Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

I. M. Gei posted:

I still don’t know what “gaslit” means

Someone does a thing to hurt you. Then when you confront them they tell you you're making it all up, misremembering, that's not what really happened, etc... It makes you question your sanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

Here's the American Psychological Association definition:

https://dictionary.apa.org/gaslight

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

No you definitely understand it.

haha j/g (just gaslighting)

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Trump chat aside here in Berlin we're having the biggest outbreak since this started, we had a case in our sister company one story above us, and our management increased homeoffice from one day to... Two days a week.

I told my boss that I'm not comfortable with going to work in a packed subway during a huge outbreak while I can work just as well from home and he agreed, but said he doesn't want to make extra allowances for too many people because that'd be unfair. Most of my colleagues are coming in to work as if nothing happened in any case, Monday was full house except for me.

Am I overreacting or am I going crazy by wondering what the gently caress is going on with people that they think this isn't a big deal anymore? I'm relatively young but the more I hear about long term consequences the less I want to infect myself with this, I don't have the best immune system anyway.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I live in Japan and haven't gone into the office since February so you know, gently caress that

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Xenocides posted:

He doesn’t realize there will be a bigger stimulus package if he loses does he?

I just had an image of drugged up Trump realizing the Democrats can give him the stimulus he wants and his neurons coming up with the cunning plan of announcing he is now a Democrat right before the election.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1313664886648582144

Feeling good about that prediction.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Ah just to clarify, I have to come in two days a week still, my extra allowance is 3 days homeoffice.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Oh, and for those not following the Trump threads he has completely lost it tonight. Best Twitter meltdown I have ever seen. Rumors coming out of the White House that the GOP is considering or actually is asking him to resign.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Barudak posted:

I live in Japan and haven't gone into the office since February so you know, gently caress that

I took holidays starting Feb 26 to visit Japan and have been unemployed since

Aside from 3 days in July where I went back after my layoff time ran out and no one was social distancing or wearing masks around me so I quit lol

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Xenocides posted:

Oh, and for those not following the Trump threads he has completely lost it tonight. Best Twitter meltdown I have ever seen. Rumors coming out of the White House that the GOP is considering or actually is asking him to resign.

Which thread?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This is about where it begins: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3940821&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=394&noseen=1

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Xenocides posted:

Even if it turns out to be false, imagining it makes me smile.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'm not sure one tweet from a guy who seems to just make poo poo up counts as rumors coming out of the white house.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Even if it turns out to be false, imagining it makes me smile.

Scarodactyl posted:

I'm not sure one tweet from a guy who seems to just make poo poo up counts as rumors coming out of the white house.

Sorry, I really jumped the gun on that one. His meltdown still had me laughing so hard I was crying. I was probably nearly as high from laughing as the President is on his steroids. It was nice to believe. Can’t wait to see 2020’s next twist.

Ramen Pride!
Jan 13, 2001

Compared to nearly every other country in the world, that's jack poo poo. Even when combined with the last one. And I'm not even factoring healthcare into it. He's throwing tuppence at the masses.

Meanwhile I quit keeping track a couple months ago of how many federal trillions have been thrown at the stock market to keep the "Trump Boom" going. Trillions which promptly go 'poof!'.

We are a very, very, very stupid country and so easy to screw over it's pathetic.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Australia paid out a wage subsidy of something like $1500/fortnight per employee to employers if their turnover collapsed by at least 30%.... I believe they've only recently dropped the rate to $750/fn
They also bumped unemployment by $700/fortnight and paused "mutual obligations" (the need to apply for jobs and poo poo)

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
UK wage subsidies were up to 70% of the wages up to a certain amount IIRC, and while I can't speak for other bosses, I know mine paid the remaining 30%.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

norp posted:

Australia paid out a wage subsidy of something like $1500/fortnight per employee to employers if their turnover collapsed by at least 30%.... I believe they've only recently dropped the rate to $750/fn
They also bumped unemployment by $700/fortnight and paused "mutual obligations" (the need to apply for jobs and poo poo)

In addition to this, individual states are doing their own measures too, like in Victoria you get $450 for staying at home while awaiting test results (usually within 24 hours), and $1500 to stay at home for two weeks if you test positive.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Son of Rodney posted:

Am I overreacting or am I going crazy by wondering what the gently caress is going on with people that they think this isn't a big deal anymore? I'm relatively young but the more I hear about long term consequences the less I want to infect myself with this, I don't have the best immune system anyway.

It's hard to experience being right while everyone else is wrong. I also don't understand why so few people don't seem to care about developing things like heart damage or permanent brain fog

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Son of Rodney posted:

Trump chat aside here in Berlin we're having the biggest outbreak since this started, we had a case in our sister company one story above us, and our management increased homeoffice from one day to... Two days a week.

I told my boss that I'm not comfortable with going to work in a packed subway during a huge outbreak while I can work just as well from home and he agreed, but said he doesn't want to make extra allowances for too many people because that'd be unfair. Most of my colleagues are coming in to work as if nothing happened in any case, Monday was full house except for me.

Berlin is literally doing worse than in the first wave.

Your boss is either ignorant and unaware, an idiot who wants to ignore everything, or a loving afd chud.

And while germany has a low mortality rate because of better treatments and a good system:

1. Nothing loving guarantees that you'll get the good treatment if you're hospitalized in a wave worse than the first.
2. Even if you don't die, there's a really good chance of you being out of work for months, and a decent chance of keeping permanent damage to your body, including stuff that'll make you worse at your job.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Again, the case numbers don’t tell the whole story. Lots more people are being tested now than were in March or April, people who back then would not have been tested, either because they’re mild cases who would have dealt with it at home back then and not gotten tested, or because they’re asymptomatic and only being tested as contacts of known cases, which didn’t happen back then either.
Systematic testing uncovers a lot more cases than sporadic/emergency room only testing, but so long as the hospitals can handle it, it’s not a big deal. What was so bad in the spring was that hospitals were getting overwhelmed, that’s not happening again yet.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1313631894941118465

quote:

"Although not allowed at NIH to utilize his expertise in vaccines or therapeutics, Dr. Bright developed a plan to implement a robust national testing infrastructure, which emphasized the critical need to provide screening tests for asymptomatic individuals and to provide services to underserved populations disproportionately impacted by COVID-19," Bright's attorneys, Debra Katz and Lisa Banks, said in a statement.
"NIH leadership declined to support Dr. Bright's recommendations because of political considerations, plain and simple. After having his work suppressed for political reasons to the detriment of public health and safety, Dr. Bright was sidelined from doing any further work to combat this deadly virus," they said.

:tif:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Again, the case numbers don’t tell the whole story...

All true, but if you look at the case counts and see an exponential-ish curve you should still be seriously worried and looking to reduce transmission.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Again, the case numbers don’t tell the whole story ...

https://twitter.com/BenjAlvarez1/status/1311256865481916422

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Babby’s first quote isn’t edit blunder.

HerStuddMuffin fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 7, 2020

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
And he wouldn’t wait three one more month to see if things were going to get better? He could still have resigned then if not.

E: didn’t even have to wait for January, just the election results.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

HerStuddMuffin posted:

And he wouldn’t wait three more months to see if things were going to get better? He could still have resigned then if not.
assuming he survives catching the virus at work from trump people who refuse to wear masks

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

HerStuddMuffin posted:

And he wouldn’t wait three one more month to see if things were going to get better? He could still have resigned then if not.

E: didn’t even have to wait for January, just the election results.
He won't have trouble getting another job, and he could always come back if an actual sane person winds up in charge of the government. I doubt he could do much of anything right now at the NIH with the political situation.

Zugzwang fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 7, 2020

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Every department is going to need serious purging by the new administration. The best way to make sure you have a job with them is to quit now or they'll just assume you're a patsy.

lmao who am I kidding, the dems will leave everyone in place so nobody can accuse them of being unfair (narrator voice: they will accuse them anyway)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That dog will have to stop dunking on us eventually.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

greazeball posted:

Every department is going to need serious purging by the new administration. The best way to make sure you have a job with them is to quit now or they'll just assume you're a patsy.

lmao who am I kidding, the dems will leave everyone in place so nobody can accuse them of being unfair (narrator voice: they will accuse them anyway)

Trump has probably fired more Bush Jr. hanger-ons than Obama, lol.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Xenocides posted:

Hahah no, they arent.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

coronavirus posted:

Hahah no, they arent.

Yeah GOP know the election is already over, they're stripping the place for copper pipes and hoping to hold onto their senate majority.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

greazeball posted:

My fear is every presidential admin from now on will purge as much of the bureaucracy as possible, making effective governance impossible because nobody in government will know how anything works operationally.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
has anybody worked as a contact tracer

my state's health department is offering a $20/hr straight 40 hours a week, work from home set up for 6 months. no benefits but i'm thinking of doing this.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

7of7 posted:

My fear is every presidential admin from now on will purge as much of the bureaucracy as possible, making effective governance impossible because nobody in government will know how anything works operationally.

the sad truth is that trump already started this and now the Ds better loving sort poo poo out or we're stuck with people who know how things work operationally but are only interested in tearing poo poo down

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

20 Blunts posted:

my state's health department is offering a $20/hr straight 40 hours a week, work from home set up for 6 months. no benefits but i'm thinking of doing this.

Yes, I'm currently working as one. Do you have any particular concerns/questions about doing it? You can pm me also if you prefer

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 7, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

20 Blunts posted:

My mother in law quit her job as an in home health aid (she lost too much work with covid to keep doing it) to do contact tracing. My wife's friend is in a similar situation. They both seem to think it's a pretty good gig. Long term prospects aren't great but if covid has already attenuated/destroyed your income it seems like a good way to go.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yes, I'm currently working as one. Do you have any particular concerns/questions about doing it? You can pm me also if you prefer

hmph. i don't have PMs but thought gently caress it time for a plat upgrade, i can't get it to work though, are payments not being taken right now because of lowtax poo poo?

i basically started working with the company im at when i was 20 and now im in my late 20s and ready to move on. i started as a hired hand and then took over the office duties for about 5 years now. Im in an industry that kind of straddles what you would call "unskilled" and "skilled" labor. I'm the management side of that, and so my gig is kind of cushy but getting stale. So I'm just stuck with a single bullet point on my resume, other than 18 years old working at sears...My bachelor's degree is in philosophy from a pretty respected state school.

I have excellent phone skills and organization, definitely have hosed with some management software and I might be able to work tech support at Quickbooks at this point. I juggled business side poo poo and also the owner's personal affairs so I'm good with sorting out problems. I think this 6 month job sounds like a good regrouping period for me doing something that is pretty drat important. I don't think the technical side of it really intimidates me much.

And honestly I'm a bit of a boomer whisperer so I think they might just need my services. Like 2/3 of my clients right now are homeowning boomers, they go from 0-60 getting pissed about minuscule poo poo all the time, but i've honed some strategies to reel em in over the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I dont have any experience with it, but it also has the benefit of being, you know, a net benefit for society. So by that measure it's probably a pretty good gig.