Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If they could actually go and do this thing and make it official I could start sorting out my smaller wedding and get ready for how weird this might make work tomorrow.

It's easy to see all these half measures having knock on effects down the road though. Dublin in level 3 feels like it came too late, this just 2 weeks later is at a much lower level than suggested. Where the hell will things be in 2 more weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Far, far worse. I was dreading a level 4 for the country considering NPHET aimed for 5. I'm guessing we might see a crazy spike and get pushed further up for Halloween.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

As far as I can tell, localised lockdowns have had little or no impact on keeping the rate of infection down. The only sensible thing to do is a full lockdown again. Followed by an election. These blithering incompetents have gotten enough people killed already.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Leo really tore into NPHET on Claire Byrne live last night.

Seems like the government is a shambles behind the scenes. Leo saying NPHET disagree with HSE and government. Called the CMO as not thinking things through.

And then Donnelly contradicting Leo by saying there’s no animosity between gov and NPHET.

I think this will come back to bite them in a few weeks times.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Leo did a great job sticking it to those ivory-tower doctors who've never drawn the dole in their life.

Unlike Leo, a hard man of the people who came up from the streets the hard way

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Henry Hill: [narrating] You know, we always called each other good fellas. Like you said to, uh, somebody, "You're gonna like this guy. He's all right. He's a good fella. He's one of us." You understand? We were good fellas. Wiseguys. But Michael and Leo could never be made because we had Irish blood. It didn't even matter that Leo’s dad was a Doctor. To become a member of a crew you've got to be one hundred per cent Physician so they can trace all your relatives back to the old college. See, it's the highest honor they can give you. It means you belong to a family and crew. It means that nobody can gently caress around with you. It also means you could gently caress around with anybody just as long as they aren't also a member. It's like a license to steal. It's a license to do anything. As far as Leo was concerned with Tony Hoolihan being made, it was like we were all being made. We would now have one of our own as a member.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I still can't beleive there hasn't been extra Garda powers given this whole time. There's been a lot of talk about it but somehow either government doesn't seem to have gotten around to pushing them. You think they would want something help increase compliance with whichever new rule is in this week.

I know perhaps you don't want to arrest everyone who is out breaking rules, and maybe introducing someone who has been unsafe to a prison population or even a local station is probably asking for trouble but Jesus Christ why can't they fine people for having those 69 person clown car house parties?? Subsidise the fuckin PUP with FINES, gently caress it.

Dublin spent 3 weeks leaking. We had 2 gross crustpunk girls in from Rathmines yesterday who my boss booked cos while she'll ask where someone is travelling from she can't quite get to the confrontation part. And they booked with her last week in person (they also wanted me to pierce somewhere under their masks so I lied and said I was busy). We've had business from all over South Dublin, we've had people with the good sense to call and delay their poo poo too thankfully.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'd say with extra powers for the Guards they're worried about ending up toothless. If they don't get the balance of the legislation bang on, someone will bring a constitutional challenge, it'll be delayed or struck down, and every nutbag in the country would run wild.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Giving the fuzz more powers is always a bad idea. They admitted they don't need them yesterday when they said that someone breaking the covid restrictions is probably breaking other laws and they'll arrest them under that pretense. I. E. If they want to arrest you they will. It has ever been thus.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
As pointed out on Twitter, the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990, Section 9, Parts 5 and 6 basically lets cops arrest you for possession with intent to use a phone as a weapon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could also end up like your idiot eastern neighbours and have the government just make more things illegal whenever they feel like it. I would take the ineffective cops, personally.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We're in the moral quandry of "ACAB but also there are nazis". 2020 is poo poo.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Arquinsiel posted:

We're in the moral quandry of "ACAB but also they are nazis". 2020 is poo poo.

Fixed that for you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's okay, the UK just confirmed it's legal for the security services to break all laws, which has historically never caused any problems for Ireland.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're really angling to earn back the old nickname eh?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arquinsiel posted:

They're really angling to earn back the old nickname eh?

Cunts? We never stopped using it

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"Perfidious Albion" went out of style around August 1914.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's okay, the UK just confirmed it's legal for the security services to break all laws, which has historically never caused any problems for Ireland.

And amazingly, the legal crisis before this was the UK saying “sure we’ll just break international law.”

Be afraid for whatever comes next.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mrenda posted:

I'd say with extra powers for the Guards they're worried about ending up toothless. If they don't get the balance of the legislation bang on, someone will bring a constitutional challenge, it'll be delayed or struck down, and every nutbag in the country would run wild.

Defo, 100%. Whole thing has me torn

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

And amazingly, the legal crisis before this was the UK saying “sure we’ll just break international law.”

Be afraid for whatever comes next.
This is the main reason I care about Biden winning in the US, at least he's outright said there'll be consequences if the Dominic Cummings Brain Sphere thinks it'd be a great idea to put trigger happy dickheads on border posts to check trucks, or rob SF offices, or whatever else they're thinking of doing by saying "our guys can break all laws, foreign and domestic, without consequence."

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Looks like they're thinking about it. Seems like moving freight was a loving nightmare today

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Guavanaut posted:

This is the main reason I care about Biden winning in the US, at least he's outright said there'll be consequences if the Dominic Cummings Brain Sphere thinks it'd be a great idea to put trigger happy dickheads on border posts to check trucks, or rob SF offices, or whatever else they're thinking of doing by saying "our guys can break all laws, foreign and domestic, without consequence."

Biden isn't going to do poo poo to the UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's at least not going to gently caress with the House trade committees that have said no trade deal in the event of violating the GFA, rather than going for full :chaostrump:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Marenghi posted:

Leo really tore into NPHET on Claire Byrne live last night.

Seems like the government is a shambles behind the scenes. Leo saying NPHET disagree with HSE and government. Called the CMO as not thinking things through.

And then Donnelly contradicting Leo by saying there’s no animosity between gov and NPHET.

I think this will come back to bite them in a few weeks times.

It seems that the NPHET was in regular communication with the cabinet on Sunday, and informed them immediately after the meeting that they were recommending going to Level 5, so all the posturing about being blindsided by the leak were just that, posturing. I wouldn't be surprised if megabrain Donnelly leaked it himself to gauge public reaction, and when it was overwhelmingly negative they could all jump out to condemn NPHET and courageously rescue the Irish People from their cruel cruel ways.

edit: When Donnelly did his high-speed conversion from SocDem to Independent to loving Fianna Fail, I remember saying that he was either a massive hypocrite with no ethical standards or an insane egotist who genuinely believed he could single-handedly reform FF.

Looks like he might be both! (And also a moron!)

Pookah fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 8, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah it was always both, the egg oval office

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/care2much18/status/1314139750836637699

FG spindoctor Danny Boy having a meltdown this morning. Calling journalists defending their profession when he attacked them for asking about rift between NPHET and gov, instead of asking how the CMO is doing these days.

Hope he’s alright cause suicide isn’t a joke. But he did the same when he got rightly criticized for claiming the golfgate journalists were shinners. It’s gross if he’s using mental health to deflect when he’s called out on his bad takes.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 8, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Struggling to Care2much about this Twitter account either way tbh

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Marenghi posted:

It’s gross he’s using mental health to deflect when he’s called out on his bad takes.
FTFY.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Derry's 14 day per 100k rate sailing past 1000 and now fast approaching 1500

Feel like maybe we're hosed

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Derry's 14 day per 100k rate sailing past 1000 and now fast approaching 1500

Feel like maybe we're hosed

Is it the fault of that one guy?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The Question IRL posted:

Is it the fault of that one guy?

Nah doubt it, am from that area, on the edge of it really, we are not bred for common sense in those parts.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Every fucker apparently went to a lovely old funfair that was in town lol. This is apparently the price Derry folk are prepared to pay to uphold the annual tradition of the riding of the teacups :catstare:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

crispix posted:

Every fucker apparently went to a lovely old funfair that was in town lol. This is apparently the price Derry folk are prepared to pay to uphold the annual tradition of the riding of the teacups :catstare:

Everyone's blaming the funfair while politely ignoring every bar in town started serving stew and putting out empty pizza boxes to get around the restrictions on alcohol only being allowed to be served with food and people generally played pretty fast and loose with table capacity / spacing restrictions when they started getting in the way of their 20+ person social gatherings for first communions / night out with mates (as is the Derry tradition to exploit every loophole imaginable).

People are also eager to blame the schools even though with the Derry stats we know only about 12% of cases have been identified in under 19s while 20-40 year olds makes up 42% and 40-60 year olds 33% of cases.

I think it's probably more a combination of deprivation with people not self isolating after getting tested until they get a positive result (and even then I've heard stories of people not isolating after this) because they can't miss work and general widespread scepitism about the government which has developed from decades of Derry people thinking, often rightly, that politicians from out east don't have their interests at heart.

We've even got our own anti-vax PLANdemic councillor loudly complaining this is all a conspiracy and ive heard a couple people moan that this is just trying to make Derry people look bad and really Strabane is the problem

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 8, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I don't think the FUNFUR would have helped matters any, tbh

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1314983199773261824

Didn’t take long for NPHET to be proven correct.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Maybe if we wait a little while longer cases might just go down. Because everyone will have it.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Level 5 for Halloween?? Who knows.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Either Level 5 for Halloween or Level 5 for Christmas. I wonder if Leo is sweating over his comments about NPHET.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Level 5 for both TBH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
In a perfect world, yes.
But they will keep poo poo open to sell all the cheap plastic tat currently in shops for Halloween, let the kiddies go door to door to spread it more, then announce level 5.
Can't see them cancel Halloween, for the THINK OF THE CHILDREN! reaction