Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

is infinite jest closer to harry potter or west wing in terms of its political subtext

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

my infinite jest take is I keep thinking its written by Pynchon

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

StashAugustine posted:

my infinite jest take is I keep thinking its written by Pynchon

a whole genre of contemporary US lit is just dudes trying to be pynchon

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

who is the most unreadable classic author of the english canon joyce or pynchon

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

Joyce.

Except for his fart fetish letters.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i watched this movie called "The Car: Road to Revenge" with the guy who played young Adama from BSG and I always wonder, how do movies like this get made? are they just a money laundering thing? are they someone's pet project? i can't even find a budget for the fuckin thing anywhere, but I guess it was a syfy original

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
“I am seated in an office, surrounded by heads and bodies. My posture is consciously
congruent to the shape of my hard chair.“

ME AT 39: eesh, what editor let you start with this messy attempt at flash?

ME AT 18: I MUST CREATE AN ANGELFIRE PAGE IN HONOR OF THIS GREAT MAN!

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Some Guy TT posted:

i think pynchon is generally good and funny and find ulysses genuinely unreadable, though joyce's love letters are hilarious. real answer is probably ayn rand

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

is infinite jest closer to harry potter or west wing in terms of its political subtext

nowhere close to either really

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

have you ever thumbed through finnegan’s wake?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

double negative posted:

i think pynchon is generally good and funny and find ulysses genuinely unreadable, though joyce's love letters are hilarious

I had a teacher sophomore year of high school that said Finnegans Wake was the hardest book he had ever attempted to understand, so I was all like “Challenge accepted. Once I master this book I will become the new History & Thought of Western Civilizations teacher, adding my predecessor’s women and holdings to my own,” so I used a week’s worth of lunch money to have the local bookstore special order a copy for me. Never made it more than ten pages in. Gave it to a friend as a going away gift when they went to college. No clue what it was about, though I think it had something to do with the Irish.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Someone later told me there’s a storm on the first page.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Alhazred posted:

I prefer Preacher because it ends with the main character learning that getting in touch with his feelings is good and trying to be a badass is bad.

Granted, Preacher dips in-and-out of Ennis's issues (let's make fun of this pervert! let's spend a few issues with my dad in 'Nam!), where The Boys dives wholeheartedly in.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

one time i tried to read gravitys rainbow but my eyes just kept gliding over the words without absorbing a single thing, and after about the 10th time I reached the end of the page without remembering anything I read, I decided to just do other stuff

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/madisonbrek/status/1313599141025583104

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

double negative posted:

real answer is probably ayn rand

this is the winner. the loving john galt speech goes on for like 50 pages of just rambling bullshit

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Some Guy TT posted:

even as someone who enjoyed joyce: joyce by a mile

pynchon also has much more variance in how convoluted he is from passage to passage so even if you dont have the energy to have a headache that day you can plough through with disinterest for a few pages then come back to something more intelligible that is just as likely to leave you sobbing or laughing or tossing the book across the room as the most clusterfuck parts

whereas the only variance in how unreadable joyce is is a monotonically increasing line from the start of his career until the end

but really its:

id much rather struggle through unreadably dense or esoteric or even incessantly winking wankery like the most self-indulgent parts of joyce than quickly read through a 50 page version of a youtube rant from a "small business entrepreneur" inside a car in a starbucks parking lot

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
gravity's rainbow has very little coherent narrative but it's quite readable on a page-by-page basis and i loved it

william gaddis was a lot tougher for me

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Pynchon thinks Hideo Kojima is god so he's clearly onto something

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Pynchon thinks Hideo Kojima is god so he's clearly onto something

What?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

a few weeks(? months?) ago itt i said dua lipa had put out the pop album of the year so far

i am writing to say this statement was incorrect, in fact jessie ware has

i regret the error

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

whose canon is ayn rand part of tho?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

We rented Save Yourselves! and it wasn’t bad. Had a lot of the cast from Search Party and treads a bit on a similar conceit (out of touch New York 30 somethings butting up against realty), so if that annoys you, this may still annoy you. Basically, a device addicted Brooklyn couple take a break from the internet at a remote cabin, completely miss an alien invasion and are forced to assess their life skills on a fundamental level.

Meaning-wise, it declares that we can only save ourselves as a species by putting personal safety and gain aside to save each other, which is laudable, but the ending, which to my mind indicates there’s a third alien race picking best examples of various races, which they determine by pitting them against the race they just relocated, then relocating those survivors to a different planet to begin it all over again mixed millennial bleakness with notions of secular Rapture. Not sure how I feel about that bit, but it was entertaining throughout and the leads are good.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKX9fGvF63E

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

So any thoughts on The Good Lord Bird so far? I'm enjoying it quite a bit, almost obscenely.
Some folks on a facebook lefty group were complaining that they felt it made him look insane but when you're the only moral person in a demon nation of course you're gonna look insane. The quirks all seem to speak for his character, rather than against it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Does it make frederick douglass look like a sincere believer in decorum like the trailer was implying

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

They haven't gotten to Frederick Douglass yet. I think that happens next episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
So I just learned that JRR Tolkein was an anarcho-monarchist

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Kings arise naturally from nature. It is known.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

http://newlevellers.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-deep-politics-of-jared-letos-cult.html

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

it's unclear who writes what on that blog, but the most recent article has this incredible sentence:

quote:

Any of us who have questioned the Covid narrative have had to put up with an inordinate amount of hectoring, name calling, ridicule, and ostracism. I remember when I signed on the artist appeal as part of the Milosevic Defense Committee, and the abuse and anger I faced whenever this topic came up.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Some Guy TT posted:

Does it make frederick douglass look like a sincere believer in decorum like the trailer was implying

Curious about this too since the trailer always has Douglass going all :rolleyes: whenever Brown shows up. But obviously they had a longstanding acquaintance and even if Douglass thought people around Brown were unreliable, he was confident enough about Brown himself that he brought recruits like Shields Green to join up with him. Douglass couldn't go along with the Harpers Ferry raid because hitting a federal armory understandably looked like a suicide mission, but other than strategic disagreements like that he was very much in Brown's corner.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tired: trump faked his positive covid19 test

wired: everyones faking all the positive covid19 tests

Serf
May 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/1314239512646684672?s=20

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuMiq7eg91M

hmmm

extremely high profile voice cast (even if trailer dialogue is eh), but this looks like a far, far, far more direct translation than The Boys or other Amazon initiatives

(tbf the source material is massively better than The Boys)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KFILE/status/1314221303432466432

broke: mulan is bad because its cultural appropriation

woke: mulan is good because it spotlights women in the military

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

vyelkin posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/oct/07/netflix-indicted-by-texas-grand-jury-over-lewd-visual-material-in-cuties

Netflix got indicted by a grand jury in Texas for criminal charges over "Cuties"

wtf is happening in the united states for real

a grand jury would indict a ham sandwich if requested of the ag, this is just a republican pr stunt possibly to drum up support for repealing section 230; "see how uncontrollable tech is!"

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

season finale of the boys is out if you were waiting to binge the series

there are gonna be a lot of weird aoc memes

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"