Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Depending how thick your gpu is you may not fit 25mm fans in the bottom, and may not fit a 25mm fan in the top just above the CPU cooler depending on the distance of the CPU socket to the top edge of the motherboard, but negative pressure up top seems to be the best in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

buglord posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADgZXh_p_NA

Silverstone you had one job with updating the SG-13 :smith:

Good god the SG15.

e: No SFX bracket!?!?!?

ijyt fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 5, 2020

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It’s kinda wild to me that all the previous SG-14 prototypes were way off the mark too. Starting to think maybe the SG-13 was a one time happy accident. The Just Cause 2 of the series.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Butterfly Valley posted:

advice for cooling in my nr200p build
Depending on how much time you have, it looks like this dude has tested the NR200 pretty exhaustively. No idea who he is or why he's so horny for the NR200, but there ya go.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
anyone want a ncase m1 v3 at a discount? It's fine, but I want to switch to something different.

From the US

It'll fit 5700XTs and everything but the girthiest of cards.

Includes some filters and whatever else i can salvage

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Installed the 3090 FE into the NR200, I’ll try to update later with thermals and some tests but the cooler is very impressive.

https://imgur.com/a/RnFIGUq

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

buglord posted:

Tbh that seemed like a way lazier review than he normally does and it doesn't look like he tested the primary thing you'd probably be interested in that case for (nh-d15s + 140mm exhaust fans). I'd still be interested in seeing someone do that before I just write it off...

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I had the SG14 and returned it for many of the same reasons that review had. The D15 barely fit and you could use it with the middle fan, not enough room for a second 140mm and only room for a slim fan as exhaust next to the CPU cooler. The GPU Support bracket interfered with installation and my EVGA backplate was making contact with the metal panel behind it. It was very disappointing, the NR200 is a much better case IMO.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

B-Mac posted:

I had the SG14 and returned it for many of the same reasons that review had. The D15 barely fit and you could use it with the middle fan, not enough room for a second 140mm and only room for a slim fan as exhaust next to the CPU cooler. The GPU Support bracket interfered with installation and my EVGA backplate was making contact with the metal panel behind it. It was very disappointing, the NR200 is a much better case IMO.

Getting a standard thickness exhaust fan behind the d15 would be entirely dependant on the distance of the socket to the io edge on the motherboard, no? Or does the mount actually protrude inward?

Sucks about the gpu support though, I had high hopes.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

VorpalFish posted:

Getting a standard thickness exhaust fan behind the d15 would be entirely dependant on the distance of the socket to the io edge on the motherboard, no? Or does the mount actually protrude inward?

Sucks about the gpu support though, I had high hopes.

I know some AMD ITX boards have the socket shifted upwards but I haven’t heard of any intel or AMD boards that have different distances from the rear of the board. I really wanted to like the case and based on paper specs it sounded great but it didn’t turn out very well in my opinion.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Silverstone is getting out dated in general. They had good ideas back in the Shuttle days, but now their R&D to production time can’t keep up with these purpose built tiny cases. They can eventually get costs down, but it looks like it takes a lot of compromise. Even on the PSU side, when I originally wrote the OP no one was competing in the SFX/L space and now I see no reason not to get a Corsair instead.

I don’t think their ATX sized stuff is doing particularly interesting either.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Thanks all for the advice and links!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Silverstone's RVZ03 ITX case got a great review on GamersNexus and that's semi recent. Maybe thats where their A-team works? Im curious how R&D works and gets their inspiration. The SG-14 seems like it was made by people who heard of ITX but never saw it before.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
Here is my long rear end post with some 10900K and 3090 FE data in the NR200 if anyone gives a poo poo.

https://imgur.com/a/RnFIGUq

10900K 4.8 ghz all core

Adaptive Vcore with -140 mV offset LLC Medium (VR OUT 1.17V - 1.19V)

Noctua U12A with A12x25 (2) Cpu Cooler Intake 80% Fan Speed (1670 RPM)

Noctua A12x25 (2) Top Exhaust 80% Fan Speed (1670 RPM)

Noctua A12x25 (2) Bottom Intake 80% Fan Speed (1670 RPM)

Nvidia 3090 FE Stock Auto Fan 30% (800 RPM)

Real Bench 2.56 30 Minutes

CPU AVG 69C to 74C

CPU MAX 73C to 78C

CPU PWR AVG 154W

CPU PWR MAX 161W

GPU AVG 56C

GPU MAX 59C

GPU PWR AVG 349W

GPU PWR MAX 351W

Blender Benchmark

CPU MAX 72C to 77C

CPU PWR MAX 180W

GPU Tests

Nvidia 3090 FE 1860 Mhz @ 850 mV Fans Auto 30% | 800 RPM

Fire Stike Ultra Graphics - 12363

Fire Strike Extreme Graphics - 23574

TimeSpy Extreme Graphics - 10192

TimeSpy Graphics - 19514

Port Royal - 12977

Superposition 4K Optimized - 16278

Undervolting Performance

Control 1440P High with RT High

All noctua A12x25 fans are set to 45% (1000 RPM) for the GPU tests.

PL 114% 400W

64C with 43% Fan 1140 RPM

77-78FPS

Very audible coil whine at 400W

PL 100% 350W

61C with 33% Fan 880 RPM

75-76 FPS

Coil whine present but can't really hear it unless I'm close to the case.

1830@850 mV 330W

60C with 31% 830 RPM

76-77 FPS

1800@800 mV 300W

58C with 30% Fan 800 RPM

75-76 FPS

The 3090 FE cooler is a monster and the best air cooler I have seen on a GPU. 64C with a 400W output with the low noise levels to just insane to me. I'm still playing around to find my final clockspeed and voltage levels for the undervolt but I don't think overclocking is worth the heat or additional coil whine. I think the voltage sweetspot will be somewhere between 800 mV and 850 mV

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 6, 2020

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

buglord posted:

Silverstone's RVZ03 ITX case got a great review on GamersNexus and that's semi recent. Maybe thats where their A-team works? Im curious how R&D works and gets their inspiration. The SG-14 seems like it was made by people who heard of ITX but never saw it before.

Silverstone in general seems to just be extremely hit and miss and it’s weird how wildly variable even the appearance of effort on their various cases is. For every nice, modern design, there’s one that wouldn’t have been out of place from a 2005 OEM builder or something.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
I dunno, I'm very much contemplating getting an SG14 and that Optimum Tech review made me want it more because that review takes a poo poo on everything in it that appeals to me. It seems to hit all the notes that the NR200 (and most of the ITX market) misses.

ATX PSU support which the NR200 could have done easily with a bracket but didn't because no reason. 5,25" support is awesome at under 20l. Has included feet for vertical orientation. Big air cooler support for days. No glass panel bullshit, only perforated side panels. It's also cheaper than the NR200P which is important where I live since no one is stocking the cheaper NR200 here making the SG14 effectively cheaper.

Yes, it's not a tiny case but it's literally just a liter over the supposedly superior NR200 but why make something that has the same limited support as a competitor when you can appeal to a wider audience. If you really need to have an SFX PSU in your case that supports a better PSU, just buy the Silverstone SFX bracket you rich bastard, they probably aren't supplying one because they know you can afford it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Okay, as a certified dumb dumb whose PSU knowledge is “these are the sizes. More watts is better but there’s such a thing as enough watts. Modular good. Brand name and/or long warranty good. 80+ ratings are proxy for good components but don’t sweat gold Vs. Plat” (correct any of that if it’s wrong btw)

Are there any severe gotchas between the Silverstone SX-700-G which can be had at a reasonable price, and the Corsair SF750 which is hard to track down, setting aside the 50
Watt difference?

Any other reasons that the Corsair would be a notably better PSU?

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 6, 2020

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

B-Mac posted:

Noctua A12x25 (2) Bottom Intake 80% Fan Speed (1670 RPM)

Nvidia 3090 FE Stock Auto Fan 30% (800 RPM)

Lmao I wondered how you were fitting two bottom fans underneath the 3090 and did a lol when I saw your picture

Re: my cooling questions the other day, I watched a bunch of that guy's videos that were linked and it seems the FUMA 2 doesn't have room for the rear top fan that comes with my nr200p. Also he found that bottom fans were of mostly negligible benefit, so I've decided to get the Noctua U12A instead as that does have headroom for both top fans, and run them all as exhaust. Then depending on what 3070/80 I get and what clearance I have I can look at getting some intake fans for the bottom if I'm not happy with thermals/noise.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Okay, as a certified dumb dumb whose PSU knowledge is “these are the sizes. More watts is better but there’s such a thing as enough watts. Modular good. Brand name and/or long warranty good. 80+ ratings are proxy for good components but don’t sweat gold Vs. Plat” (correct any of that if it’s wrong btw)

Are there any severe gotchas between the Silverstone SX-700 which can be had at a reasonable price, and the Corsair SF750 which is hard to track down, setting aside the 50
Watt difference?

Any other reasons that the Corsair would be a notably better PSU?

The SX700 is SFX-L, which makes it longer than the SF750. An example of this being a problem is the old SG-05, where if you had the optical/storage drive sled installed, an SFX-L would be too long.

The upside is a larger fan for quieter operation. So you trade size and maximum power for a quieter unit.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Warmachine posted:

The SX700 is SFX-L, which makes it longer than the SF750. An example of this being a problem is the old SG-05, where if you had the optical/storage drive sled installed, an SFX-L would be too long.

The upside is a larger fan for quieter operation. So you trade size and maximum power for a quieter unit.

Sorry, I meant the SX700-G. The standard SFX size one.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

The corsair sf platinum variants are apparently very quiet. Just impossible to buy a lot of the time.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Lmao I wondered how you were fitting two bottom fans underneath the 3090 and did a lol when I saw your picture

I won’t lie, it looks pretty dumb lol. That said it’s under my desk and I don’t see it so I don’t care. Those fans bringing air to the FE cooler definitely helps with temps. Going from 50% to 100% fan speed drops temps another 4C to 5C.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

The corsair sf platinum variants are apparently very quiet. Just impossible to buy a lot of the time.

From what I remember, even the gold units are quieter than most SFX-L PSUs.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

CaptainPsyko posted:

I believe this website was posted before but this guy reviews that nitty gritty side of PSUs with the noise graphs and wizard energy scopes to see if its likely to burn your house down or fry your components. I usually check him out when im in the market for an additional PSU which isn't my usual choice.

https://www.jonnyguru.com/blog/2018/11/06/corsair-sf600-platinum-power-supply/

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Cooler master has put up 3D printing model files for ATX power supply bracket to fit NR200 case on their website because their supply chain is too slow to make them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

what is a power supply? a miserable pile of capacitors

my 750 arrived today, and in original shrinkwrapped packaging, which is a surprise from TYOOL 2020 newegg

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

buglord posted:

Have a feeling the NR200 is gonna stomp everything for a while (hence why it won't be in stock here for prob 6 months)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Would be cool if Fractal made a Meshify ITX case.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

teagone posted:

Yeah their last ITX attempt didn't go so well

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

That case is such garbage, I have no idea what fractal was thinking.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

B-Mac posted:

That case is such garbage, I have no idea what fractal was thinking.

It reminds me of the Xbox 360 with those tacky skins you could apply to the faceplate and top of the console.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Found a deshrouded TUF 3080 in an M1; OP says that thermals didn't change much but noise levels were improved. Very interesting, planning on doing something like this.

teagone posted:

They did, it's 32L

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
32L even seems like a reasonable size when you compare it to the ITX case Asus just released

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-Z11/overview/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiNnwHk_ZKs

(literally 40L)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The Nano S is a good ITX case, but it's definitely not SFF at 27L.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Llamadeus posted:

32L even seems like a reasonable size when you compare it to the ITX case Asus just released

https://www.asus.com/us/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-Z11/overview/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiNnwHk_ZKs

(literally 40L)

This case is breathtakingly dumb.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That's a mATX case.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'd like to see Meshify shrunk down to around the size of an NR200. Call it the Meshify C Pico or something.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

teagone posted:

I'd like to see Meshify shrunk down to around the size of an NR200. Call it the Meshify C Pico or something.

Problem these case makers run into with a traditional tower layout style case is that the mitx motherboard is quite small but the video cards are quite long in comparison. Once you make the tower big enough to give the gpu enough room with cooling at the front it fucks up the proportions.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I think the next logical step for more airflow is just to do what the Dancase C4 prototype does and allow flipping the entire case, giving the GPU access to direct airflow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Has anyone actually found a way to slap an AIO onto a 3080 yet? I've got ideas for a SFF build, but it'd be much better if I could go dual AIOs than dealing with open-air cooling.