Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

It's astonishing.

https://twitter.com/AllenWest/status/1313563364379914240

Did he, this guy who is definitely from here, just say "our Texas" in a tweet disparaging WILLIE NELSON

I know two people who this year, accepted good jobs and moved to California. It's a conundrum for sure because they couldn't find jobs they wanted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oil! posted:

People will vote against your candidate if they get enough unsolicited calls.

I mean, if the phone screen showed "Oprah calling" or "Willie Nelson calling" hell yeah I'm gonna answer. But otherwise, I'm just gonna ignore and then block the number.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

i don't get why caller ID isn't a thing for cellphones but it is for landlines

Badger of Basra posted:

Looking forward to when Texas public schools go to three-day weeks next year

honestly the way things are going I'd be pretty jazzed to see gangs of youths roaming the streets or whatever on eternal 4 day weekends

the U.S. has already thrown parents under the bus wrt childcare
now, just axe the whole education thing - that's small government, right there.

wolfs fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 6, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

wolfs posted:

i don't get why caller ID isn't a thing for cellphones but it is for landlines

It used to be a thing for cellphones too. I remember my first few phones displaying a name when someone called, and it used to be an annoyance when family plans all displayed the name of the account holder instead of whoever actually had the phone.

I wonder when it stopped.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

When the cell companies realized they could charge for it.
I think att charges like $3/mo for it

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

zoux posted:

Did he, this guy who is definitely from here, just say "our Texas" in a tweet disparaging WILLIE NELSON

"Our" referring to Republicans across the nation and in Russia.

Fascism is all about denying political rights to groups outside your own, and the Republicans are pretty straightforward about trying to lock up states regardless of the political or ideological slant of their populations in order to create a facade of popular support to use to control the federal government. I'm pretty sure a lot of them are on record for saying that they're trying to reduce the amount of voters, and they sure do circulate all those arguments directly against democracy in defense of the electoral college or the filibuster or gerrymandering or whatever poorly-planned facet of our government that they're currently relying on to consolidate power.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

They're probably just going to reopen under another name.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

They're probably just going to reopen under another name.

It looks like the Wilks are just giving the money directly to campaigns rather than funneling it through ET.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

zoux posted:

It's astonishing.

this motherfucker

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

It's astonishing.

Isn't Allen West from Florida? Known to be in the East?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Actually, I wonder if conservatives think of being a "texan" like baptism, like it only really counts if you become an adult and decide of your own volition to move to Texas as a true believer.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I'm a cafeteria Texan (the cafeteria is Picadilly)

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm a cafeteria Texan (the cafeteria is Picadilly)

Only acceptable because you can't go to Luby's anymore :(

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KPRC2/status/1313690522406486016

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
How do we start a trend of adding "and Carpetbagger" to Noted War Criminal Allen West's name.

Noted War Criminal and Carpetbagger Allen West. Got a ring to it.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
F'n lol.

Also if Paxton could go down and take a bunch of shitheads with him, that would be great.

I know we live in the post-law age, but it's nice to imagine.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Actually, I wonder if conservatives think of being a "texan" like baptism, like it only really counts if you become an adult and decide of your own volition to move to Texas as a true believer.

i was born in the state but i'm not really observant. my dad was a texan and so i just believed what he believed

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

radical meme posted:

I don't even understand the reasoning behind phone banking anymore. You're trying to convince people that are too stupid to ignore an unsolicited phone call to vote for your guy. Who the hell even answers an unsolicited phone call in the year 2020.

Mid level managers with an obligation to, and the kind of insane old fucks who find the melt-brained rants of Biden and Trump "Relatable".

i say swears online posted:

lmao this is bigger news than dan patrick dying of covid

Don't tease us

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah lmao if you have such a good job that you can ignore a call on your personal phone for any reason whatsoever

i desperately, frantically answer calls about my car's warranty that expired in 2015

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lemniscate Blue posted:

How do we start a trend of adding "and Carpetbagger" to Noted War Criminal Allen West's name.

Noted War Criminal and Carpetbagger Allen West. Got a ring to it.

Florida man is better, I think.

In any case, noted war criminal and Florida man Allen West disparaging native Texan and legitimate national treasure Willie got me wondering how many assholes running our state are actually alamosexual carpetbaggers, and it's quite a few! Both Dan Patrick and Ken Paxton are just dickheads playing cowboy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

everyone is a dickhead playing cowboy hth

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

i say swears online posted:

everyone is a dickhead playing cowboy hth

Yeah but for some of us that is our birth right. :texas::clint:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I'm like 7th generation rear end in a top hat cowboy. Where's my loving lifted F250 dualie king ranch edition???

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jsmccullou/status/1313842812878761984

Now for Abbott to amend his executive order un-extending early voting

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I know Texans haven't voted a governor out in nearly three decades but I am looking forward to 2022 so I can impotently vote against Abbott.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if abbott didn't like that tree there, why did he lie back and enjoy it

edit beyond my egregiously awful joke here, what could abbott do to lose? jade helm, ICE and covid were bad enough, what worse could he do politically?

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!
https://twitter.com/JZBleiberg/status/1313848909576495107

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/ayanmittra/status/1313860382734397440?s=20

This man is looking rough for 33

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wow he's getting insane returns on his investments. Must be because of his business acumen and work ethic...oh no it was because of crimes

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Hang on, am I reading this correctly?

Texas Tribune posted:

According to the Houston Chronicle, former top aides to Paxton have alleged that the attorney general inappropriately appointed a special prosecutor to target “adversaries” of Paul, who donated $25,000 to Paxton’s reelection campaign in 2018. Those “adversaries” appear to include agents who raided Paul’s home and business office, though Paxton has confirmed only that he authorized an investigation into “allegations of crimes relating to the FBI, other government agencies and individuals” and that the investigation involved Paul.

Are they telling us that Paxton tasked a special prosecutor to go after FBI agents who raided Paul? Paxton thought that he could go after the feds?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Blotto_Otter posted:

Are they telling us that Paxton tasked a special prosecutor to go after FBI agents who raided Paul? Paxton thought that he could go after the feds?

With Barr as AG, it's quite likely it would have worked.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

My man has accused his seven top deputies of being rogue agents and is refusing to step aside, don't think he's the brightest bulb in the Texas GOP lightshow

"He shared a Sun Tzu quote this summer: “Pretend to be weak, so your enemy may grow arrogant,” appending the hashtag #WorldClass."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nglVo9rj2Nk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Blotto_Otter posted:

rod rosenstein would have just separated paxton from his parents

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

That's not okay, but it's not a problem for the Trump campaign to send unsolicited absentee ballot applications.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/p...4c-8bdcd8740c28

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/toddgillman/status/1313870417753518091

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

https://twitter.com/TexasTribune/status/1313875599358861314

You can tell this is Bill Miller the lobbyist and not Bill Miller the restaurant, because only one of those actually knows anything about smoke

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Paxton has said Texas will go after voters who filled out the mail in ballot form with disability box checked due to fears of COVID-19. Do any of you fall under this category? How exactly will they go after the voters? Can they request a medical history? Is it basically an empty threat? Will they just throw away my ballot because of this? I'm really confused and annoyed about this whole debacle.

I will probably surrender my mail in ballot once it arrives and just vote in person.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Bioshuffle posted:

Paxton has said Texas will go after voters who filled out the mail in ballot form with disability box checked due to fears of COVID-19. Do any of you fall under this category? How exactly will they go after the voters? Can they request a medical history? Is it basically an empty threat? Will they just throw away my ballot because of this? I'm really confused and annoyed about this whole debacle.

I will probably surrender my mail in ballot once it arrives and just vote in person.

I thought the courts said it was 100% ok to do mail in ballots with the disability box checked for specifically this reason? Am I misremembering?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

poemdexter posted:

I thought the courts said it was 100% ok to do mail in ballots with the disability box checked for specifically this reason? Am I misremembering?

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.go...-actual-illness

quote:

Fear of contracting COVID-19, however, is a normal emotional reaction to the current pandemic and does not amount to an actual disability that qualifies a voter to receive a ballot by mail.

I believe he has said he will go after voters who do this, but I can't find the relevant article at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You're gonna have to show me where he said that.

From the SCOTx ruling denying universal vote by mail due to covid

quote:

The State has conceded that “Respondents have no discretion to do anything but determine
whether the voter is entitled to vote by mail and process the application accordingly.” The State
acknowledges that the Election Code does not require election clerks to “investigate each applicant’s
disability.” Indeed, the Legislature rejected the requirement of a physician’s proof of disability for
mail-in voting applications when it amended the Election Code in 1981.65 And the application form
provided by the Secretary of State requires only that voters check a box indicating whether the reason
for seeking a ballot by mail is a disability. The voter is not instructed to declare the nature of the
underlying disability. The elected officials have placed in the hands of the voter the determination
of whether in-person voting will cause a likelihood of injury due to a physical condition. The
respondents do not have a ministerial duty, reviewable by mandamus, to look beyond the application
to vote by mail. Moreover, while the State has alleged that the Clerks are accepting “improper
application[s],” there is no evidence in the record that any has accepted a faulty application.

There's no way to prove that a person is lying about a disability. The whole reason the GOP was trying so hard to keep Harris Co. from mailing out absentee ballot applications to all county residents was because they knew that people could just claim a disability and vote by mail regardless (and well they should). It's the same the state's voter ID law, if you don't have photo ID you can cast a regular ballot if you sign an affidavit stating that you had a reasonable hardship to obtaining an ID - and no one can challenge you on it. You could put "aliens from Mars stole my drivers license" and they'd have to say "Fine"