Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, the one with twenty nested 'if' statements was a good one.

That was a doozy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Isn't the German studio doing S42? Wouldn't it be funny if it actually comes out and is just an exercise in German Expressionism.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/FhAlZyI.mp4

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Lammasu posted:

Isn't the German studio doing S42? Wouldn't it be funny if it actually comes out and is just an exercise in German Expressionism.
I don't even think they know who is in charge anymore or what studio is supposed to do what. but here's the breakdown

germany: mostly engine updates

wilmslow UK: used to be mainly focused on SQ42, switched to SC, switched back to SQ42, opened a new location below

derby UK: originally doing pickup mocap, now looking like its partially handling SQ42

LA USA: high level executive hangout where they can go to elite sex parties (no joke), used to be in a super loving expensive place in Santa Monica, mostly HR/management/execs and artists with a few "high level" programmers

whoops, forgot about CIG austin, supposedly handling networking

current 3rd party confirmed contractors

firesprite, located in liverpool. looking like they might be CI's go-to for help with some sq42 gameplay and primarily console porting

turbulent, located in montreal, looking like they are taking over much of Star Citizen development -- [not confirmed] most likely the ones who helped create most, if not all, the citcon demos we've seen

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 6, 2020

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Re commandos discussing how cig will celebrate sc's birthday on the 10th

quote:

The CEO of Nvidia made a great video from his kitchen presenting nothing more and nothing less than the next technological revolution in computer graphics, and it turned out very well.

Given this precedent, it would be foolish to do absolutely nothing. The most logical thing is that CIG already has a surprise prepared

Saludos!

yes the most logical thing to do is to look at what cig's competitor and similarly-successful firm *checks notes* nvidia has been doing

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I thought the Firesprite working with CIG thing was just a baseless rumor based on someone there also being named Chris Roberts?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
goin fine

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I thought the Firesprite working with CIG thing was just a baseless rumor based on someone there also being named Chris Roberts?
nope, that was the "omg chris roberts is doing space documentaries" thing, firesprite is a real thing that's been confirmed by bootcha

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

I don't even think they know who is in charge anymore or what studio is supposed to do what. but here's the breakdown

germany: mostly engine updates

UK: used to be mainly focused on SQ42, switched to SC, switched back to SQ42, opened a new location below

wilmslow UK: originally doing pickup mocap, now looking like its handling SQ42

LA USA: high level executive hangout where they can go to elite sex parties (no joke), used to be in a super loving expensive place in Santa Monica, mostly HR/management/execs and artists with a few "high level" programmers

whoops, forgot about CIG austin, supposedly handling networking

current 3rd party confirmed contractors

firesprite, located in liverpool. looking like they might be CI's go-to for help with some sq42 gameplay and primarily console porting

turbulent, located in montreal, looking like they are taking over much of Star Citizen development -- [not confirmed] most likely the ones who helped create most, if not all, the citcon demos we've seen

Wilmslow is Foundry 42 (Sq42), the new UK studio is Derby (Mocap)

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Wilmslow is Foundry 42 (Sq42), the new UK studio is Derby (Mocap)
got those mixed up. jesus christ this poo poo its loving nuts lol

I mean this is from people who follow and laugh at this poo poo, imagine trying to just be like "hmm what is star citizen" and trying to figure out this tangled mess of history, lies, and failures

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 6, 2020

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

Let's all take a moment to contemplate the mental image of Chris, Ben and Jared at an orgy.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheAgent posted:

goin fine

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

got those mixed up. jesus christ this poo poo its loving nuts lol

I mean this is from people who follow and laugh at this poo poo, imagine trying to just be like "hmm what is star citizen" and trying to figure out this tangled mess of history, lies, and failures

New people should just be quiet and buy an Idris imo

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

DigitalPenny posted:

I'd love to see how we need another 36 months goes down with fan base.

Exactly how the last 8 years have gone down - they'll stick around and continue preaching and giving CIG all of their disposable income while also complaining

The ones left at this point are the ones that will pump money into this dumpster fire until they die because that's more likely to happen than this game getting released

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sunswipe posted:

Let's all take a moment to contemplate the mental image of Chris, Ben and Jared at an orgy.

I get stuck once I imagine Ben - there's no room left for the other two.

Also LOL @ "elite" sex party. If Chris Roberts is there, it's not "elite."

Although it may be "dangerous."

:downsrim:

downout
Jul 6, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

As someone who works in civil engineering and is not legally allowed to call myself an engineer until I meet a number of specific criteria, of which a relevant degree is only one part, its a touch annoying that any goober that can write a hello world script can call themselves an engineer. If it was just about video games it wouldn't matter but software is a part of just about everything these days and the fact that there is no regulation or oversight on the professional qualifications of the people writing the code to make cars drive by themselves is troubling. They've already killed a lot of people and the response was "whoops!" and that was the end of it. "Engineer" isn't just a title, its a set of legal requirements and it carries a lot of responsibilities, including potential jail time for gross negligence. None of that applies to software development though, because people in that industry like having the title but don't want any of the professional and legal responsibility that goes along with it. Anyways, a bit of pet peeve of mine considering the amount of work its taken me to get where I'm at now and I still can't put the word "engineer" on my resume.

Software development is a young field and seems like it is still very much the wild wild west atm. It might be more useful to compare the history of civil engineering and consider when the institutions, certifications, and qualifications started to be built out.

How software development is done and how it differs from the older, physical engineering fields is also an important consideration. If devA implements an invalid algorithm, is he grossly negligent, or whoever created the tests, or the project manager who approved the work? Is there an analogous event like this in civil engineering? Also, if you haven't seen it there is the Therac story https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25 which anyone with a CS degree should be familiar with and is a quick read for how it was handled.

Your example of self-driving cars is a good one, but I think more an artifact of our economical and political system that it isn't pursued further. If a bridge collapses and kills people, who would initiate the investigation to find out what happened and if negligence is a cause? Who or why hasn't that been done regarding self-driving car deaths?

I'm all for a better institutions in and around software development (note that much software development does not include complex liabilities like autonomous driving or radiation devices). But much like many things now, the institutions in the US seem far more interested in protecting those most powerful and fortunate than anyone or anything else. And major software companies generally fall into that category.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: What the hell is this?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Fidelitious posted:

No one outside of academic software engineering gives a drat about what your schooling was. It's helpful for your first job but you can get hired with no relevant education at all if you've got publicly available projects of at least reasonable complexity on Github or wherever.
I've gone through a couple hiring cycles on the interviewer side and if you're at least a mid-level software person you could honestly leave your education off the resume, I wouldn't even care. The HR people wouldn't like it though.

But yes, it's not like civil engineering in North America or something where you get your Engineer's/Iron Ring in some pompous ceremony.

They gave me a secret decoder ring and a mask and cape when I became an intelligence analyst.

When I meet another analyst on the street, we outstretch our arms and put our rings together as we exchange Monty Python lines in a traditional greeting.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 7, 2020

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Sunswipe posted:

The only thing you can say for sure is they're all shaved like Olympic swimmers.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

This is so many levels of stupid, but I shall attempt to unpack it

quote:

The AI are "Flawless, it's great, as good as any other AAA game", according to someone

As good as any other game? Isn't Star Citizen AAAA quality?? Please, please start talking about subsumption.

quote:

In Star Citizen the current PU without server meshing has reached the limit that AWS servers can hold - previously everything in the PU was all on one server blade and the server blades did not communicate with each other.

Planning a multi-server project is something that should've been obvious from day one. They've been working on SSOCS and uint46 for literal years now.

quote:

Once the server issues are resolved the AI will be "flawless".

Oh, right. The AI is bound by the limits of an AWS instance. OK. CIG is AI'ing so hard that the AI is bursting at the digital seams.

quote:

The 'Where is Pico' contest was designed to get players to take an object with unique ID all around the playable system, and to have it persist in ships when logged out and back in - which it has.

Imagine, tens of Picos with unique IDs, but totally the same in every way. They're physicalized and cached! Amazing!

Even if this wasn't pointless.. do they really not have a way to do automated testing? Of course they don't, this is CI~G!

quote:

This shows that they have an early version of iCache working since parts the PU are reloaded according to what was on a server when it spun down, and that information in the iCache is used to spin up another server.

Star Citizen now has a database.

quote:

PU is broken into shards where each location is held on a server and you transition between servers out in space away from any landing zone locations, space stations, or moons it happens in real time

:hmmyes: and then the servers can send your data to another server because they can both talk to the database

quote:

Later comes full dynamic server meshing where shards (groups of servers)

CIG will learn to use spot instances. That's why they need the iCache.

quote:

you just can't have servers in Sydney talking in real time to servers in Texas without some lag because it takes time for a signal to travel down the cables and go through each connecting node

If Elon gets Starlink working with near zero lag from one side of the world...

As we all know, the speed of light only applies inside of cables. In space, it's instant because there's nothing for it to wave in. Elon knows this and I wouldn't be surprised if he invests in CIG soon.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Pixelate posted:

An image of Chris, Ben and Jared at an orgy.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Its funny because

SW : Squadrons was announced, now released.

CDPR delayed CP2077, and it has gone gold recently.

We still haven't gotten the the announcement to the teaser of the roadmap to the roadmap of Squadron 42 yet.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mirificus posted:

In Star Citizen the current PU without server meshing has reached the limit that AWS servers can hold - previously everything in the PU was all on one server blade and the server blades did not communicate with each other.

Ignoring that if the game wasn't designed like poo poo, it could handle more players. Its not like this is the theoretical maximums of AWS servers. Lmao.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

It's worth noting that "kappa" is a Twitch-specific emote that can roughly be equated to "LOL", or Jim Halpert turning to give a look at the camera.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Zaphod42 posted:

Ignoring that if the game wasn't designed like poo poo, it could handle more players. Its not like this is the theoretical maximums of AWS servers. Lmao.

There are AWS servers with 8 GPUs, 96 CPUs, 768 GB of memory, and 96GB of GPU memory.

They've maxed out on a server like that with 50 players, apparently.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Grubby Hobo posted:

There are AWS servers with 8 GPUs, 96 CPUs, 768 GB of memory, and 96GB of GPU memory.

They've maxed out on a server like that with 50 players, apparently.

I live near an AWS regional HQ, and most of my neighbors work there. They tell that they’re slaving day and night in concert with the devs at CIG to get the player count above 50. But Star Citizen is so fidelitous that the amount of data on the servers is approaching the Bekenstein bound, and they could collapse into a black hole at any moment if the player count is increased by even 1.

Tony Z is currently plumbing the depths of string theory to develop a new form of physics that can overcome this problem.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 7, 2020

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Funding tracker lost about 1.2 million dollars.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/a-million-and-a-half-of-the-collection-have-disapp

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Chris got another boat

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
So there are 2 other events of the funding spreadsheet tracker reporting either $0 or a loss. The beginning of the tracker has effectively a $0, but that was literally the first day of 3rd party tracking.

1) 2018-09-19, and 2018-09-20: $0 reported by the Funding Tracker Spreadsheet.

What happened on or near that two-day event?

quote:

Forbes reported...
In September 2018, the Roberts Family Trust, with Gardiner as its trustee, purchased a house for $4.7 million in L.A.’s Pacific Palisades neighborhood.

quote:

UK Companies House Reported...
14 Jan 2019 Second filing of Confirmation Statement dated 24/09/2018
11 Dec 2018 Confirmation statement made on 24 September 2018 with updates
Clarification a second filed CS01 (statement of capital change, trading status, and shareholder information change) was registered on 14/01/2019.

2) 2019-11-06: -$22,595 reported by the Funding Tracker Spreadsheet.

What happened on or near that event?

quote:

UK Companies House Reported...
Statement of capital following an allotment of shares on 23 November 2019 - GBP 111.6201
Change of details for Mr Christopher Roberts as a person with significant control on 23 November 2019
---The person holds, directly or indirectly, more than 50% but less than 75% of the shares in the company.
---The person holds, directly or indirectly, more than 50% but less than 75% of the voting rights in the company.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 7, 2020

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheAgent posted:

goin fine

They should change all of those to say Señor instead.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Beef Hardcheese posted:

It's worth noting that "kappa" is a Twitch-specific emote that can roughly be equated to "LOL", or Jim Halpert turning to give a look at the camera.

Thanks. It's also worth noting that "Jim Halpert" is the American version of "Tim Canterbury" as played by Martin Freeman in Ricky Gervais' "The Office".

I had to look up who Jim Halpert was. You're welcome, non-American chums.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I remember back in 2015 how we all joked about this game not coming out in 2015 or 2016. Then the goal post got moved and we laughed at the 2017 release date. Then 2018. Then 2019.

And now, in the year of our lord 2020, when the gtx 6080ti was supposed to come out and be able to maybe play starcitizen at 20fps at 1080p according to shitizens.. the game is still not even 15% done.

Lol.

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

Best drat pencil simulator ever!

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Rotten Red Rod posted:

TheAgent posted:

nope, that was the "omg chris roberts is doing space documentaries" thing, firesprite is a real thing that's been confirmed by bootcha

You're both half right/wrong. It does involve yet another Chris Roberts that is not the same Chris Roberts. They have some funding ties where they appeared in some loan/charge documents together.

The gist is that there are vague mentions that the US group of associated companies (vgdc lienholding llc) has leant money and has some charge over some assets with Icesprite/Firesprite Ltd which is a separate UK company/group of which a different Chris Roberts owns 19% of the parent company.

I don't think anything has been confirmed beyond that of any actual working relationship between them yet. The speculation was that they are helping with a console port of some CIG mess but I believe it's 100% speculation beyond the loan/charge.

Edit:
Also if you consider the name of the US CIG affliliate involved. vgdc lienholding llc, it does tell a story.
vgdc is a acronym that has been used as video game development company and the bfi used it to designate the single company that applies for tax credits.
Icesprite applies for uk tax credits from the scheme.
vgdc lienholding llc leant money to Icesprite and has a lien over some asset they have, possible the tax credit.
It's possibly the US company is just loaning them money they know they are good for via tax credit. It's possible this is just part of their relationship that extends beyond it.

shrach fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Oct 7, 2020

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
oh dear what a clusterfuck, i wont even try to understand this

when will we finally see this “project“ go up in flames, scorched earth style

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bootcha posted:

So there are 2 other events of the funding spreadsheet tracker reporting either $0 or a loss. The beginning of the tracker has effectively a $0, but that was literally the first day of 3rd party tracking.

1) 2018-09-19, and 2018-09-20: $0 reported by the Funding Tracker Spreadsheet.

What happened on or near that two-day event?

2) 2019-11-06: -$22,595 reported by the Funding Tracker Spreadsheet.

What happened on or near that event?

Would they really bother inputing their Hollywood accounting into the tracker? If so, then why? Or are we just seeing a glitch in whatever system that makes it look like not a single hour of the day goes by without someone buying a spaceship?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

I remember a Freelancer preview in an issue of Gamestar where Roberts said you wouldn't control your ship directly but tell your ship's computer which maneuvers to do and better computers would be better and have better maneuvers. Kid me read that and thought "well this poo poo doesn't sound fun".

I suppose that's what ended up becoming the docking and follow buttons at the top of the screen when actual game devs made an actual Freelancer game out of it. Those were pretty cool.

The bear knows nothing about games.

Afaik that was just fluff to justify mouse aim in a space sim

Similar to how war thunder calls its mouse aim an 'instructor'

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Delivery!

https://i.imgur.com/l2IltNT.mp4

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

:ughh: LOL what a shitshow

:gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

I don't know precisely what it is, but it's probably good for Star Citizen :allears: