Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

MyronMulch posted:

I'm assuming that mirroring the selfie camera is for the use case of using your phone like a make-up mirror.

The mirror selfie option only affects the final picture. The preview on the screen looks the same like you’re looking in the mirror but the default off mode makes the picture look like someone took it for you and turning it on gives you the picture that you saw in the preview.

Lightningproof posted:

Hey, maybe this is a dumb question, but as someone who lives in the UK but is currently locked down in Spain, will there be any difference between an iPhone picked up here vs one I get in the UK? Very much need a new phone at this point and am gonna jump from Android to iOS, but don't want to be hampered by slower updates or unavailable features or whatever. Thanks.

Nope. Same phone and you get updates when Apple releases them. It’s not like Android where Google releases an update and then you need to wait for Samsung to implement the update 8 months later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I've got Sonos around the house and love the hell out of them.

Until the app updates and makes them obsolete and I have to throw them in the landfill.

Hey that happened to the Sonos Play speaker I got for a wedding present :hfive:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lightningproof posted:

Hey, maybe this is a dumb question, but as someone who lives in the UK but is currently locked down in Spain, will there be any difference between an iPhone picked up here vs one I get in the UK? Very much need a new phone at this point and am gonna jump from Android to iOS, but don't want to be hampered by slower updates or unavailable features or whatever. Thanks.

I’ve been using a phone bought in the US in the UK for the past 5 years with no issue, should be fine, especially if its unlocked direct from Apple. I’m pretty sure AppleCare+ is global too.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Also for people bemoaning a potential lack of a phone display above 60Hz, what’s the actual useful scenario for a 90-120Hz phone display? The iPad Pro I kind of get, letting the drawn line keep up with the pen tip better, and it obviously makes sense for PC monitors in terms of gaming.

I just don’t see what it brings to a phone other than shorter battery life and a bigger number for marketing to use.

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Cool, thanks everyone. Guess I'm in line for an iPhone 12 as soon as they drop in Spain, then.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Apologies if this has already been answered, but has anyone done the "erase all content and settings" fix to solve the battery drain issue? Just wondering if that actually fixes the issue and what peoples experience has been.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Lightningproof posted:

I think there's a few things that vary if you buy phones from certain countries, especially ones with a less open view of liberties:
- japan has an always on camera shutter
- I think facetime wasn't available in the UAE or saudi arabia?

pretty unlikely that the UK or spain have anything of the sort there though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
"Hi, Speed", eh?

If it's largely about 5G, I'm curious how they're going to play this one up, considering even the B-level brands of smartphones come with it for quite a while now.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

ijyt posted:

Also for people bemoaning a potential lack of a phone display above 60Hz, what’s the actual useful scenario for a 90-120Hz phone display? The iPad Pro I kind of get, letting the drawn line keep up with the pen tip better, and it obviously makes sense for PC monitors in terms of gaming.

I just don’t see what it brings to a phone other than shorter battery life and a bigger number for marketing to use.

Better visibility of text while scrolling, same as on a desktop PC

Smoother animations are also aesthetically pleasing

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

"Hi, Speed", eh?

If it's largely about 5G, I'm curious how they're going to play this one up, considering even the B-level brands of smartphones come with it for quite a while now.

also considering that 5g is accessible/useful to like 0.01% of the u.s.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

"Hi, Speed", eh?

Apple basically refuses to admit any other company exists so I'm not sure they would care. To them 5G is new and therefore it's the most ADVANCED IPHONE EVER.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

Apple basically refuses to admit any other company exists so I'm not sure they would care. To them 5G is new and therefore it's the most ADVANCED IPHONE EVER.

Those phrases are always hilarious. Like, why wouldn't it be the fastest / most advanced iPhone to date? Why would they move backwards? Yet those phrases show up in every keynote. The SHEEPLE eat that poo poo up.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just looked up the iPhone 11 Pro spec to get an idea about the display resolution of the upcoming 12 Pro, since I'm interested. It lists a 3046mAh battery. Last I remember, the rumored battery size of the 12 Pro didn't start with a 3. The rumor is 2775mAh. I sure hope that ain't true.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want ProMotion or I might stick with 7 Plus for another year like a grump.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MrBond posted:

I think there's a few things that vary if you buy phones from certain countries, especially ones with a less open view of liberties:
- japan has an always on camera shutter
- I think facetime wasn't available in the UAE or saudi arabia?

pretty unlikely that the UK or spain have anything of the sort there though.

Yeah correct, my brother lives in the UAE and was always very careful to buy a phone when he came back to the US because of the restrictions that Apple somehow enforced at a device level.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The only thing that will get me to upgrade from my 11 Pro is TouchID.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just looked up the iPhone 11 Pro spec to get an idea about the display resolution of the upcoming 12 Pro, since I'm interested. It lists a 3046mAh battery. Last I remember, the rumored battery size of the 12 Pro didn't start with a 3. The rumor is 2775mAh. I sure hope that ain't true.

It sounds like the performance gains for the A14 are a little lower than in years past, but the efficiency gains are pretty good. So even with a smaller battery it's hard to tell what the effect on battery life will be.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I remember when they iPhone SE 2 specs came out and all the tech nerds were bemoaning how small the battery mAh was compared to even budget android phones and then the real world usage showed like a 25% to 50% increase in battery life over those same phones with bigger batteries?

My point is that mAh is meaningless and if Apple needs to shrink the battery to fit in a new lens or w/e but offsets that with increases to the efficiency of their processor to hit the same "all day battery" target, they'll do that.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the iphone thread: specs are meaningless, until they aren't

i mean, i agree with you: apple's not going to intentionally ship a phone with noticeably worse battery life, so i don't even bother thinking about their batteries these days, to be honest.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm hoping to upgrade to a 12 Pro Max (at some point, not sure if it'll be right at launch) because I've got an 18 month old X with a battery at 85% health.

I'd get a new battery to hold myself over for a while, but I've got some cracks in my screen too and it feels like time for a new one.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
give me my iphone mini Tim apple!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i use an og se and i want the mini but can’t justify it

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m getting a mini since I found the smallest buttonless iPhones to be just too big. Having it be smaller than a 8/SE2 but actually have a bigger screen would own.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I hope the iPhone 12 mini comes in the same blue color that the AW Series 6 comes in. I want the mini and I want it to match my watch dammit!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Endless Mike posted:

How long has it been? Sometimes things need time to restore.

I dislike how opaque and hands off this stuff can be with Apple. Sometimes it's hard to tell if something's just not working, or if it hasn't finished (or even started) syncing yet.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

What kinda phone you think the flagship will be like? I don’t think Apple can pull a Willy Wonka.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

four different sizes is a bit much

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Iphone 12 now with innovative touchID

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I think the speed thing must refer to 5G, but I don’t really see why anyone would care much for phones - latency is nice, but everything else is more relevant for iPads and Laptops & 4K streaming.

Imagine if they start selling a home 5G router - as someone dealing with incompetent cable installers, there’d be a lot of a appeal.

Or what if they just, at long last, put 4G/5G radios in their laptops like every other pro level laptop has as an option?

ijyt posted:

I’ve been using a phone bought in the US in the UK for the past 5 years with no issue, should be fine, especially if its unlocked direct from Apple. I’m pretty sure AppleCare+ is global too.

Applecare is global, but the EU / UK automatic extended warranty via consumer protection laws on all goods is not.

In the Uk I got a dead, near 2 year old XS max replaced for free, with no AppleCare at all.

Would they do the same if you bought in the USA - I suspect not.

The only other thing to watch is bands for 3G/4G/5G

No idea what the latest situation is with iPhone 11 & 12, but older iPhones in the USA did not necessarily support all bands in the UK, and there was a difference if you got it via Verizon or AT&T.

Housh posted:

Do this anyway for the fingerprint unlock.
While Covid is a thing, face unlock is a pain.

wooger fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 8, 2020

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

You can check bands on the Apple site - the 6S Plus from a US apple store for example had all UK bands, but yeah the UK consumer law is a good point. I might have been able to get this phone replaced considering the camera fault is within the 6 year max, but eh.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

wooger posted:

The only other thing to watch is bands for 3G/4G/5G

No idea what the latest situation is with iPhone 11 & 12, but older iPhones in the USA did not necessarily support all bands in the UK, and there was a difference if you got it via Verizon or AT&T.

This is a nonissue for UK/EU phones. There is typically a North American phone with some bands swapped out for Verizon, a Chinese phone with whatever, and then a global one for the rest of the world. Maybe Japan has their own model as well but a phone purchased in Spain will be 100% compatible with every other European nation at the very least.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my discount carrier is unlikely to offer 5G before the next (e.g., the one after next week) iPhone or 2, so I’m not too worried (not like Canada has a nationwide 5g network at the moment anyway) - tbh I mostly don’t care about it because the speeds will overwhelm most of the available plans, anyway, and LTE is pretty fast.

so with that said, if 5g is all the big stuff they have to offer on new models this year, I’ll be mildly bored. hopefully some cool software or hardware tricks have yet to be leaked.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the rumor is just 5g on the pros?

Anyway like we’re this far into iPhone maturity we kind of know what we’re getting. This is also a new form factor year which some people resonate more with.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Dave posted:

Anyway like we’re this far into iPhone maturity we kind of know what we’re getting. This is also a new form factor year which some people resonate more with.

for sure, i just enjoy the reveal of some new feature that all the android fans (ugh, cell phone fans) will make fun of, then slowly stop mocking as all android phone makers add it to their products

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

The Dave posted:

Rumor is the fast 5G is only on the Pro models, while all models get the slower 5G.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I already have 5g. It says so in the corner :v:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

The 5G Coverage for my area in Sydney Australia conveniently does not include my street. It's like a magical black hole.

Does 5g offer any kind of battery efficiency gains? That was kind of a big deal with 4g, I thought. Everything I hear about 5g says it'll be worse.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It might be more efficient eventually.. theory being the less time your phone spends transmitting/receiving data the more battery it will save.

But I'm not sure the 5G chips are super efficient yet. They might be, I'm sure they've been improving rapidly, but the first gen stuff was reportedly a power hog.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Housh posted:

Man I still have a 7 Plus and even with a battery swap this thing is feeling OLD. Still prefer TouchID to FaceID though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Laserface posted:

The 5G Coverage for my area in Sydney Australia conveniently does not include my street. It's like a magical black hole.

Does 5g offer any kind of battery efficiency gains? That was kind of a big deal with 4g, I thought. Everything I hear about 5g says it'll be worse.

Just like each cell generation, the first year or two it def is harder on the battery because the 5G was a separate chip. I think we are at the point where 5G phones don’t have worse battery life, but it def won’t help.

5G is a absolute cluster gently caress in the US right now, speeds are gonna be all over the place depending on what carrier you are on, where you live, etc.

The ultimate goal for all the carriers is 5G on Low, Mid and High band, but they’re taking different routes to get there. It’s still like, 2-3 years away from real coverage and speed increases (5G home internet goes hand in hand with that).