Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What about that Chaos: Start Collecting box? The sorcerer and Mecha spider look rad, more chaos boys is good, and the new Obliterator sculpts are rad. Two oblits seems like an awkward number though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

raverrn posted:

They didn't touch psycannons or incinerators. :(

jesus loving christ

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Funzo posted:

This is a dumb question, but if I'm putting together a successor chapter, I don't need the supplement for the parent chapter right? I'd just need the main SM Codex?

You kinda do. See, when you choose your parent chapter you get that chapter's strats and some of their relics (and all of their relics if you spend a strat to get it). And their warlord traits and chapter specific psyker powers too, for that matter. The only thing you can't get are named special characters. So while you can legally play out of just the codex, there is stuff that you may want in the supplements.

Kitchner posted:

Anyone got any other good ideas for a stand alone unit to just chuck into the mix? Consideration given to how good the unit is and how cool the models are. If it does something cool but not that competitive that's also OK as long as it will actually get to do it.

Man, it's hard to tell with the way everything keeps changing from week to week. :shrug:

That said, I've always liked Defilers, and I think they were pretty decent in late eighth, and should be even better with the general vehicle buffs in ninth.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Deathwing makes custodes feel pretty bad. And ravenwing bikers are already defensively better than white scars. Can’t wait for the advance and charge Strat to come back with the supplement.

Deathwatch meanwhile has mostly nonfunctional kill teams and just when they created a powerful SIA table they took it from 90% of the faction.

This update kinda sucks.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

What about that Chaos: Start Collecting box? The sorcerer and Mecha spider look rad, more chaos boys is good, and the new Obliterator sculpts are rad. Two oblits seems like an awkward number though?

Note entirely sure that the CSM start collecting now works with Death Guard if that's what you were specifically after. If you're just after chaos marines in general though it's a great kit (I'm looking forward to getting mine).

Two obliterators is fine in a small army, they are like 100 points each, they are tough as nails.

jng2058 posted:

Man, it's hard to tell with the way everything keeps changing from week to week. :shrug:

That said, I've always liked Defilers, and I think they were pretty decent in late eighth, and should be even better with the general vehicle buffs in ninth.

I did think about a Defiler but I think if I went for something more expensive (points and cost) I think it would be a Forgefiend just so it gets the daemon keyword to benefit from the Master of Summoning and stuff when I get the Start Collecting box.

I'm getting a contemptor dreadnought with dual autocannons/butcher Cannons along with a rhino (for possessed) and that's going to be my only two non daemon engine vehicles I think.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

jng2058 posted:

You kinda do. See, when you choose your parent chapter you get that chapter's strats and some of their relics (and all of their relics if you spend a strat to get it). And their warlord traits and chapter specific psyker powers too, for that matter. The only thing you can't get are named special characters. So while you can legally play out of just the codex, there is stuff that you may want in the supplements.

Defilers absolutely rule and are something that absolutely must be dealt with any tank they get their claws on is basically doomed.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Defilers absolutely rule and are something that absolutely must be dealt with any tank they get their claws on is basically doomed.

I love the fact no one on that battlefield got the memo that the future is grim and dark.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Logan Grimnar looks pretty usable for the price which is nice! I just realised they made his one handed axe a lawnmower mode. 10 s8 -3 1d attacks base with all the access to exploding 4/6s is nothing to sneeze at when you've got flat 3d mode too. Can't wait until I'm allowed to play haha.

Also I more or less finished my first indomitus man

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I'm doing Chaos Knights (as soon as my god drat giant robot arrives. For whatever reason it's taking twice as long as my other stuff to get here); and I'm really debating off-shooting to include smaller Chaos units for a Patrol detachment to throw a defiler or two in.

I really want it to be a giant piss-off army, with minimal troops because I think Chaos has some of the best looking "vehicles".

I also have all the cultists of the abyss from travelling down the Blackstone Fortress series and I think them, plus the other stuff would be this weird conglomerate of Chaos forces that would be a tickle to play.

That all said with me having never touched Chaos and having really no idea how all their stuff works.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

jesus loving christ

Warpflamers for Thousand Sons were also left out. Guess their flame weapons are still 8"! :flaccid:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

xtothez posted:

Meanwhile my Vertigus set arrived so I'm going back to laying pipes.

You're like a Vertigian Ron Jeremy.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Between the very mobile chaplain on bike and the new commanding oratory strat; to use litanies at the start of any phase, SM are now in practice one of the factions with the most reliable "out of deepstrike" charges - almost across the entire board. Doubly so for chapters that have additional specific charge bonuses, like black templars, space wolves and blood angels (though canticle of hate is not cumulative with any other charge bonuses, but does work with rerolls for example). In theory this even works out of drop-pods on turn 1 as far as I can see?

I was wondering if it's the plan for most factions to have ways of building armies for (an) 'easy' (50/50+) charges out of deepstrike? To make the battles more dynamic or similar for example. With that in mind I was looking over the necron codex, but as far as I can tell they mainly have the constant +1 to charges from novokh/dynastic but I don't really see anything else. They do have nifty move shenanigans both with the veil and monolith (mainly core though) and the chronomancer can give reroll charges to a unit. I'm not sure they have much in the way of arkana or warlord traits or anything to further boost the distance itself. Both wraiths and ophydians seem to be stuck with the +1 and command point reroll.

E: I guess in a purely probabilistic perspective, you have to count the probability of the litany going off (and if master of sanctity warlord trait), and potentially using the reroll in the same phase where you might need it to reroll a charge, if that's the main source of rerolls. It's still pretty good though, and if you end up using it even once in a battle, the CP reduction on commanding oratory basically pays for the warlord trait.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 6, 2020

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

xtothez posted:

Meanwhile my Vertigus set arrived so I'm going back to laying pipes.

I saw a great tutorial on rust effects done on these pipes! I think the guy used to do the vallejo pigment tutorials, he says in the comments.

https://youtu.be/DBdTO8jR6Fs

Basically he applies pigments to a layer of thinned matt cote varnish (the thinner keeps it soft), applies masking fluid over rusty spots, then puts down the base colours. Then after removing the masking he reactivated the pigments trapped in the soft varnish with more varnish creating some beautiful streaks.

I tried it out on some barrels but I hosed up by using an enamel paint as a base coat without realising it, so pulling off the masking pulled off everything down to the primer. I'm gonna try again on my sector mechanics terrain when I finally get round to cracking that Renegade box in the boot of my car

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

poo poo I completely blanked on being able to have my terminator wolf priest use a strat to canticle. That's absolutely golden.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
TBH i'm super stoked for Space Wolves outriders ganged up with a bike primaris chaplain and drop pod blood claws/dread to meet up with them and/or get on objectives asap.

They seem to much more fun than the current tau build I have of "stealth units and drones to harass and board control backed up by anti-tank units"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Spanish Manlove posted:

TBH i'm super stoked for Space Wolves outriders ganged up with a bike primaris chaplain and drop pod blood claws/dread to meet up with them and/or get on objectives asap.

They seem to much more fun than the current tau build I have of "stealth units and drones to harass and board control backed up by anti-tank units"

I'm wondering how the fact the Chaplain on bike gets WOLF PRIEST is going to work. Like is he going to be able to heal/revive models like the apothecaries? If so that seems awesome as hell. If not, "Wolf priest" just means "space wolf chaplain" now.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Am I nuts or do Blood Angels lose the Red Thirst, it doesn't appear to be on the index

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Am I nuts or do Blood Angels lose the Red Thirst, it doesn't appear to be on the index

It's in the new Space Marine codex, which has the basic chapter tactics for Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, and Deathwatch now in addition to all the old First Founding + Crimson Fists and Black Templars it used to have. None of those four chapters that used to get their own codexes are getting their own codexes in 9th, just codex supplements.

(But Grey Knights still get their own!)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Who wants a new Tyranid?*

*or possibly a dead Tyranid as a trophy on some other model

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Or quite possibly AoS/Warcry related.
Could even be Dark Eldar.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
On the one hand, I feel like they wouldn't put a chain-and-piton on a Tyranid model, but on the other hand, I wouldn't put it past them nowadays to sculpt a giant tyranid monster so that it has an incorporated Guardsman being torn in half or something that's structurally essential to the space bug not falling over. And I guess they could have the guardsman be climbing a tiny cliff with a chain and piton.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
Nah the spiky nature of the chain makes me think dark eldar is closer to the money, or whatever replaced the fantasy version of bdsm elves in AoS

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That spike looks very much like the old gargantuan spider that the forest goblin boss rides.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
It's a Hive Tyrant playing tetherball.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Maybe they're finally doing Exodites but letting them take Aspect Warriors and using the launch of the Exodite army to fit the other revamped Aspect Warrior kits into the release schedule as part of the big hyped launch event, since they don't really do new models without some sort of launch event tie-in nowadays.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Ahh ok I ordered the Warriors and Skorpekhs I needed off ebay cause I'm not paying cost of Elite Starter Edition just for one of each sprue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Two Beans posted:

It's a Hive Tyrant playing tetherball.

Tyranid Blood Bowl Team?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Eej posted:

Ahh ok I ordered the Warriors and Skorpekhs I needed off ebay cause I'm not paying cost of Elite Starter Edition just for one of each sprue.

Good to know that if I ever need anything in the Elite starter box I should just buy the Elite starter box and stockpile everything else in it until I need it later.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Eej posted:

tag yourself, I'm White Dwarf (French) price: $9 american

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 6, 2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am the overpriced products.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Boiled Water posted:

tag yourself, I'm White Dwarf (French)

I said come in! posted:

I am the overpriced products.

I'm the oversized bearded bloke

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Gargants 200 dollars holy poo poo.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I always loved defilers, but started playing in 5th and always felt that they were too bad at shooting/fighting for something inhabited by an eternal spirit of shooty fightiness. It was one of two ways of getting large blast templates as CSM and people still liked it mostly over the goodbad model.

I finally used one in early 8th, and having stratagems to give it rerolls and make it more reliable helped. But I moved away and didn't ge tto play much since.

Are they still +4 to hit ballistics and melee?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Sephyr posted:

I always loved defilers, but started playing in 5th and always felt that they were too bad at shooting/fighting for something inhabited by an eternal spirit of shooty fightiness. It was one of two ways of getting large blast templates as CSM and people still liked it mostly over the goodbad model.

I finally used one in early 8th, and having stratagems to give it rerolls and make it more reliable helped. But I moved away and didn't ge tto play much since.

Are they still +4 to hit ballistics and melee?

Defilers are pretty good now because vehicles fire non blast weapons into close combat when engaged and don't get -1 to hit for moving.

It's still WS BS 4+, and shoots hitting on 5s in close combat, but it still does shoot everything but the battlecannon.

I didn't realise it was a daemon engine though, I thought it was just a robot, so I may reconsider including one, though the model is a bit dopey as its a bit old.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Kitchner posted:

Defilers are pretty good now because vehicles fire non blast weapons into close combat when engaged and don't get -1 to hit for moving.

It's still WS BS 4+, and shoots hitting on 5s in close combat, but it still does shoot everything but the battlecannon.

I didn't realise it was a daemon engine though, I thought it was just a robot, so I may reconsider including one, though the model is a bit dopey as its a bit old.

It's the OG daemon engine, in fact. It was a daemon engine in the fluff before they ever came up with the keyword!

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

It's the OG daemon engine, in fact. It was a daemon engine in the fluff before they ever came up with the keyword!

Yeah I think that's why I missed it, I'm so used to it just being a bigger dreadnought it didn't even occur to me. I was looking at the model earlier though and it just looks too dopey. I think I'll just wait until I get the started set, and I've ordered some Gal Vorbak to be possessed, a demios rhino, and a Great Unclean One. Between all that, my 10 Chaos Marines, 5 Chaos Terminators, and Keeper of Secrets I have plenty to paint. Plus I can't play 2,000 points until covid is done with anyway, so for now I'm limited to 1,000 due to my table size.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

For_Great_Justice posted:

Gargants 200 dollars holy poo poo.

Legit sad that I can't buy an ork gargant for $200

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

Note entirely sure that the CSM start collecting now works with Death Guard if that's what you were specifically after. If you're just after chaos marines in general though it's a great kit (I'm looking forward to getting mine).

Two obliterators is fine in a small army, they are like 100 points each, they are tough as nails.

Ok, thanks. I'm, eh, not entirely going into playing for a while because of life constraints and not having played since 5th edition, so I'm working on Death Guard and picking up neat looking Chaos models as I find them in case I ever want to do a mixed army, since those are apparently a thing now.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Have any units been named as a supreme commander yet? I don't really understand why a named chapter master isn't but I guess it's reserved for very expensive models? Ghaz maybe?

Also lol Santa can advance and charge now. I'm building his sleigh. Merry loving Christmas, here's 16 attacks with exploding fours, enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Isn't the Necron king a supreme commander.