Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I might be wrong, but I think Gutenberg blocks are just visual representations of shortcodes. As in if you're not in the visual builder, you'll see a shortcode.

They're similar, but they're not actually shortcodes. The backend architecture is entirely different, and vastly more complex. When editing, if you're not in Gutenberg blocks look something like this:

code:
<!-- example video block -->
<!-- wp:core-embed/youtube {"url":"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZerUbHmuY04","type":"video","providerNameSlug":"youtube","className":"wp-embed-aspect-16-9 wp-has-aspect-ratio"} -->
<figure class="wp-block-embed-youtube wp-block-embed is-type-video is-provider-youtube wp-embed-aspect-16-9 wp-has-aspect-ratio"><div class="wp-block-embed__wrapper">
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZerUbHmuY04[/url]
</div></figure>
<!-- /wp:core-embed/youtube -->

<!-- example custom block using ACF blocks -->
<!-- wp:acf/tip {"id":"block_5f7b280a12f78","name":"acf/tip","data":{"field_5e33418b64e42":"Tip text.","field_5e3c5f85a8522":"in-column","field_5ee3cd8f08ea0":"magenta","field_5ee8e26cd6ed3":"solid"},"align":"","mode":"preview"} /-->
You'd never really want to interface with blocks this way as they're fragile. However shortcodes still work just fine in Gutenberg, there's actually a "Shortcode" block. :)

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I guess I was thinking that at a higher level, shortcodes and Gutenberg blocks occupy the same space: providing the user with code-light shortcuts to create elements on the page. If gutenberg blocks end up getting supported in widgets -- which looks to be already in the works -- then I could see shortcodes being phased out over time. But given the huge number of plugins that rely on shortcodes for implementation, that probably won't happen any time soon.

Widgets and sidebars themselves are sort of an old-school concept, but hell, I still have one on my site :shrug:

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 5, 2020

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Yea, the official plan is to replace all shortcodes with Gutenberg blocks. In the end, you should be able to download a specific block from the block library, and just use that.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Empress Brosephine posted:

What theme you using?

Right now it's Web Log Pro from ThemeMiles. I'm not attached to it primarily because of the thumbnail image resize thing. Mostly looking for something that has a simple, clean design that will help tackle the issues I mentioned about the blog post list.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Wordpress should have bought Elementor instead of bothering with Gutenberg, it's so unfriendly!

I'm not convinced that "doing what wix does" is a good plan at all.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

DaWolfey posted:

Wordpress should have bought Elementor instead of bothering with Gutenberg, it's so unfriendly!

I'm not convinced that "doing what wix does" is a good plan at all.

Elementor is way too bloated, relies on a massive, extremely delicate JS app to edit pages, and up until very, very recently lacked super basic functionality (ie. update an element in one place and it updates it in lots of places).

Gutenberg is a lot friendlier than TinyMCE ever was, it's just different and initially people always hate things that are different. It has a lot of growing pains to get through, but it's a step in the right direction.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Elementor is great if you don't know css. If you do but still don't want to hand code, I reccomend Flatsome theme and using the UX Builder mixed in with css.

I'm alos very lazy and typically stick with Elementor though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I wish the Custom HTML block was taller. Hate having to do it in Sublime Text and paste it back into the Custom HTML block just to see what I'm doing if it's more complicated than a paragraph tag.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Elementor is great if you don't know css. If you do but still don't want to hand code, I reccomend Flatsome theme and using the UX Builder mixed in with css.

I'm alos very lazy and typically stick with Elementor though.

I did pick up Flatsome, and it's a ton closer to what I'm looking for. Thanks for mentioning it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No worries. I'm going to start making 5he shift towards Gatsby and headless WordPress soon I think. I dunno, WordPress is nice when you make sites for people who don't know how to use anything. Which is like all of my clients.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

No worries. I'm going to start making 5he shift towards Gatsby and headless WordPress soon I think. I dunno, WordPress is nice when you make sites for people who don't know how to use anything. Which is like all of my clients.

Yeah being able to hand off a site and go "Here you go, there are literally millions of people using this same system." I think accessibility and SEO issues are still a problem with a Javascript front-end though. I'm sure there are ways around that, but not any that my company I work with is going to want to retrain their staff for, so long as Wordpress sticks with PHP.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah being able to hand off a site and go "Here you go, there are literally millions of people using this same system."

This is the main reason why WP work makes up the majority of my projects. People want to use it, it's incredibly well documented and extended (both from official and unofficial sources), and it's constantly being improved. It's not a perfect system, but what is?

LifeLynx posted:

I think accessibility and SEO issues are still a problem with a Javascript front-end though.

It's definitely possible to make an accessible, SEO-friendly site with a front-end that's entirely generated by a JS framework, but it takes a little extra effort and 99% of the devs in the world are lazy af.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
So I want to make a custom post type called 'Editions' that just has a few fields, a name, date, upload field for a PDF, and then an upload field for a cover image. I also ideally want some sort of endpoint that will return the most recent PDF and cover image, so I can point some other sites to it for reference.

Is all this possible with Custom Post Types UI and Advanced Custom Fields, or should I just look into rolling my own plugin?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That and like WP Graphql for the endpoint if your other application can take graphql

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Definitely all possible with CPTUI and ACF.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Let's say a client has a website, and the person who "developed" it overused plugins to the point where the site takes almost ten seconds to load. Even setting up Autoptimize doesn't fix it. I know every site is different, but are there any go-to solutions you use? I usually end up telling them "Look, your old developer used a plugin that uses unnecessary Javascript and PHP to render a button that should be done with like three lines of CSS, and a page builder that's injecting 3MB worth of JS/CSS, there's only so much you can do before you want to think about recoding the entire site." But of course no one wants to hear that their site is a lemon that needs so many parts replaced it might as well be redone from scratch.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

LifeLynx posted:

Let's say a client has a website, and the person who "developed" it overused plugins to the point where the site takes almost ten seconds to load. Even setting up Autoptimize doesn't fix it. I know every site is different, but are there any go-to solutions you use? I usually end up telling them "Look, your old developer used a plugin that uses unnecessary Javascript and PHP to render a button that should be done with like three lines of CSS, and a page builder that's injecting 3MB worth of JS/CSS, there's only so much you can do before you want to think about recoding the entire site." But of course no one wants to hear that their site is a lemon that needs so many parts replaced it might as well be redone from scratch.

Link them to this post

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

You already know the answer, you stated in your post. You’re better off telling the client the truth, and if it means they don’t want to work with you then you probably didn’t want them as a client in the first place.

In my experience people like this usually didn’t have a developer in the first place, rather a person who “knows WordPress“ put the site together for them.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! This is a company that uses me and other developers, and I'm the only one who knows my way around enough to not bloat sites. The company installs Yoast and Wordfence, but the only plugins I use are essential and well-tested.

Another question: it's unavoidable to have to use a form plugin, but if I add reCAPTCHA to them, it comes up as render-blocking no matter what I try with async and/or defer. Is there a way to load the form after page load? I've seen some "Lazy Load Widgets" plugins, but I'd like to be able to do it without a plugin.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gunna ask this in here incase any of you have a suggestion

Hey all I have a similar question to the user above and I'm not sure if this is the best place for the question but:

I have a client that wants to be able to have a handful (20?) of their employees have some kind of UI to enter in certain data, which then hits a database which can be reported on with charts. The "catch" is some of that data needs to be exported to be used within a WordPress/Javascript site to display as basically time availability etc.

I'm guessing the answer is to do a postgres database which I could then access via Javascript (right?), but is there a good reporting tool that will grab the data and display it for them that is friendly to use?

I barely know SQL and have a basic understanding of Javascript, but I have until January to learn and deploy this. That said if any of you know of any "all in one" solutions I don't mind using something like that I. E. Access. I guess the most important thing is that it allows people to log in and submit data through a form or profile and then for it to have data be reportable and exposed for display.

Thanks goons

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Odd question: does anyone have good suggestions for adding a blog archive pagination function within the Flatsome theme? Preferably one that doesn't require that I pay for a plug in? With a little bit of research I have been finding some coding options to add to various PHP files. But the big problem is that they're not really clear on what the actual displayed result should be. Also I had seen a mention elsewhere in which someone tried a similar path and they could never get anything to show up. If it should be possible I'm not really sure what I'm missing to get it to work.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hah I just ran into that same issue yesterday with Flatsome. I'm still looking for answers I'll let ya know if I find one

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Search & Filter Pro is a solid (albeit paid) plugin for creating archive pages (including phonation) with optional filters and search and other fanciness. It requires some setup, but a knowledge of code isn’t strictly necessary for implementation. I imagine it probably works with that theme, but you could contact their support and ask to be sure.

As a developer I had some qualms with the JS hooks they offered, but that was my only concern.

That all being said, I’d be surprised if your theme doesn’t already offer support for it.

E: their example site uses pagination on a blog archive. Contact the theme makers, there’s surely a way to enable it. https://flatsome3.uxthemes.com/blog/

kedo fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 6, 2020

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

kedo posted:

E: their example site uses pagination on a blog archive. Contact the theme makers, there’s surely a way to enable it. https://flatsome3.uxthemes.com/blog/

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll hit them up and see what they say.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hi, this might be a question for the more general web design thread but I'm posting here first because I have a feeling wordpress is the answer. Furthermore,

LifeLynx posted:

being able to hand off a site and go "Here you go, there are literally millions of people using this same system."

Hello! That's what I want. I volunteer at a non-profit (I'm the unlucky "guy who knows about computers" so the website but also basically all of IT is left to me) and we run training/networking events, manage a job board and publish a printed journal as a local kind of hub for people in our field. We need to manage memberships, do events (registration/payment/promotion/follow-up), and promote/provide visibility to our journal. We're in Europe, we've got about 400 paid members (down from 900 ten years ago).

What we have now:
Our website is currently in Drupal and we use CiviCRM to manage the memberships and event registration stuff. I do a hacky sloppy manual update from CiviCRM to Mailchimp for our newsletter and promotions. The printed journal is just posted as a pdf that's only available to the public for a limited time with the back issues members-only. Everything's a big pain in the dick because we have to go through our Drupal devs or the Civi devs for a lot of stuff and any large real changes are simply way out of our budget at this point. The telecoms engineer who was the head of the website project has long since stepped away.

What we'd like to have:
Something that's cheap and (relatively) fast to set up and also easy to onboard editors/authors/future admins. A CRM that plays nice with both Mailchimp and postal mail, also handles monthly and/or annual membership payments as well as event registration and site visibility (so paid-up members see more than anonymous visitors). A versatile CMS that offers different page types (event pages, general info pages, blog-style pages for journal articles to be posted, job board for situations vacant and looking for work categories). I'd like to have about 2-3 editors plus a crew of authors.

Questions:
Is there any reason to consider something other than Wordpress? We did it in Drupal/CiviCRM primarily because of security concerns related to the member data we were holding--this was in 2013.
Are there any Wordpress CRMs that can handle all that? Some combination of plugins?
Is there an event management plugin I should look at? We'll hopefully be back to in-person events by next fall/winter but some of our online events will probably continue.
Any massive blind spots that stick out? Something I've totally overlooked?

Thanks for any advice you can offer! I'm mostly trying to understand my options at this point before I say anything to the rest of the committee.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you have any budget? Wild Apricot is what the non profit I work with uses for crm, membership and event planning

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah we do, we're paying a couple thou per year just for security and updates which I want to cut but it hasn't been proposed yet. Although the budget is going into the shitter so I want to get ahead of that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Imho all the WordPress crm plugins are trash and are putting bandaids on the problem. Non profits can get free Salesforce also I think.

I usually consult this list for plugins though; I trust kinsta more than anyone else in the game outside of goons

https://kinsta.com/best-wordpress-plugins/

https://kinsta.com/blog/wordpress-crm/

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Imho all the WordPress crm plugins are trash and are putting bandaids on the problem. Non profits can get free Salesforce also I think.

I agree with this take. Having helped nonprofits setup similar membership/events/email management plugins on Wordpress before, it's never going to work as well as a paid-for service designed for your specific use case. With Wordpress you end up juggling a bunch of plugins and nothing ever really ends up working well together. I've also found people have a pretty hard time wrapping their head around a Wordpress install with like 5 different plugins to manage membership/email stuff. It's better to find an integrated system that you can get support for instead of some cobbled together thing, it's not worth the savings (if any!).

You could always do the core website in Wordpress and then offload the other stuff to a CRM service?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

oof, member stuff is already hard but I was hoping maybe things had progressed from when we looked at it before. It's good to hear some positive feedback about Wild Apricot, I remember checking that out as a possibility a while ago. I had not heard about the Salesforce offer so that's interesting! We are registered with TechSoup so that should get us on the approved lists for that sort of thing.

We're already running into the problem frogbs is describing with MailChimp and our CRM and the Drupal site and basically the Drupal site has to go at this point because it costs too much and it doesn't offer enough. I've been at this place since we got this thing set up and I just don't think I could ever hand it off to anyone in the state it's in. It would be nice to have it all in one but that takes a lot of work and you gotta pay people for that, so maybe a split system like you suggest is worth looking at, just making sure we can harmonise as much as possible when we set it up.

Thanks so much for the advice so far!

edit: I'm gonna take another look at Wild Apricot for sure :)

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I usually consult this list for plugins though; I trust kinsta more than anyone else in the game outside of goons

https://kinsta.com/best-wordpress-plugins/

There's some good looking plugins I've never heard of in here, thanks! I might try Query Monitor to improve site optimization, if it can show more information than Chrome's Dev Tools. Might also try switching away from NextGen Gallery and trying Modula or Envira. Maybe the 20 image per gallery limit won't be so bad, I do a lot of blue collar sites and it'll convince them that they don't really need 98 images of random dumpsters in their gallery.

There are also a lot of plugins I'd never use. Most of it is because I know PHP and Javascript, so I can do things like sliders without plugins that inject tons of code into the front end. Revolution Slider is the bane of my existence when upgrading old sites, it's not update-friendly at all. I also hate the Head, Footer and Post Injections plugin because it's yet another area where random bits of code can hide. Where is this code coming from: a setting in the theme, a file in the theme, a setting in the page, a widget, or the Header, Footer and Post Injections plugin?

The company I work with is in the process of upgrading all their old sites (some of which they didn't create, just inherited) to PHP 7.X and the newest WP versions. We're finding a lot of old plugins left in the dust, some that haven't been updated in over five years so they're not compatible at all. Sometimes that means the entire core of the site is rotten and it would need to be rebuilt from scratch. Page builders are a huge problem; as user-friendly as Elementor can be, they inject tons of code and scripts that slows down sites. There are so many page builders from years past that don't work anymore, and there's no way around it.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Oh that's another thing I was wondering, what is the update cycle like these days? I have my own WP site that I just kind of left to wither and I remember there seemed to be monthly things I had to update or patch or something like that (I could be misremembering it in a bitchy haze). Have things settled down a bit by now? And am I still going to get floods of spam comments injected into every post or has Wordfence taken care of that?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do you inject the Javascript code right into the theme?

Updates are still constant and best to stay on top of. I have a eight hour window tomorrow night to basically retool a site that ran on Flatsome 2 that is bugging out. Going to update it to Flatsome 3

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...
Don´t see any reason why WordPress shouldn´t work. Few custom post types and some sort of membership plugin should cover most of it. WordPress to MailChimp integration is pretty easy, i usually set it up to automatically send out certain categories at certain time. After that I never have had to touch them.

greazeball posted:

Oh that's another thing I was wondering, what is the update cycle like these days? I have my own WP site that I just kind of left to wither and I remember there seemed to be monthly things I had to update or patch or something like that (I could be misremembering it in a bitchy haze). Have things settled down a bit by now? And am I still going to get floods of spam comments injected into every post or has Wordfence taken care of that?

Around three major updates per year, plus some automatic security updates. They now also have a way to set plugins to update themselves automatically. Unless your site is really old, I wouldn´t really worry about updates breaking things.

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 10, 2020

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

So I want to make a custom post type called 'Editions' that just has a few fields, a name, date, upload field for a PDF, and then an upload field for a cover image. I also ideally want some sort of endpoint that will return the most recent PDF and cover image, so I can point some other sites to it for reference.

Is all this possible with Custom Post Types UI and Advanced Custom Fields, or should I just look into rolling my own plugin?

So I got this working using CPTUI and ACF, but there's one part that I think I could be smarter about.

I want to return the uploaded image of the most recent post in my custom post type at a static URL, like site.com/currentissue.jpg. This way I can point some other sites to it without having to setup any sort of feed parsing at each site. The dumb way I figured out how to do it would be to add a redirect at a static URL in functions.php. It wont have a JPG extension, and from what i've read browsers will follow redirects at image URLs.

The question is, is there a better way to do this that i'm not thinking of, or is this "fine"?

Edit: Adding actual code that works but might be super dumb:
code:
 /*Sets redirect URL for most recent issue cover*/

add_action('parse_request', 'most_recent_issue_cover');

function most_recent_issue_cover() {
   if($_SERVER["REQUEST_URI"] == '/currentissueCover') {
         $args = array(
            'post_type' => 'issues',
            'post_status' => 'publish',
            'posts_per_page' => '1'
        );

$query = new WP_Query( $args );
        if( $query->have_posts() ){
            while( $query->have_posts() ){
                $query->the_post();
                $issueCoverID = get_post_meta( get_the_ID(), 'cover_image', true );
                $issueCoverURL = wp_get_attachment_image_src( $issueCoverID, 'full');
                wp_redirect($issueCoverURL[0]);
            }
        }
        wp_reset_postdata();
      exit();
   }
}

frogbs fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 10, 2020

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

If it works that seems like a fairly simple and fine solution. Can you actually use that URL as an img src?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

kedo posted:

If it works that seems like a fairly simple and fine solution. Can you actually use that URL as an img src?

Yep! Browsers will follow the redirect, it’s worked everywhere I’ve tried it so far.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I run a teachers association with an active membership of around 26,000. I use WP for our website, but definitely not as a CRM, because

Imho all the WordPress crm plugins are trash and are putting bandaids on the problem.

I actually maintain our Member data through Quickbase. Wordpress really is gash as a CRM, it is however pretty decent for restricting access to content, managing events, and keeping your email database updated. There is even a pretty reliable workaround in Zapier that will take submitted form data from WP and use it to create a record in QB.

The big part of this equation is how many users you have? I definitely wouldn't trust WP with a large user base.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

We're a lot smaller than that. We're down now to around 500 active memberships across the different categories (we're also a teachers org, so that includes teachers, schools and publishers/sponsors), but we've got around 2500 total contacts in the database. A big reason behind my desire to undertake this whole change is to find a way to somehow reactivate these other contacts so I wouldn't want to give them up exactly, but it would also be a big monthly expense in Wild Apricot for example.

edit: Honestly, if it seems like there's no magic bullet WP CRM solution (and when is there ever), the cheapest and easiest thing would just be to link CiviCRM up to a new WP site and keep the whole DB intact rather than trying to copy that over too. Unless there's some dreadful problem getting those 2 to play nice together.

greazeball fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

greazeball posted:

We're a lot smaller than that. We're down now to around 500 active memberships across the different categories (we're also a teachers org, so that includes teachers, schools and publishers/sponsors), but we've got around 2500 total contacts in the database. A big reason behind my desire to undertake this whole change is to find a way to somehow reactivate these other contacts so I wouldn't want to give them up exactly, but it would also be a big monthly expense in Wild Apricot for example.

edit: Honestly, if it seems like there's no magic bullet WP CRM solution (and when is there ever), the cheapest and easiest thing would just be to link CiviCRM up to a new WP site and keep the whole DB intact rather than trying to copy that over too. Unless there's some dreadful problem getting those 2 to play nice together.

Something like this may help integrate the two.