Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think Fireball has explicitly lacked concussive force in its "detonation" for editions now and we all just impart that to it because fiery explosions are cooler than fiery eruptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SuperKlaus posted:

I think Fireball has explicitly lacked concussive force in its "detonation" for editions now and we all just impart that to it because fiery explosions are cooler than fiery eruptions.

How does the Fireball do damage, if it somehow doesnt even knock over glasses, or set Exploding barrels on fire?

I mean...obviously the answer is "Magic" but

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

SuperKlaus posted:

Doesn't Meteor Swarm do bludgeoning/force damage? I wish fireball actually did damage to perishables, though. At least they get ignited, so that setting off a fireball in a wooden cottage will still eventually burn it down.

Poil posted:

It is also hilariously broken and pointlessly overcomplicated, like so much else Shadowrun.

Shadowrun has the highest ratio to "oh poo poo all of these ideas are rad!" to "oh poo poo these rules are a mess!" of any pnp I've played.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Poil posted:

It is also hilariously broken and pointlessly overcomplicated, like so much else Shadowrun. You have to roll and calculate the blast radius, bounce it off a surface, then back the distance to the opposite surface, bounce it back again etc for the entire blast range and calculate the damage on each pass and then do that for all eight directions. Just imagine a grenade with 10m radius going off in the middle of a 2m wide and 2.5m high corridor (only 6 directions). The end result is tons and tons more damage than any character can soak so splat. Hell if the ruling applies to flashbangs they would instagib the beefiest of trolls into a fine paste. Oh and I almost forgot, you also need to make barrier armor and soak rolls for the walls, floor, ceiling of course.

I'm really disappointed they didn't do a 6th edition. The rules could use some love and care by at least somewhat competent developers.

Shadowrun's rules are so terrible that when my group decided to play it my reaction was to create an entirely new system to run it because that would be less work.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah that's very possible. I've been in a game where the DM had converted another system into SR, it was ok except it couldn't handle anything other than human characters at all (a troll could throw rocks several kilometers at almost no penalty).

habeasdorkus posted:

Shadowrun has the highest ratio to "oh poo poo all of these ideas are rad!" to "oh poo poo these rules are a mess!" of any pnp I've played.
Which is a shame because the rad ideas are really rad.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I believe in the old days (I mean AD&D, I'm not quite THAT old) Fireball expressly stated it did not explode, but I do not think in the old days it expressly stated it wouldn't light flammables on fire. That might be a 3e-ism. I believe the idea in 2e was that it was a spell to make an area get extremely, uniformly hot for a moment (no expansion from a central point) and please don't worry about the physics of it thanks. Kind of a Flame Strike. I don't have my 2e PHB handy to check.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Yeah, it's just that if you start thinking too hard you arrive at absurdities, like that you could literally hang a curtain made of paper in front of yourself to protect yourself from a fireball.

Person A: Just around a corner of a 10 ft thick stone wall. Hit
Person B: Standing in the middle of a waterfall of gasoline: not hit.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
loving magic, not behaving rationally and all. "Look at me, I'm a wizard, I cast spells that make no sense at all! The way in which I disrupt and bypass the natural order does not follow the laws of physics!"

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Cat Mattress posted:

loving magic, not behaving rationally and all. "Look at me, I'm a wizard, I cast spells that make no sense at all! The way in which I disrupt and bypass the natural order does not follow the laws of physics!"

My favorite interpretation of magic is like a distributed trickster god that does what it wants not what you want. It only obeys the apparent laws of magic because it feels like it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

When I roll around on the floor it doesn't put the magical fire out :argh:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

SuperKlaus posted:

I believe in the old days (I mean AD&D, I'm not quite THAT old) Fireball expressly stated it did not explode, but I do not think in the old days it expressly stated it wouldn't light flammables on fire. That might be a 3e-ism. I believe the idea in 2e was that it was a spell to make an area get extremely, uniformly hot for a moment (no expansion from a central point) and please don't worry about the physics of it thanks. Kind of a Flame Strike. I don't have my 2e PHB handy to check.

I do. Hang on a sec.

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Player's Handbook (Second Printing, May 1995) posted:

A fireball is an explosive burst of flame, which detonates with a low roar and delivers damage proportional to the level of the wizard who cast it - 1d6 points of damage for each level of experience of the spellcaster (up to a maximum of 10d6). The burst of the fireball creates little pressure and generally conforms to the shape of the area in which it occurs. The fireball fills an area equal to its normal spherical volume (roughly 33,000 cubic feet - thirty-three 10-foot x 10-foot x 10-foot cubes). Besides causing damage to creatures, the fireball ignites all combustible materials within its burst radius, and the heat of the fireball melts soft metals such as gold, copper, silver, etc. Exposed items require saving throws vs. magical fire to determine if they are affected, but items in the possession of a creature that rolls a successful saving throw are unaffected by the fireball.
The wizard points his finger and speaks the range (distance and height) at which the fireball is to burst. A streak flashes from the pointing digit and, unless it impacts upon a material body or solid barrier prior to attaining the prescribed range, blossoms into the fireball (an early impact results in an early detonation). Creatures failing their saving throws each suffer full damage from the blast. Those who roll successful saving throws manage to dodge, fall flat, or roll aside, each receiving half damage (the DM rolls the damage and each affected creature suffers either full damage or half damage [round fractions down], depending on whether the creature saved or not).
The material component of this spell is a tiny ball of bat guano and sulphur.

So it does explode, but the pressure released is not significant enough to do damage in addition to the damage the fire causes. It will also set everything flammable in the area on fire, and will also explode prematurely if something interrupts its trajectory towards its designated target point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fire can do damage without being concussive, and a concussive explosion doesn't need to be firey. Hollywood has lied to you.

A lot of clarifications about spells sound like they're Wizards of the Coast yelling "stop having fun" at players constructing weird magical nonsense out of default spells, although I wonder if that specifically was some rear end in a top hat arguing that fireball is an explosion and therefore exempt from protection from fire.

I wonder if there's a roleplay system where players have to construct spells from scratch out of base elements, because I've seen online a lot of people who want to do complex things with creative uses of spells and real-world physics, and D&D seems not intended for that form of gameplay.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
3.5 D&D has that once you hit level 20.

It was... poorly implemented.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ikanreed posted:

3.5 D&D has that once you hit level 20.

It was... poorly implemented.

It does provide a nice storytelling hook, though, for epic NPC casters. Things like Cloister, Familicide, etc. Xykon's primary epic spell, Superb Dispelling, speaks to his general anti-wizard build, so it's thematically relevant even though it's a stock epic spell.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Poil posted:

I'm really disappointed they didn't do a 6th edition. The rules could use some love and care by at least somewhat competent developers.
As written, doesn't the new rules allow mages to increase the diameter of their spell and their automatic damage up to infinite and just accept that they will die when they destroy half the solar system in one giant fireball spell? That and other weird choice like the return of ammo by size where everyone had universal price for ammo regardless of size and having to detag your bullets for electronic marking because everyone like tedious rolls over tedious poo poo. Tons of weird weak changes in 6e.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if there's a roleplay system where players have to construct spells from scratch out of base elements, because I've seen online a lot of people who want to do complex things with creative uses of spells and real-world physics, and D&D seems not intended for that form of gameplay.

I think it'd be more the province of something like Mage: the Ascension. Get a party from the technocratic conventions, or at least the borderline-technomancer traditions (Order of Hermes, Sons of Ether, Virtual Adept) and you're ready to get a lot of this kind of nerdery.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I think a lot of DND stuff is “ hey what sounds cool?” And not much is thought about it.
Like, the melting point of copper is 1084 Celsius and 1983 F.

Like, it also depends on if it means. “ deforms” or “ is a puddle of molten metal”.

So to have copper/gold melt from a fireball in a. Open room and not in a forge, requires

Goddamn I’m not even going to pretend that I even know where’ to start on the physics

Yes, I know it’s magic, but I prefer Magic, while capable of bending and breaking the Laws of physics, Sill exists and manipulates said laws.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

SlothfulCobra posted:

Ars Magica is very much about that - even more than its more popular descendant Mage: The Ascension.

wikipedia posted:

The centerpiece of Ars Magica is the system of Hermetic Magic devised by Bonisagus. It consists of 15 Arts, divided into 5 Techniques and 10 Forms. This is sometimes called a "Verb/Noun" system: the Technique is the verb (what effect the magic has), and the Form is the noun (the entity, object or substance that is affected or brought forth). These 'verb-noun' combinations can be used to cast both Formulaic spells (which are recorded in texts, are learned through study and mastered through experience, and have known, fixed effects) and Spontaneous spells (which a caster improvises with no prior knowledge other than the Arts themselves, giving the potential results greater flexibility but lower potency). Every apprentice (with a few Ex Miscellanea exceptions) is "opened" in all 15 Arts before fully joining the Order; each Art begins with a Score of 0 and a mage may usually only increase one of them during a season (see below).

Each Technique is named by a first-person singular present tense indicative Latin verb:

Creo ("I create") brings objects and substances into existence from nothing, or makes an already-existing target a "more perfect" version of itself (e.g. healing magic, as healed bodies are nearer perfection than wounded bodies).
Intellego ("I perceive") detects or reveals, enhances a target's natural senses or conveys supernatural ones.
Muto ("I transform") alters the nature of a being, object or substance, adding unnatural traits and/or removing natural ones.
Perdo ("I destroy") decays, disintegrates or otherwise diminishes the target, making something a worse example of its kind (i.e. the opposite of Creo).
Rego ("I control") involves manipulation of the target in any way that does not alter its nature, e.g. direct a target's movement, put a creature to sleep, or force a tree to bear fruit out of season. This is the main Technique used in spells of protection or 'warding'.

Each Form is named by a singular accusative Latin noun:

Animal affects "all natural living things that are not plants or humans, doing to animals what Mentem and Corpus spells do to people" as well as "things made with animal products" such as leather, wool, cheese, silk, etc. Since bacteria were unknown in medieval times, illness (e.g.) was considered either a form of possession or an imbalance of 'bodily humors'; thus, magic dealing with disease is relegated variously to Creo, Mentem and/or Vim effects.
Auram affects lightning, wind and gaseous substances; other weather effects typically require an Aquam requisite (see below).
Aquam is used for any liquid, with the exception of blood (which requires Animal or Corpus magic to affect); non-liquid forms of water will involve requisites (see below).
Corpus (the incorrect declension Corporem was used in older editions) applies to the human body, making it crucial to longevity formulas.
Herbam primarily involves plants, but applies equally to any organic matter, living or dead, that is not of animal origin.
Ignem involves light and heat, and is heavily represented in the fire spells of House Flambeau.
Imaginem (previously Imagonem) deals with images, sounds, and other sensory stimuli (thus is involved in most illusionary effects).
Mentem deals with emotions, memories, thoughts and spirits.
Terram involves earth and minerals: mere soil is the simplest target, while stone, metal and gems require progressively greater investment of spell levels to achieve the same effect.
Vim ("power") involves magic itself, as well as demons (the overlap is not widely understood, but the fact that there is one is a significant obstacle to the Order's 'public relations', particularly concerning the Church).

A mage's skill when casting a spell is the sum of their scores in the appropriate technique and form.

It's the RPG I've always wanted to run, but it's kind of the opposite of a one-shot game - it's all about a stable group of players alternating roles and growing their home base over the in-game decades.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I used to play mage with ars magicka spells, worked really well.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If only there was some sort of person in charge of a game - a "Game Master", if you will - who could make on the spot rulings instead of having to strictly apply RAW even when nonsensical results happen. Oh well!

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So we all agree this is 100% going to be the door they need now, right?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Like a DM is not going to let someone cobble together Locate City: Bomb on the fly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wonder if there's a roleplay system where players have to construct spells from scratch out of base elements, because I've seen online a lot of people who want to do complex things with creative uses of spells and real-world physics,

Unknown Armies lets you completely make poo poo up provided there's a thematic/symbolic justification for it. It's like Tim Powers Novels: The RPG.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 6, 2020

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Eifert Posting posted:

We have spent several pages disagreeing about this

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

ikanreed posted:

We have spent several pages disagreeing about this

Wow, apparently half of y'all are real dumb.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Johnny Aztec posted:

I think a lot of DND stuff is “ hey what sounds cool?” And not much is thought about it.
Like, the melting point of copper is 1084 Celsius and 1983 F.

Like, it also depends on if it means. “ deforms” or “ is a puddle of molten metal”.

So to have copper/gold melt from a fireball in a. Open room and not in a forge, requires

Goddamn I’m not even going to pretend that I even know where’ to start on the physics

Yes, I know it’s magic, but I prefer Magic, while capable of bending and breaking the Laws of physics, Sill exists and manipulates said laws.

Nah, it's cooler that it's bullshit otherwise all you have is just casters doing everythign and I prefer it when she is like "The fighter blinks 30 ft forward by sheer speed and ignites their blade in freezing fire through sheer force of will and determination" instead of having to haggle over the physics of bullshit fantasy stories.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

cargohills posted:

If only there was some sort of person in charge of a game - a "Game Master", if you will - who could make on the spot rulings instead of having to strictly apply RAW even when nonsensical results happen. Oh well!

if only it was possible to write a game that didn't systematically prompt the gm to only make the stupidest and most fiddly calls based on 40 years of cruft and gaming formats that no longer exist in the wild, rather than writing a story

and speaking of story they are absolutely finding out the sabotage here, but whoever said it was even odds of blaming monster or thinking dwarves did it is probably approximating rightness. there are probably also even odds of it being The Door

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Eifert Posting posted:

Wow, apparently half of y'all are real dumb.

I sarcastically agree, implying it is actually the other half that are the dumb ones.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
Door leads to the world inside the snarl. Xykon and co pass through a bunch of coats, then trees, and then come to a lamp post. The question of who marked it gets dropped as soon as the faun attacks.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Can Durkon and Minrah hear or in any way perceive what's being said and done above them while they're in the ground?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

jeebus bob posted:

Can Durkon and Minrah hear or in any way perceive what's being said and done above them while they're in the ground?

Yes, Hearing's allowed by 3.5e's Meld into Stone Spell.

"Nothing that goes on outside the stone can be seen, but the character can still hear what happens around the character."

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Eifert Posting posted:

It's possible, but I feel like it's a bit too early for them to find the gate.

Why? Because as the stage is currently set, there's no reason for the Order to follow Xykon through that door. They're not going to charge in blind after the baddies without a compelling reason, and they currently have no reason to think the gate might be behind that door.

This is definitely going to be a fake-X door, which will stir discord and distrust in the members of Team Xykon and leave them beat-up and pissed as hell, but I'm guessing it's also going to pull them off-stage long enough for Team Roy to poke around the area looking for clues and accidentally run into our mysterious third group.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, there’s been a running theme of intra-Evil conflict through the whole comic. That all coming to a head right now, just before the end, is probably the best time for it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Vizuyos posted:

It's possible, but I feel like it's a bit too early for them to find the gate.

Why? Because as the stage is currently set, there's no reason for the Order to follow Xykon through that door. They're not going to charge in blind after the baddies without a compelling reason, and they currently have no reason to think the gate might be behind that door.

This is definitely going to be a fake-X door, which will stir discord and distrust in the members of Team Xykon and leave them beat-up and pissed as hell, but I'm guessing it's also going to pull them off-stage long enough for Team Roy to poke around the area looking for clues and accidentally run into our mysterious third group.

that's a good point, it's a plausible reason for them to be offstage for a while and also a plausible reason for them not to optimally hunt out and kill the OOTS (since zykon is sick of redcloak and just wants to blow stuff up). We've had a good meaty first encounter, so it's a good time to get the group back together. Roy is going to be so, so mad.

Of course that's not to say that's how it's gonna happen, my guesses around this are always woefully wrong.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's gonna be a big confrontation between Roy and Durkon, but Durkon's going to win by pointing out that there are cosmic stakes.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Take a look at 1150 again. The part at the end where Durkon calls out the rest of the party feels like just an end-of-strip joke, but before he got vamped there's no way Durkon would've done that. He was always completely passive and just supporting the rest of the group, but I'm taking this as an early sign that he's prepared to be forceful now when appropriate. And since he has direct orders from Thor, there will be a lot of appropriate moments.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Forgot how good "In my defense, I am not very smart" was.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ultrafilter posted:

Take a look at 1150 again. The part at the end where Durkon calls out the rest of the party feels like just an end-of-strip joke, but before he got vamped there's no way Durkon would've done that. He was always completely passive and just supporting the rest of the group, but I'm taking this as an early sign that he's prepared to be forceful now when appropriate. And since he has direct orders from Thor, there will be a lot of appropriate moments.

The problem is this first time he tried it, it was a complete unmitigated disaster he apparently had no good out for.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The problem is this first time he tried it, it was a complete unmitigated disaster he apparently had no good out for.

classic oots

1151 is also a good strip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sebmojo posted:

classic oots

1151 is also a good strip

Honestly, Belkar might be one of my favorite characters just because of the roundabout, awkward path he's taken to becoming, if not a good person, then at least a normal, reasonable one. "Munchkin has to learn how to roleplay" is a pretty great character arc.