Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Deviant posted:

home ownership is like buying a mess and spending the rest of your life trying to clean it up

the tree is out, but they had to grind through my sprinkler line to do it.

Now that you've dealt with the root of the problem, the rest should just be minor irrigations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nevets posted:

Now that you've dealt with the root of the problem, the rest should just be minor irrigations.

you come into my new home and you disrespect me like this

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

How difficult is it to install a dishwasher into a kitchen that has never had one before?

Depends on the hookups and space!

Mine was fairly simple but also sucked because every time you touch something in an old home, five other fixes take its place.

If you have the hookups and the space, it’s basically push it into place, plug it into an outlet, connect the drain to the insinkerator, and run a tap off the hot water.

Mine? I had to replace the sink shutoffs with non leaky quarter turn valves. I’d already replaced the insinkerator, so that was good. I was also able to connect it to the switched outlet I’d put in for the insinkerator, but while demoing the cabinets I needed to move and fix the electrical box connected to the backsplash which led to me running up a new dedicated circuit for the fridge (which I decided to move because of getting rid of the cabinets opened up some space).

From there I removed the old cabinets, and circular sawed the countertop to the new length. Cut plywood for the under counter spacer and cabinet end, shot some nails and glue to hold it into place. Slid the new dishwasher in, hooked it up, and it’s been great for... four years now I think. Much better than the one you had to roll up and connect to the sink faucet... what a huge upgrade.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My hinges arrived but they are the wrong zig zag pattern and literally the only kind I can find with the correct pattern is the one with ball finneals, so it looks like I'm spending $60 on hinges for a single door after all :negative:

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Apparently it’s fall stink bug season in Kansas City. These little bastards just showed up today. We moved to this house earlier this year - we’ve lived in the KC area for nearly two decades but I don’t remember them arriving in force in our past houses so I don’t know what gives.

Does anyone have a good method of getting rid of them / keeping them out of the house? I’ve read they like to get up in attics for the winter - my soffit vents have screens so I’m not too worried about that. My bigger concern is that we open the door several times a day to let dogs out and a few have made it inside already. Getting them out of the house is a pain in the rear end due to the whole stink thing. If there is any way to get them out of the immediate house area that would be great. Thanks!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

csammis posted:

Apparently it’s fall stink bug season in Kansas City. These little bastards just showed up today. We moved to this house earlier this year - we’ve lived in the KC area for nearly two decades but I don’t remember them arriving in force in our past houses so I don’t know what gives.

Does anyone have a good method of getting rid of them / keeping them out of the house? I’ve read they like to get up in attics for the winter - my soffit vents have screens so I’m not too worried about that. My bigger concern is that we open the door several times a day to let dogs out and a few have made it inside already. Getting them out of the house is a pain in the rear end due to the whole stink thing. If there is any way to get them out of the immediate house area that would be great. Thanks!
Fill a mason jar with about 1/3 of rubbing alcohol. Hold the jar below the stink bug. They will fall right in. Catch a bunch. Twist the lid on and wait for the next incursion. I say only fill the jar 1/3 of the way because depending on how many you have--you can fill the jar to 2/3's pretty quick....

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

csammis posted:

Enjoy your new roommates! Once they lay eggs in your walls, that’s pretty much the end of it.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I caught a mouse. It was just chilling, sitting in the middle of the floor, and waited while I got a bucket and trapped it. It squeaked so I know it's still alive. Left it chilling while I went to work.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

NomNomNom posted:

I caught a mouse. It was just chilling, sitting in the middle of the floor, and waited while I got a bucket and trapped it. It squeaked so I know it's still alive. Left it chilling while I went to work.

You may want to weigh that bucket down with something heavier so it doesn't escape.

What are you going to do?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Mice can chew through plastic

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Doors are hung! :eng99: I guess I should have specified a tolerance when I told the framer the dimensions. The door is hung really balanced right now but I was going to fill in the void before trying to cover that huge gap with trim pieces, any ideas?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Uhhh I don't think your framer did a very good job.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Hed posted:

Doors are hung! :eng99: I guess I should have specified a tolerance when I told the framer the dimensions. The door is hung really balanced right now but I was going to fill in the void before trying to cover that huge gap with trim pieces, any ideas?

Window and door foam—spritz a can into the void, cover with trim. Easy peasy, and insulates the wall.

E: on second glance that’s an interior door, right, just nail in some trim.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

OSU_Matthew posted:

Window and door foam—spritz a can into the void, cover with trim. Easy peasy, and insulates the wall.

Trim + stuff a bit of insulation in there, should be good.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

csammis posted:

Apparently it’s fall stink bug season in Kansas City.

For some reason, Pennsylvania gets all the new bugs first, so we've been dealing with stink bugs for decades. There's no great way to deal with them, besides the typical pesticide sprays. They look fat, but they are able to squeeze into the tiniest openings, so they'll end up in the house eventually.

Wait until you get the newest China-import pest: spotted lanternflies. They don't climb in your house, but they're more destructive to plants/trees than the stinkbug.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

falz posted:

Trim + stuff a bit of insulation in there, should be good.

OSU_Matthew posted:

Thanks guys! I'll put some insulation in there since, while yes there's a door here and all, all the walls and ceiling are insulated for sound since this will be a home office.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

csammis posted:

Getting them out of the house is a pain in the rear end due to the whole stink thing

The first summer I spent at the apartment I used to live at I suddenly had a fly problem and figured there had to be something dead or rotting somewhere but I couldn't find it. I tried some simple traps with apple cider vinegar and that sort of thing but the flies showed absolutely no interest. Within a few days there were literally hundreds of them—I had a huge window facing the sun that they all liked to sit on like a writhing curtain.

The worst part was that if you squished them they released this awful, bitter smell that would stick in your nose and mouth for days. Management was useless but I eventually identified them as cluster flies which are harmless other than smelling awful and giving you nightmares.

Anyway, I would obviously seal up any cracks you can and try pesticide outdoors, but the best way I found to get rid of them from indoors was to suck them up with a little shop vac.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

OSU_Matthew posted:

Enjoy your new roommates! Once they lay eggs in your walls, that’s pretty much the end of it.
Stink bugs in particular are simply looking for a place to sleep out the cold months. They don't breed, poop, or die when are looking for a spot to hang out. Except for the smelling to high hell when you kill them--stink bugs aren't that bad of an invader.

If you haven't tried the jar of rubbing alcohol trick--give it a try. You can catch a dozen bugs in seconds and there is never an odor versus spraying them with stuff that is going to get on your walls/ceilings/etc. or trying to gently pick them up with a tissue and flushing them--your fingers still end up smelling and it wastes a lot of flushes...

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Thanks for the stink bug input! I'm definitely going to try the mason jar + rubbing alcohol idea once the day warms up and they come out again.

Wallet posted:

the best way I found to get rid of them from indoors was to suck them up with a little shop vac.

The only problem I have with that is then I've got a shop vac full of stink bugs. At least I can just cap the mason jar and then...uh...huck it into the Kansas River I guess. I can't make it worse than it already is.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You could also huck the shopvac into the river, if needed.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

actionjackson posted:

have any of you guys had your kitchen cabinets repainted? how much did it cost? I have a small place, but would like to get my maple cabinets painted and hardware added

first email I got

would you say this is typical? The 4k-6k range was higher than I expected. But most people have much bigger kitchens than mine.

It looks like the satin impervo oil is pretty standard, there's also a water based option

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/interior-exterior-paints-stains/product-catalog/siallp/satin-impervo

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/interior-exterior-paints-stains/product-catalog/wsip/waterborne-satin-impervo

The main difference seems to be that if after it's put on, with the oil one you don't really want to be in the home while it dries for 24 hours. They obviously do the drawers/doors elsewhere, but you still have the outer shell being painted.

I did this a couple months ago myself. It was probably ~$350 to do it myself, and an insane amount of work. So. Many. Corners. I could see someone charging that. I also wouldn't pay it.

As an FYI I'd suggest 48 hours for ventilation afterwards. We didn't wait long enough and had a couple of very loopy days in the house - even after letting it set for 24 hours and ventilating like mad.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

csammis posted:

Thanks for the stink bug input! I'm definitely going to try the mason jar + rubbing alcohol idea once the day warms up and they come out again.

The only problem I have with that is then I've got a shop vac full of stink bugs. At least I can just cap the mason jar and then...uh...huck it into the Kansas River I guess. I can't make it worse than it already is.

You could use a vacuum with a bag that you can just get rid of immediately after. I used a shop vac because the vessel was non-porous and easy to leave soaking in some soap and water outdoors for however long it took for the stink to vacate.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
I had my cabinets painted this past July by CertaPro. I got 3 estimates; the other 2 from local companies, and all were in the low $5k range.

CertaPro sprayed my cabinets and set up a make shift paint booth in my basement and sprayed the doors there, front and back. They did not paint the inside of the cabinets - only up to and including the lip of the doors. The other 2 companies would have done the same. I also had new hardware installed.

It was a tremendous undertaking, but the quality is very good, especially since it was sprayed. They painted and then clear-coated with a satin finish.

Before and After:

Walls painted in this photo (ignore the mess)

Certa Pro also painted my entire 2300 sqft house. The painting alone was $5k. So to put it into perspective, painting the entire house was the same as just the cabinets.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

let's talk about light bulbs.

what color temperatures y'all like for bedroom/bathroom/main space?

2700K seems too yellow for my liking.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deviant posted:

2700 bedroom
2700 or 3000 main
5000 office and bathroom

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Deviant posted:

2700K for bedrooms, living areas (especially those used at night)
3000K kitchen
5000K basement, garage

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

But I hate 2700k so much, it looks yellow and ugly :(

I might try 3000 and see how it plays in bedrooms.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

In commercial it mostly goes 2700 in bathrooms or social spaces, 3000-3500 in workspaces, 4100 in back-of-house/parking garage/mechanical.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Deviant posted:

WiFi CCT bulbs that you can change the temperatures at will. Like the 2700K end for hanging out. Like the 5000K for working/cleaning. i.e. Kitchen lights are 5000K until 9PM then switch to 2700K until 5AM when they go back to 5000K. (Home Assistant handles the automatic temp changing.)

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Deviant posted:

I just buy random ones of different color and mash them together. Works well.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

4000k everywhere but the bathroom, 3500k there.
Living room and bedroom and corridors have cream shades that temper most of the light down a little (similar to 3000-3500k) but the light reflecting off the ceiling is 4000k. Dining room is a crappy white paper shade so effectively 4000k there. Kitchen is 4000k spots.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We replaced the 4 bulbs in our living room ceiling fan fixture with Philips Hue bulbs and absolutely love it. We actually use different color schemes quite a bit more than I figured we would, it makes a pretty huge difference.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i might do more Hue eventually but for now i just need to get light bulbs into all the sockets, lol. So if i change out a $2 bulb later, it's no big deal.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Deviant posted:

But I hate 2700k so much, it looks yellow and ugly :(

Maybe it's a generational thing: those that grew up with incandescent bulbs prefer the 'soft white' glow of those vs. harsher whites/blues.

There is a fair amount of evidence that the warmer temps are better for you at night due to the cooler temps interfering more with melatonin production.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

Maybe it's a generational thing: those that grew up with incandescent bulbs prefer the 'soft white' glow of those vs. harsher whites/blues.

There is a fair amount of evidence that the warmer temps are better for you at night due to the cooler temps interfering more with melatonin production.

I never feel like the 60w 2700ks throw enough light. Maybe 75ws are the way for me.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

HycoCam posted:

WiFi CCT bulbs that you can change the temperatures at will. Like the 2700K end for hanging out. Like the 5000K for working/cleaning. i.e. Kitchen lights are 5000K until 9PM then switch to 2700K until 5AM when they go back to 5000K. (Home Assistant handles the automatic temp changing.)
The future is now. For some reason the POs were using super bright white lights everywhere, and it was the weirdest thing. I wonder if the realtor just swapped it out bulbs to give the house more pop. I switched it out with soft yellow and haven't looked back since.

Also, there are some random patches of grass growing in my Bermuda grass, and I can't decide if it's crabgrass or st.augustine grass that's spreading.

I had a nightmare that what I assumed was St. Augustine grass or a similar variety was actually crab grass that's grown out of hand and taken over my entire yard. It's been driving me crazy. When I try to Google for pictures, it looks exactly the same.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Deviant posted:

2300 inside, 3000 outside.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Speaking of haunted home zone, wife wanted to make some decorations for the house. Bought some 4'x4' sanded 3-ply pine (super thin) - $20/sheet plus a jigsaw. Lowes wouldn't sell paint for curbside pickup so wise old me thought "I'll just run to sherwin williams and buy some primer!" They were nearly picked clean of exterior primer save for their primo-paint-your-house-for-30-years primer. Fine, $26, and the label says it's enough sq ft. before I cut down the boards, should be plenty! Well those boards sucked that paint to their core and so I went and bought a gallon for $63.

:homebrew:

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Speaking of haunted home zone, wife wanted to make some decorations for the house. Bought some 4'x4' sanded 3-ply pine (super thin) - $20/sheet plus a jigsaw. Lowes wouldn't sell paint for curbside pickup so wise old me thought "I'll just run to sherwin williams and buy some primer!" They were nearly picked clean of exterior primer save for their primo-paint-your-house-for-30-years primer. Fine, $26, and the label says it's enough sq ft. before I cut down the boards, should be plenty! Well those boards sucked that paint to their core and so I went and bought a gallon for $63.

:homebrew:
I keep wanting to do my own Halloween projects, but with all the essential stuff I have to finish up, I'll probably end up caving in and getting everything from the dollar store.

Funny enough, I had the exact opposite experience where I ended up trying to paint over the wainscoting with paint that included primer. After three or four coats, I ended up just buying actual primer for the other rooms. Made my life a whole lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My wife is proud of me every day that I come home and don't have the Home Depot 12 foot skeleton in tow. $300 is too much for an impulse buy, but she was not so lucky when it came to the $80 banjo skeletons from Costco.