Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Toebone posted:

Did Laphroaig up the price on Quarter Cask? Bottle King is usually pretty good on sticking to MSRP but they had it for $80 today

$46.99 right now at my local Total Wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Toebone posted:

Did Laphroaig up the price on Quarter Cask? Bottle King is usually pretty good on sticking to MSRP but they had it for $80 today

Tariffs

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

zmcnulty posted:

I've reached peak whisky drinker, my collection is now in a storage unit and the wife has the key.

I think peak whiskey drinker is when you are in the storage unit and your wife has the key.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Gravitee posted:

Two hour drive but I'm a basic bourbon bitch who loves Weller and FP is very good.

An hour for other allocated bottles.

Follow up on this:

A store an hour and change from me did a $5 charity raffle for the chance to buy their Weller FP pick or a bunch of their other standard allocated bottles (Stagg Jr., EHT SmB/SiB, Blantons, Michters 10, Willett, etc) at very fair prices
300 tickets, sold out in 90 seconds. Their low prices offset the cost of entry for most of these bottles - so I jumped on it, knowing I'd have to drive an hour and back for it, and knowing I'd be out $5 if I drew something like Blantons or EHT.

But now I'm up a bottle of WFP and I only paid $60 for it

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Follow up on this:

But now I'm up a bottle of WFP and I only paid $60 for it

Nice score. I'd be interested in your opinion if you crack it open.

My state cracked down on selling spots to buy at retail because they considered it an unsanctioned lottery. I won some good bottles that way.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Gravitee posted:

My state cracked down on selling spots to buy at retail because they considered it an unsanctioned lottery. I won some good bottles that way.

I went to a raffle a couple years ago that was pretty sweet.

It was like $50/ticket, and you got one raffle ticket put into a big bowl. They had 12 or so bottles they raffled off, pappy 15, 20, 23, ORVW, Lot B, Rock hill farms, GTS, EC 18, some old fitz, etc.

There was just one raffle bowl, so first name got their choice of remaining bottles.

They limited the number of tickets because they also held a tasting. Every person got ~an ounce of EC18, RHF, ORVW, Lot B, and GTS.

Only lame thing was the first name out of the bowl was the store owner’s son... and I didn’t win anything.

But I’d love to do more raffles like that where there’s limited number of entrants, and you get to sample some allocates stuff.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Gravitee posted:

I think this one worked around that issue arguably in a few ways: the $5 entry was a donation and basically a ticket to "reserve" your bottle; it was literally first come first serve, and everyone that bought a ticket got something (if they wanted). Typically they'd have done it on a free "raffle day" in the store, but due to covid, well...

A lot of stores around here do loyalty programs like punch cards - those are definitely illegal. Some others just mark poo poo up, and the good stores had been doing in store raffles, who knows what will happen this year.

I did one in 2016 where for $50 we got the full BTAC tasting and a raffle ticket for one of 6 bottles; and then every bottle you bought of store picks that day got you another ticket (up to 6) - got a THH that time.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Four Roses Single Barrel jumped from $44 to $54 at Total Wine since the last time I bought a bottle. The rest of the lineup is the same price as I remember, so what gives? Supply issue or something, or TW just deciding to charge more?

The Small Batch Select is $60, is it worth that?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've a Four Roses Single Barrel Private Selection at barrel strength and it's one of the best whiskey's I've ever had fwiw.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I'd pay $54 or $60 for a single barrel but not small batch select.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

A barrel selection I would do. Even though it's my #1 favorite bourbon, I don't know that I can dig it at $55 when there are lots of good ones in the $30-$50 range, like New Riff.

Not to mention it's now as much or more than a lot of go-to Islay scotches like Ardbeg 10 or Wee Beastie.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 3, 2020

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Gravitee posted:

I'd pay $54 or $60 for a single barrel but not small batch select.

Funny, I'd say the opposite - $45 is my limit for the regular single barrel
I'd only pay $60 if it were a barrel pick

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m bought a bottle of Macallan 15 because it was on sale at the ABC.

This was a mistake. Finish is awful. Total waste of $130.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Josh Lyman posted:

Macallan is the most overpriced scotch I've ever had.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

Funny, I'd say the opposite - $45 is my limit for the regular single barrel
I'd only pay $60 if it were a barrel pick

True. There are a lot of good store picks out there though.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Macallan is the most overpriced scotch I've ever had.
Agreed, especially with their price increases in the past couple years, but the 12 and 18 are decent.

The 15 was so bad I tracked down a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Good old standby.

On a related note, my Glencairn broke and Bed Bath and Beyond has them for $8 each but they’re not in stock anywhere. Amazon has them but reviews say you risk getting counterfeits.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 3, 2020

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Agreed, especially with their price increases in the past couple years, but the 12 and 18 are decent.

The 15 was so bad I tracked down a bottle of Lagavulin 16. Good old standby.

On a related note, my Glencairn broke and Bed Bath and Beyond has them for $8 each but they’re not in stock anywhere. Amazon has them but reviews say you risk getting counterfeits.

Glendronach 15 has a similar profile to and is better than Macallan 18 imo and less than 1/3 the price

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Total Wine sells Glencairns too, so check there if there's one near you.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Enigma posted:

Total Wine sells Glencairns too, so check there if there's one near you.
I’m in DC so the are tons nearby but they only sell a 4 pack. For better or worse, I’m happy to just get pairs of my specific glassware.

I just tried the Macallan 15 out of a wine glass instead of the rocks glass I had been using and it’s much better. Still not worth the money though.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Any opinions on Jefferson? I bought my first bottle today so an interested to see how it tastes, but there were a bunch of more expensive options like the ocean one which looked interesting but I could see being gimmicky.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Is Glenmorangie Signet for $200 worth getting? I’ve had the 18 and thought it was meh.

Probably better off getting Laphroaig Quarter Cask for $71 or Ardbeg Corryvreckan for $80.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 4, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Glendronach 15 has a similar profile to and is better than Macallan 18 imo and less than 1/3 the price

drat right

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Basically don't buy any Macallan ever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

spankmeister posted:

My dad just keeps buying macallen 12 and I don't get it, I get him interesting bourbons and ryes and he'll drink them and then just get another.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

Unless you are rich enough to do so as a speculative investment opportunity.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

silvergoose posted:

My dad just keeps buying macallen 12 and I don't get it, I get him interesting bourbons and ryes and he'll drink them and then just get another.

Maybe he likes scotch more than rye and bourbon and you should get him a good scotch instead.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Older, watered down high-end whiskeys tend to be very disappointing. They're crafted to appeal to non-whiskey drinkers chasing affluence so oftentimes they taste like... nothing. Inoffensive at best, overoaked and underperforming at worst

The regular Mac 12 Sherry is perfectly good, though. I hear the cask strength release of Macallan was great, but that was discontinued years ago.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

The regular Mac 12 Sherry is perfectly good, though. I hear the cask strength release of Macallan was great, but that was discontinued years ago.

The "numbered" Macallan releases are pretty good (Edition 1-6) as well but lol paying $120 for a NAS release

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Macallan is perfectly OK whisky it's just that the value proposition just isn't there. The cheaper ones are lackluster at best, and the good stuff is just way, way overpriced.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Looking for a nice-ish bottle of bourbon for my birthday. I'm in Australia so this is kinda difficult. I usually drink either hogs 3 (cheapest), makers or bufallo trace which range from 40-55au depending on what's on special etc. I can get eagle rare or sazerac (neither of which I've tried before) for 90-100au, are they really twice as good as these or worth trying out? Any other suggestions?

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Eagle rare is not worth 2x buffalo trace, imo. 20% more at most. Can you get Blanton's at a good price?

Are four roses small batch or single barrel options?

Makers 46 is something a little different.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed if you want something a bit more aggressive.

New Riff Single Barrel is sweet and mellow. I prefer their non-single barrel, but I tend to like the rye spiciness over sweet. Both are very good though.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 7, 2020

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

q!=e

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

spankmeister posted:

Maybe he likes scotch more than rye and bourbon and you should get him a good scotch instead.

I mean, yeah, I know, he's had plenty of good scotch too, he just chooses macallan for his regular drink at home.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

And I just got handed another bottle of WFP at retail from behind the counter at one of my local stops.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

And I just got handed another bottle of WFP at retail from behind the counter at one of my local stops.

Carseat crotch shot or it didn't happen.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Gejimayu posted:

Carseat crotch shot or it didn't happen.

Dude was like "all I ask is you don't post it on social media, I'll post tonight that we got it in" so yeah, no car crotch shots here

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Enigma posted:

Eagle rare is not worth 2x buffalo trace, imo. 20% more at most. Can you get Blanton's at a good price?

Are four roses small batch or single barrel options?

Makers 46 is something a little different.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed if you want something a bit more aggressive.

New Riff Single Barrel is sweet and mellow. I prefer their non-single barrel, but I tend to like the rye spiciness over sweet. Both are very good though.

Maker's 46 and rare breed both seem reasonably price here, I'll definitely consider the maker's if nothing else interesting pops up! Evan Williams single barrel is in a similar price range too, no experience with that. 4 roses doesn't seem available locally unfortunately.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
My boss found out I've been getting into whiskeys and surprised me with this this morning. Is that the year it was bottled? Also, holy crap. I wish I could find a new one to compare but there's no way of that happening. Super excited.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Uh how should we know what year your boss wrote on a bottle? Probably ask them?

Congrats on a new whiskey to try, at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

Enigma posted:

Uh how should we know what year your boss wrote on a bottle? Probably ask them?

Congrats on a new whiskey to try, at any rate.

It was a gift to him from the manager of the store he used to frequent, I just didn't know if there was a way they label tasting samples like that. Shrug.