Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
you can shoot all the cargo containers on your own capital ship if you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
so i'm stuck on the story mission Patterns in Time? I'm supposed to go to a Vy'Keen system and talk to the cartographer, but I don't have any options outside the 3 normal ones, and none of them advance the quest. I'm in the galaxy with the specific quest marker on it and everything. I'm seeing suggestions to restart the mission, but I'm playing on PS4 and clicking the middle mouse button doesn't really do much.

e: build menu is hosed, too, lmao this is the funnest, buggiest game. time to restart the game i guess

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

Props to whoever mentioned that blasting out the cargo compartments on capital ships doesn’t hurt your faction rep. Got a ridiculous run of fleet warp-ins, three freighters to a spawn, about five consecutive spawns that happened as soon as I cleaned out the last. Topped out my storage.

You can find cargo bulkheads in random fleet cargo pods?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Unfortunately not, sorry for the confusing wording - you can destroy the cargo pods attached to freighters and net their contents (usually space metals, chromatic metal, nanites or freighter modules, explained below), and on normal difficulty you can handily deal with the sentinel gnats that are summoned. The only way to get freighter cargo bulkheads / expansions that I've seen is by clearing a derelict freighter mission.

Farming freighter pods will get you salvaged modules used to buy blueprints to expedition consumables, engine upgrades allowing for freighter summoning in new system types, and the all-important mass teleporter that will allow you to access both the freighter inventory and its cargo space from planetside (I haven't tested its range, but you can apparently access it from systems away).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

One absolutely massive improvement with Origins is that terrestrial and freighter cargo vaults are integrated - meaning, if you build cargo cubes 0 through 3 at your base and cargo rooms 0-3 on your freighter, each given number designation shares inventory with its counterpart, like dropbox for noble gasses. I don't think this was the case previously.

The real benefit is that, at least when in a planetside base, a matter-transmitter upgrade to your freighter allows instant, map-traversal free access to both freighter inventory and your entire cargo storage apparatus. Makes things a whole hell of lot easier when you want to plant some sentient flora and realized you left all your Indium in crate 5 down in the basement.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Too bad. I just started working on my freighter and was hoping that i could upgrade the storage through piracy. How do people use their freighter btw? I cant seem to find a planet i like and the whole industrial base/glitch building seems so daunting. So i am just farming plants for some easy materials to atleast start making some passive money (acid and unstable gel).

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I'm using my freighter to work my way to the centre of Eissamtam. I warp to a black hole system as close to my max range of 5777ly as I can, explore around that system until I get bored then jump through the black hole, explore where I end up and then repeat.
Of course now that portal interference is gone I could just portal to a system close to the centre, but where's the fun in that?
So my freighter is a very useful mobile base and I like to have it in the system I'm in so I can access all my stored stuff and grab whatever I need or drop off stuff if my inventory's getting too full.
When I remember I send my fleet out on expeditions to get stuff and level them up.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Bases have cool views and teleporters so you can move between them easily. Freighters have... um... inventories. So once you have the upgrades to go to other systems and the upgrade to let you use your freighter inventory, you have an extra inventory. If they made the teleporter work both ways in a freighter it'd be more useful but as is... meh. You'll get stuff from frigate missions and such but the freighter game is kind of its own thing that just feeds back into itself.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

After a period of credit investment (enough to get a decent fleet) the frigate expeditions become a way to trade a modest amount of extremely common elements (dihydrogen and tritium, for frigate fuel) for millions of credits. You'll also be able stock up on more advanced building materials (herox, hot ice, cryo pumps, etc) that you can either sell for big money or use to build even more lucrative trade goods.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I teleported to a system known for S Class modules from derelict freighters. The place was rather busy, with other players popping in and out of the system. I swung by the space station to sell the freighter goodies, and some random guy dumped 30 frigate bulkhead modules on me. :dance:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Mailer posted:

Bases have cool views and teleporters so you can move between them easily. Freighters have... um... inventories. So once you have the upgrades to go to other systems and the upgrade to let you use your freighter inventory, you have an extra inventory. If they made the teleporter work both ways in a freighter it'd be more useful but as is... meh. You'll get stuff from frigate missions and such but the freighter game is kind of its own thing that just feeds back into itself.

Well, at least you can still summon your freighter anywhere so no matter what else is going on you're only about 20 seconds away from it at most. Once the hyperdrive is upgraded to give access to all star types, anyway. You also don't have to run power cables to everything in a freighter.

The main downside is sometimes the game forgets the ground exists while you're aboard and drops you into space when you haven't saved in the last 20 minutes. :v:

So what's the deal with living ships? Are they sort of a "just to say you have one" thing or do they fill a niche that other ship types don't? It looks like they have worse base stats than exotics other than tech inventory size, with the added penalty that you can't install anything into them.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Marx Was A Lib posted:

so i'm stuck on the story mission Patterns in Time? I'm supposed to go to a Vy'Keen system and talk to the cartographer, but I don't have any options outside the 3 normal ones, and none of them advance the quest. I'm in the galaxy with the specific quest marker on it and everything. I'm seeing suggestions to restart the mission, but I'm playing on PS4 and clicking the middle mouse button doesn't really do much.

e: build menu is hosed, too, lmao this is the funnest, buggiest game. time to restart the game i guess

On PS4 you use R3 to restart a mission. Just hold it down until it resets.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mailer posted:

My biggest freighter wish would be "let me make bio domes" tbh

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah, a dedicated freighter hydroponics room would be great, so many people build farms in all that space onboard.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

If you want to grow plants on a freighter, you can build hydroponic trays (https://nomanssky.gamepedia.com/Hydroponic_Tray).

I like them better than biodomes because you can build big rows of them, and it's easy to build a bunch of open floorspace on a freighter. Apparently they need electricity now, but that's also not an issue with a freighter.

edit: they used to need fuel, allegedly, but I never had to actually fuel them for them to grow stuff

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Oct 7, 2020

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

An actual room with 16 or more spaces for plants in it that you can daisy chain together and has a central console to harvest all in one go would be great though.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah the "harvest all with one interaction" is my thing, I built a farm on a frigate before I knew that was a thing but I don't know that I'll keep it now, considering

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

One absolutely massive improvement with Origins is that terrestrial and freighter cargo vaults are integrated - meaning, if you build cargo cubes 0 through 3 at your base and cargo rooms 0-3 on your freighter, each given number designation shares inventory with its counterpart, like dropbox for noble gasses. I don't think this was the case previously.

The real benefit is that, at least when in a planetside base, a matter-transmitter upgrade to your freighter allows instant, map-traversal free access to both freighter inventory and your entire cargo storage apparatus. Makes things a whole hell of lot easier when you want to plant some sentient flora and realized you left all your Indium in crate 5 down in the basement.
I'm only just getting started with freighter stuff - does this mean that if I'm on a new planet or whatever, I can access both my freighter storage and storage that's located on another base in a different system?

Also general question, do I need multiples of the creepy base attendants? I need to collect them for an Artemis quest but I've noticed I can hire more of the same kind elsewhere, does every big base need them or are they only there for blueprints?

Man this game has so many conflicting systems and badly overlapping ways of getting the same things, it's like I never stopped playing Destiny.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Do resource deposits recover or grow back over time?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You get 10 storage containers of 20 slots across the entire game. So 200 storage slots total.
However you can build multiple copies of each storage container across the game but whatever you put in storage container 0 will be in all storage container 0s no matter where you access it from.
Putting copies of your storage containers on your freighter makes your storage mobile because you can call your freighter into whatever system you are in (as long as you have the hyperdrive upgrades for green, red and blue stars) and you can then access all your storage while exploring
It’s just so useful.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

hakimashou posted:

you can shoot all the cargo containers on your own capital ship if you want

It's good to be the captain.

Also, really? Are there resources in them and if so do they respawn for later shootings?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Helith posted:

You get 10 storage containers of 20 slots across the entire game. So 200 storage slots total.
However you can build multiple copies of each storage container across the game but whatever you put in storage container 0 will be in all storage container 0s no matter where you access it from.
Putting copies of your storage containers on your freighter makes your storage mobile because you can call your freighter into whatever system you are in (as long as you have the hyperdrive upgrades for green, red and blue stars) and you can then access all your storage while exploring
It’s just so useful.
ahh, ok, that makes sense and explains the numbering! Cheers

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Helith posted:

It’s just so useful.

Does this not work for resources in the main freighter storage you can access from the regular menu? I can spawn my freighter in orbit of the planet I'm walking on but it still says 'out of range' when looking at its storage..

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You need to buy and install the "matter beam" upgrade on your frigate, it's seperate from the ship one

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I probably should have added that you need the matter beam upgrade on your freighter too to access it all.
So have the matter beam upgrade, build all your storage on the freighter and if you are in anything other than a yellow system have the appropriate hyperdrive upgrade to bring your freighter into that system.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

BattleMaster posted:

I like them better than biodomes because you can build big rows of them

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mine would be: let me build a room with a viewing port.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

After playing around on the freighter for a while, I really wish it could be a complete mobile base. I really, really don't like base building, so being able to have even a small base on the freighter with all the tech available would be fantastic.

That being said, the repair mechanic for frigates is :geno:

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

I'm still loving this game but man sometimes the bugs...

I bought a new freighter and am quite pleased by it, but now I cannot use my freighter command room to bring my frigates back in from a mission. Mission is complete but my only option is to "Leave." I tried deleting and recreating the room but still nothin. Anyone else encounter this?

Also still dealing with a mission-related portal issue for a mission where I charge the portal up but it doesn't recognize that it's charged.

None of these things prevent me from creating an 18-biodome base for circuit building and doing math on starbulb yields when I should be doing my real job. Which really is the point.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

blarzgh posted:

Mine would be: let me build a room with a viewing port.
Mine would be let me get rid of that weird green sheen on all the black parts of the outer hull or at least fix the color customization so I can pick anything else.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hyperactive posted:

Mine would be let me get rid of that weird green sheen on all the black parts of the outer hull or at least fix the color customization so I can pick anything else.

I FORGOT ABOUT THIS, I CHANGE MY ANSWER.

(I think this might be a console issue, PC users seem to not have this problem)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

met the perfect pal. His big ears. His paddington-esque waddle. His name which with a bit of imagination is basically "lick oot 'e bum"

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

One thing I have really enjoyed about this a game is you can play anyway you want. Build a massive complex to make billions of credits a day or just enough biodomes to make a couple of fusion igniters a day.

Initially I thought I wouldn’t bother with bases, but now I have two bases with biodomes and three outposts for extracting gases. Once you get a little practice, the building gets easier to do quickly.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Is there a way to end a frigate mission early? I had a convoy of 2x combat and 2x supply and now both combat frigates are damaged and returned. It seems pointless for the supply frigates to continue at this point.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

This might be the coolest alien I've found so far. It's back is so large that if you mount it, your character model isn't even shown. Cosplay as an alien!
I just need to figure out what to name them.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
So I started a permadeath save because I'm a masochist (and that achievement for reaching the center in permadeath is taunting me)

However I'm finding that the game just crashes constantly while in permadeath. I can play normal or Survival just fine, but if I load the PD save, anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes in, the game will crash.

Saw a suggestion on reddit that Borderless windowed mode helps with crashes but it's still doing it.

Any suggestions?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Thundarr posted:

So what's the deal with living ships? Are they sort of a "just to say you have one" thing or do they fill a niche that other ship types don't? It looks like they have worse base stats than exotics other than tech inventory size, with the added penalty that you can't install anything into them.

Aside from looking cool, they only use chromatic metal to fuel the jump drive. I use mine if I'm going to be doing a bunch of jumps so that I don't have to screw around with making warp cells, because I'm that lazy. I have one maxed out with S-class upgrades and it turns/fights/whatevers just fine for all purposes even if the base stats aren't as good as exotics. So I basically end up using it most of the time unless I'm doing something that needs an economy scanner.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

screaden posted:

Do resource deposits recover or grow back over time?

Yeah i had a gamma weed patch right next to my base and it kept growing back but now it hasn't grown back for days.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

Aside from looking cool, they only use chromatic metal to fuel the jump drive. I use mine if I'm going to be doing a bunch of jumps so that I don't have to screw around with making warp cells, because I'm that lazy. I have one maxed out with S-class upgrades and it turns/fights/whatevers just fine for all purposes even if the base stats aren't as good as exotics. So I basically end up using it most of the time unless I'm doing something that needs an economy scanner.

I kind of hosed myself here because I have two antimatter-factories which produce more antimatter than I could ever need. So a living ship isn't something that appealing just based on fuel usage.

That said, I'm also swimming in more chromatic metals than I could ever need, so it's not like I need to make a decision. With enough chromatic metals to bury a galaxy and enough antimatter to blow it up, I can definitely say there will be no problem with fuel regardless of which ship I'm flying. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Yeah the "harvest all with one interaction" is my thing, I built a farm on a frigate before I knew that was a thing but I don't know that I'll keep it now, considering

I have so little interaction with biodomes that I didn't even know there was that functionality. I am the dummy I guess.

Back when inventory space was a nightmare and I didn't want to collect all the stuff to build a lot of domes I just set up colonies on each biome type and I have big disordered outdoor fields of each plant. I harvest them by running through it and mashing harvest.

Libluini posted:

I kind of hosed myself here because I have two antimatter-factories which produce more antimatter than I could ever need. So a living ship isn't something that appealing just based on fuel usage.

That said, I'm also swimming in more chromatic metals than I could ever need, so it's not like I need to make a decision. With enough chromatic metals to bury a galaxy and enough antimatter to blow it up, I can definitely say there will be no problem with fuel regardless of which ship I'm flying. :v:

I built an antimatter factory and then sort of just not used it because it still needs carbon and chromatic metal is actually the easier of the two resources to get a lot of. The same system I built it in has activated indium after all.

Also, in this last update, all the life in that system went extinct, including the weird glitch animals on the planet I built the factory on :(

On the plus side, the system gained a cool planet with glowing purple vegetation and volcanoes.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Oct 7, 2020