Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu Kaisen's OP is really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8bZVdTgXoY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

drat that's dope

Also

there he is

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

My Man

.....My man

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wow the first episode of the jujutsu kaisen anime is great. super impressed. hope it can keep this up the whole season

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I really love mashle. It gives me that "luffy punching the celestial dragon" vibe every other chapter.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

I really love mashle. It gives me that "luffy punching the celestial dragon" vibe every other chapter.

Yeah I don’t know why, but that final spread was so satisfying.

Roboco: poor Tienshinhan can’t even catch a break out of Dragonball

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hes channeling incredible saitama energies and I love it

I wonder whats hapoening in juju-

No no no no no no no no please no

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 4, 2020

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Kingtheninja posted:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The finger-breaking walk was awesome. :black101:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

The finger-breaking walk was awesome. :black101:
He really wishes he could do that remotely or with a crossbar. loving ouch

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mashle:
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007813

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/mashle-chapter-33/chapter/21367?action=read

:hellyeah:

Roboco:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/me-and-roboco-chapter-12/chapter/21369?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007833

I love that this series can have this kind of chapter while keeping up it's ridiculous humor.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Jujutsu Kaisen

:shobon: Yuji really needed that brief moment of relief. We're packing a Nobara flashback into this arc as well so kudos to Gege for keeping it all interesting

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Roboco is really growing on me.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Kingtheninja posted:

How come it doesn't get talked up more? I checked it out on a whim after your post and its really funny. The gag is a little one note but its a good gag!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Mashle was losing me for a bit with some of the more serious chapters, but the last couple have definitely gotten me back on board again. I think it's weakest when it's trying to be a more traditional fight manga, but when it embraces its comedy for its fights it hits a lot harder, both in terms of laughs and in terms of drama in my opinion. When it tries to get too serious (mostly with side characters) then it kind of starts falling flat because they aren't really well developed enough to get that invested in, and their fighting styles aren't all that interesting to watch.

The last couple chaps have definitely won me back over though, especially this week's. Those last few steps were fantastic.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's pretty much Saitama goes to Hogwarts and it works, tbh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

Mashle was losing me for a bit with some of the more serious chapters, but the last couple have definitely gotten me back on board again. I think it's weakest when it's trying to be a more traditional fight manga, but when it embraces its comedy for its fights it hits a lot harder, both in terms of laughs and in terms of drama in my opinion. When it tries to get too serious (mostly with side characters) then it kind of starts falling flat because they aren't really well developed enough to get that invested in, and their fighting styles aren't all that interesting to watch.

The last couple chaps have definitely won me back over though, especially this week's. Those last few steps were fantastic.

I do kind of wish it would go back to the more comic early chapter style though.

Also the first episode of the Jujutsu Kaisen anime made me finally get up to date with the manga. It'll be kind of weird when they get to this part in the anime because an arc that has taken almost a year is definitely going to go faster when it is animated.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

It's pretty much Saitama goes to Hogwarts and it works, tbh

Shonen manga that takes the piss at Shonen formula is very amusing to me. I was always a fan of like Naked GUn and poo poo so I guess I just love parody and satire. I'm only up to Chapter 18 on Mashle but there's already been so many funny moments which are making fun of the "big" moments in other mangas. I loved the reveal of the enemy house gang for the BATTLE ARC.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hes channeling incredible saitama energies and I love it

I wonder whats hapoening in juju-

No no no no no no no no please no

I have faith.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think one of the things that makes Mashle work so well is the taught instinct from reading shonen where the veil is pulled back and actually the hero is weak as pissy babby and thusfar you feel like it's going to happen (perhaps subconsciously) but nope instead fingers get to snapping. Then Mashle is like "Oh I guess this coin likes me" which is some real good laconic wit. He's just very gunslinger to me. That tension and instant relief of a legitimately good one liner isn't present when the other characters are on screen so much.

And then yeah the "Luffy punches the Celestial dragon" energy is great.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm no fan of most of Mashle's friends, but I do think they help keep the manga fresh as long as they don't get too many chapters. Going from bomb guy to Mashle clowning on someone else made that fight feel so much better, which was then followed up by the delightful chapter with the bunny fan. And immediately after the bunny chapter we get to the doll man's fingers breaking. :black101:
The mangaka should be careful not to overdo Mashle's friends, but so far I feel his pacing has been good enough.

I'll make an exception for the Ravioli user friend, I do like him. Probably because he basically does the same thing as Mashle except he's played straight.

I do wish I could actually remember who all these people actually are. For some reason a lot of them just kind of gel together. Like who the hell is reaction face girl? I'm happy to see her, but I have no idea why.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

muscles like this! posted:

I do kind of wish it would go back to the more comic early chapter style though.

Also the first episode of the Jujutsu Kaisen anime made me finally get up to date with the manga. It'll be kind of weird when they get to this part in the anime because an arc that has taken almost a year is definitely going to go faster when it is animated.

Its getting animated as a seasonal not a weekly

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Its getting animated as a seasonal not a weekly

I'd love to see it just keep going as an adaptation but I'm pretty sure, unless it does great, we're gonna get 13 episodes and nothing more.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Irritated Goat posted:

I'd love to see it just keep going as an adaptation but I'm pretty sure, unless it does great, we're gonna get 13 episodes and nothing more.
Jujutsu Kaisen I think is confirmed as being 2 cour, so 24 episodes. That means we end after the Goodwill Event I think.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

On this episode of Frieren at the Funeral Z

"AURA! WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT HER POWER LEVEL"

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 6, 2020

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Irritated Goat posted:

what was the last weekly shonen jump series to get only a cour's worth of episodes? i would think the main reason why a mangaka would subject themselves to the cutthroat nature of weekly shonen jump as opposed to any other magazine is because that person would feel it would be their best shot at getting a cut of that anime ---> merchandise money

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

even if it doesn't take off the way kimetsu no yaiba did, I can't believe jujutsu kaisen's anime wouldn't be popular. the quality would have to drop off super hard

newershadow
May 18, 2014

Coaaab posted:

what was the last weekly shonen jump series to get only a cour's worth of episodes? i would think the main reason why a mangaka would subject themselves to the cutthroat nature of weekly shonen jump as opposed to any other magazine is because that person would feel it would be their best shot at getting a cut of that anime ---> merchandise money

I think the answer here is Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs, which kind of underscores the point, since it’s so different from the usual Jump series. The Promised Neverland and Dr. Stone both have second seasons coming next year, and even Hinomaru Sumo (which feels like the second most niche Jump anime in the last decade) got 2 cour.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Since Jump still hasn't got a new sports series to fill the Haikyuu shaped hole in my heart i've needed to find one myself and this one's really grabbed me. I don't know if anyone else is following it but Ao Ashi is real good imo.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Since Jump still hasn't got a new sports series to fill the Haikyuu shaped hole in my heart i've needed to find one myself and this one's really grabbed me. I don't know if anyone else is following it but Ao Ashi is real good imo.

Yeah I've been reading it too, it's good!

I like how (vol 6-7) the coach wasn't lying about making Ashito a fullback, at the beginning I was sure it was to teach him some defense or something to make him into a center. Nah, Ashito is defense now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah I was expecting that to be like a good forward must also understand defence or something. Though once it came out fullback was Akutsu's position I figured Ashito was going to stick with it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jujutsu kaisen's ed's a banger. slick visuals too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEm4tA2hMc

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Speaking of Jujutsu Kaisen I ended up seeing the raws and I am mad at Gege for basically spoiling the chapter in her comments a week or two back.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We got an update for Kaiju #8 a couple days back.
Mangaplus
Viz
And the extermination of the newest large scale Kaiju is underway. All things considered, the operation is going perfectly and I am curious whether the armed forces have other on-site experts in kaiju anatomy to handle this kind of analysis. I can get figuring things out through trial and error, and it's good that base monsters have similar anatomy to the offshoots they create. It's a good way to allow Kafka to be useful since outside his kaiju form, his physical specs are pathetic. I just hope he isn't the only one we see, provided his partner doesn't take on a similar role but with better human capabilities.

Also, that's a big loving gun and I approve. The fact that even the weapons incorporate Kaiju parts says some interesting things about how long this battle has been going on, and how versatile the kaiju threats have been going on. I expect the first one to show up was coincidentally 1954 since that's the year Godzilla debuted.

E. Revenant
Aug 26, 2002

If the abyss gazes long into you then stare right back;
make it blink.

Brought To You By posted:

We got an update for Kaiju #8 a couple days back.

Man that's a drat cool specialized role the MC has found for himself.
Mid-attack dissection is one of those things that would have know advantages but allowing a civilian crew into an active war zone would have specific know drawbacks like dead eggheads. He's treading the needle of criteria needed, can survive a kaiju attack, knows how to dissemble the kaiju, and can identify new alien organs, that they would never bother trying to select for.

The fact that he found the weakness in record time and, AND, caught the clone creatures will create clone creatures timebomb isn't as flashy as being able to blow holes in creatures the size of a townhouse but he certainly saved lives with his impromptu role.

Feels like also a little foreshadowing that the guns operate off of creature parts. There may be a situation in the future where they will need to procure on-site new ammo types.

It really feels like a sleeper series but all the Manga Plus comments a buzz about how this is good this is being handled.

E. Revenant fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 10, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I was definitely hesitant on the series during the test section but yeah this chapter is headed in a good direction, hopefully it keeps up!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Is it just me, or did the story lose interest in exploring the narrative of Hibino being in his 30s? He doesn't really act much like an adult with a lot of responsibilities or bills to pay, and is instead more like your standard cheerful and dense shonen protagonist. He has no problems relating or getting along with his fellow rookies despite being 10-12 years older than them. And nothing much would really change if you said he got his knowledge of monsters working for the clean-up division for a few years instead of a decade. Really, it just seems like his age is only used as an excuse as to why he's the underdog who got the worst grades among his peers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Is it just me, or did the story lose interest in exploring the narrative of Hibino being in his 30s? He doesn't really act much like an adult with a lot of responsibilities or bills to pay, and is instead more like your standard cheerful and dense shonen protagonist. He has no problems relating or getting along with his fellow rookies despite being 10-12 years older than them. And nothing much would really change if you said he got his knowledge of monsters working for the clean-up division for a few years instead of a decade. Really, it just seems like his age is only used as an excuse as to why he's the underdog who got the worst grades among his peers.

yea I've been saying since the beginning that the guy doesn't act his age and it doesn't add anything to the story. the childhood friend girl also should have moved on years ago if it's been that long. the ages detract more than they add. like it'd be one thing if he was a manchild and the series had something to say about that but it doesn't seem to

not to say that I dislike the series or anything but that aspect doesn't work imo

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Just seems like a very weak justification for why this is his last chance to live out his dream.

It does shine a funny light on how Shonen protagonists always act like brash people in their early 20s though, regardless of their actual age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The new MangaPlus detective series Ron Kamonohashi: Deranged Detective has quite a good first chapter.
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100119