Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pillars of Eternity 2 has a super cool setting and is beautiful, but i hate its combat so I just use cheats to power through all fight so I can keep doing the roleplaying part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

blue squares posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 has a super cool setting and is beautiful, but i hate its combat so I just use cheats to power through all fight so I can keep doing the roleplaying part

Yeah, despite praising Pillars of Eternity 2, I feel the combat is a minus for it. It is an improvement on PoE and Tyranny, but it is still pretty eh. Definitely a good game despite it. Turn-based mode is better, but it is clear the game was not built for it and the encounter design goes from bad to rubbish in turn-based mode because it has a lot of trash fights that go from "10 second skirmish" in rtwp to "5 minute affair" in turn-based mode.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I can't believe they are not forcing us to buy a EA game at 60 bucks

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
The thing that I feel is kinda weird from Larian is that in all their games, they have super intense grimdark concept art that would fit stuff like the Disciples series.

And then in the final implementation, the visual style is happy and colorful contrasted with some body horror crap in the enemy encounters. Kinda giving some whiplash there.
I enjoy it though, but dang, the difference between some of the concept art and the initial presentation is pretty wild.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Call Your Grandma posted:

sounds like a very unethical person. also, intra-party conflict is good and makes for much more interesting narratives. this is why Vegeta is one of the most iconic heroes of our time.

:crossarms:

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Are y'all complaining about skill checks leading to negative results again? Read the drat text and don't just click on things with brackets. Wasteland 3 absolutely screws you over if you blindly click skill checks the first time you meet the Patriarch you can med skill check his hand tremor and he HATES you if you do it and New Vegas: Dead Money is full of checks that ultimately lead to bad endings if you click them: Don't let Dean know that you're smart.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
It’s just the one time in the latter. Which is initially infuriating but ultimately brilliant.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Propaganda Hour posted:

...and New Vegas: Dead Money is full of checks that ultimately lead to bad endings if you click them: Don't let Dean know that you're smart.

I understand the desire to be friends with all your NPC companions, but that is a case where you it is okay if you are not all buddy-buddy. A bad ending for him is a good ending for everyone else.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Propaganda Hour posted:

Are y'all complaining about skill checks leading to negative results again? Read the drat text and don't just click on things with brackets. Wasteland 3 absolutely screws you over if you blindly click skill checks the first time you meet the Patriarch you can med skill check his hand tremor and he HATES you if you do it and New Vegas: Dead Money is full of checks that ultimately lead to bad endings if you click them: Don't let Dean know that you're smart.

iirc the only check that truely matters is the initial bartering check because you put Dean in his place and tell him he's not in a position of power. That makes him turn on you later on.

you can more or less tell Dean to gently caress off otherwise

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Luisfe posted:

The thing that I feel is kinda weird from Larian is that in all their games, they have super intense grimdark concept art that would fit stuff like the Disciples series.

And then in the final implementation, the visual style is happy and colorful contrasted with some body horror crap in the enemy encounters. Kinda giving some whiplash there.
I enjoy it though, but dang, the difference between some of the concept art and the initial presentation is pretty wild.

Yea I thought divinity 2 had some pretty absurd tonal dissonance where it comes across as trying to be funny before immediately giving you a detailed description of a crucified person’s suffering. the result is the worst of both worlds where the grimdark poo poo isn’t something you can take seriously because you just got through a stealth section where the game represents going into concealment by making giant barrels and bushes comically appear around your characters, while simultaneously the goofy poo poo isn’t actually funny next to the rest of the subject matter

Best turn based strategy game I ever played though

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Yea I thought divinity 2 had some pretty absurd tonal dissonance where it comes across as trying to be funny before immediately giving you a detailed description of a crucified person’s suffering. the result is the worst of both worlds where the grimdark poo poo isn’t something you can take seriously because you just got through a stealth section where the game represents going into concealment by making giant barrels and bushes comically appear around your characters, while simultaneously the goofy poo poo isn’t actually funny next to the rest of the subject matter

Best turn based strategy game I ever played though

Ya that sums up my complaints about OS2 also the itemization and equipment system was not good having all your stuff be invalidated on level up sucks even if you can bring it up. Its a Shame and I'm not sure why people gave it so much praise when every thing outside of the combat is so rough.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I imagine the lack of any real competition has something to do with it. The last few years have been pretty anemic when it comes to good isometric RPGs. There's maybe one or two on the market every few years that are worth any attention.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
What the **** is this ******** ****** in my ********** preferences?

https://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/2855803154584367416

quote:

Chat Filtering Now Available on Steam
Obscure the most commonly used strong profanity and slurs with Chat Filtering

Available now through Steam, Chat Filtering allows people to customize the language they see from others on the platform. The new Steam feature takes the chat filtering we built for games like CS:GO, Destiny 2, and Dota 2, and moves it into Steam for a customized experience that is consistent across supporting games, the Steam desktop client, web, and mobile chat experiences.

By default, strong profanity and slurs from people you don't know are now obscured in Steam Chat and supporting games. You can set your preferences to turn this off, or to control whether you want the default filters to also apply to chat messages from your Steam Friends. You can also select the type of language that is filtered. And because each player’s tolerance for difficult words is unique, we’ve included the ability to add or remove words to form your personal filter. You may also upload lists of words or phrases from other sources, enabling groups and communities to work together to define and share your own sets of language guidelines. We believe this level of control is especially important given that language is constantly evolving and is used differently among various communities around the world. With Steam chat filtering, we've made sure you can choose to filter language as much as you want, or not at all.

Edit: Also the Steam Game Festival: Autumn Edition starts today

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How does it handle Scunthorpe?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Double post

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 7, 2020

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ultrafilter posted:

very carefully

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

blue squares posted:

It was at a certain point, I want to say fights with an incomplete team on both por 1 and tyranny led me to say gently caress it and set it to story mode difficulty and keep it that way.

The combat is definitely a minus, and I think this applies to almost all obsidian games, with combat is usually the weakest point in comparison to the rest.

How did Nier Automata get handled, it was Platinum games just doing the combat portion and Square handling the story? Or maybe a not so popular one, Team Ninja doing Metroid Other Ms combat, and Sakamoto with the horrible story?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Fargin Icehole posted:

How did Nier Automata get handled, it was Platinum games just doing the combat portion and Square handling the story?
Less Square and more Taro Yoko. It's his project, really, and he wrote the entire script. Square, to the best of my knowledge, is really just the publisher.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

It filters to 'humanity’s greatest sin against God'.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Less Square and more Taro Yoko. It's his project, really, and he wrote the entire script. Square, to the best of my knowledge, is really just the publisher.

Yeah the square bosses love yt and kind of let him do whatever

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

$60 for a broken, unfinished EA game? You can gently caress right off with that poo poo, Larian. People are just cool with paying full price for EA now?

https://twitter.com/LarAtLarian/status/1313598859596226563

:shrug:

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

$60 for a broken, unfinished EA game? You can gently caress right off with that poo poo, Larian. People are just cool with paying full price for EA now?

I opened up my Steam Activity Feed and nine of my friends had bought it immediately. I haven't seen a same-game blob on my friends list for a long time.

I don't get it either, but apparently, yes, people are very okay with it.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Master_Odin posted:

Iron Danger - 5Y4PE-MDXK3-B3IDJ
Lurked with zero acknowledgement :/

Is it part of a bundle somewhere?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Lurked with zero acknowledgement :/

Is it part of a bundle somewhere?

Current humble choice.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Codeacious posted:

I opened up my Steam Activity Feed and nine of my friends had bought it immediately. I haven't seen a same-game blob on my friends list for a long time.

I don't get it either, but apparently, yes, people are very okay with it.

Video games are fuckin weird. I'm trying to imagine, like, a book publisher selling first drafts and outlines or like movie studios selling workprints with no vfx or post production. I get the idea of EA as a funding and testing mechanism, with the trade off being a reduced early-adopter price. I've bought into a few EA games myself. But the idea that the value is seen by a lot of folks as completely independent of the game being complete is honestly a bit mind-boggling to me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They knew what they were doing. This is Baldur's Gate, one of the last video game IPs that hasn't been totally wrung of value. They could sell a poop sandwich and it would still sell if it was called Baldur's Gate 3.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Video games are fuckin weird. I'm trying to imagine, like, a book publisher selling first drafts and outlines or like movie studios selling workprints with no vfx or post production.
Well, serial novels are a thing, I guess, although those expected you to buy each new chapter as it was published instead of expecting you pay full price for the whole thing up-front.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

No Wave posted:

They knew what they were doing. This is Baldur's Gate, one of the last video game IPs that hasn't been totally wrung of value. They could sell a poop sandwich and it would still sell if it was called Baldur's Gate 3.

I thought about this, but the converse isn't true: there are early access games that do incredibly well without being a known IP. What was the MMO everyone was freaking out over a few months ago? New World, right?

I still don't know why that one did well but it was undoubtedly a huge EA launch, despite being a totally new thing. I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on the top of the Steam Store.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The fact that there’s already 25 hours of content in there helps, if it was something where I’d be done with what’s in there in five hours I wouldn’t pay 60 bucks for it and I don’t think most people would either.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I mean yeah if some author I liked was selling the first draft of his book and was taking feedback on it I would buy it

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I imagine no marketing drone worth their salt wouldn't try improve the chances of the product by slapping a well-known and respected name on top of it if they had the opportunity, even if there's always the possibility of an EA game making it big entirely on its own merits.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Anyone playing The Solitaire Conspiracy? Looks like a really neat idea

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

The Chad Jihad posted:

I mean yeah if some author I liked was selling the first draft of his book and was taking feedback on it I would buy it

oh no what have i done

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I would not read anything by an author who openly let fans influence their story

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Is the Warhams Inquisitor ARPG any good? It's 70% off at the moment and I've sorta had my eye on it, but for some reason I can't quite bring myself to actually buy it yet.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Getting to mess around in mechanically dense games before they get properly balanced and tested is fun, imo. I’m gonna buy it anyway, might as well get some extra enjoyment out of tinkering around for the next year or whatever.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Let me know if I’m stretching here but maybe a lot of people actually do like the games Larian has made recently.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Zephro posted:

Is the Warhams Inquisitor ARPG any good? It's 70% off at the moment and I've sorta had my eye on it, but for some reason I can't quite bring myself to actually buy it yet.

Consensus seems to be that the 2.0 updates really improved it and that if you like 40k it's a safe buy. That said, it is supposedly solid, but not incredible.

I plan to pick it up after work if you were looking for people to play with.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Meridian posted:

Consensus seems to be that the 2.0 updates really improved it and that if you like 40k it's a safe buy. That said, it is supposedly solid, but not incredible.

I plan to pick it up after work if you were looking for people to play with.

Played it on PS4 and quite enjoyed it. I will say there are 2 cons i can leverage against it:
1. It is an always online single player game, even on ps4 - which I absolutely hate. But i guess thats life. So if it is on gog, buy it there. I dont think it is.
2. You use a galaxy map to navigate your base to areas/missions. You can "zoom" into/out of locations. There are like 4-5 layers of this. This can get really confusing in terms of where you need to go and what utility all the other locations serve. It is a literal spiderweb and it is way more confusing than it should be. The game does sign post main missions via a purple highlight on locations.
---To clarify, the game is spit into missions and is not open world. You select which mission you want via this map. There are a of (side) missions to choose from for various rewards/difficulties.
Additional (more minor) cons:
a. There are some vehicle-based missions (i think i remember 2 of these) these are just not good. Luckily, there are not many of them.

What i did like:
- Classes and sub-classes: there are 3 main classes and a 4th if you have the dlc. Each class has 3 sub-classes. So there is a good amount of variation. These are more directionally focused (the sub-classes) than hard classes as i remember. Your actual abilities are totally dependent on what weapons you are using.
- The weapons: There are a lot of different weapons. You can carry 2 and alternate between them. skills have cool-downs are you would expect. Switching resets these.
- The actual combat is fun

Overall i liked it. It has parts of it that are a bit more opaque than they rightfully should be. But once you understand the (few) systems that are harder than they should be, it is a good time if you like arpgs

strategery fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Zephro posted:

I got it free on Xbox and found it tedious and slow. Slow paced combat, no convenient way to sort by gear effects, no clear way to craft gear with desired effects. Since it’s aping diablo skill progression starts off very unsatisfying, and it couldn’t hold my attention to see if it got better.

I think I got like 5+ missions in and it was drip feeding the story so slowly that I gave up.