Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

My work is now just far enough that I can't run commute both ways (5.5 miles one way by the short route, 7.5 by the pleasurable route) and I'm debating whether to keep bikeshare commuting or not in the Boston area. The pros for the bikeshare are that there's convenient docks at both ends, don't have to worry about maintenance, membership is subsidized so it's very cheap ($30/year), and I can also bike one way and run the other without having to worry about the bike (I do the bike/run double all the time; though we do have a covered cage at my job). The con is that the bikes are heavy and I'm working pretty hard to go much above 12 mph on the bike path, I can't dial in fit (but I'm reasonably comfortable on them), and I don't have a bike that I can take on rides longer than 45 minutes. Basically, I think for it to be worth it, I'd need a decent road bike that'd be nice for weekend cruising, but it seems like most people don't use good road bikes for commuting; even if I got a road bike to solve the weekend riding issue, would I want to use it in place of the bike share? Looking for opinions from people who've been commuting a lot longer than I have.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

My work is now just far enough that I can't run commute both ways (5.5 miles one way by the short route, 7.5 by the pleasurable route) and I'm debating whether to keep bikeshare commuting or not in the Boston area. The pros for the bikeshare are that there's convenient docks at both ends, don't have to worry about maintenance, membership is subsidized so it's very cheap ($30/year), and I can also bike one way and run the other without having to worry about the bike (I do the bike/run double all the time; though we do have a covered cage at my job). The con is that the bikes are heavy and I'm working pretty hard to go much above 12 mph on the bike path, I can't dial in fit (but I'm reasonably comfortable on them), and I don't have a bike that I can take on rides longer than 45 minutes. Basically, I think for it to be worth it, I'd need a decent road bike that'd be nice for weekend cruising, but it seems like most people don't use good road bikes for commuting; even if I got a road bike to solve the weekend riding issue, would I want to use it in place of the bike share? Looking for opinions from people who've been commuting a lot longer than I have.

I commute (in the beforetimes, my office is still closed) on what I think most people would consider a good road bike. It's actually a cyclocross bike, but I've set it up with fenders, a dynamo light, and racks, and it's still nice enough that I like riding it for fun whenever it's wet or dark.
It's hard to argue with the economics of $30/year for the bikeshare - nothing is going to be cheaper than that, so think you're on the right track with making sure that whatever you get is going to work for recreational riding, too. I'd suggest you figure out what kind of budget and riding style you have in mind for that, and we can probably make better recommendations with that info.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

$30/yr for a commuter bike you do zero mx to and don’t worry about at all is totally worth it, I’d keep doing that and just get a nice bike to enjoy when you’re not commuting or for the occasional commute.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

My work is now just far enough that I can't run commute both ways (5.5 miles one way by the short route, 7.5 by the pleasurable route) and I'm debating whether to keep bikeshare commuting or not in the Boston area.

The con is that the bikes are heavy and I'm working pretty hard to go much above 12 mph on the bike path
The tires on the Blue bikes feel like they're almost solid, which is the worst part about them. The 2nd worst is the relatively low gearing on the bikes.

quote:

Basically, I think for it to be worth it, I'd need a decent road bike that'd be nice for weekend cruising, but it seems like most people don't use good road bikes for commuting; even if I got a road bike to solve the weekend riding issue, would I want to use it in place of the bike share? Looking for opinions from people who've been commuting a lot longer than I have.

I have ridden a couple of my commuter bikes on the occasional long weekend ride, and it wasn't as fast as on a nice road bike, but it was still good.
One ride, the forecast called for rain, and I intentionally took a commuter for the fenders, and it was the right choice.

How tall are you? I have my commuter langushing in the basement of my office in DTX, unused since lockdown started. You could borrow it to see if a dedicated commuter works for your commute, which sounds pretty similar to mine -- 4.5 over Longfellow, 6 on the bike path.

Also, why you avoiding the Boston thread? :thunk:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Sauer posted:

I find straight bars incredibly uncomfortable, but my wrists are trashed from years of computer touching and factory work. First modification I made to my Trek was putting some no name 35 degree sweep bars on it. They're not bad but I've been eying a set of Jone's H Bars for a while.

Try them for sure. You'd be surprised how much the extra sweep feels. And you can sell them on with not too much loss if you don't like them.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
For 5.5 to 7 miles around Boston, get a dedicated commuter and learn to fix it yourself. You'll get much better enjoyment out of it and be able to maintain your own stuff after a bit.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

jojoinnit posted:

This is accurate, but sometimes people leave them at the wrong end of the stairs, hence the helpful ramps. Worst is when all the dry ones are taken and you have to go into the canals where we keep all the excess bikes in cold water storage. Sometimes tourists or immigrants don't understand this and use locks, which is when you give the traditional Dutch greeting of "cancer *ethnicity*!" and helpfully display Dutch values with a pair of traditional wooden bolt-cutters ("clogs" in English).
:perfect:

Giant Metal Robot posted:

I will. I'm more surprised that every hybrid I've bought has had wider bars than the last. Are these actually comfortable for people outside of mountain biking?
They're only comfy on slack bikes with short stems. You need all the elements, but in general super wide bars are annoying in busy traffic. They also can't be straight for obvious reasons.
Also please don't cut bars with hacksaws, use pipe-cutters or at least a guide.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 5, 2020

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

BeastPussy posted:

For 5.5 to 7 miles around Boston, get a dedicated commuter and learn to fix it yourself. You'll get much better enjoyment out of it and be able to maintain your own stuff after a bit.

N+1 is always a good strategy!

But seriously if you plan on doing your own maintenance and have to wait for parts to be delivered then multiple bikes is pretty mandatory if you don't want downtime.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I use the city bikes when I'm doing my business in Paris proper, but otherwise you'd want your own bike, if Boston's anything like Paris.

1 out of 5 shared bikes actually works great.
3 out of 5 are middling and have problems that don't stop you from riding, but really don't make it pleasant to varying degrees.
1 out of 5 are broken to the point of being unusable.

If that scale is 1 to 5, 1 being best, I usually end up getting 3's and 4's with the occasional 2. I run across more 5's than I do 1's.

Maybe it's a Parisian thing, but these bikes are treated like poo poo.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

evil_bunnY posted:

:perfect:

They're only comfy on slack bikes with short stems. You need all the elements, but in general super wide bars are annoying in busy traffic. They also can't be straight for obvious reasons.
Also please don't cut bars with hacksaws, use pipe-cutters or at least a guide.

Found my pipecutter. After having to ride 20 inch bars on a short-term replacement bike all summer, my sense of what traffic I can squeeze between comfortably is very messed up. I've nibbled down these bars to about 24 inches. Probably have one or two more cuts to go.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMed1qceJ_Q

For the people who were calling the Dutch-language bike terminology dumb, watch this!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

"Cyclelist?" Is that a tronno thing?

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Man, the Dutch don't know poo poo about commuting by bike to work. Everyday in Ouagadougou, I'd see hundreds of men, women, women with children, elderly people, all biking on ancient step-through bikes and they'd just leave them on the side of the road with no locks or nothing when they got to their destination.

Let me know when I can leave my bike unlocked in Amsterdam and it won't be stolen. Land of upright men indeed

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Entropist posted:

For the people who were calling the Dutch-language bike terminology dumb, watch this!

Hey this is where the guy starts talking about Entropist: https://youtu.be/vMed1qceJ_Q?t=5m8s

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Entropist posted:

My takeaway here was that the English language doesn’t have enough words for people who ride bikes.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mauser posted:

Man, the Dutch don't know poo poo about commuting by bike to work. Everyday in Ouagadougou, I'd see hundreds of men, women, women with children, elderly people, all biking on ancient step-through bikes and they'd just leave them on the side of the road with no locks or nothing when they got to their destination.

Let me know when I can leave my bike unlocked in Amsterdam and it won't be stolen. Land of upright men indeed

That's awesome. I wish I had the funds to see how long a bike can go unlocked without being stolen around in Paris, but something tells me it's not very long.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Will my throat ever adjust to biking in cold weather or am I just going to have a cough forever? I have a buff for really cold weather, but I'd rather not wear it on slightly cold days if I could be building up some tolerance instead.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm a bike nut and I'm trying to help my boyfriend pick one out as he needs to do a 1-mile commute to work. He's from China and claims he's not used to spending more than $10 on a bike, so he's setting an arbitrarily low budget of around ~$350.

My first instinct was to go straight to BikesDirect, but just about everything is sold out right now, and I measured him and he needs a 50cm frame which are even harder to nab. Lastly none of the BikesDirect stuff includes fenders or a rack which seem like minimum requirements for him.

Should I just have him preorder a $300 road bike from there which ship in a month, and grab fenders/rack from Amazon? Or is there a better place to source a bike at that budget? Seems like slim pickings on Craigslist right now.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Literally any functional bike is acceptable for a one mile commute. The question comes down to what sort of bike is worth fixing when it is no longer functional.

Bikes direct is okay, but I would not recommend it (or any mail order) to somebody who is not familiar enough with bikes to perform a good safety check.

If your boyfriend wants something cheap, I would recommend just getting the cheapest used bike that gives a functional* test ride that isn't a department store brand.

*My definition of minimally functional:
-No headset play
-minimal wheel play
-minimal bottom bracket play
-can push shifter as far as is goes without going into spokes
-brakes can at least lock up rear wheel.
-seatpost not stuck
-tires hold air

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Mauser posted:

... which is why I use my folder when I'm there and take it with me into offices and resturants.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Will my throat ever adjust to biking in cold weather or am I just going to have a cough forever? I have a buff for really cold weather, but I'd rather not wear it on slightly cold days if I could be building up some tolerance instead.

I want to say you'll adjust? I'm from the North-east in the US and have a pretty good tolerance for the cold and it's just something you get used to. It's been between 10-15 degrees celsius and rainy in the Paris area for the last two weeks, and most cyclists are breaking out rain gear and heavier clothing and I keep getting works for wearing nothing but a t-shirt, shorts, and gloves, but frankly the trip and action heats me up enough.

That said, I do plan on breaking out a muffler for my neck once we start to dip under 8 degrees, if I don't wear a heavier jacket than a windbreaker.

I find drinking fresh ginger-infused hot water really helps for small throat issues. Just make sure it's lost of finely shaved/chopped ginger. Add lime and/or honey if the flavor's too strong.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It seems like just wearing a buff type thing around my neck helps in the cold when I'm breathing hard- doesn't even have to be over my face. I don't ride much when it's really cold out but do run and xc ski, sometimes when it's well below freezing.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know if "tolerance" to throat irritation is a thing. I do find myself not noticing it being as big a deal after a month or so of colder weather riding though. I definitely wear a buff when cold, I don't like being uncomfortable.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I guess I'll find out either way. I've always had cold-weather asthma, but somehow biking hasn't triggered it. I gave myself some sort of upper-respiratory infection from riding in the cold last winter, but I think the buff will prevent that this year.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Are you mouth breathing both inhale and exhale? I try to set up my buff so exhaling through the nose doesn’t fog up as much. That’ll keep your sinus from drying out as fast.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm very much a mouth breather, during both exertion and normal conditions. I think this is why I keep getting a cough.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

100YrsofAttitude posted:

That's awesome. I wish I had the funds to see how long a bike can go unlocked without being stolen around in Paris, but something tells me it's not very long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmXefaY6coo

You can check out the first couple minutes if you want to see some shots of people cycling in Burkina. Also a good bit of the dialogue is in French, in case you've never heard some West African accents, which I assume is not that case if you live in Paris. The rest is obviously about the annual race the Tour du Faso.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Zero VGS posted:

Should I just have him preorder a $300 road bike from there which ship in a month, and grab fenders/rack from Amazon? Or is there a better place to source a bike at that budget? Seems like slim pickings on Craigslist right now.

Around here (which is, I think, far from you but whatever) Facebook Marketplace is usually full of bikes for sale for well under $300. About $200 for something that *probably* fits CopperHound's very good list, and you might be able to get the seller to measure the frame for you.

Here's my tip-shop frankenbike in current, entirely-rideable condition. Since we're talking about budgets, I think I'm into this for a grand total of around $250-$300 including all accessories and bike-specific tools.
My bike in current configuration by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Yesterday was a day off for almost everyone at my university (because the Vice Chancellor AKA President AKA CEO has declared a budget crisis and is obsessed with "leave liability") so I rode my bike to the local bike shops and picked up
- new pedals with open-sided simple plastic toe clips
- fenders
- a mirror
- a U-lock (not pictured)

Now I feel like I can actually commute! I am planning to make my first attempt on Friday. This morning I had my last session of a little exercise project I'm enrolled in, and I felt like doubling up on cardio would be a bad idea. Tomorrow I have a meeting earlier than I usually get to work so I don't want to gamble on how long it will take me to ride / walk up the hill. Excuses, excuses, but Friday is looking very good.

\/\/\/\/ an excellent idea that I wish I'd thought of myself a few months ago when I got overwhelmed by the random weirdness on local FB / Gumtree. *squints at bad phone picture* "Why do they want $400 for that? And does that include the children's tricycle in the background? And the dog?"

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 7, 2020

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

CopperHound posted:

If your boyfriend wants something cheap, I would recommend just getting the cheapest used bike that gives a functional* test ride that isn't a department store brand.

In addition to the list, and as a person who doesn't know brands very well, I'd suggest just searching whatever model you come across and crossing it off the list if it shows up in walmart as an easy way to identify department store brands

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm very much a mouth breather, during both exertion and normal conditions. I think this is why I keep getting a cough.

kimbo305 posted:

Are you mouth breathing both inhale and exhale? I try to set up my buff so exhaling through the nose doesn’t fog up as much. That’ll keep your sinus from drying out as fast.

I like to run for exercise in the winter rather than bike, and I have found that inhaling via a partially closed mouth and exhaling through the nose really helps to prevent mucous membrane and lung irritation, especially when it's bitterly cold and dry. Increasing the passage length and the turbulence of the inspired air through your mouth helps warm and moisten it before exposing it to your lungs, and it gives the more sensitive and drier passages in your nose a break by only being exposed to moving air coming out of your lungs. The downside is that it does restrict your airflow, so you may have to take it a bit easier to avoid getting winded and consciously fight the urge to gasp, but I've also found that you can relax a bit once your body has warmed up (usually 5-10 min in). You might try this in combination with the buff if you haven't already.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
First bike commute in at least 11 years this morning. I made it about halfway up the hill at the end before I stopped for a rest (and got passed by somebody in better shape than me, but he at least gave me the nice Aussie "How ya goin', mate?" as he powered past). I'm stupidly happy to have taken this picture of my bike at the rack just outside my office.

First bike commute for me in Armidale by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Going home is going to extra fun. Not just because it's Friday and the weather is lovely, but also because my brakes + this hill are going to be terrifying exhilarating.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

^hell yes

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

ExecuDork posted:

First bike commute in at least 11 years this morning. I made it about halfway up the hill at the end before I stopped for a rest (and got passed by somebody in better shape than me, but he at least gave me the nice Aussie "How ya goin', mate?" as he powered past). I'm stupidly happy to have taken this picture of my bike at the rack just outside my office.

First bike commute for me in Armidale by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Going home is going to extra fun. Not just because it's Friday and the weather is lovely, but also because my brakes + this hill are going to be terrifying exhilarating.

:hellyeah:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Congrats but yes hills are terrifying downhill and I'm dreading how often I'll have to change mine this winter due to the combo of regular rain and steep inclines.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

First bike commute in at least 11 years this morning.
heck ye

ExecuDork posted:

remember, short deliberate braking (no trail braking), and brake before the turn. you got this.

mate.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I survived the descent!
I will take a different route home tomorrow, the way I went had an annoying re-climb after the long descent, and the bike lane is poorly maintained, full of debris and gravel. The bike path I took up is the better choice, even though it's a longer distance (slightly). My lack of access to the largest cog on the crank means I can't really take advantage of fast conditions.

Am I correct in thinking that trail braking means trying to slowly reduce speed by dragging only the rear brake? I try not to do that anyway but I'd like to know more about why it's bad.

EDIT- thanks very much for all the encouragement, everyone!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ExecuDork posted:

Am I correct in thinking that trail braking means trying to slowly reduce speed by dragging only the rear brake? I try not to do that anyway but I'd like to know more about why it's bad.

EDIT- thanks very much for all the encouragement, everyone!
Trail braking is braking lightly for longer as you enter a corner. In some cars it can be useful. On a bike you're just putting heat into your braking system for no good reason. Brake firmly, release as you increase your steering input.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I need trailer brakes.

And also a new rim strip.

One of them let go during the last km of our Costco and Cabelas run. Fortunately it only took my wife a few minutes to get the truck to bail me out. 100lbs worth of stuff would have destroyed that tire if I'd kept going.

Shopping is so much more fun by bike.

Edit: didn't yard sale it or anything, that pic was taken after I unloaded so I could flip the trailer up and see if I could fix it with a patch.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 11, 2020

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

EvilJoven posted:

I need trailer brakes.
I've never seen brakes on a bike trailer. It would take some doing to make but should be possible to fabricate (possibly complicated by your trailer having those nice wheelchair style hubs). European medium duty car trailers have a coupling that actuates the brakes when compressed - that should work reasonably well for a bike application, plus there's no linkage to connect when hooking on the trailer or special mods to the bike necessary. How those trailer brakes disconnect when you go into reverse with the tow vehicle is beyond my comprehension, but it's less of a problem on a bike I would think.

But yes, bike shopping is lots of fun in general compared to going by car. My main gripe is that shopping carts can usually only be found way out in the parking lots at the big box stores I normally frequent which seems a waste when I can normally park the bike right at the door.

E: ofund a thread about bike trailer brakes: https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/25756/how-to-build-surge-brakes-on-bike-trailer

Invalido fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

This is relevant to a project I'm working on. The Cargo Carla trailer has surge brakes but that is probably more pricey that you would hope.

I'm working on seeing if I can get a clone fabricated with some different dimensions. My business already has a couple bikes at work trailers, and as a proof of concept I tried slapping a motor on it:

Even before putting physical brakes on, E-braking works really good. I don't exactly trust a controller to not gently caress up at the worst moment though, so I am planning to build two sturmey archer drum brake wheels, like was common on tadpole recumbents. Since I'm hoping for something reliable enough for work, I don't want to deal with disc rotors being knocked around.