Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, i'm glad his meandering route to realising people care about him just as much as he cares about them resulted in a powerful super move.

That theme is gonna get shoved in your face for five games straight, so get used to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

Tbf someone with selfesteem issues having difficulty realizing people care about them is pretty true to life. Like having the same realization six times in a row before it sticks sure describes depression

I suppose, but since this was the time it finally clicked you'd expect the scene to be a bit more powerful. Like, Alfin explaining Elise cares about him is fine and all but it doesn't feel as meaningful as various members of Class VII explaining how much they care or Elise explaining that herself (which had happened already a couple of times). The moment just fell flat.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011
You could make a drinking game out of how much the ~Shining Bonds of Class VII~ get reiterated throughout the Cold Steel arc. It's like the <barriers> platitude in the Crossbell games, but more shallow and obvious.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I can't believe somebody made a JRPG where characters bang on about the power of friendship

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think having friends is cool and im glad the good video game agrees

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've played too many games to get annoyed by the power of friendship. Even if Rean's speeches could use some brevity they usually don't deserve worse than an occasional eye-roll.

And I was very happy to meet all my friends again after the prologue so I dunno he's probably right.

Idkbutlike2
Nov 5, 2011

Hwurmp posted:

I can't believe somebody made a JRPG where characters bang on about the power of friendship

You know, you say that, but I'm struggling to think of any game or series that bangs on about it to the extent that CS does. Power of friendship poo poo exists in a ton of JRPGs, but it kind of gets taken for granted in most of them and not constantly discussed and reiterated.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the digimon rpgs

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

King of Solomon posted:

Oath in Felghana if you want another Adol-solo game or Memories of Celceta if you want another party system game.

Last Celebration posted:

If you vibed more with 8’s gameplay then 7 and Celceta, if you’re really liking Origin then Ark of Napitsm and Oath in Felghana, maybe skipping Ark since it’s a little rough.

tyvm

i absolutely loved VIII and also really enjoyed the first two on TG16. Origin is fun, but I ended up liking the small party in VIII more.

Will probably shoot for Felghana next I think.

They need to get M2 to make a Ys compilation or something so I can play all the older ones easily.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Oath isn't the best ys game. it's the best game. i am totally not opinionated about this in any way shape or form

edit: that's actually probably a lie because sky 3rd exists

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Idkbutlike2 posted:

You know, you say that, but I'm struggling to think of any game or series that bangs on about it to the extent that CS does. Power of friendship poo poo exists in a ton of JRPGs, but it kind of gets taken for granted in most of them and not constantly discussed and reiterated.

Tales of Symphonia.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Idkbutlike2 posted:

Persona?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hivac posted:

Oath isn't the best ys game. it's the best game. i am totally not opinionated about this in any way shape or form

edit: that's actually probably a lie because sky 3rd exists

falcom should work with From on a dark souls game

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sky and CB go on about friendship just as much, Rean just makes the best speeches. Tales is all about friendship in every game. Persona beats your head in with the Avatar is special, and his friendship saves lives. Kingdom Hearts *Snicker*. Suikoden's main gimmick is that befriending all the mcguffin bros can literally create miracles such as reviving the dead. Monster partner RPGs such as Digimon and Pokemon are all about friendship, and digimon's least popular anime season is so cuz it removed that aspect. Ni No Kuni is a childrens movie. .Hack G.U is all about Haseo learning to stop being Sasuke and accept that he is Naruto. Atelier is literally just cute groups of friends doing cute things. Luminous Arc is actually deep in the plot a bit, but really, any Game with a Talking Mechanic lives on Friendship.

I can keep going, but I've literally played every RPG series in english, so I can go forever.

I too am waiting impatiently for CS4, I dug up tons of fanart on pixiv again and posting it daily on my social accounts.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Sir Tonk posted:

ys and dark souls are like...the most diametrically opposed action rpgs i can think of. they'd cancel each other out and you'd get a game that does nothing

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

lol the script size would be like 20x that of the entire dark souls series

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

In all honesty if i had to compare oath to another game in terms of general "progression" and the way the game is laid out it would probably actually be cuphead of all things

I should probably play that at some point I'd probably like it for how much of a proverbial boner I have for oath

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Sir Tonk posted:

https://i.vgy.me/USy1U0.webm

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Endorph posted:

Tbf someone with selfesteem issues having difficulty realizing people care about them is pretty true to life. Like having the same realization six times in a row before it sticks sure describes depression

For real. My mind immediately takes a turn every. Single. Time. There are people I have been friends with for years that I still think can't stand me.

It helps Rean that Alfin contextualizes it in regards to Rean's ogre power, too.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Hmm. Do I grab a digital preorder or say fuckit and get the super duper physical edition...

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

BrightWing posted:

Hmm. Do I grab a digital preorder or say fuckit and get the super duper physical edition...

Digital. No time to wait.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Erebonia needs its toilet cleaned. Except this time the whole country is the toilet and the scrubbing brush is more robots and also your classmates.

And a talking cat I guess.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Saoshyant posted:

Digital. No time to wait.

I get nisa orders like 3 days early on average. And this year I'm planning for it rather than getting told my package came days ago and I was not informed. Pretty sure CS4's LE sold out like 3 weeks ago though.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004
I was planning to get the super duper collector until I realized that it looks nothing like the japanese one and that the cover art that won the art contest is the one I find the ugliest. But what really turned me off is the 60 USD shipping charge to Canada.

Digital will be fine.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

MythosDragon posted:

I get nisa orders like 3 days early on average. And this year I'm planning for it rather than getting told my package came days ago and I was not informed. Pretty sure CS4's LE sold out like 3 weeks ago though.

drat. Really want that poster now that I see it. Oh well, digital it is. I'll have the entirety of the CS arc on my PS4!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Death Priest posted:

I was planning to get the super duper collector until I realized that it looks nothing like the japanese one and that the cover art that won the art contest is the one I find the ugliest. But what really turned me off is the 60 USD shipping charge to Canada.

Digital will be fine.

I love LEs and generally buy most of them, but its just a fact that the original Japanese ones are better. I plan to eventually buy the Trails ones from japan when I have surplus cash someday since they don't get scalped as much.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

You can't seem to pre-order the digital version yet, where are you seeing this

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Oh my it's even on sale if you preorder now, might just cancel that physical copy pre-order, USA PSN store. Seems pretty rare that a brand new release would go on sale.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

You sometimes get sexual preorder prices. Full price on the EU PSN though. :(

E: haha wow I wish I'd realised it was a PS+ discount and I don't have that on my US account before I bought US PSN bucks.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 6, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

infraboy posted:

Oh my it's even on sale if you preorder now, might just cancel that physical copy pre-order, USA PSN store. Seems pretty rare that a brand new release would go on sale.

$45? bought.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

infraboy posted:

Hopefully this also means the costume bundles wont total over 40$.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Bummer looks like it was a mistake and they fixed it so it's back up to 59.99 :(

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

You know what bugs me? It bugs me that regular non-magical Panzer Soldats can apparently heal themselves somehow using the power of Bonds.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Tales of Woe posted:

ys and dark souls are like...the most diametrically opposed action rpgs i can think of. they'd cancel each other out and you'd get a game that does nothing

what you dont want dark souls with the music from ys?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

the pacing is completely inappropriate

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

You know what bugs me? It bugs me that regular non-magical Panzer Soldats can apparently heal themselves somehow using the power of Bonds.
theyre just chugging the consumable soldat restoratives, i assume

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
It's the same thing in every RPG ever:

Hit points are an abstraction. 90% of the things that "Hit" you don't actually hit you. "Spirit" is just the pilot regaining some of their focus, either on their own or with their partner's assistance.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Ytlaya posted:

They just alternate Spirit and Charge

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

In Trails of Cold Steel 3, is there a way to disable the left bumper thing that speeds through text without changing the change leader thing for the field? I keep hitting it and missing dialogue :(

Edit: Using an Xbone controller on the PC version if that matters.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Sankis posted:

In Trails of Cold Steel 3, is there a way to disable the left bumper thing that speeds through text without changing the change leader thing for the field? I keep hitting it and missing dialogue :(

Edit: Using an Xbone controller on the PC version if that matters.

Not so far as I know. I had to play the tutorial three times because of the "Skip entire game" button.