory/character. Just an uneducated hunch.

A Strange Aeon posted:

That's encouraging if W2's update was substantial; I must have only played the Director's Cut and was really happy with the level of polish. Seems like there's good reason to think they'll shine up 3 as well, given time.
I don't work for inXile but you can tell those guys really do love their game. W2 still had some issues but Directors Cut addressed most of it, including the CtD. I have faith.

Horizon Burning posted:

Nephthys posted:

The crazy thing that causes the most cognitive dissonance is that she's totally willing to let Arizona and Kansas die just to give Colorado a nebulous chance of getting her definition of free. Which is exactly what the Patriarch did. Her huge problem with him is that he paid off the eastern gangs by sending sacrificial prisoners and loot to them. But her own plan us to support Cordite in taking over the gangs and helping him take them east to conquer Kansas in order to 'get them out of our hair for a while' because she doesn't give a poo poo about Kansas. Cordite even admits hes just going to conquer Kansas and turn around to subjugate Colorado too which just makes it and even worse plan!
If they do a Directers Cut of the game I'd really like them to make her and Liberty's endings a bit more justifiable to choose compared to the others.

Spoiling only part as we had some of this talk already, part of it goes back to earlier games and trying to cut down on big blocks of black. A couple of things they should do is add more in game to Deth and some alternative groups to the Patriarch. Deth is easy. She has massive PTSD and trauma. She should be a sympathetic character and was a protagonist. She grew up to fight the big evil and, time and time again, lost everyone near her. Best friends, love of her life, these new Ranger kids she became mom for. We talked about it earlier but in my game I had the four custom starting Ranger characters all 14 to 16 years old. Granted that is user defined but she does go on when meeting you about how you guys are kids. She adopts your team and watches over you, like a mom, until ordered to go do a solo mission. She leaves and has faith you guys will do well. In the very beginning of W3 it mentions everyone died. Her boss and best bud, her other surviving friend and her adopted kids. All died to stop the bad guys. From personal experience I know you take this poo poo hard. She is absolutely driven by guilt and loss and needs help... but the Wasteland don't have lots of therapists. In a better world she'd be taken off the front lines but here she is given another top mission and disappears. We find out later she goes Rogue. If she was in her right mind she would know better but all she can think is "NO MORE!" She doesn't need a bullet to the head and even worse is casting her out alone in the wastes. She needs to be sent to inactive status indefinitely but taken back to base where she is cared for. She still can contribute but Woodson shouldn't stick her back out there for a really long time, if ever. He did so because they were short handed and he figured "Ol Angela Deth always gets poo poo done". It is a common failure in real life. If Angela thought about it rationally for one second she would realize what she is doing. She would see her sending a worse evil to Kansas that WILL come back to haunt them and she would never abandon Arizona. But she is not in her right mind. Always appreciated the old game Spec Ops: The Line for handling things like PTSD and psychological trauma. Wish they'd expand on that theme. Angela was cool and hell... she was you back in the day. Your guy could easily turn into her if things go bad.

Other Factions. Liberty is interesting. loving swagger. Loved meeting her. Sadly she really is a worse version of her father. Thought it was perfect if you help her you pretty much just leave and get nothing. As she is presented she would do that. You get to live and that is her gift to you. Don't get me wrong as she has massive style but she isn't anything more than another Genghis Khan. She is going to take Colo Springs and wipe out any of the 100 families that are a little too slow bowing, if she doesn't just kill them on principle. She is smooth though. I wouldn't mind them giving her some more as well as just more in general. The Fishers are still a cool antagonist faction. In no way am I thinking they are awesome but they are a great bit of flavour. They saw the world die in fire and the gods turn their back on the earth as it was covered in radioactive dust and ash. Eventually this tribe gains power and begs them to come back with sacrifices of their enemies. They make kites of the fallen to reach the heavens so the gods will see again and come back to their children who failed them. Really, really good stuff. Seriously wish that was in a movie. If I was a leader and encountered these nutters I would do anything to make them go away, if I couldn't kill them wipe them out. Don't fault the Patriarch at all. Bonus was the ability to get rid of violent criminals and people who might disrupt the nation. It's cold but this is the post apocalypse and nice guys normally get eaten or made into a kite. Ironclad? Destined Ruler of Kansas, dangerous cyborg leader of a gang of dangerous cyborgs? The Patriarch should have put a bullet in him instead of keeping him prisoner. Dude has no desire to change nor gets softer when he hangs with you. If you don't kill the Patriarch he leaves and swears revenge. If you do yeah he leaves to go conquer Kansas but this guy still loathes the weak and soft. When you ask him about slavery he straight up says "a true man would free himself if he didn't want to remain a slave." Don't get me wrong I thought he also had panache and a certain brutal charm. Also liked he has a "join him in conquering Kansas" ending but he is in no way a good guy and I'm hoping he comes back as a villain for Wasteland 4. He wouldn't hate you if you did what he wanted, but if you wish to be free you must prove your own destiny. He certainly has more style and gravitas than Fishlips. What a maroon.

I say out of all the factions in Colorado you got three good ones. Machine Commune are super cool and my buds, the Monster Army are fun and my buds though maybe keep an eye on them as next ruler might long for the good old days and the ol Patriarch. The Patriarch may not be the prettiest option but it is the safest. Still think the peaceful revolution option is going to be chaotic and weakly led unless the Rangers stick around and then you abandon Arizona. If just you stay around then you are just one outside guy and ... people can turn on you. The entire Rangers sticking around makes a powerful group that can not be easily gotten rid of so it should keep both internal enemies quiet as well as strong enough to deal with the outside guys. Again, in that case you are abandoning Colorado. If your Ranger stays and becomes a pal to the Patriarch before he passes? You are no longer an outsider but adopted son of the Patriarch and his chosen and trusted successor/advisor.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 6, 2020

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I do have a feeling that Wasteland 4 may be set in Kansas. Cordite heading over there in most endings seems like good set up for a sequel and then Scotchmo also heads over there too in the end.

One thing that struck me with Wasteland 2 is that alot of the problems in the game are because of how useless the Rangers are outside of the PC's. They have this high-minded ideal of upholding justice but they refuse to take an active leadership role in Arizona. In fact they make a truly baffling decision to abandon their old HQ which is centrally placed and near a lot of the regions settlements and then are flummoxed when they can't respond to attacks quickly enough and raiders inhabit their old HQ and start asserting control in the region. With this in mind regarding Wasteland 3 I fully agree that them taking over for the Patriarch is the best option currently in the game. The Rangers are the Good Guys of the setting and are the ones best suited to leading things back towards true civilisation but they need to actually take a role in moving things towards that to be effective. A peaceful transition after establishing good relationships with everyone in the region is clearly the best option for Colorado going forward. It's also refreshing that the game shows that violently overthrowing a dictatorship doesn't magically make things super awesome and instead tends to just cause widespread destabilization and death, which isn't something a lot of american media likes to acknowledge.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 6, 2020

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Horizon Burning posted:

HAIL!

DogsInSpace! posted:

Other Factions. Liberty is interesting. loving swagger. Loved meeting her. Sadly she really is a worse version of her father. Thought it was perfect if you help her you pretty much just leave and get nothing.

I killed all her gangs and the Colorado Rangers replaced the Dorseys as her top killers and ruled the wastes together.

Edit: It's also the most feminist ending considering all the male bodies you have to step over to get there. Dee Sharp is in charge of the Scar Collectors, Risky Briskett is I guess running the juggalos and the Dorseys and Godfishers are all but wiped out as far as I know. There are basically no men left in positions of power.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 7, 2020

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Reclaimer posted:

HAIL!

I killed all her gangs and the Colorado Rangers replaced the Dorseys as her top killers and ruled the wastes together.

:hai:

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Reclaimer posted:

HAIL!

Wait.... really? Did you have to kill Iron, Fishy and her little brother? That reminds me of Iron's ending... which is cool. If so tell me how and I may have found a new happy ending. ALL HAIL THE EMPRESS OF BLOOD!

edit: I can't play at the moment but if anyone has a high SMG user could you test and see if the level 8 perk Stormer let's you use Spray and Pray or Puncturing shot for free? I don't think so but can't test and want to make sure OP has up to date info.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 7, 2020

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Wait.... really? Did you have to kill Iron, Fishy and her little brother? That reminds me of Iron's ending... which is cool. If so tell me how and I may have found a new happy ending. ALL HAIL THE EMPRESS OF BLOOD!

edit: I can't play at the moment but if anyone has a high SMG user could you test and see if the level 8 perk Stormer let's you use Spray and Pray or Puncturing shot for free? I don't think so but can't test and want to make sure OP has up to date info.

I can check on it later but I'm almost positive it doesn't work on skills.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I called her an idiot with a weak power base and then arrested her.

I love hard rear end.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Killed my first roboscorpion thanks to the Morningstar beam cannon. Death to all traces of Reagan. gently caress his AI car.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

DogsInSpace! posted:

Killed Ironclad in his cell, never recruited Fishlips - just told him to get the gently caress out of my way - and Victor killed himself while doing his "I'm the Joker, baby!" routine. Steel Trap was killed by Dee Sharp loyalists and Lecherito and Star-That-Dreams killed each other and I manually tore the Dorseys apart root and stem at every possible opportunity. I did everything in my power to undermine Liberty's powerbase and brought no named companions to the final showdown/sellout.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wrr posted:

Killed my first roboscorpion thanks to the Morningstar beam cannon. Death to all traces of Reagan. gently caress his AI car.

I need to try that once. I feel bad for the AI though. I really learned nothing from the last two games. I guess Gary Wolffe would call me a simp and race traitor. Again. God that character irritates me. Doesn't help I only recruited him ONCE in W2 and he was :mediocre: For any curious about getting him in W2: you have to get to say nice thing to a DBM npc you might miss by the cowboys, get to the Followers base without bumping into any of the DBM getting there as you will fight them, leave your guide behind after titan then go find the way to their hidden base while fighting everyone except the DBM (some are just marked militia if I remember or something generic but not raider). After all that you got to refuse to help the head of the DBM yet still later on send him the missile. You weren't an ally so he isn't terribly nice and they charge a toll to cross again but you do get Gary NACL Wolffe. He's not a great follower and his low HP/STR hurts his usefulness (You get him at level 20 and only get an attribute point at 30 and 40). You also neglect the Peace option which turns out badly for everyone but nets you a companion that, while his stats are a bit shite, has a loving great sacrifice ending. If you play W2 the two best sacrifice endings are a Rail Nomad (hard to keep alive at the last battle) and this Follower of Titan companion named Corran Cain. His party banter was fairly good as well.

Reclaimer posted:

Killed Ironclad in his cell, never recruited Fishlips - just told him to get the gently caress out of my way - and Victor killed himself while doing his "I'm the Joker, baby!" routine. Steel Trap was killed by Dee Sharp loyalists and Lecherito and Star-That-Dreams killed each other and I manually tore the Dorseys apart root and stem at every possible opportunity. I did everything in my power to undermine Liberty's powerbase and brought no named companions to the final showdown/sellout.

Hmmmmm... well I got my next run plan. All hail the Queen! I will say that I am impressed they gave her AND Cordite an ending. Hell two endings as the internet says the main one she gives is just a "get out and you suck". Wonder if gender plays a part. My main one I keep reloading from has my main ranger is super charismatic lady field medic and SMG expert. Deffo my plan now. This game has a lot of endings.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 7, 2020

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

DogsInSpace! posted:

After some testing here is what I've got. Stormer works with your special attack but not Spray and Pray. Spray and Pray after Stormer is actually worse because it still charges you the 5 AP but you don't get the free shot afterward. I didn't know that about Stormer working with your special attack and was a nice surprise.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Just met the machine commune. gently caress the rest of the wasteland I work for them now. These guys know whats up. I love every single one of these weirdos.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

After some testing here is what I've got. Stormer works with your special attack but not Spray and Pray. Spray and Pray after Stormer is actually worse because it still charges you the 5 AP but you don't get the free shot afterward. I didn't know that about Stormer working with your special attack and was a nice surprise.

Awesome. I will add to OP right after this. Thank you for testing.

Wrr posted:

Just met the machine commune. gently caress the rest of the wasteland I work for them now. These guys know whats up. I love every single one of these weirdos.

You actually bump into a W2 borg and can attempt to make a peace as well. Seriously a DLC needs to make them the feel good faction. Let me march with my RoboComrades to bring a better way to the wastelands. Proletaribots Unite!

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
"Patch 1.1.2 "Save Scummers Delight" Now Live"

I am seen

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now
Oh yes, load times are like a third of before. Opening the inventory/stats is also now instant.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I beat the game with the following ending:

I took out the Liberty gangs by having Dee Sharp take over the SC and the Payasos and Godfishers murder each other. I had hunted the Dorseys down before reaching Yuma. Leading up to Yuma, I had also killed Cordite and Fishlips because gently caress slavers and cannibals in this run and arrested Vic and Val.

So after arresting Liberty, I arrested the Patriarch, who was found guilty but served out his life sentence in jail, and invited Woodson to Colorado. Woodson coming to Colorado seemed to cause Angie Deth to disappear. Sadly Kwon didn't like my coup and left us, but Lucia stayed as go-between for 100 Families. Other than losing oil because gently caress AI Reagan, the ending seemed mostly good to me?

I'm sure there is a happier ending, but overall I enjoyed this game immensely. I'm trying to decide what my next playthrough should be as I had a max Luck pistol shooter, sneaky sniper, tanky brawler and max Charisma AR shooter.

I didn't get to any of the body mods or animal companion stuff so I'm wondering if there are characters to build out that way. Also looking to probably try a more evil run where everyone is murdered or enslaved this time.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Hm, starting the game today, it won't start properly. It loads, then I get the "press A or click to continue", then I'm just stuck at a menu-less screen with a roboscorpion on it forever.

Anyone had that issue?

Guess I'll try a reinstall. I'm starting to think the GamePass version is just generally hosed though.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Gort posted:

Hm, starting the game today, it won't start properly. It loads, then I get the "press A or click to continue", then I'm just stuck at a menu-less screen with a roboscorpion on it forever.

Anyone had that issue?

Guess I'll try a reinstall. I'm starting to think the GamePass version is just generally hosed though.

If you're on gamepass you have to make sure you signed in, also I had to restart it once when I first used it.

edit : pretty much every game on gamepass you have to make sure you let it sign you in for it to work

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Man, Gamepass is such jank. Yeah, it was trying to "sync game UI data" or some crap, but didn't think to ask me to sign in to allow it, so it just hung on that first screen.

Thanks for the pointers!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Make sure you have the Xbox app installed on your PC as well. When I played the Gamepass version I was launching directly from the Microsoft Store and was having that issue and turns out it was because I didn't have the Xbox app.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cyborg Scotchmo with an adrenal enhancer and jackhammer is god drat amazing.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Gamepass has some weird crypto thing going on to keep anyone from making a copy of the game. PC Gamepass should still be in beta but well they wanted more money so it's no longer in beta and costs more. :rip: gamepass for me, but I did get my $1 worth out of it for playing wasteland 3.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So everyone in the san luxe apartments is long dead after the quest involving clones there made everyone aggro me. Has that broken the disappeared quest?

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Hey all! I'm just getting into this game and keep restarting, I'm sure many of you are familiar. I've only made it as far a a couple locations in the world map, I think I have a good squad for the long haul playing on hardcore.

Hoping yall could provide some :siren: spoiler free :siren: tips and pointers. Especially which skills to invest in first?

Shaggy: Melee and Murder Drugs. Also Charms animals. Survival Skills.
Velma: Sniper with Nerd stuff weird science and toaster repair.
Fred: Heavy weapons leadership also mechanic.
Daphne: Sneaky Brawler with Lockpick and Explosives. Hard rear end.

Mashal Guy: Kiss rear end and Barter dump
Gunslinger girl: weapon armor mod dump.

Whoever I pick up I plan on always having my main 4. Thanks!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

stay on top of lockpick and nerd stuff, checks for those two ramp up pretty quickly. you dont need to invest in survival past 5. fire weapons falloff in damage pretty quickly after the bizarre. explosives is good to get up if you plan on using rocket launchers + the perk for not triggering landmines

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

BBQ Dave posted:

Shouldn't Gunslinger girl be the Barter dump since she starts with Barter?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

Hey all! I'm just getting into this game and keep restarting, I'm sure many of you are familiar. I've only made it as far a a couple locations in the world map, I think I have a good squad for the long haul playing on hardcore.

Hoping yall could provide some :siren: spoiler free :siren: tips and pointers. Especially which skills to invest in first?

Survival isn't really necessary until late in the game when you have points to spare. Random Encounters aren't common and compensate you in ammo afterwards so aren't a drain on resources while giving you free exp so its actually good to fight them rather than avoid them. Toaster Repair is another skill that isn't really that necessary to have on a main Ranger.

I'd consider moving one of the other characters skills over to Shaggy, like Armor mods, Explosives, Toaster Repair or Hard rear end. It kind of seems like you might be giving 5 skills to Daphne right now (Sneak, Brawl, Lockpick, Explode, Hard rear end?) which is a no-no. Having 3 main skills and then 1 minor one that you just throw only a few points into is the recommended spread outside of taking Pointdexter. Gunslinger girl does really well spending a level to give her 3 points in Animal Whisperer and a cat for instance.

A good idea also is to give Velma Sneaky poo poo for huge sneak attack opening shots with the sniper.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 13, 2020

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

Toaster Repair pairs well with fire based weaponry more than sniper rifles. Sneaky poo poo pairs better with sniper rifles.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Servetus posted:

Toaster Repair pairs well with fire based weaponry more than sniper rifles. Sneaky poo poo pairs better with sniper rifles.explosives

fixed

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Wow thanks for all the advice :kiss: totally starting over again wheeeee!

Upmarket Mango posted:

stay on top of lockpick and nerd stuff, checks for those two ramp up pretty quickly. you dont need to invest in survival past 5. fire weapons falloff in damage pretty quickly after the bizarre. explosives is good to get up if you plan on using rocket launchers + the perk for not triggering landmines

Thanks... good to know about lockpick and nerd stuff.

Nephthys posted:

I'd consider moving one of the other characters skills over to Shaggy, like Armor mods, Explosives, Toaster Repair or Hard rear end.

Dude. Did you ever see the show? Can't give Shaggy Hard rear end! He's a dirty hippy so lockpick is ok...

---->now in order of leveling importance<---
Shaggy: Lockpick. Melee. Animals. Survival Skills.
Velma: Nerd stuff. Sniper. Weird science. Sneaky poo poo.
Fred: Heavy. Leadership. Mechanics. Toaster repair.
Daphne: Sneaky poo poo. Unarmed. Explosives. Hard rear end.
Marshal Guy: Kiss rear end. Assault. Armor mod
Gunslinger girl: barter. Small Arms. Weapon mod

Idea is I scout with Daphne, bring up Shaggy to pick locks, start ambushes with Daphne's explosives. Keep Fred near Velma & the other "guest stars" (I hope there's a Harlem globetrotter party member! :v: ) so they gets his leadership aura. Oh crap ... first aid. Guest stars get first aid... maybe Velma. I'll keep survival low, rush nerd stuff and lockpick. Thanks again all!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Unarmed is kind of crap until it's rank 10, and even then it's not really too hot. You would be better off with small arms. Shotguns own own own own owwwwwn.

Unarmed isn't too great because at most you can kill/lockdown 1 dude. With a shotgun you can kill several.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ded posted:

Unarmed is kind of crap until it's rank 10, and even then it's not really too hot. You would be better off with small arms. Shotguns own own own own owwwwwn.

Unarmed isn't too great because at most you can kill/lockdown 1 dude. With a shotgun you can kill several.

shotguns confirmed for ridiculously good.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

shotguns confirmed for ridiculously good.

They don't become outright broken until the Jackhammer though and you can't have more than one Jackhammer until very late in the game. No more than 2 shotgunners in the squad IMO.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

BBQ Dave posted:

Dude. Did you ever see the show? Can't give Shaggy Hard rear end! He's a dirty hippy so lockpick is ok...

I was figuring you could go with the whole Ultra Instinct Shaggy meme, but your new build looks good.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Having beaten the game with the idea that law and order is important I decided not to go along with Angela Deth's plan to make a raider king and send him out to Kansas to slaughter the people there. So now Arizona is doing fine!