Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

7c Nickel posted:

It's not just that NV has fewer random encounters, it has no random encounters. For whatever reason they completely stripped out the random encounter system from 3 except for a small shell that they used for minor faction stuff. Which is a shame because not only is it fun, it can also be used to show the longer term consequences of quests in a fairly organic way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft3B8QHq5cs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What's the best way to play Fallout 1 and 2 these days? Essential mods? I own the original on Steam and "Fallout 2 Classic" on GOG. Anyone get them to work on the latest version of macOS as well?

I really want to finally play a Fallout game and the first 2 look the most interesting to me.

I also have New Vegas, should I play that first? I really don't have experience for old WRPGs so I'm worried the originals may not be that enjoyable.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Oct 6, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Release order is definitely the way to play- 1, 2, New Vegas makes for a decent trilogy. Check this site for tips on mods and etc https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Fallout

The old games definitely take some getting used to, but I found them charming enough to keep me engaged to the point where I "got" the controls

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Definitely play the Restoration Project for Fallout 2. I've heard people say it's not too good for first time players, but I really wouldn't imagine why. Aside from just not fully knowing what's in the original game and what's new.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

If I only played one game out of the 3, which one would you guys recommend?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
1 is my favorite, but if only if you can go back to old games and appreciate them on their level.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I would recommend New Vegas if you only play one

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

1 is fairly compact, and fun. And as a bonus, if you like it you can continue on the story.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

7c Nickel posted:

1 is my favorite, but if only if you can go back to old games and appreciate them on their level.

I definitely can. I'll give 1 a shot then continue if I like it.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Sim Settlements 2 looks incredible. That'll be enough of a motivator to do a Minuteman playthrough.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Fallout 1 is the focused one in my opinion. Fallout 2 kind of spirals out of control into unfinished content, and is basically a sprawling version of the origional with maybe three times the content. I love them both for what they are. You'll enjoy FO2 if you like the first one at all.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

What about Fallout Tactics dudes

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Any tips for getting started in 1 and 2? I've never played any kind of isometric WRPG.

Atheris
Apr 4, 2009

BadLlama posted:

What about Fallout Tactics dudes

I honestly like Tactics a lot, even though it's kind of a mess and always trying way too hard to be funny. It does a decent job filling the squad-level tactical game niche.

It's also kind of funny to compare it to later games like Wasteland 2 and see what it does better, like stopping movement when mines are spotted instead of just running into them. If they'd had a few more months of dev time it could've been a really good game.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Going in blind, you'll want a combat focused character. Also, if you're really stressing where the water chip is and the time limit is looming, just google it, it's not a crazy spoiler compared to the true end game. 99% of these games is knowing what is where and where to meet whom. Don't be afraid to restart and try different routes, because the main games can both be completed in under an hour once you know where the things are. Likewise, the quests are really cool, but you can run like hell and science your way through the game with enough knowlege.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Going in blind, you'll want a combat focused character. Also, if you're really stressing where the water chip is and the time limit is looming, just google it, it's not a crazy spoiler compared to the true end game. 99% of these games is knowing what is where and where to meet whom. Don't be afraid to restart and try different routes, because the main games can both be completed in under an hour once you know where the things are. Likewise, the quests are really cool, but you can run like hell and science your way through the game with enough knowlege.

Would I be okay choosing one of the 3 premade characters or should I make a build?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

From what I remember the prebuilts are trash.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Stupid question but what exe am I suppose to start in 2 after installing the unofficial patch?

EDIT: Holy poo poo, is the laggy mouse cursor movement just the product of it being an old game or something wrong? It’s unplayable like this.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Oct 7, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ToxicAcne posted:

One thing I don't get is how people still think the world design in Fallout 3 is better than FNV. All of the settlements are uninteresting and rinky dink. Most of the map is as empty or even emptier than New Vegas. And navigating downtown DC and the subway is a nightmare. The only way I could think that the world design is better is if all you'd like out of a fallout game is to raid dungeons and kill lots of raiders/mutants.

I'm actually astonished as to how primitive Fallout 3 feels as compared to New Vegas, even if they run on the exact same engine and with the same assets.

which people

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Premade characters are fine. You have plenty of time to find the water chip.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Fallout Tactics isn't canon!!!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SeANMcBAY posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo, is the laggy mouse cursor movement just the product of it being an old game or something wrong? It’s unplayable like this.
I certainly do not remember any mouse-related issues. And it is not quite old enough that we could have played it without a mouse and not noticed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I love fallout tactics!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

antidote posted:

Fallout Tactics isn't canon!!!

Which is why canon talk is dumb.

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

Would I be okay choosing one of the 3 premade characters or should I make a build?

Some general build advice:

Gifted is the most broken trait in the game, giving you +1 to all core stats for a fairly lightweight initial penalty to skills. Which are affected by INT. Which you now have one more of, alongside everything else. Yeah, it's broken.
Conversely, Skilled is extremely bad for the same reasons.

You'll generally want to tag one weapon skill, lockpick and one helper skill. In later games Science can be used as an unlocking skill too but it only gets you a few benefits (albeit interesting ones!) in F1. Small guns is considered a good weapon skill to start with as they are plentiful and shooting things at range is a lot easier than speccing out for a high AP melee build. Stealing can be a fun helper skill because NPCs have a surprising amount of stuff to pickpocket, and you can also reverse pickpocket all sorts of things back onto them. Things like live grenades. Speech is also a fairly good helper skill as you can avoid encounters with certain enemies with a high enough Speech. Barter is fairly mediocre because you end up swimming in caps by the end of the game.

First Aid and Doctor both seem like good skills but again, you'll be swimming in healing items by the end of the game so they don't really pull their weight.

Science and repair both can be used to unlock special lore and some cool weapons, but they're fairly esoteric and probably don't need to be tagged unless you want to RP as a science nerd. They get a lot more use in F2 than in F1.

In F1, Gambling and Outdoorsman are trap skills that you shouldn't invest in. In F2 Outdoorsman has some uses as it decreases the rate of "bad" encounters and increases the rate of "good" encounters. In F1 it does practically jack poo poo. Gambling is always useless.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
For FO1 and FO2, a "diplosniper" setup is very powerful. High mental skills, sniper rifles under small guns, etc. basically take ^^^ and use cha, int, per, agi and the most powerful rifle you can. Power armor eventually makes up the defensive deficit. Unlike FO3 and later, many quests have speech and/or SPECIAL checks for nonviolent resolution, so this gets you a bunch of xp painlessly.

Oh and cha is good for companions, who kinda suck in 1 but are great in 2. Just, never give your sidekicks auto weapons. EVER.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Any general advice for Settlement building in FO4? Preston still hasn't gotten to sanctuary for me, but I would like some idea of general tips (besides scrap all the junk, and get supply lines through local leader).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Either throw down sleeping bags in existing houses or build metal box monstrosities to then put sleeping bags in. No settler cares about how cramped their sleeping bag area is. Put enough turrets and they will never be attacked and plant enough food.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Ashsaber posted:

Any general advice for Settlement building in FO4? Preston still hasn't gotten to sanctuary for me, but I would like some idea of general tips (besides scrap all the junk, and get supply lines through local leader).

If you've played FO4 a little: Get Sim Settlements if you like the building gameplay

If you've played FO4 a lot: Climb the church in Concord, leap across to the vertibird, take the power armor and never deal with Preston's bullshit.

If you've played FO4 too much: Horizon isn't for everybody but it adds a poo poo-ton of settlement functionality, including buildings, missions, mini quests, events. Revamps everything else. Use Sim Settlements to pre-build many of the cities for you, this will take like 15-20 minutes while you hang out in a cellar or something.

If you've got nothing but the robot dlc, be aware you can build robots to work as caravans between settlements

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ashsaber posted:

Build crops for adhesives and, optionally, an insane amount of water purifiers to make water you can sell for money. Nothing else about settlements is interesting or useful

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea if you want to just meet the water/food/happiness/defense quota it's really straightforward. All of the rest is just for channeling your inner Sims player.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Taerkar posted:

Which is why canon talk is dumb.

Meet me on No Mutants Allowed, after school, by the bleachers.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

BMan posted:

Build crops for adhesives and, optionally, an insane amount of water purifiers to make water you can sell for money. Nothing else about settlements is interesting or useful

My three level warehouse where I have eight sets of power armor and dozens of mannequins showing off my collection of every armor set in the game begs to differ.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I built a bullet factory that auto sorts junk into hoppers based on what bullet making materials they contain. A series of switches determine which hoppers feeds the machine. Another switch shuts everything down and gets all excess material to rerun back through the hopper sorters. It is massively over built, over engineered and utterly pointless.. Making it was one of the most fun imes I've had in the game.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

Either throw down sleeping bags in existing houses or build metal box monstrosities to then put sleeping bags in. No settler cares about how cramped their sleeping bag area is. Put enough turrets and they will never be attacked and plant enough food.

Sounds like exactly what I was wondering. Thank you

BMan posted:

Knew I should have specified I knew that, oh well. Never a bad thing to restate that crucial advice.

Thank you all.

E: Quick question, is Incendiary strictly worse than wounding? Got a 10mm with it, but it didn't seem to stack with itself, that I could see.

E2: What is a good setup for a wounding pipe weapon? Just snagged one at the end of my session.

Ashsaber fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 8, 2020

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
can't wait until "Microsoft is making Bethesda weak!" posts from the chud-o-sphere because they are adding in a non-binary character in fo76

(PTS SPOILERS) Thank you Bethesda, you made me cry today and I couldn't' be happier.

some of the comments in there, jesus christ

although I do find the "politics in my fallout??" posts pretty hilarious

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 8, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
One of the only things Bethesda seems to consistently do correctly (and I am sure someone can immediately find a counterexample, such is the way of all Todd) is have progressive politics and not care at all what the authoritarianosphere has to say about it.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Ashsaber posted:

This is for unmodded:

- If you don't want to deal with settlements, build a staircase up to a gigantic wooden box floating in the air and stuffing it with 20 beds in each town.
- When you do The Castle quest, put an artillery cannon up in each of your settlements. Artillery helps with locations where you have to siege against an enemy held up in a building and with large clusters of enemies.
- Get a 2-3 Scavenger stations per settlement. They don't do much in the early game but when you have 10+ settlements doing it you won't have to do anymore scavenging for junk.
- Building the Brahmin Trough will bring in Brahmin which produce fertilizer, which is good for making drugs and allow you to grow vegetables in places with no dirt.
- Build water purifiers and water pumps and bring in an insane amount of water so you will always have lots purified water in your workshop inventory.
- Three crops that you want to focus on mainly are corns, mutfruits and tatos to make vegetable starch for adhesive, which is used in nearly all mods.
- Make sure the Security number in your settlement stats is higher than the other numbers to dissuade attacks on your settlements. Turrets are good but you can assign a single guard up to three guard posts which the guard will then patrol between.
- Since building things gives XP, the most straight forward thing to do is to build nothing but wooden posts and metal toolboxes, since they require the least amount of resources to build, scrap for 50% of their value, and give a ton of XP if you have Idiot Savant tagged.
- If you are playing survival mode, get either chemist level 1 or local leader 2 as fast as possible to either be able to craft antibiotics or assign someone as a doctor in your village.
- Send your NPC's to Home Plate. That way they won't take up a settler pop and you can find them a lot more easily when you want to switch them in and out.
- When making the Institute Teleporter, the three other factions will recommend a place to build it. I found that Home Plate was a better place than what the game recommends since you can gather lots of scrap from Diamond City to build the parts. Plus it saves some space for you to build your floating wooden blocks full of beds in a place that needs it.

That's about it outside of Quest related settlement constructs.

Otherwise, wait for Sim Settlements 2.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 8, 2020

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Is anyone still playing fo76? Have you found the war glaive plan from the daily op and how is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Ashsaber posted:

Sounds like exactly what I was wondering. Thank you

Knew I should have specified I knew that, oh well. Never a bad thing to restate that crucial advice.

Thank you all.

E: Quick question, is Incendiary strictly worse than wounding? Got a 10mm with it, but it didn't seem to stack with itself, that I could see.

E2: What is a good setup for a wounding pipe weapon? Just snagged one at the end of my session.

Survival mode tip: you won't be able to defend settlements due to lack of fast travel. Either ignore them except for a bed and water pump as a safehouse, or do Preston's poo poo up till the castle and then stop. Water farms are fragile, and adhesive needs are overblown (just scavenge or buy shipments)

Incendiary doesn't stack with itself, correct. Which is why an inc minigun is a bad joke.

Assuming .38 pipe, it'll be outclassed by the midgame. Until then automatic with commando is best. The same goes for 10mm, AR, etc

Now if you get a wounding combat shotgun, that's a game ender. My artificer tank, raider start, survival run (until bugs forced me down to very hard) was specced full stealth melee/unarmed until I got lucky with a wounding auto combat shotgun, named it Nora. Pivoted to commando, grabbed the operator perk, sneak ninja, and a suppressor. Guy is the god of close combat now - running around with the shotgun, claws, nuka world modded Rockville Slugger, and a two shot auto radium rifle

I can give a writeup on raider start/survival if anyone wants. It's surprisingly fun - nuka world went without a hitch, but the main game is a crash fest once you get to around east boston.