Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

a Loving Dog posted:

lol egyptians are involved at the highest levels of this poo poo, does she think they have to ask white people's permission to dig up the mummy or something? or does she think egyptians are white?

https://twitter.com/kwethu95/status/1313396802796875776?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

oh this one also rocks and is incredibly good

https://twitter.com/apollioxx/status/1313274035128676353?s=21

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

a fatguy baldspot posted:

oh this one also rocks and is incredibly good

https://twitter.com/apollioxx/status/1313274035128676353?s=21

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

That has to be fake. It’s “if colleges aren’t biased against conservatives, why do they get lower grandes?”-level oblivious.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Buzzyourgirlfriendwoof.gif

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IĂŤÂ̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓gĂŤÂ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

gently caress yes lmao

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!
lol

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

im the wall of action figures

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

They mess with ancient dead bodies all over the world.

They go in the tombs as well.

Sometimes they find all kinds of stuff.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

incredible

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

They just found and started excavating a Saxon tomb

And it's not just bodies and gold they're digging for.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
tremendous usage of the "yeah, but still..." technique by the lady with the woke take on mummies https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1313526570313605121

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Archaeologists really close to answering the age old question of "at what moment does it stop being grave robbing?"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

little munchkin posted:

tremendous usage of the "yeah, but still..." technique by the lady with the woke take on mummies https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1313526570313605121

things archaeologists totally hate doing: digging up barrow mounds in europe

non-white tombs only

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A close friend is a doctor of anthropology and tbh it seems like a lot of western white "scientific" study has included inappropriately digging up (and, you know, desecrating etc.) the bodies of other cultures without the consent of their descendants, right into the present day. The tweet might have been a misplaced take, but I don't think it's that far off base in the anger they're reflecting.

Doing it to white cultures too doesn't really detract from the issue when a lot of places are still hosed by colonialism and trying to deal with that.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Martman posted:

A close friend is a doctor of anthropology and tbh it seems like a lot of western white "scientific" study has included inappropriately digging up (and, you know, desecrating etc.) the bodies of other cultures without the consent of their descendants, right into the present day. The tweet might have been a misplaced take, but I don't think it's that far off base in the anger they're reflecting.

Doing it to white cultures too doesn't really detract from the issue when a lot of places are still hosed by colonialism and trying to deal with that.

i don't think anyone is arguing against this, we're just laughing at how this lady got mad at a video that is in no way an example of the thing she's mad about, and her stoic perseverance after having that pointed out to her

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Martman posted:

Thank you for articulating this. I felt kinda icky reading people making fun of this lady, but I was worried about writing an effort-post just for it to get picked apart.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

," oh poo poo my bad, (insert post about archaeology as grave robbing here)" might have been a better response that might have helped and educated like the above post did rather than double down

but gently caress what do I know, this is the internet and Im just a white dude on the internet who thinks all corpses are trash unless theyre scientificly relevant.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Okay but what does she mean about finally letting the mummies rest? What does she know that I don’t know?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I mean, it’s still kind of exploitation because that Zahi Hawass guy who’s in charge of digging poo poo up in Egypt and who’s had his face in every documentary for the last 25 years answers to the ministry of tourism or some poo poo. It’s still basically rich people robbing graves and not giving a poo poo about what will help the people or the country that they’re exploiting to do it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I feel like increasing tourism will help the people of the country

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Okay but what does she mean about finally letting the mummies rest? What does she know that I don’t know?

The ancient Egyptians were right all along! HAIL SOBEK!

indigi posted:

Because capitalism ensures resources are distributed equitably?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I guess a lot of it depends on how the tourists spend their money—that is a good point. I still feel like seeing the priceless heritage of your culture and your people as a tool for bringing money into your country is not particularly respectful of it, albeit not on the level of English graverobbers snapping off Tutankhamun’s dick and taking it with them as a joke.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
After I die anyone finds out where I’m buried I hereby give my okay to do whatevs to my body as long as it’s legitimately funny.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

indigi posted:

We just, as a species, ran out of tourism though.

edit: This reads like I'm trying to do a gotcha but i... aint

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I guess a lot of it depends on how the tourists spend their money—that is a good point. I still feel like seeing the priceless heritage of your culture and your people as a tool for bringing money into your country is not particularly respectful of it, albeit not on the level of English graverobbers snapping off Tutankhamun’s dick and taking it with them as a joke.

I mean they are still gaining priceless knowledge as well, aside from all the tourist nonsense. I wish it were divorced from capitalist profit motives but I think learning about one of the earliest human civilizations is pretty good

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The tweet is dumb but archeologists absolutely exploit hierarchical colonial ties between countries or just the fact some countries are economically forced to sell permits for pennies. Abolish the British museum too

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/GreenWordOutlaw/status/1313686834875166722

dunno about you guys, but i'm feeling super owned

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

He should go for it. Might keep him from being able to blow his brains out when Trump loses.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
So hey, this sounds not good.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/executive-order-combating-race-sex-stereotyping/

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

please knock Mom! posted:

The tweet is dumb but archeologists absolutely exploit hierarchical colonial ties between countries or just the fact some countries are economically forced to sell permits for pennies. Abolish the British museum too

The various other museums in the UK are making progress on this, either by returning items or arranging some kind of payment (monetary or exhibit exchange) to keep them as a 'loan' from the country of origin. The British museum however wants to only loan out its exhibits but legally still retain ownership.

There was an article in the telegraph (up market right-wing paper) which tried to make the argument that giving this stuff back would be "denying Britain's history" like some kind of reverse double woke principle "if we don't keep the stolen stuff people won't know we stole it, which is bad!" because for some reason the only way to teach about British colonial past is through displaying the spoils.

Mega Comrade has issued a correction as of 10:13 on Oct 7, 2020

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

'Not everything was looted': British Museum to fight critics

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/oct/12/collected-histories-not-everything-was-looted-british-museum-defends-collections

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

corporate sensitivity training has been a disaster anyway. I think (lol if you can read this piece of poo poo) this is cutting tax benefits for doing these types of training.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

miniscule12 posted:

corporate sensitivity training has been a disaster anyway. I think (lol if you can read this piece of poo poo) this is cutting tax benefits for doing these types of training.

The problem I'm seeing is that the whole thing is just screaming about how America's legacy of racism and bigotry are a myth. And they invoke civil rights leaders to whine about the plight of cishet white men. It's got gently caress all to do with lovely sensitivity training. It's a blatant piece of fascist propaganda.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just read the whole thing and I can’t find criteria for determining what’s forbidden or a process for reviewing decisions.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

But on the other hand, "finders keepers, shut up!"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x73PkUvArJY

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mega Comrade posted:

The various other museums in the UK are making progress on this, either by returning items or arranging some kind of payment (monetary or exhibit exchange) to keep them as a 'loan' from the country of origin. The British museum however wants to only loan out its exhibits but legally still retain ownership.

There was an article in the telegraph (up market right-wing paper) which tried to make the argument that giving this stuff back would be "denying Britain's history" like some kind of reverse double woke principle "if we don't keep the stolen stuff people won't know we stole it, which is bad!" because for some reason the only way to teach about British colonial past is through displaying the spoils.

Yeah, which is why I'm confused at the responses this tweet is getting ITT. The author speaks up in a dumb way but the core idea is absolutely right and it's ridiculous the BM still just exhibits looted stuff

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

That doesn't seem to be her point though. She doesn't seem to mention repatriation anywhere, Her point seems to be that we should let the people buried in these tombs rest in peace, that they shouldn't be explored and excavated and we only do it because "white people say we should".

If Egypt want to excavate Egyptian tombs to put the artifacts into Egyptian museums then it's their right.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Edit
Screw you app

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I mean, it’s still kind of exploitation because that Zahi Hawass guy who’s in charge of digging poo poo up in Egypt and who’s had his face in every documentary for the last 25 years answers to the ministry of tourism or some poo poo. It’s still basically rich people robbing graves and not giving a poo poo about what will help the people or the country that they’re exploiting to do it.

they’re robbing graves of even richer people proportionally so who cares!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

[trying to outwoke the dumb twitter lady] uhh we should desecrate the graves of all slaveowners actually