Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

StrixNebulosa posted:

Janny Wurts' To Ride Hell's Chasm is standalone!

Seconding this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Lagoon is good

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cicero posted:

They haven't done anything yet, but it's obvious where it's heading

But yes it's very minimal and hasn't blocked the plot or anything

Yeah agreed, sorry, I wasn’t trying to minimize what you said just reinforce it. The romance isn’t anywhere near creepy kindle unlimited harem fare.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Thanks for all the recommendations! I'm tempted by a lot of those, so I guess I've got a lockdown reading list now.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
RIP Terry Goodkind

Edit: Wait that happened back in September, but I only just saw it on io9. Sorry

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cavelcade posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking for some fantasy or Sci fi by a female author for a book club that wouldn't normally read that. I've read The Left Hand of Darkness recently and was thinking of suggesting the Dispossessed, but Kindred by Octavia Butler also looks good.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Also you guys seem cool.

The Indigo Saga 1: Nemesis by Louise Cooper.

artism
Nov 22, 2011

Where do I start with Lafferty? Also any other recommendations in the Gene Wolfe//Lafferty vein?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Not all the way through yet, but Wintersteel is really drat good. Stylistically it's not any different from previous entries, so it's not gonna convince anyone who already didn't like Cradle, but Wight was definitely firing on all cylinders here. It's like some of the best parts of the previous three entries rolled together. Given how he'd been sort of structuring the books as series of trilogies, I have no idea how he's gonna top this with a new climax in #9.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I JUST binged through all of Wintersteel and oh boy were there payoffs. MASSIVE payoffs. So much stuff happens in this book.

Seriously do not mouse over the spoilers unless you've finished:

We finally learn the name of Eithan's Path. Everyone advances! Wight massively both works in fan theories, memes and gags AND upsets them. Eithan is an Archlord, Yerin gives up being a Sage to fuse with her Blood Shadow and Lindon manifests the Void Icon and ends up with a Wintersteel Unsouled badge. Eithan fixes Ziel and he is hired on and recruited to the cause. Yerin is the Uncrowned King and kills Seshethkunaaz with Penance. Fury advances to Monarch. and Orthos and Kelsa are about to tear through Heaven's Glory with Jai Long and Jai Chen's aid just as the Wandering Titan is rising.

I need Cradle 9 ASAP and it's literally been 20 minutes since I finished reading.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cavelcade posted:

Hi thread, I'm looking for some fantasy or Sci fi by a female author for a book club that wouldn't normally read that. I've read The Left Hand of Darkness recently and was thinking of suggesting the Dispossessed, but Kindred by Octavia Butler also looks good.

Kindred is excellent, but if it's something that a lot of members have already read, consider Butler's Parable of the Sower instead.

For more LeGuinn, you might also consider The Lathe of Heaven, but it's pretty short.

Freebooter mentioned Life after Life by Kate Atkinson, and I would recommend it over The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August because its prose is stronger, and it's a more thoughtful take on the premise.

Jemisin gets a mixed reaction around here, but The Fifth Season is a fun and interesting read built around a neat perspective gimmick.

It's YA, but Heidi Heilig's The Girl from Everywhere is a fun and interesting novel about maps, time travel, and colonizing Hawaii.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Feel like I could mention Frankenstein again too. It's really good honest.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

NK Jemisin got a MacArthur Genius grant.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Cavelcade posted:

Like PeterWeller, I’d recommend Parable of the Sower over Kindred as a better entry book for Octavia Butler. For one, Parable is extremely precient and topical right now, and also Kindred is so brutal most people who start with that end up not wanting to read anymore Octavia Butler because the first time was too painful, which is a crying shame.

Seconding the Lathe of Heaven recommend as well

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 6, 2020

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
I want to recommend some Bujold, too. Not entirely sure what to go with though.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

PeterWeller posted:

Jemisin gets a mixed reaction around here, but The Fifth Season is a fun and interesting read built around a neat perspective gimmick.

My impression from the thread has mostly been that Broken Earth trilogy is well liked, pretty much everyone raves about the short story collection (really need to get that on my nightstand from the bookshelf, finally), it's mostly the Inheritance trilogy that has got the meh to weak call.

But yeah do pick up The Fifth Season and read the remaining two books if that at all catches your fancy. I certainly enjoyed it a lot.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Leng posted:

I need Cradle 9 ASAP and it's literally been 20 minutes since I finished reading.
Just finished myself and I can't help but agree.

I do not envy Will attempting to top this one in the next book.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Cicero posted:

Just finished myself and I can't help but agree.

:yeah:

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

Well remember how we all thought that way with Ghostwater and then Underlord came out?

Yeah, I'm hella looking forward to Bloodline. I might even go so far as to pause my Stormlight reread to go reread Wintersteel immediately.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Blade Itself (First Law #1) by Joe Abercrombie - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TOT9LDK/

Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V34YJE0/

The Rage of Dragons (The Burning #1) by Evan Winter - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L2VKFP5/

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

pradmer posted:

Luna: New Moon by Ian McDonald - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V34YJE0/

I think I mention this every time it comes up, but anyway: the third book of this trilogy is disappointing but the first two are excellent, well worth reading, probably some of the best sci-fi of the decade with some of the best set-pieces I've ever read.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Groke posted:

I want to recommend some Bujold, too. Not entirely sure what to go with though.

Easy. Is the reader in the mood for fantasy or science fiction ? The Five Gods setting is up to three novels and 8 (soon to be 9) novellas, so there's plenty there. For science fiction, I recommend chronological order for the Vorkosigan saga.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Lunsku posted:

My impression from the thread has mostly been that Broken Earth trilogy is well liked, pretty much everyone raves about the short story collection (really need to get that on my nightstand from the bookshelf, finally), it's mostly the Inheritance trilogy that has got the meh to weak call.

But yeah do pick up The Fifth Season and read the remaining two books if that at all catches your fancy. I certainly enjoyed it a lot.

Also her newest, The Cities We Became, is excellent.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Leng posted:

Well remember how we all thought that way with Ghostwater and then Underlord came out?

Yeah, I'm hella looking forward to Bloodline. I might even go so far as to pause my Stormlight reread to go reread Wintersteel immediately.

Ehh Underlord’s alright but it didn’t leave much of an impression on me.

Ranking’s something like

Wintersteel >>> Ghostwater > Blackflame > Soulsmith > Underlord = Uncrowned > Skysworn = Unsouled.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
:silent: Yes, I want to be nerve stapled

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

freebooter posted:

I think I mention this every time it comes up, but anyway: the third book of this trilogy is disappointing but the first two are excellent, well worth reading, probably some of the best sci-fi of the decade with some of the best set-pieces I've ever read.

Yep the first in particular is top notch. Wonderful writing.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Wintersteel >>> Ghostwater > Blackflame > Soulsmith > Underlord = Uncrowned > Skysworn = Unsouled.

Ohhhhhh this is very hard for me, I think I'm Wintersteel > Underlord > Ghostwater > Blackflame > Unsouled > Uncrowned = Skysworn

The character revelations always hit me pretty hard and Wight did a very good job in Wintersteel with that.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Alright I downloaded all these Cradle free books. I hope these are actually good. The titles would normally be a big red flag for me.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

George MacDonald - "The Princess and the Goblin" (I meant to read more of his stuff but never got around to it)

Holy poo poo, I had this book on my shelves growing up! I had no idea it was so old, the version I had was a recent (1980s I think) paperback edition. I probably read it half a dozen times.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Cradle is good at what's it's going for, and what it's going for is "fight+power up: the series" set in fantasy MegaChina.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Cicero posted:

Cradle is good at what's it's going for, and what it's going for is "fight+power up: the series" set in fantasy MegaChina.

It's a very straight down the line xianxia in that sense, yeah.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ccs posted:

Alright I downloaded all these Cradle free books. I hope these are actually good. The titles would normally be a big red flag for me.

I feel obliged to warn you that one of the reasons they're considered so good is because their subgenre (xianxia) sets the bar extremely low. I enjoy the Cradle books, but they're silly pulp without much aspiration to be anything else.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Like I said, the KU thread is just over there.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

I feel obliged to warn you that one of the reasons they're considered so good is because their subgenre (xianxia) sets the bar extremely low. I enjoy the Cradle books, but they're silly pulp without much aspiration to be anything else.
Yeah, you're not wrong. I've read a couple of the genre that are supposed to be among the better Chinese works, A Will Eternal and Reverend Insanity, and the basic writing quality is still just atrocious, even if they have some interesting ideas in the story.

edit: I guess the new Cradle managed to stay at #1 on the Kindle store overall for a little over 24 hours, that's pretty big

Cicero fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 8, 2020

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Player of Games (Culture #2) by Iain M Banks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002WM3HC2/

The Poppy War by RF Kuang - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072L58JW6/

Annihilation (Southern Reach #1) by Jeff VanderMeer - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EGJ32A6/

Tales from Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle #5) by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003ZX86BO/

Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder #1) by Brian McClellan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KT7YTV4/

Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth by JRR Tolkien - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00796E7CA/

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Gods of Blood and Powder? Man there's a lot of Thing of Y and Z.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

General Battuta posted:

The Tyrant of Baru and Cormorant

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

If you enjoyed Roger Zelazny's Lord of Light, you may want to check out Zelazny's Creatures of Light and Darkness too.
Whenever Lord of Light gets discussed in the SFL Archives, SFLer's always bring up his Creatures of Light and Darkness as a comparison/companion piece to Lord of Light, which has totally confused me repeated times in my SFL Archives readthrough because I had never heard of COLAD, or found any trace of it during my periodic "read everything Roger Zelazny" phases.

I foolishly read the last 40% of SFL Vol 12a in one 6 hr stretch on Monday, and then spent hour 7 writing up Vol 12a readthrough updates 04/05. Functionally it was like reading Gravity's Rainbow & Foucault's Pendulum back to back taking notes on everything weird, then trying to distill all the weirdness out before my brain exploded.

Will still be reading the SFL Archives, but am going to stop posting about it here until the forums sale to Jeffrey of YOSPOS is complete(off-site blog will still get updated). AKA I don't trust lowtax to not pull something stupid like copyrighting all existing posts here/deleting the databases as a final gently caress you to SA forums users/Jeffrey.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a lot going on with that one. It was his first novel and he wrote it while working at the Social Security administration, mostly as a pet project. Apparently the bureaucracy of the Houses of Life and Death is intended as a roman a clef of government bureaucracies, or at least that's what I've read, anyway.

Past that. . yeah you can probably dig as much into that one as you want. One neat thing about it: if you'll note, almost every chapter is written in a different format -- one chapter is a play, one's a lyric poem, one's a prayer, etc.

I think for the most part he's jazzing around but he's a very smart man doing the jazzing around so there are probably a fair number of connections intended also. I'd love to see an annotated version of that one. I think he just had a lot of ideas floating around in his head and since it was his first novel he threw them all in at once rather than making each one a separate story.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

General Battuta posted:

X of Y and Z titles set my teeth on edge, and I'm not even totally sure why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cptn_dr posted:

X of Y and Z titles set my teeth on edge, and I'm not even totally sure why.

It's too many things. The x and the y compete for attention.

Title your first book x of y, and your second book x of z instead.