Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Hey what do I do with a hexer after I get 30 int/30 faith?
Do I keep going? What are my target stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Dark attack bonus doesn't have a hardcap for int and faith so you can put points into them forever, but the benefit slows way down. According to the wiki it's 162 for 30 and 200 for 99.

My personal suggestion is pump the stat that gives equip load so you have more options for dressup while retaining a good roll.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Are dark miracles good or nah?
Edit: Also honestly they really should have set up a pyromancy class to teach you how they scale.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Lawman 0 posted:

Are dark miracles good or nah?
Edit: Also honestly they really should have set up a pyromancy class to teach you how they scale.

Chime hexes have a niche of AoE (dark storm, dark dance, scraps of life) and troll spells (silence, walk of peace, lifedrain patch). The resonant hexes are little to no better than their staff equivalents and cost souls. Climax also costs souls but can be situationally useful because it’s a huge burst of single shot damage which hexes dont really have in any other form. Just use it every time you get 5000 souls, anything more is wasted.

Staff hexes are generally stronger to start with but it’s cool to have chime hexes mixed in. You already have the stats so all you gotta do is upgrade Caitha’s chime or something.

skasion fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 4, 2020

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Just use the black witch staff and cast everything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Also Sanctum Shield, which you can do a buff trick with

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I feel like the title of the thread is referencing some kind of nerf to the dark orbs hex but I remember doing a run with it at some point and they worked pretty well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Dark orb is still the best basic spell in the game. It’s resonant soul that got nerfed, it used to be absurdly strong.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Chime hexes got nerfed into the ground. First the resonant line, then the multi hit AoEs much later. Don't forget about Dark Fog.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I recall liking the Dark Sunset staff. The spinnies on top are fun to watch.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Charles Bukowski posted:

I recall liking the Dark Sunset staff. The spinnies on top are fun to watch.

It's also as fragile as it looks :(

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I like the witch tree branch for the fastest casting in the game. It has pretty good Dark scaling too, so it goes well with a hexer build.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Simply Simon posted:

Trade in some smooth and shiny stones and/or petrified somethings with the crows and hope for the Demon's Greathammer, which is way the hell better than its DS1 incarnation

I actually took the fossilized turd as my starting gift with this exact thing in mind, but sadly RNG was not on my side. Though really just like the DG in 1, I won't have the stats for it for a while anyway. I'll certainly give it a shot though if it does show up. Glad to hear it's worth a drat this time around.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Nearly freaked out because it turns out having a summon sign down cancels NPC signs. So not only is Lucatiel's sign in a dumb spot, but I couldn't see it at first. :argh: I've seen a surprisingly large number of people around bonfires, but I suspect much like DS1 I'm just never going to actually get any co-op action before drifting out of range for most people.

Anyway, pushed through Heide's, decided to do Wharf immediately after (Gavlan! :buddy:), and did the first big sweep of Lost Bastille. Ended for the day just beyond the Sentinels and got my Large Club, now +5 and ready to smash. :getin:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

John Murdoch posted:

Nearly freaked out because it turns out having a summon sign down cancels NPC signs. So not only is Lucatiel's sign in a dumb spot, but I couldn't see it at first. :argh:
I make this mistake on every single replay of the game lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've also been having a heck of a time telling at a glance whether or not I'm human when I'm at full health capacity. :sweatdrop: ...Gonna be even harder now that I've put on the stone mask and become a vampire.

Which speaking of, I got the itch to push forward a bit more so I cleared out the rest of Lost Bastille as well as Belfry Luna and Sinner's Rise.

That whole sequence ended up feeling janky. I had to go all the way down to basically ring Lost Sinner's doorbell so I could get the lockstone I needed to unlock Belfry. And if I had accidentally used it on the wrong Bastille lock I would be SOL without trekking somewhere else to find another one. (Not that it's mandatory, but still.) Now the fragrant branch is sort of the same way, where if I wasted it on Straid I would be making my life harder for no reason at all.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I could have sworn Resonant Soul is still way stronger than Dark Orb. It has greater range too. I may need to test the specifics.

Anyway, if you have 30 int and faith, what to get depends on what you want. 40 faith gives you Chime of Want. That chime is good if you both want to cast offensive chime hexes and non offensive miracles, but not so good otherwise. In my case, the miracles I want access to is Great Heal and Sunlight Blade, especially with the crown of the iron king. 40 int softcaps int bonus which and you can then also get both a blue flame and an icicle. Enchant the blue flame with something, CMW the icicle and powerstance both weapons (icicle in the right hand recommended). This gives you a melee damage output normally not seen on mages and may even rival what a 40 str and dex build can do.

Magic can be very flexible. For example, with sorceries, you can go 50 int, but you can also just go 18 int (all souls arrows and GMW) and you will still have a ranged attack out-damaging bows and an enchant. I once went with 18 int, 16 attunement and then 42 strength (powerstance with Great Club) and the great heavy soul arrow still did relevant damage. In general, your target stats depends more on what plan you have than on broad descriptors like "hexer".

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Charles Bukowski posted:

Did anyone ever do real pvp in the Pharos Rat zone? I've played through this game a ton and I've probably only been invaded in there twice?

In Grave of Saints you could cast chameleon to turn into a rat statue that was roughly the same size and shape as the enemy rats in the area. You could use bonfire ascetics to boost the huge rat swarm in the first circular room to max ng+ power and then chameleon as a rat statue to sneak up on your invader who is busy dealing with the rats. Probably the closest you can get to a free kill in the game without invading an afk player. I used that strat constantly when the area was still active.

The actual traps themselves were pretty gimmicky, but it could be fun to lead someone on a big chase through them.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
When DS2 was active, being a BellBoy & RatBro were some of the most fun times I've ever had in any multiplayer game. Just constant PVP shenanigans, every night.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I got a little mixed up and thought Licia wanted a whopping 20k to push her stupid button so I was avoiding Huntsman's Copse this whole time for no reason. Instead I brute forced my way through Shaded Woods which was uh...not a pleasant experience. Those invisible guys are bullshit and not even in a fun Dark Souls bullshit kind of way IMO. Probably doesn't help that the Large Club's moveset is just miserable against them; the hitbox on R1 is still a complete mystery to me. The rest of the area aint great either. Najka herself wasn't a big deal tho and I got a few nice upgrades along the way.

Priests + Congregation were Pinwheel levels of pathetic against the might of the caveman smash. The rest of Tseldora was a huge mess and I ran around like an idiot clumsily clearing out about 80% of it before my weapon was near-totally broken and I still had spider town to do, so I noped out for the moment. The real plus side to this whole excursion is that thoroughly exploring Doors meant I accidentally farmed an entire set of Grym gear, including :love: the anvil on a stick :love:

Said anvil on a stick made drat short work of Huntsman's Copse. Though perhaps slightly too well since it one-shot the Skeleton Lords, leading to a frantic Benny Hill routine of being chased around the arena by all of the adds at once. :allears:

Chariot was a boss that I was expecting to be some horrible ordeal give its reputation but it was a totally straightforward fight. Certainly not on the same level of difficulty or tedium as the time I blundered into Ceaseless Discharge early and fought him legit.

Current loose ends: Royal Rat Authority wasn't working out, but my +10 Grym Hammer may change my luck there. Harvest Valley is on the table now (honestly just excited to get Gavlan home so I can turn my junk into even more power :getin:). On the other hand, I have to duck back into Tseldora if only to grab a few critical things I missed (flask shard) and it may make sense to just go knock out Freja right away. Means I can grab the +1 Dragon Ring from Tark which would be a pretty huge power bump I think. And I still haven't messed with the hole as of yet... Edit: Oh right and in theory I could try NG+ing Chariot for that sweet, sweet Cloranthy Ring +2...

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 6, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Chariot is basically gear check (for a 100% shield that you can block skeletons with while you hide in an alcove) that can be avoided by skill check (rolling through the chariot spike and letting it crush skeletons for you). If you do Copse ASAP then it can be painful, but if you show up later like you did it’s not so bad.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't normally block the skeletons or roll through the spike, I hide in the alcoves and just try to kill nearby skeletons right before I do.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't think I've ever really fought the invisible guys. Just run awaaaaaaaaay

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

IronicDongz posted:

I don't normally block the skeletons or roll through the spike, I hide in the alcoves and just try to kill nearby skeletons right before I do.

This is pretty much what I did. Even when they did manage to stay alive the most threatening thing any of the skellies could actually do is fire arrows at me.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I don't think I've ever really fought the invisible guys. Just run awaaaaaaaaay

Eventually I did give up on trying to clear them out (missed one chest, nothing important) but they do have a nasty tendency of trying to backstab you. Which at that point was a non-negotiable OHK, even at full HP and probably still is.:argh:

Landing backstabs on enemies also seems uh, a lot more generous than in 1? Or maybe just way buggier. About half the time if I dodged through the Leo Knights' basic swings and was anywhere near their back I could convert it into a backstab. The phantom in front of the chariot arena similarly died when I dodged all of one attack and then oops all backstab. Dunno if the sweet spot is larger, I'm unwittingly doing some magic 180 trick thanks to lock-on/attack aiming, or both.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 6, 2020

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Chariot is actually pretty awful to do if you bonfire ascetic it (which YOU will he tempted to do) because the run up to him is pretty awful.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Chariot is actually pretty awful to do if you bonfire ascetic it (which YOU will he tempted to do) because the run up to him is pretty awful.

Whoo yeah. I got the Dark Souls itch again and this has been my first time really using the ascetics so I looked up what places get cool stuff and hell yeah +2 cloranthy ring for a gimmick boss. Those S&M guys get pretty intimidating especially since sometimes they all just decide to jump down at once to whip my rear end.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I foolishly got cocky just 'cause I took out Freja, got the rest of Vengarl's threads, and got the dragon ring from Tark.

For me it's entirely down to the phantom. I can generally get a clean-ish fight with the BDSM boys (even managed to do it once when their aggro bugged the gently caress out, since they'll start to leash if you retreat back over the stone bridge), I can pretty easily outrun them and just walk into the boss, or I could force them into extinction. But Mr. PVP tryhard is gonna be there every time now.

Also the one time I did make it into the boss I immediately got crowded by all three skeletons in one of the cubbies and it turns out they do real damage now so I died pretty much immediately and subsequently lost a fair few souls. :negative: I could probably dial it in and eventually come out on top but that loving run back...

And I guess I was feeling spicy since I pivoted from that absolute failure over to Royal Rat Authority. Reeeeeally not a fan of that fight either but the fucker's dead now.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Throw some alluring skulls!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nothing else in this game compares to the satisfaction of pasting an ogre with the 2HR2 combo of the smelter hammer. They literally go ragdolling up into the air. Godamn it’s good

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

goblin week posted:

Throw some alluring skulls!

Definitely a trick I will keep in my back pocket (or honestly more likely forget completely by the time its relevant again) but for now I'm content to let that white whale go and move on with the rest of the game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Every time I start this game up after it's been a while I think "Hey I'm good at this game I'll go gently caress up the starting ogre that drops the stone ring" and then I die horribly.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I cheezed every single ogre with poison arrows :negative:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
My trick to the +purgatory phantom was to lure him a few steps away from the fog gate, bait him into attacking, and then running to the boss since his weapon is big and slow. Any other playthrough I don't think I'd have had too much trouble with him but he's got enough armor to just tank my dual-caestus punchman even with the stone ring. I've since upgraded to the bone fist which would've done the trick but ah well.

Side note: goddamn the bone fist is fun.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Gobblecoque posted:

Side note: goddamn the bone fist is fun.

The weapons with special movesets in DS2 are, IMO, the most fun in the series. Bone Fist, Santier's, Majestic Greatsword, Watcher's Greatsword, Warped Sword, Pate's Spear, etc, all a blast to use.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

axolotl farmer posted:

I cheezed every single ogre with poison arrows :negative:

If you stand to the back-left or back-right of the ogres, they aggressively sit at you. That's the only move they do if you're in the right location, so you can just kill them at your leisure by moving back over and over and alternating sides so that they don't sit onto the cliff.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I like to call it the rear end loop and it's very powerful

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

The weapons with special movesets in DS2 are, IMO, the most fun in the series. Bone Fist, Santier's, Majestic Greatsword, Watcher's Greatsword, Warped Sword, Pate's Spear, etc, all a blast to use.
The Majestic Greatsword is something I appreciate for being better left-handed than right-handed. So much of the control scheme in these games is centered around LH shield/secondary weapon and RH primary weapon so I will take anything that bucks that and pays attention to a good tenth of the world's population.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Despite my hatred for the ogres and their bullshit hitboxes, my favorite gently caress moment in dark souls was when the 2nd ogre bursts through the wall at the end of Aldia's keep.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
On my last playthrough, me, a genius: so there's a ogre that bursts through this wall, gotta lure him back to break this doorway too.

At the next door: isn't there something about this door too? Hmmohshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In general I've found a lot of nasty enemies will back off if you just run away a bit. The first hippo in Things Betwixt is the easiest of the bunch since he can't fit through the hole you use to reach him in the first place. The two on the beach struggle with the shortcut tree. And since they turn around to stomp back to their spawn points it's a little easier to get them into a butt loop once you do re-engage.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Despite my hatred for the ogres and their bullshit hitboxes, my favorite gently caress moment in dark souls was when the 2nd ogre bursts through the wall at the end of Aldia's keep.

I got to see this happen to someone in real time yesterday. :allears: I started laughing maniacally. Then he backed up and it attacked, breaking the cage holding yet another one and I laughed even harder.